Next Dashboard Update Could Slim Down Game Installs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Next Dashboard Update Could Slim Down Game Installs

The next Dashboard update for the 360 will bring one improvement you might not even notice without looking: it appears that the update drastically cuts down on the size of game installs.

The 360 might not exactly be the Wii when it comes to limited space for storing all your precious save data, downloadable games and game installs, but if you've got enough junk on your hard drive, well, it can fill up just as fast. Good news for those types who just cannot bear to delete anything off their drives, then. According to some folks who have taken the 360's upcoming Dashboard update for a spin, it dramatically cuts down on some game's install sizes.

That means King of Fighters XII sheds a ton of weight going from a 3.4 GB install to about 700 MB, while Raiden Fighters Aces goes from 3.4 GB to 484 MB in another example of dramatic memory slimming. Left 4 Dead trims off 1.3 GB to go from 5 gigs to a comparatively light 3.7. The magical weight loss doesn't work for everything, though: apparently games over 6.5 gigs don't lose more than a couple hundred megs, while some games just don't show any change at all.

So what's the secret? Eurogamer theorizes that it might be that the Dashboard is a lot smarter about only transferring over the data it needs when you install a game onto the hard drive - no more useless copy-protection or duplicated data that takes up space.

Whatever is going on, this is undoubtedly good news: smaller install sizes could mean faster loading times, and obviously more space for all the random demos, videos, etc you download, not to mention the titles which will be available on the 360's Games on Demand service which will launch in the near future.

Oh thank whatever anthropromorpic entity you believe in. Now I can install more games now! But will I have to uninstall the ones I have on there first?

Okay so I do not have a 360 yet so do not know. But why the hell do you even have to install games for anyway? Sounds kind of PCish... But anyway once you have installed it I take it you still need the CD in the drive to play right? So it is just a frikkin waste of time.

Awesome! I can't wait to finall download all the games I want. But yeah, do I have uninstall the games I already have? Seems like a big trade off to me

avykins:
Okay so I do not have a 360 yet so do not know. But why the hell do you even have to install games for anyway? Sounds kind of PCish... But anyway once you have installed it I take it you still need the CD in the drive to play right? So it is just a frikkin waste of time.

You don't have to install the game, but if you do with some games it can reduce load times. But installing is not actually required.

avykins:

The theory is the install can cut load times, reduce crash and freezing, slow down the disc speed and lower heat production. And it works, I couldn't get 5 minutes into GTA or Fable 2 without it locking up, but after the install I haven't frozen up since.

Kuchinawa212:
Awesome! I can't wait to finall download all the games I want. But yeah, do I have uninstall the games I already have? Seems like a big trade off to me

Delete it from your hard drive

Darkrai:

Kuchinawa212:

Yeah but I wanna keep my stats for the Watchmen game... i think i was the only one that liked it...

avykins:

Yeah, screw shorter load times!

I mean, it's not like the 360 has a history of trashing discs when it tries to read them. Who'd want to reduce that?

I wonder how much it will reduce COD4?

So installing games might actually be useful now!? I only have Prototype installed and thats because it fixes the problem where after the Thermobaric Tank mission the game gets stuck in a load screen.
This also affects other downloads too?

TheTygerfire:

avykins:

The theory is the install can cut load times, reduce crash and freezing, slow down the disc speed and lower heat production. And it works, I couldn't get 5 minutes into GTA or Fable 2 without it locking up, but after the install I haven't frozen up since.

Agreed. I had the same experience with Oblivion, and installing it helped a lot. I'm glad the update will help me with the hard drive space.

Kuchinawa212:

Darkrai:

Kuchinawa212:

Yeah but I wanna keep my stats for the Watchmen game... i think i was the only one that liked it...

Delete the game, not the items

If I had a bigger hard drive I would be glad.

I still have the 12 gig hard drive :P
I'd get a bigger one but I'll be damned if I buy a 60 gig hard drive for $100

Plus I don't want to redownload all the stuff I have, because my internet sucks and it would literally take months to redownload. And I wouldn't have any of my save-games, which is lame.

avykins:

It allows you to load games much more quickly. For instance a single player campaign in Halo 3 can require up to 7 minutes in load times, and this is for a single level. However once one installs the game, the load time is reduced to seconds. It also crosses over to multiplayer. All in all load times become drastically reduced.

Kiutu:
So installing games might actually be useful now!? I only have Prototype installed and thats because it fixes the problem where after the Thermobaric Tank mission the game gets stuck in a load screen.

It already was useful. As TheTygerfire said, it dramatically cuts noise levels and heat production.

Nifty:

Kiutu:

It already was useful. As TheTygerfire said, it dramatically cuts noise levels and heat production.

Maybe if you have memory to waste, but between my hard drive and memory card I dont even have a gig to spare anymore. I cant be putting all these games on my HD without deleting tons of my saves that I still use.

Has this update come out yet? If it has, I guess I just can't find it.

Now if only the Ps3 can get this update via updated firmware. Their install times leave much to be desired.

It takes .6gb off of Forza 2.

avykins:

Speeds them up.

Irridium:
Plus I don't want to redownload all the stuff I have, because my internet sucks and it would literally take months to redownload. And I wouldn't have any of my save-games, which is lame.

When I bought the 120gb drive upgrade a while back, it included a disc and cable set that copied everything from my old drive to my new one. No need to re-download anything.

Doesn't help with the drives being expensive, but the transfer worked very smoothly.

newguy77:
Has this update come out yet? If it has, I guess I just can't find it.

It's only available as a preview program for now, but it's supposed to go live for everyone on August 11th.

Virgil:

Irridium:

When I bought the 120gb drive upgrade a while back, it included a disc and cable set that copied everything from my old drive to my new one. No need to re-download anything.

Doesn't help with the drives being expensive, but the transfer worked very smoothly.

huh, dind't know that.
So is the disk and cable come in the same case as the hard drive?
And do you know if you get a disk and cable with the 60 gig one?

damn, im gonna have to uninstall all my games and reinstall (well, just the ones that I have the discs for anyway)

on the bright side, this is awesome news. i love it when M$ does something right for once

Kuchinawa212:

Darkrai:

Kuchinawa212:

If you got it off of Live than this isn't what we're talking about.

That's great! I'm glad to see Microsoft putting in effort just to put in effort. I've never heard of anyone actually wanting this sort of update, but they did it anyway. Nice.

So it's more like an actual install now, as opposed to simply copying the disk to the hard drive, well that's good.

Eagle Est1986:
So it's more like an actual install now, as opposed to simply copying the disk to the hard drive, well that's good.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I just don't consider load times a big enough deal to install games...

Maybe If I had more colossal games that caused these types of things (Grand theft auto 4?)

avykins:

Not at all, i have a copy of SoulCailbur that dosn't read properly anymore. So instead of buying a new disc i mearly rent a differnt copy and install it. Bam! Works fine now.

avykins:

The PS3 has to do on some games. It helps reduce loading times in games.

Need this for the PS3 and/or format HDD to get rid of Linux and/or replace HDD.

hansari:

Eagle Est1986:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I just don't consider load times a big enough deal to install games...

Maybe If I had more colossal games that caused these types of things (Grand theft auto 4?)

To be honest, I can't say I've noticed all that much of a difference with the games I've installed but if it's reducing the amount of strain on my Xbox, I'm happy to do it, no way I'm buying a 3rd Xbox and I need to make sure it lasts until Mass Effect 3. I've got more space than I know what to do with anyways

Irridium:
huh, dind't know that.
So is the disk and cable come in the same case as the hard drive?
And do you know if you get a disk and cable with the 60 gig one?

I took a quick look on Amazon and the 60gb drive I saw there didn't come with the transfer cable. The 120gb still does. I don't know if there's a way to get the transfer cable otherwise, or if it even works with the 60gb drives.

I REALLY wish I could send my in my WD 320GB laptop hard drive and have MS put it in a 360 hard drive cover and install the 360 stuff on it so when I got it back I could install the large majority of the games I play most often and maybe even set aside a weekend to download a HD movie (I've got 1MB DSL so downloading takes forever)

This is very good news. Makes me wonder why they didn't have this in the first place but we can still be glad that it's here now, yes?

i don't even care about all the other stuff now...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here