Chinese Teen Beaten to Death at Internet Addiction Camp

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Chinese Teen Beaten to Death at Internet Addiction Camp

A sixteen-year-old Chinese boy was beaten to death during treatment at a camp supposedly designed to help cure youth of their addiction to the Internet.

When the parents of sixteen-year-old Deng Senshan paid 7,000 yuan ($1,024) to send him to Guangxi Qihang Survival Training Camp on Saturday in the hopes that it would help cure their son of his addiction to the Internet, they probably never imagined that he could be dead less than two days later.

As the Global Times reports, Deng was reportedly beaten severely by three teachers at the camp after being scolded for "running too slowly." He was declared dead Monday morning after arriving at a nearby hospital. The incident has sparked considerable outrage, particularly given that the camp's mission statement promises that the treatment "does not include torture or other methods that might damage a child's health."

In recent years, China has struggled with what is perceived as a rampant addiction to the Internet among the nation's youth. In 2007, a sociologist at Huazhong Normal University claimed that online gaming and Internet addiction were destroying the country's youth, and called for heavy restrictions. Back in March, the Chinese government claimed that its anti-addiction programs that restricted the amount of time minors could spend online were working, and just last month the Ministry of Health said that it was shutting down a controversial electroshock treatment program.

According to TIME, there are hundreds of camps in China like the one where Deng Senshen was brutally beaten, but he is the first reported casualty in the nation from an Internet addiction facility.

(Via The WSJ, via Gizmodo)

Well not sure thats what they meant by we will "beat you into shape"...

Harsh, though not surprising that it happend in China. Im curious to see exactly what sort of regimentation they put the kids there through, sounds more like basic training for chinese troops. Wouldnt surprise me if they were just training soldiers.

That's some crazy stuff. Hope those teachers get thrown in jail or something for that.

"School administrators were baffled when this attracted national attention. 'We don't understand - our methods are flawless: he'll not be using the Internet anymore.'"

GodsClown:
That's some crazy stuff. Hope those teachers get thrown in jail or something for that.

I hope these teachers get shot.

Seriously? KILLING? Honestly, this is wrong. So wrong. Just like everything else in the world.

"...the camp's mission statement promises that the treatment "does not include torture or other methods that might damage a child's health."

Would any camp actually put that on a pamphlet that they did?...

Does this reminf anyone of those little things called "Concentration Camps" held by a certain "Fuhrur" all those decades ago?

GodsClown:

Kidding me? I hope they get their asses sued for everything they own, then thrown into Prison.

geldonyetich:
"School administrators were baffled when this attracted national attention. 'We don't understand - our methods are flawless: he'll not be using the Internet anymore.'"

Nope...he sure won't...

Oh China. What the hell will you do next?

man china just jeeps one uping itself!

and seriously WTF?! beating a kid for running to slowly. how is running supposed to help you get un-addicted to the internet anyway?

THANKS CHINA!

Thanks for once again showing us how good we have it!

...China used to be cool...*sigh*...

To the three teachers: SHA GUA!
Man, seriously, WTF is right.

Sheepzor:
"...the camp's mission statement promises that the treatment "does not include torture or other methods that might damage a child's health."

Yea, i found that pretty funny as well.

AkJay:
Does this reminf anyone of those little things called "Concentration Camps" held by a certain "Fuhrur" all those decades ago?

"Fuehrer," (you drop the first e if you use umlauts over the 'u') and no. Those camps were genocidal by design, and completely involuntary. Jewish parents didn't send their kids off to Auschwitz to cure them of their Jewishness. These are more like the fat camps where they abuse kids into losing weight.

This is really horrifying though. The electroshock was really bad, because that treatment has been proven to cause serious brain damage. But to have three adults beat a teenager to death? That's beyond irreproachable. How could they ever do that? I mean, I think internet addiction is a real thing, but all addiction is simply an attempt to correct some deficiency in normal life. You can talk people out, or even medicate them, to beat addiction.

AkJay:

Yes, but they control the US economy, so they are America's friends. Or frenemies if you prefer.

thats horrible. theres nothing else to say really.

are people really addicted to the internet or do they just like spending time on it? i guess there could be a psychological addiction. personally i have yet to have found anything on the internet i could become addicted to.

HardRockSamurai:

China still cool!
Hehe Simpsons :D

On topic though: What the fuck? Just... What the fuck?

Really sad that it has degraded to this. I feel sorry for that kid.

I would make a "whip you into shape" joke but I feel its not appropriate.

Since when did China become the Galactic Empire?

This is so wrong . . . when I saw the title of the article I thought some psychopathic campers would have done this, but the TEACHERS did it? THREE of them? Because he was running too slowly? Well killing him isn't going to make him run much faster. Although . . . maybe it will convince the other addicts to run faster.

Bloody hell... What the fuck were they thinking? Psychos.

EDIT:

I wonder if they got a refund...

*epic facepalm*

So the parents basically paid 1000$ to get their kid killed? :s

What happened to having willpower?
I beat plenty of addictions just by controlling myself and being with friends that knew what it was like.

A tragic loss in the end.. sorry to hear it, his parents must be devastated.

Wait, what? Here I thought it would be other kids killing him while screaming "I want my laptop!!!", but that the teachers would kill him!? The teachers! They deserve life-time in prison, cause they're clearly sociopaths! Aren't they supposed to gradually make them better, not just expect them to beat a record on the first go? Also, aren't they supposed to make them better, period!? I'd close that camp, and send those teachers to prison for so long that they're corpses will still be there when their grandkids come to visit. It feels like the sanity of today's societies are slowly falling together, like a flan in a cupboard.

Then the kid will rise from the dead as the Internet addict equivalent to Jason Voorhees... Beat them with your keyboard and your WoW shaman rod!

Jesus Camp +1.

Seriously though, that's terrible.

HardRockSamurai:

We still cool! You pay later!

Yeah, I ain't surprised. Violence as a motivational method is something I'd expect to see in obsolete armed forces. But hey, that's how they do things at these kinds of camps. I wouldn't be surprised if they can continue with it, either. Now, the electric shock therapy thing leaves me more confounded. That's just being lazy and taking the easy way out.

Oh yeah, and the parents. They have money, so they can get someone else to do something about it for them? Yeah, if you want something done, do it yourself. This is not parenting.

^Mimi:
*epic facepalm*

Yeah; I'd have done it for $200.

Commander Breetai:

^Mimi:
*epic facepalm*

Yeah; I'd have done it for $200.

This is pretty unnecessary. x\

I don't know if you were trying to go for a light joke but this is neither the place nor the time, sorry.

Cpt_Oblivious:

HardRockSamurai:

China still cool!

"In this square, in 1984........nothing happened."
hehehe, more Simpsons :D

As for this, I find this disgusting for lack of a better word. Internet Addiction is just like any addiction, and I don't mind that there are camps and stuff for "curing" that addiction. Hell, there are probably health camps for people addicted to bananas.

Those "teachers" should be sued for every Yuan they have and thrown in prison, this is just disgusting.

That's pretty sick. All those camps should be shut down, the teachers who did this should be arrested, and the parents should sue.

geldonyetich:

ahahahahaha.

Unreliable:

AkJay:

Yes, but they control the US economy, so they are America's friends. Or frenemies if you prefer.

Thank you, token 11 year old girl.
no, i'm kidding, but that's what i think when i hear the word "frenemies" haha

Jumplion:

Cpt_Oblivious:

HardRockSamurai:

China still cool!

"In this square, in 1984........nothing happened."
hehehe, more Simpsons :D

As for this, I find this disgusting for lack of a better word. Internet Addiction is just like any addiction, and I don't mind that there are camps and stuff for "curing" that addiction. Hell, there are probably health camps for people addicted to bananas.

Those "teachers" should be sued for every Yuan they have and thrown in prison, this is just disgusting.

Popular treatment at banana addiction camps - force them to play mario kart with the tracks loaded with bananas.

Then put throw bananas in the path of people on freshly waxed floors.

My guess is that's the last we'll hear of the poor boy's parents, ever.

If this were the US they'd sue the pants of the teachers, the camp owners and everyone else connected. In China I can't help feeling two distraut parents won't be allowed to get in the way of a lucrative business, it's knid of how they do things.

Games kill, allegedly.

Not playing games kill, actually.

Guess FOX News will be blaming this on games as well then?

Sheepzor:

Seriously - the fact that they had to say that just brings up some interesting questions.

Well, it's not like he's using the inter--

geldonyetich:

Awh, you suck.
Beat me to it.

Y'know, maybe if China weren't apparently such a horrible place to live, people might not be addicted to the internet.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here