Telltale Says iPhone Is "Much More Powerful" Than Wii

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Telltale Says iPhone Is "Much More Powerful" Than Wii

One member of Tales of Monkey Island developer Telltale Games is blaming technical issues with the WiiWare version of their game on Nintendo's hardware, which they claim is much less powerful than even the iPhone.

Reports are coming in that the WiiWare version of Telltale Games' Tales of Monkey Island's first episode is far from perfect. Apparently there are numerous graphical hitches, and the audio is compressed to the point where the quality seriously dips - a big problem in a game as dialogue heavy as an adventure game.

One Telltale developer by the name of Yare is saying that disgruntled gamers shouldn't be looking at Telltale to lay the blame on, however. "The voices and textures are the way they are because we're limited to 40 megs for WiiWare titles," Yare wrote. "The PC versions of our games are usually 150+ megs, and most modern games range anywhere from 1-10 gigabytes or more. Talk to Nintendo about this one."

Indeed, Yare seems to be extremely unhappy about working on the Wii. "Frame rate issues will probably get sorted out eventually, but keep in mind that the Wii is just not a powerful console," Yare wrote. "An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even."

Other Telltale staff echoed Yare's statements about the limitations of the Wii while arguing that Telltale had to do what they had to do. "So when all was said and done we had to make a choice of either cutting content or compressing the voice more than usual," a Telltale poster named Will said. "It was a pretty damn hard decision, but the last thing we wanted to do was cut out dialog from the wii version that was in the PC version. In the end I feel we made the right choice."

Telltale says that these issues aren't "something we want to happen again," so they're "working hard" to make sure the second episode doesn't suffer the same problems. Whether that means coming up with some new tricks for audio compression or designing the game around the hardware limitations, let's hope it doesn't detract from the Tales of Monkey Island experience.

Oh Wii...you're a pathetic little white cuboid for casual gamers. Why do you try to sport serious-style games?

wii fails again

If they knew it wasn't going to be powerful enough to run it, why did they continue to market a buggy game?

Hmmm...

You'd think they would try to work out something with Nintendo to give them more space for the title.

This saddens me a bit as I was really looking forward to playing this. I'll most likely hold off until they release a package of all the episodes much like they did with the Sam and Max series.

mikecoulter:
If they knew it wasn't going to be powerful enough to run it, why did they continue to market a buggy game?

This, this isnt Nintendos fault. I dont own a Wii but what is does it does well. it isnt Designed for these kind of games in mind (speech heavy) so if a developer wants to do one then make it work or bugger off. Telltale games decided to roll the dice on this version in order to make more cash via the Wii's massive casual market

So they're trying to fit a 150 MB game into a 40 MB space and they're surprised when it doesn't work out well? Lovely.

Also, adventure games died for me when Yahtzee basically said that you're playing a game where you're walking around, rubbing everything in your inventory on everything in the game until you happen to stumble upon the developer's train of thought (I think it was in his "Zak and Wiki" review).

Adventure games died for me because I realized he was right.

The Wii has limitations... Wiiware adds even more limitations. Sounds more like the developer assumed too much and built a PC game hoping it could be ported easily to the Wii. Raises an interesting question though... could the iPhone play the Monkey Island game without any issues? I'm thinking not, but it'd be neat to be proven wrong.

Wii fails, Wii sux, etc.

AncientYoungSon:
So they're trying to fit a 150 MB game into a 40 MB space and they're surprised when it doesn't work out well? Lovely.

That's what I don't seem to understand. I'd also like to see some kind of info on this, is he trying to say that games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are possible on the iPhone? I remember the RE4 iPhone game being quite impressive visually, but it was no home console version.

I also question it because didn't Microsoft say something like they were working to figure out how to make a portable console with the power of an xbox? Telltale are basically saying that the iPhone is more powerful than an xbox in a sense. I'm just not sure.

Sometimes it isn't such a good idea to allow comments on articles. This won't end well.

Funny the Wii isn't powerful enough, the PS3 is to powerful and the 360 is prone to overheating. This gen has alot of issues. What happened to the last gen when everything was pretty even?

A bad workman always blames his tools.

squid5580:
Sometimes it isn't such a good idea to allow comments on articles. This won't end well.

Funny the Wii isn't powerful enough, the PS3 is to powerful and the 360 is prone to overheating. This gen has alot of issues. What happened to the last gen when everything was pretty even?

It was probably because everything was pretty even that others wanted to differentiate themselves to the point where they could have titles that their competitors couldn't, and cut down multiplat titles (at least, that's my take on it). However the opposite of that has happened, with dev costs making games on a single console risky and making multiplat titles become more commonplace.

More Fun To Compute:

And I dislike you because I didn't think of that!

ChromeAlchemist:

AncientYoungSon:

That's what I don't seem to understand. I'd also like to see some kind of info on this, is he trying to say that games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are possible on the iPhone? I remember the RE4 iPhone game being quite impressive visually, but it was no home console version.

It's not the Wii itself, but the WiiWare. Presumably, the Wii can play the game fine, but there isn't enough space for WiiWare titles, so they had to compress the shit out of (into?) the game.

More Fun To Compute:

Well, when your hammer has three ninety-degree angles in the handle, you are going to have a problem.

randommaster:

More Fun To Compute:

Well, when your hammer has three ninety-degree angles in the handle, you are going to have a problem.

A competent workman can make his own handle.

More Fun To Compute:

randommaster:

More Fun To Compute:

Someone's on fire today.

ROFL. Weaker than the iPhone. How very, very sad.

Apart from the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone isn't even that powerful as far as smartphones go, if you disregard the graphics co-processor. There's no way that the iPhone can compete with any sort of discrete graphics processor in a console, and therefore, the iPhone cannot be even as powerful as the Wii. Anybody with a bit of technological knowledge would be able to figure that out.

The Wii may be limited, but honestly, there have been developers in the past who have been able to do amazing things with a megabyte, let alone forty. As well as that, the iPhone that they compare it to only has to render in 480x320 - in graphics terms, about half of the pixels of a 640x480 standard television display in the NTSC region.

ChromeAlchemist:

Someone's on fire today.

A good workman would steal the fire then give it to the people like a modern day Prometheus. Oh wait, time to stop I think.

More Fun To Compute:

randommaster:

More Fun To Compute:

Not when there's no materials. Telltale can't make their own version of WiiWare, so they have to deal with what they have.

More Fun To Compute:

ChromeAlchemist:

Someone's on fire today.

A good workman would steal the fire then give it to the people like a modern day Prometheus. Oh wait, time to stop I think.

Were you in the woodshop all day giving lectures to the young'uns about how you had to use pocket lint to hit nails and the only way to paint something was to scowl at the paint hard enough that it would apply itself?

together wii cry. sorry.

This is funny because I could've sworn Jamie Gotch (Fieldrunners) said that AT&T's network only allowed 10MB to be transfered, meaning you can't have an iPhone app bigger than 10MB right now. So this guy from Telltale is talking out his ass unless AT&T has improved their network in regards to the iPhone. For the record. Gotch said this in March at Boston Postmortem, so maybe things have changed in the last 5 months.

Also Telltale had no problem with Sam&Max and SBCG4AP on WiiWare, so why's it a problem now?

I would say as usual its the developers being lazy enough not to examine the consoles they're releasing the game for more thoroughly.
It has already happened with the "graphics don't look as good on the ps3 as in the 360 because of less ram" with ghostbusters. Does that mean the 360 is more powerful than the ps3? No, it just means they are different in hardware and thus need to be deal with appropriately.

Developers are being increasingly lazy and fail to make the games work for each console.
Lazy fuckers..

AceDiamond:
This is funny because I could've sworn Jamie Gotch (Fieldrunners) said that AT&T's network only allowed 10MB to be transfered, meaning you can't have an iPhone app bigger than 10MB right now. So this guy from Telltale is talking out his ass unless AT&T has improved their network in regards to the iPhone. For the record. Gotch said this in March at Boston Postmortem, so maybe things have changed in the last 5 months.

Also Telltale had no problem with Sam&Max and SBCG4AP on WiiWare, so why's it a problem now?

you can have an app biggere than 10 mb, just cant downloadd it over edge, but i think myst was over 150 mb on the iphone you just had to download it on wifi

also people get this right. the iphone isnt more powerful than the wii, its just their download service allows larger files than wiiware, which i admit is fail, but =/= to less powerful

AceDiamond:
This is funny because I could've sworn Jamie Gotch (Fieldrunners) said that AT&T's network only allowed 10MB to be transfered, meaning you can't have an iPhone app bigger than 10MB right now. So this guy from Telltale is talking out his ass unless AT&T has improved their network in regards to the iPhone. For the record. Gotch said this in March at Boston Postmortem.

He said the iPhone is more powerful, not that it has bigger apps - but frankly, I think he's probably wrong regardless.

Point 2: I'm guessing Monkey island uses more audio and/or graphics that the Sam and Max series, but thats just a guess.

VZLANemesis:
I would say as usual its the developers being lazy enough not to examine the consoles they're releasing the game for more thoroughly.
It has already happened with the "graphics don't look as good on the ps3 as in the 360 because of less ram" with ghostbusters. Does that mean the 360 is more powerful than the ps3? No, it just means they are different in hardware and thus need to be deal with appropriately.

Developers are being increasingly lazy and fail to make the games work for each console.
Lazy fuckers..

Ahhh, so every company, regardless of size and finance, should employ 4 different dev teams to work out how best to implement on the 3 consoles, and PC, assuming all the handhelds don't count. I'm pretty sure Telltale don't have that kind of money yet, though I could be wrong.

Doug:

He said the iPhone is more powerful, not that it has bigger apps - but frankly, I think he's probably wrong regardless.

Point 2: I'm guessing Monkey island uses more audio and/or graphics that the Sam and Max series, but thats just a guess.

while I admit I was a bit erroneous in my size statement the point I was trying to make is that all that power doesn't mean anything if you can't utilize it properly. Which I guess they could but I still doubt that the iPhone/iPod Touch is more powerful. And yes in all likelyhood there are more assets at hand for the Monkey Island games, but Telltale knew what they had to work with. I'm not saying Nintendo is blameless either but since I don't know why there's a 40MB cap (probably space and network concerns), I can't really weigh in on that side.

Doug:

Ahhh, so every company, regardless of size and finance, should employ 4 different dev teams to work out how best to implement on the 3 consoles, and PC, assuming all the handhelds don't count. I'm pretty sure Telltale don't have that kind of money yet, though I could be wrong.

If Telltale hadn't been making games for WiiWare for 2+ years now we'd be able to cut them more slack. But again by now I'd expect them to have a good idea of the limitations

More Fun To Compute:

ChromeAlchemist:

Someone's on fire today.

Yeah, I think that one needs review. Good roll though.

There is a flaw in the heading for the newsroom article and the article itself explains a lot more that should not be mentioning all the wii bashing or praise of the iphone. In the end it comes down to regulation standards for DLC for the consoles.

Keane Ng:

One Telltale developer by the name of Yare is saying that disgruntled gamers shouldn't be looking at Telltale to lay the blame on, however. "The voices and textures are the way they are because we're limited to 40 megs for WiiWare titles," Yare wrote. "The PC versions of our games are usually 150+ megs, and most modern games range anywhere from 1-10 gigabytes or more. Talk to Nintendo about this one."

Right now the Iphone app store(which is nothing more than itunes) has zero regulation when it comes to the amount of memory used by the application. The only known regulation is on content that could be controversial but even then it is down to the person approving the product. Compare this to the Wii and wiiware which much like XBLA share a maximum download limit.

So in the end it just comes down to memory and how much Telltale was allowed to use with wiiware. If a person doesn't have an SD card for their wii they are stuck using the flash memory of the console which is limited and although I cannot remember the wii's console flash memory I think 150 megabytes is about a third or maybe half of the memory.

So if there is something to complain about it is the regulation not the limitations of the console.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this on the PC first?

Surely it must've been quite a doozy of a game. They should've tried it on the PC first to see if it would fit on the Wii. Bad planning.

The Great JT:
Oh Wii...you're a pathetic little white cuboid for casual gamers. Why do you try to sport serious-style games?

serious-style games? IT'S MONKEY ISLAND.

Guys, the hardware statistics are available on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications

With apple releasing a 1.1ghz iphone, it kind of embarrasses the Wii.

Pipotchi:

mikecoulter:

This, this isnt Nintendos fault. I dont own a Wii but what is does it does well. it isnt Designed for these kind of games in mind (speech heavy) so if a developer wants to do one then make it work or bugger off. Telltale games decided to roll the dice on this version in order to make more cash via the Wii's massive casual market

I agree with the both of you. They knew the limitations before they started porting it. Instead of doing a blind port they might better have worked in an adaption to the new platform, for instance by leaving out most of the dialogue altogether. That would definitely cleared up some space to fix the graphical glitches.

cobra_ky:

The Great JT:

serious-style games? IT'S MONKEY ISLAND.

i was thinking this too! Its not exactly gears of war is it.

Yes, but which one is more embarrassing to own: A Wii (apparently for "fags" and little kids or whatever the fuck) or an iPhone (can it still be a phone if it does a million things other than make calls, or is it just a tiny shitty computer at this point?)

The answer should be obvious.
Which is to say, I don't know.

coxafloppin:

i was thinking this too! Its not exactly gears of war is it.

Gears of War is about as casual as it gets, honestly.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here