Grin Goes Under

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Grin Goes Under

Rumors of the possible shutdown of Swedish developer Grin, the studio behind Bionic Commando and Terminator Salvation, were confirmed today as the company announced that it was closing its doors after 12 years of operation.

Grin was first reported to be having financial problems all the way back in May, when more than 100 employees were laid off and its operations in Barcelona and Gothenburg were rumored to be facing closure. It came to light yesterday that those offices had in fact been closed in June, although the English-language gaming press somehow managed to miss it; in spite of the cuts, however, the company continued to struggle and sources claimed that employees had been told to stay home while a bankruptcy procedure took place.

Today the studio confirmed in a message posted on its website that it has ceased operations. "It is with a heavy heart we announce today that Grin has been forced to close its doors," the message said. "After twelve years of hard work, employing hundreds of wonderfully talented men and women, it is over. It has been a great adventure and the Grin family has experienced what few have."

The message blamed the shutdown on "an unbearable cash flow situation" brought about by delayed payments from publishers. It's interesting to note, as Joystiq did, that while the farewell message from Grin co-founders Bo and Ulf Andersson offer thanks to several individuals and companies including Ubisoft and Capcom, there's no mention at all of Warner, for whom Grin developed Terminator: Salvation and Wanted: Weapons of Fate. The underperforming movie games are widely believed to have played a major role in the studio's downfall.

But the news isn't all bad: Many ex-Grin staffers apparently didn't feel like taking an impromptu vacation and instead chose to form Outbreak Studios, headed by former Grin lead programmer Peter Björklund, who built the network engine used in games like Midtown Madness 3, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and Battlefield: Bad Company. The company plans to develop games for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, PSPGo and iPHone.

As sad as this is, I really don't care for them after Bionic Commando.

Oh wait, they made Wanted? Yeah, now I'm sad, that was a fun game.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this generation is cursed. Let's hope next generation doesn't repeat the same mistakes.

That's one less game company in Sweden... *sigh*

ChromeAlchemist:
I said it before and I'll say it again, this generation is cursed. Let's hope next generation doesn't repeat the same mistakes.

So hope all who live to see such times, compadre.

Well that's bad news for the employees I suppose, but after the crock of shit that was Terminator: Salvation I suppose there had to be repercussions of some kind.

I'll rent Terminator Salvation in tribute.

No wonder they are shutting down, they didnt make any worthwhile games that people bought

Well there goes another one...

One by one they fall or are swallowed by a bigger company.

Wildrow12:

ChromeAlchemist:

I don't think it helps a good deal when everyone wants every new game to visually trump the ones before it. The games don't have to look like Prototype, but they also don't have to look like Killzone 2, especially considering how long KZ2 took to get here, a development time most devs don't have. I'm gravy with a game that is a blast to play and looks good. Not eyeball searing, but good. If they can do both, even better, but know where your priorities lie.

This gen is too costly. R.I.P.:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

Too bad, in that yet another company "disappears" and that Grin has an awesome logo.
But I haven't really played any of their games so I'm not too sorry. I did like the demo for Wanted: WoF though...

ChromeAlchemist:

Wildrow12:

ChromeAlchemist:

I don't think it helps a good deal when everyone wants every new game to visually trump the ones before it. The games don't have to look like Prototype, but they also don't have to look like Killzone 2, especially considering how long KZ2 took to get here, a development time most devs don't have. I'm gravy with a game that is a blast to play and looks good. Not eyeball searing, but good. If they can do both, even better, but know where your priorities lie.

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

Everyone doesn't want that.

In fact the minority of people polled show they prefer graphics over quality gameplay.

The thing is that across the board gameplay is shit (basically) and so you only have one thing to improve on.

That's why I find myself more often than not playing PS1 games on my modded PSP :P. They look like crap but overall the gameplay was pretty entertaining.

Gaming has Periods of Bubble and Bust just like any other market, once this bust is done another Bubble will arise.

Just need some of the larger companies to shape up or crumble really.

Syphonz:
I'll rent Terminator Salvation in tribute.

What if it sucks?

Malygris:

But the news isn't all bad: Many ex-Grin staffers apparently didn't feel like taking an impromptu vacation and instead chose to form Outbreak Studios, headed by former Grin lead programmer Peter Björklund, who built the network engine used in games like Midtown Madness 3, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and Battlefield: Bad Company. The company plans to develop games for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, PSPGo and iPHone.

So is that why they didn't just let themselves be "bought out"? They figured it would be better to file for bankruptcy and start anew?

Normally I would be a bit sad by this but not for the guys and gals responsible for Terminator Salvation. They deserve no pity after that abomination. If you aren't going to put any effort into gameplay, AI or story at least make it look decent. At least then it looks like you might have been trying.

This is bad ne- terminator? Wanted?

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

Wildrow12:

ChromeAlchemist:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

In fact the minority of people polled show they prefer graphics over quality gameplay.

The thing is that across the board gameplay is shit (basically) and so you only have one thing to improve on.

That's why I find myself more often than not playing PS1 games on my modded PSP :P. They look like crap but overall the gameplay was pretty entertaining.

Gaming has Periods of Bubble and Bust just like any other market, once this bust is done another Bubble will arise.

It's not really here, it's other places where many people value graphics over gameplay. Gameplay isn't so much shit, as it is stagnating over the similarity. Either way this industry is sick and needs a surgeon. Is it really a case of companies shaping up though? The larger companies can take risks, it's the smaller ones that are being killed off.

I agree on this being a phase though (if that's what you were saying), I've said so myself in the past.

Graphics just don't need to improve in leaps and bounds any more in my opinion.

Malicious:
No wonder they are shutting down, they didnt make any worthwhile games that people bought

GRAW 2.

*Slaps face* i know i forgot something, but its barely a game to admire, the AI is the worst ive ever seen, the story is plain silly, and the games idea of "hard" is to have 5 snipers and 3 rpgs you cant see every 10 meters, so in other words, it sucked too, unfortunately. I wont miss Grin

If they're now working on anything that has to do with Bad Company, I'm sold on their new company. But yeah, it sucked. Incidentally, I live in the same country.

ChromeAlchemist:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

The thing is that companies are going down now after releasing nothing or horrible games that make me not care that they are going. These are no reasons for angst at the level of Looking Glass or Troika.

ChromeAlchemist:

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

Wildrow12:

ChromeAlchemist:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

It's not really here, it's other places where many people value graphics over gameplay. Gameplay isn't so much shit, as it is stagnating over the similarity. Either way this industry is sick and needs a surgeon. Is it really a case of companies shaping up though? The larger companies can take risks, it's the smaller ones that are being killed off.

I agree on this being a phase though (if that's what you were saying), I've said so myself in the past.

Technically they can take risks, but financially they won't.

Investors rarely invest in risk unless you REALLY sell it to them.

Smaller companies have little to lose since they have little already so they tend to try wild things.

World of Goo being a good example.

OR you could use the Valve model, take something you think will be shit (IE Portal) and package it with something you think is god (IE Half Life 2) then if it IS good it'll end up overshadowing its parent :P.

At least I've heard way more about portal than HL2.

Wildrow12:

ChromeAlchemist:

But that is not for them to decide.

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

Wildrow12:

ChromeAlchemist:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

Technically they can take risks, but financially they won't.

Investors rarely invest in risk unless you REALLY sell it to them.

Smaller companies have little to lose since they have little already so they tend to try wild things.

World of Goo being a good example.

OR you could use the Valve model, take something you think will be shit (IE Portal) and package it with something you think is god (IE Half Life 2) then if it IS good it'll end up overshadowing its parent :P.

At least I've heard way more about portal than HL2.

Hey, you've been here since 07, so that means you were here when the 'cake is a lie' phase swept over these forums.

More Fun To Compute:

ChromeAlchemist:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

The thing is that companies are going down now after releasing nothing or horrible games that make me not care that they are going. These are no reasons for angst at the level of Looking Glass or Troika.

Hey, Free Radical promised us TimeSplitters 4. TS4! Can you imagine the monkey laden insanity? (We'll ignore Future Perfect)

Man....I really liked it when GRIN did GRAW 2 on PC.....

I love the logo, reminds me of the Cheshire cat.

ChromeAlchemist:

Hey, you've been here since 07, so that means you were here when the 'cake is a lie' phase swept over these forums.

Which was basically my point :). The only time any large company will take chances is when that chance is bundled with what their investors considers a done deal.

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

Which was basically my point :). The only time any large company will take chances is when that chance is bundled with what their investors considers a done deal.

Aha, I see! Your mind is quick, and cunning like a fox. Mine is inert, and comatose, like someone who is awake at 5am and should go to bed.

They made some pretty good, underrated games. They also made some creative games given the lincense.

ChromeAlchemist:

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

Aha, I see! Your mind is quick, and cunning like a fox. Mine is inert, and comatose, like someone who is awake at 5am and should go to bed.

I promise you this. If you think that my mind is any of those things, you haven't known me long enough ;).

But thanks regardless.

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

theultimateend:

ChromeAlchemist:

I promise you this. If you think that my mind is any of those things, you haven't known me long enough ;).

But thanks regardless.

Hey, I'm pretty tired. At this point I'd tell you that Bobby Kotick is the best thing to hit gaming since John Romero. ;¬D

ChromeAlchemist:

Free Radical

GRIN Studios

3D Realms (DNF Team)

List Pending.

i think the amount that died in the last gen was a lot bigger, this happens all the time with development studios

as for 3drealms and their demise, that was more of a several generations ago, they took well over 12 years to make one bloody game

Grin does SOO MUUCH stuff! 3 kinda bad games (well, ok Terminator was atrocious) is all it took to bring them down?

Well, after the downturn in quality of games later on in the studios portfolio, I think it's not a bad thing, especially as some of the company has split and formed a seperate one, and the resume of the lead programmer guy was pretty impressive.

hansari:
So is that why they didn't just let themselves be "bought out"? They figured it would be better to file for bankruptcy and start anew?

Maybe noone wanted to buy them?

A tear shed for the lost.

Now I'm going to sing Sweden's National Anthem. *Starts singing* *Realizes that he's not very good* *stops singing* *:-(*

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here