Lara Croft May Get Her Own Street

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Lara Croft May Get Her Own Street

In deepest darkest Derbyshire, town planners are considering naming a new road after everyone's favourite lady archaeologist.

There's a new road going up in the Derbyshire town of Derby that needs a name and one of the names on the table is that of Lara Croft.

Other names being passed around are Florence Nightingale Way, after the famous nurse who helped design the town's hospital, and Rolls-Royce Way, a major employer in the town.

"But why Lara Croft?" I hear you ask, well it's quite simple; the original developers of Tomb Raider, Core Design, are based in the town.

John Forkin, director of Marketing Derby favors the pneumatic heroine: "We have waited a long time for this road and we need to give it a name and the right name. Personally I would be in favor of something that projects something new and modern about the city so I quite like the Lara Croft idea."

Residents have until the 28th August to submit their ideas for names, so we'll have to come back in September to see what they decide.

Source: Kotaku

Sigh, Tomb Raider was never even that good, why not name the street after someone who actually deserves it rather than a fictitious character who's main role involves stealing price-less artifacts for no real reason other than shit and giggles.

Really? Really? Why? Why her? Cause her developers are there?

If this happens, will this be the first time a street is named after a game??

Lara Croft May Get Own Street *pauze* In Detroit!

Wait, Tomb Raider was done by a British company? Bloody hell, I didn't know that. Big up the UK! Woowoowoo!

(P.S. Sorry for the frat boy bit there. I was at a 21st birthday last night.)

Anyway, I can think of plenty more deserving candidates, real and fictional, for their names to be immortalised as a street. Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and the fictional Richard Hammond, mainly.

Aac18:
Sigh, Tomb Raider was never even that good, why not name the street after someone who actually deserves it rather than a fictitious character who's main role involves stealing price-less artifacts for no real reason other than shit and giggles.

But she has big... assets and those sell.

If it does happen, "Hey where do you live?" "In Lara Croft."

Flap Jack452:

They may sell games to over-zealous 13 year old's but how many of those are buying houses? :)

Aac18:

Flap Jack452:

They may sell games to over-zealous 13 year old's but how many of those are buying houses? :)

You're forgetting the plenty of over-zealous adults out there. How else do you explain strip clubs?

And since someone had to say it, it looks like she's getting a street for her large tracts of land.

Aac18:

Do you doubt the power of teh BEWBS?
Blasphemy!

But seriously, I fucking hate her >.<

A random person:

You're forgetting the plenty of over-zealous adults out there. How else do you explain strip clubs?

Sigh, I guess your right, I really need to learn not to give humanity as much credit as I do.

Trivun:
Wait, Tomb Raider was done by a British company? Bloody hell, I didn't know that. Big up the UK! Woowoowoo!

That's probably the reason she's British.

I think they should go for all 3 street names, as well as Mary Seacole Lane. Everyone forgets her and she was far more important in the revolution of nursing than Florence Gloryhogging Nightingale.

Now I think about it, I think everyone who knows that it's a game character will have a slight smile on thier face when they write out "Lara Croft Lane" on an envelope to send someone a letter.

I guess it they want to name it after her then im all for it, however i think a non-fictional character would take preference in my books

Cpt_Oblivious:

Trivun:

That's probably the reason she's British.

I think they should go for all 3 street names, as well as Mary Seacole Lane. Everyone forgets her and she was far more important in the revolution of nursing than Florence Gloryhogging Nightingale.

Well, fair enough. I never played the games though and didn't see the films, so although I knew she was British I never gave much thought to it. Never mind though, I guess.

If they're naming streets after game characters then I want Aran Avenue.

"Hey Bill what street do you live on?"
"Boobie Avenue"

Aac18:

i assume you mean garrett?

seydaman:
i assume you mean garrett?

They're pretty much one and the same, except one has a decent series to back it (hint: its not Lara).

The house prices on that street have potential to skyrocket. Rich nerds do buy alot of stupid crap, wouldn't put it past someone moving their home/family to live on such a street.

'Where do you live?'
'On Lara Croft'
'...What?'

Street should be in the red light district.

This simply does not compute. How many people do you know who actually give a toss about Ms Croft being a British creation?

Make it "Stephen Fry Street" or I'll keep complaining. In a really high-pitched voice.

Bad idea. Nobody could cross it. Because nobody crosses Lara Croft and lives!

All I'm saying is you gotta have nothing on the street, becuase if you do, there will be tunnels leading to everything from the street and people will be stealing for no reason. They should go with Nightingale, it sounds cool, and the lady helped with the medical stuff. I'm also liking Rolls Royce.

EDIT:
What would they specifically call it
Lara Croft Lane, Lara Croft Way, Lara Croft Road?
^Consonance sucks, ^Best bet, ^ That sounds original(/sarcasm)

Aac18:

...Making her a metaphor for the British Empire, and then you wonder why they want to name a street after her?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Croft street would be good. Lara Croft street would suck beyond all recognition. I hope they keep it to a sensible homage.

Am I the only one confused with "the Derbyshire town of Derby"?

I mean I know it's atrociously signposted but...

No, it should be Largo LeGrande Lane.

this should excite a lot of people. it shows a growing acceptance of gamers among the general public

BUT

i doubt that any serious gamers would want it to be named after what seems to be regarded as one of the worst gaming franchises around. maybe it should be called portal street? that's a game everyone seems to like.

i don't know, my ideas are starting to get all mixed up. make what you will of what i have just said, i have no idea how much sense it makes. now if you'll excuse me, i need some sleep.

Surely there are better people to name it after than Lara Croft? They mentioned two. Nightingale helped found a freaking hospital which has probably helped thousands to live. Rolls Royce helped employ the town. The inventors of Lara Croft have help thousands of nerds get boners. Should there even be any competition?

woem:
Lara Croft May Get Own Street *pause* In Detroit!

Um... Eight Mile Road meets Eight Mile Chest?

Why can't I think of anything wittier to say.

It would only make sense if the road was poorly designed and whole parts would fall into a pit the moment weight was put on it.

Curtmiester:
Really? Really? Why? Why her? Cause her developers are there?

nah, its much, much bigger than that and if I resist a boob joke anylonger I might have an anurism. or something to that effect.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here