Pure Pwnage Graduates To Broadcast TV

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pure Pwnage Graduates To Broadcast TV

Pure Pwnage, the popular web series about fictional "pro" gamers, has graduated from the internet to become a full-fledged broadcast TV series, due to start airing in Canada next year.

Pure Pwnage, the (once?) popular web series that gave gamers the gift of such catchphrases as "BOOM! Headshot!" and nuggets of wisdom like "Everybody knows you run faster with a knife" has made the leap from newfangled internet television into oldfangled broadcast television, where it will become a full-on broadcast TV series that will start airing in its home country of Canada next year.

The series, which will air in 30 minute episodes like any other sitcom, will track the life, mocumentary style, of Jeremy, the star of the web series and a person Giant Realm media is calling a "26 year old gamer version of Larry David." They also compare the show's appeal to hip comedies like Curb Your Enthusiasm and Flight of the Conchords. I like Pure Pwnage, but, err, I don't really see the parallels there.

The premise of the show is that Jeremy has been forced by his mom to get a job, but, being the numbskull gamer that he is, has a hard time taking his internet/gamer logic and adapting it to the real world. The series will find him trying to find work as a rock star, videogame tutor and grocery store employee.

"We've enjoyed amazing success on the Internet, supported in part by our advertising partnership with Giant Realm," said Jarett Cale, who plays Jeremy. "We're grateful to Showcase for giving us the opportunity to take Pure Pwnage to the next level and are very excited to bring our popular characters to the TV platform."

Hopefully those characters include FPS Doug, the FPS obsessed Counter-Strike playing maniac whose brief appearances were easily the highlights of the series.

Pure Pwnage will air on Showcase in 2010.

I guess I will say... interesting.

Could be hilarious, or a disaster.

Either way, I'm not in Canada, so meh for me.

huh,web seies goes the way of the tv,good for them,maybe youtubes dawsons next.if not,ah well,goodbye^^

Really great news for them and I hope they do well... but personally, I feel the height of it's popularity has already passed. I mean, when I first actually watched the series FPS Doug and the like were already well played-out jokes and, while I haven't watched the second series, I certainly haven't heard as much buzz about it either.

I am both shocked and amazed by this news... I had no idea that they had T.V's in Canada

I'm glad they can still move ahead after the death of Troy Dixon (R.I.P.) and wish them success. can this go far on television? We'll have to see.

Never watched the series. I've heard of it, never watched it though. It looks like something I would watch if I was in Canada.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for a Zero Punctuation sitcom.

Stop ripping on purepwnage it's way better than most internet shoes, and if goes on tv it's gonna be even better.

Triple G:
Stop ripping on purepwnage it's way better than most internet shoes, and if goes on tv it's gonna be even better.

T.v Shoes?! What is this magical invention you speak of?!Sorry, had to.

Anyway...I've never been too much of a Pure Pwnage fan myself. It's not bad but not great.

Never seen it before, and I won't start unless it hits American airwaves too.

Hope they do well atleast.

GodsOneMistake:
I am both shocked and amazed by this news... I had no idea that they had T.V's in Canada

RACIST, we also brought you guys kenny vs spenny

wasalp:

GodsOneMistake:

And most of the filming of Stargate SG-1, and Supernatural was done in Canada. But anyway, I'm so stoked about this, hopefully they will keep the story they have going with the internet series right now.

Well, when you graduate after 5 years, you know there must be something wrong.

Hmmm. I've never even heard of this. Sounds like I have some catching up to do. That's awesome they were able to go from a web series to a TV show.

ChromeAlchemist:
I'm glad they can still move ahead after the death of Troy Dixon (R.I.P.) and wish them success. can this go far on television? We'll have to see.

Move ahead? They haven't had a new episode since LAST AUGUST. Shit, when they started out they had one every 2 months.

I don't really care if they are on tv, I just want them to start making episodes again :/

Epifols:

ChromeAlchemist:

Move ahead? They haven't had a new episode since LAST AUGUST. Shit, when they started out they had one every 2 months.

I don't really care if they are on tv, I just want them to start making episodes again :/

They pretty much have to make the decision of either work around Dixon not being in there, ignore him completely, or start fresh from the beginning of the series. I want them too, but I can wait.

Well, a friend of mine had shown me the episode of FPS Doug in which he spouts his famous lines, and after that...I still didn't really care for it. I found that part hilarious but nothing else really struck me as "funny".

I hope it does well, but I'm almost 100% certain it will fail.

What the hell? That goes against everything they stand for! They said they were making a point by keeping it free and internet only :(

Well, I'll be damned. I'm very happy to hear about this. I've loved this show for the comic relief, and the way it advanced gamer culture (by making fun of every aspect of it).

If it does well on TV in Canada, which it actually might if they're not just reshowing the old episodes, here's hoping it appears on a certain Australian timeslot... say, on ABC2, straight after Good Game? Please God. That will be the best free TV lineup ever.

Nivag:
What the hell? That goes against everything they stand for! They said they were making a point by keeping it free and internet only :(

Oh come on, think about what you're saying. This is PP we're talking about. They'll provide it on the Internet, or someone else will. And I doubt there'd ever be any accusations of piracy going around, since it's been a free show so far.

ChromeAlchemist:

I wonder will they keep his character with a different actor or... respectfully leave him out of it this time round. While he was an enjoyable character, that way too long rap song needs to never be repeated. Ever. By anyone or anything.

I wish them all the best. I'm just glad they are starting back after Troy died. I thought that was going to end the show.

LilGherkin:
Never seen it before, and I won't start unless it hits American airwaves too.

Hope they do well atleast.

I have a feeling if it does it'll be on Spike.

Chaos Marine:

ChromeAlchemist:

I wonder will they keep his character with a different actor or... respectfully leave him out of it this time round. While he was an enjoyable character, that way too long rap song needs to never be repeated. Ever. By anyone or anything.

I dunno about that, if it was repeated by Jeremy it would have been funny as hell. But I think they will leave him out. I feel if it was a case of replacing the character surely they would have did that already, but the loss hit them pretty hard.

This is a good thing. I'm not Canadian, but I can still be excited for them. Pure Pwnage has rocked for years and say what you want about them, but it was a great show and I sure hope that it will only get better from here. R.I.P. Troy Dixon...

Wait, so are they putting up the old episodes on TV? Or are they making new material?

Interesting stuff. I haven't really watched Pure Pwnage in... a year or two?

But we'll see =P

Good thing I live in Canada, bad thing I missed their theater-episodes last year in Toronto.

Woo! Canada! Too bad this doesn't actually look that funny...

But woo! Canada!

Hopefully the series will continue from where it left off in the web series, I've been waiting for the next episode for a long time. They'll be getting some extra cash, which is always good.

man, I forgot these guys existed. Too bad I don't live in Canada. (close though.)

There is not a single Ds game where u have to hit the buttons that franticaly.

so from this its seams to already be a fail.

Bigsmith:
There is not a single Ds game where u have to hit the buttons that franticaly.

so from this its seams to already be a fail.

Obviously your a noob. Doubt you have seen the show, but that comment was relevant and not just a low dig at you. =])

As long as Dave and Doug are in it then Im happy.
But they are talking about making 10 new episodes for TV.
Which is worrying cause Im still waiting for a conclusion to the last web episode.

In all fairness, Im just glad that they are still dedicated to PP, cause from the updates on the site, it looked like the series had gone the way of Duke Nukem Forever.

I love purepwnage, i cant wait for this.

wasalp:

GodsOneMistake:

The correct way of thinking is "what the Americans have ever done for us?" The answer is nothing. For T.V., there's family guy and some other good shows, but mostly crappy programs that only get off the ground because of the sheer amount of money thrown at them.

Is there seriously gonna be a TV show called this? The Internetz are gonna invade the world.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here