Treyarch Threatens to Ban Console Modders

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Treyarch Threatens to Ban Console Modders

Call of Duty: World at War developer Treyarch is taking a hard line with console modders, warning that anyone caught playing with hacked or modded hardware faces a "complete ban" from their online services.

In a message posted at the World at War Headquarters, Treyarch wrote that its most recent title update addressed a number of issues caused by people using hacked systems that were "disrupting the online experience for everybody else." But they're not stopping there, apparently; the studio also laid out a stern warning to anyone considering playing the game with modded hardware.

"Treyarch has adopted a zero tolerance policy towards console hackers / modders. We are actively working with our console partners (Microsoft and Sony) to take action against all proven offenders, up to and including a complete ban from all of their online services," the message says. "Our number one priority is to protect the experience of our online gaming community (most of you reading this message), and the efforts of console hackers / modders directly target the community in a negative way."

The company also has some advice for anyone interested in messing with the game for "legitimate" purposes: Get the PC version. "We understand that a primary motivation in hacking / modding is to bring something 'fresh' or 'new' to the game," the message says. "That is why the PC platform has a full suite of Mapping / Modding tools, along with plenty of documentation to go along with it. If you are interested in the technical aspect of game modding, check out the PC version of CoD:WaW, where modding is legal, fully supported, and encouraged."

"For those of you that are currently modding or are considering modding your console, this message should serve as a warning," it continues. "For those of you looking to enjoy a safe and fun online experience, please be reassured by it - console hacking is illegal, and will not be tolerated."

The suggestion to switch to the PC version of the game is an interesting one and I think it's the first time I've never heard a developer say such a thing. There's no question that PC games are more hackable, so in the end I suppose it comes down to intent: Do you want to create something new and fun, or just jerk people around?

Whichever it is: You've been warned!

So, even if the console is modded in the most binary of ways you get banned from their game, even if you don't use it to gain an advantage? Sounds good for Aimbots and the such though, I hate those in CoD4.

Good, hopefully this lessens cheating/bots. Cheating is crazy in CoD4 so I've heard.

Modding and hacking in custom games with friends is fun.
Modding and hacking for personal gain against other people is stupid incarnate.

Either way, Trayarch has the right idea punishing those idiot trolls online.

Sigh, Treyarch get so much flak, yet they actually give two shits about their consumers, even if IW recently patched the PS3 version.

...Or did they?

Wait... you can mod consoles?

That would explain that guy who had 67 headshots on Cod 4.

In a 3 minute match!

You don't threaten.

You ban. All this "you've been warned" crap pisses me off.

Considering the number of times I've gone up against people who've proudly proclaimed that they use modded controllers in CoD4 I'm glad that Treyarch see this subject the same way I do.

It is somewhat annoying when you're playing the game fair and square but some twat half way across the globe with a 'fuck sportsmanship' mentality come on with the rapid fire, 1-hit kill machine gun/sniper rifle of doom and heat seeking bullets.

Would this soon apply to CoD:4 servers. I heard a lot of people complaining that theirs been a lot of Modding there.

They're scared shitless that someone will put PC's maps in the consoles, and they'll lose the gold fountain of the map packs.

$10 for 4 measly maps, however good they are?. Please!.

paketep:
They're scared shitless that someone will put PC's maps in the consoles, and they'll lose the gold fountain of the map packs.

basically

i hate cheaters but modders really dont bug me

You, know, while Treyarch might not be the most innovative of developers, I'm starting to respect them for their dedication to their player base, even more so than IW. I mean, World at War has had several patches and four map packs in less than a year.

edgeofblade:
You don't threaten.

You ban. All this "you've been warned" crap pisses me off.

This. I came here to post exactly this. Well put edgeofblade.

iblis666:

paketep:

basically

You do realise they're one in the same, right?

They're within their rights to do this, it's a smart move, I support them in this.

However, to date, I have never owned or played a Call of Duty game. I'm a Battlefield Bitch! Or I was, until that steamy pile of crap "BF Heroes".

Zero tolerance seems like a good idea to me. I was playing WaW just a few minuets ago found a few hackers and they pissed me off a bit. What realy pissed me off was everyone eles screaming down their mics about them.

Khell_Sennet:
They're within their rights to do this, it's a smart move, I support them in this.

However, to date, I have never owned or played a Call of Duty game. I'm a Battlefield Bitch! Or I was, until that steamy pile of crap "BF Heroes".

It wasn't good? awwwh i had expectations, and now you crushed them.

I support Treyarch, the less cheater, the better.

Bored Tomatoe:
You, know, while Treyarch might not be the most innovative of developers, I'm starting to respect them for their dedication to their player base, even more so than IW. I mean, W@W has had several patches and four map packs in less than a year.

Very true...in fact I was hoping Modern Warfare 2 was gonna be a DLC instead of a sequel...how about some love Infinity Ward?

Good god, Treyarch made a smart move!

This makes a great deal of sense given how much easier it is for PC players to dispose of jerk modders. Handing out bans on LIVE/PSN seems to be quite an involved process, one that's largely removed from the players as well. Retribution comes a lot faster for cheaters who piss off a server admin.

Sparrow Tag:

iblis666:

paketep:

basically

they are not the same thing and i cant believe you even said that

"A common example of one kind of modding is video game console mod chips, which can allow users to play homemade games, games legitimately purchased in other regions, or legal backup copies"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding#Video_game_consoles

true modding can be misused but there are many reasons beyond cheating to mod a system and though the dmca might not see it like i do which is why i dont use a modded system i say all the power to those that do

iblis666:

Sparrow Tag:

iblis666:

paketep:

basically

"A common example of one kind of modding is video game console mod chips, which can allow users to play homemade games, games legitimately purchased in other regions, or legal backup copies"

true modding can be misused but there are many reasons beyond cheating to mod a system and though the dmca might not see it like i do which is why i dont use a modded system i say all the power to those that do

You don't seem to understand me.

If someone uses a modded console, whilst someone else uses a normal console, they have the edge. I would say that's cheating.

okay, i could see them banning someone from their own game but not from online entirely, is that even legal.

Serisoly, i dont mod but if I had the chance (and I do since my PS3 and computer are about 5 feet away, i just dont know how to do it) I'd do it. but if you mod in WaW then you get banned from the whole online experience, thats fucking bullshit.

they should just ban you from WaW not every other game YOU bought with YOUR own money.

this makes me dislike Treyarc even more, and thats why I dont even own WaW.

What I took from this is that if you mod your controller you can be permanently banned from Xbox Live

Supreme Unleaded:
okay, i could see them banning someone from their own game but not from online entirely, is that even legal.

Serisoly, i dont mod but if I had the chance (and I do since my PS3 and computer are about 5 feet away, i just dont know how to do it) I'd do it. but if you mod in WaW then you get banned from the whole online experience, thats fucking bullshit.

they should just ban you from WaW not every other game YOU bought with YOUR own money.

If they get banned from WaW they'll just go to COD 4 and use it there so I completely agree

Sparrow Tag:

iblis666:

Sparrow Tag:

iblis666:

paketep:

basically

You don't seem to understand me.

If someone uses a modded console, whilst someone else uses a normal console, they have the edge. I would say that's cheating.

using a aiming mod is cheating i dont think either of us would argue with that but using a inventory mod or a region mod does not truly effect the game play of anyone else it just makes it easier on the person with the console as such i cant recognize it as cheating but then again i guess i have the same view as the judge in Italy that threw out a Sony case saying it was up to owners of a console what they did with it.

Pandalisk:

Khell_Sennet:

It wasn't good? awwwh i had expectations, and now you crushed them.

The term "Shit Sandwich" could apply to BF Heroes, but then, a sandwich at least has bread, which would be good up until the point the shit touches it. Heroes doesn't even havethat much going for it.

Supreme Unleaded:

Maybe you should try reading the PSN/XBL terms and conditions all players must agree to. It includes a section on modded consoles and that you can be banned for it. Treyarch themselves cannot issue bans, but all they have to do is report you to the representative company. Yes its perfectly legal and something I encourage.

eoin90210:

Supreme Unleaded:

If they get banned from WaW they'll just go to COD 4 and use it there so I completely agree

it doesnt matter, think about it, if you have a 360 and you pay $50 for online play, then you buy say 10 games and most are online based games where the singleplayer isnt all that good.

Now lets say you wanna have some fun and get some modding tools and just test a few small ones out.

Then bam, your banned from ever using online again. I would be pissed off to hell

if they ban you from THEIR game then its like, oh damn that sucks. But if they ban you from using online then you pretty much just waisted up to $300.

Now this is all hypothetical but it probably will happen, i like i said would probably try out some mods if i could but if I got banned from online I would never try. They are sucking the fun out of everything, this is why Treyarc should die in a hole.

...does this count towards those that upgrade the PS3 HDD? I sure as hell hope not!

Because technically it is modding the console...

Supreme Unleaded:

eoin90210:

Supreme Unleaded:

it doesnt matter, think about it, if you have a 360 and you pay $50 for online play, then you buy say 10 games and most are online based games where the singleplayer isnt all that good.

Now lets say you wanna have some fun and get some modding tools and just test a few small ones out.

Then bam, your banned from ever using online again. I would be pissed off to hell

if they ban you from THEIR game then its like, oh damn that sucks. But if te amount of money they ban you from using online then you pretty much just waisted up to $300.

Now this is all hypothetical but it probably will happen, i like i said would probably try out some mods if i could but if I got banned from online I would never try. They are sucking the fun out of everything, this is why Treyarc should die in a hole.

That may make it fun for you but it does for nobody else and why should treyarch die for making sure that good players are good for skill and not for the amount of money your willing to spend on a controller and you just proved that Treyarchs point is right "like i said would probably try out some mods if i could but if I got banned from online I would never try" it worked as a deterrent so well done Treyarch

Bored Tomatoe:
You, know, while Treyarch might not be the most innovative of developers, I'm starting to respect them for their dedication to their player base, even more so than IW. I mean, World at War has had several patches and four map packs in less than a year.

Definitely. The one thing I don't like is that it seems like they rush the map packs a bit. 3 Map Packs in three months, all of which introduced new glitches they had to patch later on. I wouldn't mind waiting a bit for better quality products.

I don't have a problem with modding (or even glitching) in a private game with friends (where any points earned are null and no innocents are harmed), but in a public game, it's unacceptable and extremely rude.

Tally ho, Treyarch. Tally ho.

Glad to see some bite instead of bark for once.

Glad to see this, now hopefully others will take up the same policy.

DiamondJim:
Tally ho, Treyarch. Tally ho.

Glad to see some bite instead of bark for once.

Dynamite profile pic by the by

Fat Man Spoon:
Wait... you can mod consoles?

That would explain that guy who had 67 headshots on Cod 4.

In a 3 minute match!

No way! You too? CoD 4 and WaW for me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook