PopCap's Evony Spoof Ads for Plants vs. Zombies Keep Coming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PopCap's Evony Spoof Ads for Plants vs. Zombies Keep Coming

PopCap is far from done with their Plants vs. Zombies ads spoofing the ubiquitous and bosom-filled ads for Evony, and we've got your first peek at the new batch right here.

A good joke is worth telling more than once, but a good spoof of a super annoying ad you see literally everywhere on the internet these days? Well that's worth telling as many times as you damn well please, at least if you're doing it as well as the masters of satirical ad design at PopCap.

Last week the casual games company earned quite a few guffaws across the web with their Plants vs. Zombies ad spoofing those shameless and boob-filled ads for free MMOG Evony, and now they're keeping the joke running with a whole series of ads. They're due to start running later today, but you can check them out here.

So what's the story behind these ads? Well, as PopCap's Garth Chouteau tells it, two PopCap employees walked into a bar, had a couple beers, and, naturally, as any beer-fueled discussion should go, the topic became the "glut of ridiculously over-the-top ads showing up on the web touting persistent worlds by showing a lot of virtual cleavage and skin...a beer or two later, they'd designed the first of these ads, and it just snowballed from there."

"We needed some quirky ads to help keep Plants vs. Zombies top of mind, and following the PvZ 'music video' and zombatar and the zombies' and plants' takeover of PopCap.com when the game launched, we wanted to do something equally zany - and as gamers ourselves, these spoof ads had us rolling on the floor, so we figured other gamers would appreciate them too," Chouteau explained.

On behalf of anyone who has ever had to literally use a hand to cover a part of their monitor to avoid seeing one of those ads or appearing like someone who would want to see one of those ads, I can say that we do appreciate them too.

Hooray for PopCap! They is down wit da kids, yo.

Those are excellent, gotta love Popcap.

I love those guys.

Im so happy to see someone slag off those stupid ads.

I love Popcap so much right now.

Ah, this is all kinds of wonderful. PopCap, you zany guys you, when will you ever stop being so awesome?

Never, that's when.

popcap is win

i love those guys

I feel proud for buying Plants vs Zombies.

That is so awesome. Those rule.

Keane Ng:
On behalf of anyone who has ever had to literally use a hand to cover a part of their monitor to avoid seeing one of those ads or appearing like someone who would want to see one of those ads, I can say that we do appreciate them too.

Firefox, Adblock Plus.

I just hope they don't get sued- this is fantastic. :D

Strategia:

Keane Ng:

Firefox, Adblock Plus.

You know, I would use Adblock, but then I just hate having giant blank boxes all over the place online, it just messes up how everything looks. As weird as it sounds, seeing ads is like a part of the entire visual identity of the web to me.

Popcap I love you guys even more now for these ads.

Sigh. This makes me so...happy.
And it makes me feel even better about getting Plants vs. Zombies, too!
Funding creative minds...so refreshing.

Popcap: we love you. Don't ever change. Actually, do change if it means we get to see more of this kind of satire. Actually...ah screw it. Just do whatever the hell you want. You're PopCap!

Keane Ng:
You know, I would use Adblock, but then I just hate having giant blank boxes all over the place online, it just messes up how everything looks. As weird as it sounds, seeing ads is like a part of the entire visual identity of the web to me.

To each his own I guess. I was overjoyed when I found and installed ABP and Flashblock, saved me from those endlessly looping .gifs and those bright "LOOK AT ME!" flashes of the AdventureQuest ads. (And I guess it also depends on your location, I used to get a LOT of ads from some abhorrently-designed Dutch cellphone website that I couldn't wait to get rid of.) But I do understand where you're coming from, the place does look very different without ads.

These have to be the greatest ads I've ever seen. If only they appeared in as many places as the Evony ads, the internet would be a great place again.

The "Rule the Garden!" one is so spot-on I can't stop laughing. Great job by these guys. I can imagine the PopCap HQ. It must be filled with giant cardboard cutouts of plants and zombies. God, what an excellent game.

I love PopCap and their zany ideas.

haha, sweet stuff XD

As someone who browses from work, and is sick of having to play monitor-fu to not get asked some serious questions about how he uses his internet, I can safely say that these adds hold a special portion of my heart and my wallet.

I'd laugh if PopCap was sued over this (unlikely, but anything is possible...).

I like spoofs in general, but this one is pretty clever and still stays within the spirit of Plants vs Zombies.

I have seen those Evony ads before and it just screams "desperate, shameful advertising".

Thank you PopCap. Thank you.

Strategia:

Keane Ng:

Firefox, Adblock Plus.

I'm a user of ABP - but like any reasonable AdBlocker, I disable it on sites I enjoy and like to support, such as Escapist Magazine and Penny-Arcade. I believe Penny Arcade have hosted the Evony adverts, even if only briefly. I may be confusing them with another site, but I'm pretty sure they were on PA, and I know I sure as hell wanted to re-enable my ABP filter.

Strategia:

Keane Ng:

Firefox, Adblock Plus.

AdBlock Plus v1.1 is actually worse than v1.0.2...instead of blocking everything from the get-go, you have to add "filters." So I've seen those ads, if only briefly.

Damn, I hate my desktop... x_X

Heart of Darkness:
AdBlock Plus v1.1 is actually worse than v1.0.2...instead of blocking everything from the get-go, you have to add "filters."

I prefer it that way actually, you can keep images you want but block the annoying ones. It's just a right-click on the image and select the level of blockiness (which is generally the strictest level with me).

Ever since the jokes from Popcap appeared, I don't see Evony ads any more.

Good thing of Popcap to take the piss out of those feckin stupid evony ads.

Popcap win Epically!

Strategia:

Heart of Darkness:
AdBlock Plus v1.1 is actually worse than v1.0.2...instead of blocking everything from the get-go, you have to add "filters."

I prefer it that way actually, you can keep images you want but block the annoying ones. It's just a right-click on the image and select the level of blockiness (which is generally the strictest level with me).

I find, though, that not everything can be blocked manually, at least on my computer. Even the "block" square won't pop up on everything.

Three cheers for Popcap! For making these great parodies of our hated advertisements!

Keane Ng:

Strategia:

Keane Ng:
*snip*.

Firefox, Adblock Plus.

My visual identity of the web mainly consists of lines of text in articles that make my eyes go out of focus, and flash games with lots, and lots of explosions. Or flashing colors. Ooh...pretty...

Who says creativity is dead?
EDIT: You know, I just started thinking about it, but the words in the box for the Popcap version are actually level. You have got to love the logo placement on the Popcap ads...

To all those who say that casual gaming is the bane of the world, I point you to Popcap; the anti-ad Paladin!

BWAHAhA finally those stupid ads gets what's coming to them. I should buy the game to show my support!

Keep it up Pop-Cap! i love you more each day to see someone with a sense of humor kicking in this Evony adds.

It's a really awesome game and they should keep the ads coming so more people will play it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here