The Week in Review

The Week in Review

News is coming! Flee the city!

3 Won't Be On The 3

That's Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and PlayStation 3 respectively. Gabe Newell confirmed that Valve is working on the final episode in the Half-Life 2 saga, and not just wrestling leopards and trying to build a unicorn. Sadly this heartening news is tempered with sorrow, as Mr Newell made it quite clear that the game probably would not be appearing on the PS3.

Why does Valve hate the PS3 so much? Hit the link to find out! (link)

Judgement Day Edges Ever Closer

Ignore what the Terminator movies tell you, it won't be Cyberdyne Systems that ushers in the rise of the machines; it'll be Nintendo. AI programmer Robin Baumgarten probably had the best of intentions when he made a program capable of playing Mario on its own, but that's how these things get started. Hit the link for video goodness.

Oh, and Baumgarten? You've doomed us all. Thanks a lot. (link)

Censors Spoil Things For Australians Again

Hail traveler! Come, rest your weary legs by my fire. Might I interest you in some brugleweed? What's that, you're Australian? Then I'm afraid you're going to have to leave, your government doesn't like you fraternizing with the likes of me. The OFLC is up to its old tricks again, making life more miserable for Australia's native gamers and making the country look bad by banning RPG title Risen. Click the link for the full details.

I'll give you a clue: See the 'brugleweed' above? Yeah, that. (link)

When Good Nerds Go Bad

We continue our theme of fictional robots causing trouble now, this time in the form of giant battlesuits for use in space. Yoshifumi Takabe burnt down his house in an effort to kill himself after his mother threw away his collection of Gundam models. Our resident Gundam expert John Funk estimated that his collection may have been worth a few thousand dollars, which totally justifies his actions in a not-really sort of way.

Mr. Takabe survived the blaze, and we wish him luck in his new, maximum security, home. (link)

Bored of Taurens? Be a Goblin instead!

Picture the scene, Algalon the Observer lies dead at my feet, I lift my epic axe above my head and roar a battle cry. Damned cool stuff, but do you know what would make it cooler? Being a werewolf! Rumors are circulating that suggest that the Worgen will be the new Alliance race in the next World of Warcraft expansion. The Horde, on the other hand, are supposed to be getting Goblins, which is less cool, but finally gives the faction a race to make short jokes about.

Are the rumors true? Find out when we report from BlizzCon! (link)

the guy burned his House down in a Attempt to kill himself cause his mother threw away a model collection, um.. wow.. sounds like he failed since 'attempt' was used. but i may be wrong.

WOOOO SCREW PS3!!

WHAT!?

Episode 3 isn't comming on the PS3?! WHAT THE FUCK is up with that?! Sorry to sound like an angry fanboy but thats just stupid!

I urge 360 owners to boycott Valve until they give PS3 owners a fair treatment as well! This is an outrage!

...Its not gona happen, is it...

*sigh* oh wells, it was worth a try...

Still, this has made me seriously reconsider replacing my currently broken PS3... Should I get a 360, purely for Episode 3? Oh great, more decisions to make..

Simalacrum:

WHAT!?

Episode 3 isn't comming on the PS3?! WHAT THE FUCK is up with that?! Sorry to sound like an angry fanboy but thats just stupid!

I urge 360 owners to boycott Valve until they give PS3 owners a fair treatment as well! This is an outrage!

Still, this has made me seriously reconsider replacing my currently broken PS3... Should I get a 360, purely for Episode 3? Oh great, more decisions to make..

You know that PC your posting from, with a bit of an upgrade you can probably play it. Besides who cares if it doesn't come out that will be like 5 years from now.

I don't blame Valve for ignoring the PS3; I've heard that it's ridiculously complicated to program for!

...plus, I have a small Gabe Newell shrine which I worship in my closet...but there's nothing wrong with that...

I still can't believe how stiff Australia is.

Really, banning a game because of fake drugs?!

Gabe Newell successfully defends the title of "Biggest Douche in the Universe" for a record 59th time!

HardRockSamurai:
I don't blame Valve for ignoring the PS3; I've heard that it's ridiculously complicated to program for!

...plus, I have a small Gabe Newell shrine which I worship in my closet...but there's nothing wrong with that...

I'll say this as many times as I have to, the Ps3 is not "difficult" to program for it's just "different". VALVe is a PC developer, not a console developer, I doubt they have an easy time programing for the 360 even. The PS3 is completely different from a PC, what with different things to program for n' all. VALVe can't expect to become gods of programing on the PS3 overnight and neither should we expect them to. They have done next to nothing with the PS3 itself, it's understandable that they would have some struggle with something new. Different things tend to bring Difficult with them.

And I also hate how he says "Episode 3 will probably not go to PS3, most likely." Stop with the probably already, you said that with L4D where "If L4D sells well, we might consider porting it to PS3" which it did, duh. Just say "no, we're not developing it for PS3" and if it turns out your lied and you were, hooplah! Developers do that all the time!

I actually agree with Gabe, Sony are a bunch of dicks in the customer support section. I've heard "Our product doesn't have any problems" from customer support when my blu-ray took a dump... and it was still under warranty.

Who the hell cares if half-ife 3 isn't on the ps3. If you really want it, upgrade your PC or get it for the xbox, you got enough money for the ps3, right? Plus, all I care about is if the game comes out.

Simalacrum:

WHAT!?

Dont ever buy a console for just one game..........the hell is wrong with you?

buy a console if it has atleast 8 games you would play on it, thats a good number though you can increase it or decrease it as you see fit. [unless if its the WII, then you must get it for the Homestar Runner Games........ DO IT! NAO!]

bradley348:
WOOOO SCREW PS3!!

Hahahahah you're a jerk. Just like Valve.

Boo freaking hoo.

The Orange Box minimum specs are ABSURDLY low, and one could expect the same will be true for Episode 3. If you can open more than 3 instances of NotePad, you should be able to play a Valve game on medium settings.

Onmi:

Simalacrum:

WHAT!?

You know that PC your posting from, with a bit of an upgrade you can probably play it. Besides who cares if it doesn't come out that will be like 5 years from now.

...its a Macbook...

Simalacrum:

Onmi:

Simalacrum:

WHAT!?

...its a Macbook...

lol, expensive paperweight.

this week, the american right started throwing words like "evil" and "orwellian" about.
To what were they referring? that's right the NHS, that bastion of communist supression.

good grief, it actually makes me quite sad sometimes.

Onmi:

Simalacrum:

WHAT!?

You know that PC your posting from, with a bit of an upgrade you can probably play it.

LOL, why bother buying for the 360/PS3 anyway buying it for the PC is the way to go. THINK OF ALL THE MODS!

Simalacrum:

Onmi:

Simalacrum:

WHAT!?

...its a Macbook...

I know your pain. If it's a newer high-end MBPro I would consider Bootcamp (Link), which would allow you to run Vista or XP.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here