Sony Reveals PS3 Slim, Drops PS3 Prices to $299

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Sony Reveals PS3 Slim, Drops PS3 Prices to $299

After months of leaks and rumors, Sony has finally officially announced the PS3 Slim for release on September 11 for $299, which also happens to be the new price point for most existing PS3 models.

Finally, after months of shady snapshots from Chinese factories, info leaks from retailers and everyone just generally assuming it was going to happen, Sony has made it for real: there is a smaller, lighter version of the PlayStation 3 coming out...a PS3 Slim, if you will.

The Slim will release on September 1 and be priced at $299, 299 Euros and 29,980 yen. It's supposedly 32% smaller, 32% lighter, eats up less power (yay for lower bills) and sports 120 GB of hard drive space. Otherwise, as Sony Europe's Jem Alexander says, the Slim has "all the same features your current PS3 has."

Speaking of current PS3s, Sony will also be dropping the price tag on "all current PS3s on the shelf" to the same point as the Slim: $299 and 299 Euros. That price drop is effective immediately - retailers should have caught up by the end of the day. Most of them probably have already done so. Clearly, Kmart has. In North America, the 160 GB model bundled with Uncharted will drop to $399.

So, all current models are cheaper and the Slim is coming soon. I don't see much reason not to just wait for the Slim if you want a PS3, unless you really hate its design, or really want another George Foreman Grill. I could understand that.

UPDATE: Got some more specific info from Sony regarding the feature set of the machine. The Slim supports one new feature and loses one old one. The new thing is support for sync with Bravia TVs, where if you plug your Slim into a Bravia, you can manage the Xross Media Bar with your remote control, and turn off your system by turning off your TV.

The thing it won't have that the old PS3s do is the support for other operating systems. "The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system," Sony said.

Sony really can't keep a secret. Trying to hold off a Sony announcement is like trying to cover up nudity with lace.

I wanna see a pic of the PS3 slim! I'm sick and tired of that crappy old photo of a slim-on-a-box, dammit!

Is there backwards compatability? That's all I want to know. It seems unlikely since it wasn't specifically mentioned.

The cat's outta the bag.

The new design is f*ck ugly though.

I was just about to quote Funk asking whether the good news had come out yet...

Anyway, this is good news for anyone on the fence about purchasing a PS3. Now all they have to do is add BC back, and I will gladly swoon back into Sony's welcoming arms as a consumer.

Well Sony has fired another shot in the console wars, we'll have to wait an see how this influences holiday season sales. Let's wait and see Microsoft's response. I was reading rumors of them phasing out the pro and replacing that price point with the Elite.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

All current model PS3s are going down to $299? So, does that mean an 80GB "fat" model costs the same as a 120GB "fat" model?

Either way, hoo-RAY for price drop of $100! Hopefully it'll stop people bitching about the price and whining for more of a price cut.

Though the release date of the Slim..........yyeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, not the most ideal time...

i told you all it was true...

now ive paid more than i need to for my PS3...

not a zaar:
Is there backwards compatability? That's all I want to know. It seems unlikely since it wasn't specifically mentioned.

There's no backwards comp.

Casual Shinji:
The cat's outta the bag.

Yeah, it's pretty HIDEOS.

Price drop = Yay! Finally!

Slim = Fail. I just don't see why we need it.

I'm still not planning on buying a PS3 any time soon, but when I get a huge-ass HDTV it will definitely be on my short-list of things to buy after. That price does make it more attractive.

EDIT:
Just thought of this; Can anyone imagine the irony if in a month or so we find out the thing has no wireless. Haha, and knowing Sony they'd take out the Blu Ray drive too, so as to switch to all digital distribution. Not trolling, I just think it'd be really funny.

Frakking finally! I can actually get one now!

Do the PS3's already out there have backwards comp though?

September 11th of all days. Guess peeps in America no longer need to feel [as] sad during that day.

One thing lost is another thing gained as they say.

Meh, I already got my Blu-ray player.

I don't get why Sony hasn't added back the emotion chip or heck even the software compatibility for PS2 titles. While yes I have a PS2 I can use, I only have a finite amount of space in my entertainment center. I can't imagine the cost is that high given that Sony recently stated that their production costs dropped and they are actually making a profit on each PS3 sold now.

One of the reasons for the PS2's early success was that you could play all original PS games on it.

Terramax:
September 11th of all days. Guess peeps in America no longer need to feel [as] sad during that day.

to be fair, Sony is a Japanese company and they aren't as aware of 9/11 is as, say, America may be.

Still, that is a pretty big f*ck up of Sony's marketing team... again.

They had to drop the price of the PS3 within days of me fianlly buying one. I`m officially annoyed

Jumplion:

Though the release date of the Slim..........yyeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, not the most ideal time...

You'd be surprised at how much stuff is actually released/has premiere on September 11th.

Thank you Sony, I was losing my faith in you. I am so glad that I held out for a price cut, because I can now buy my PS3 and use the extra 100 or so for games.

Now all they need to do is fix the controller, and we're all set!

Ah well, too bad my parents already bought it for about twice that price, just so they could play Tiger Woods, when we already have an Xbox 360.

Hurray! Me playing The Last Guardian isn't a crazy dream after all!

does anybody know why they couldnt have backwards compatibility

and

if the slim ps3 is anything like the slim ps2 then forget it

i have perfectly good disks that skip or dont play on my slim ps2

Angron:
i told you all it was true...

now ive paid more than i need to for my PS3...

Now I have enjoyed my Playstation since the beginning!

Terramax:

That sorority horror movie is also being released on the 11th.

I think America is starting to forget =p

Meh, the Slim doesn't look too bad, and I bought my PS3 $50 off. Doesn't really bother me that much.

Keane Ng:
... or really want another George Foreman Grill.

The best part of this news is that you will have to go buy another joke.

Well, if it brings back PS2 compatability I'd be interested in buying it, chopping the power usage fixes my main problem with current PS3's and the price drop is a bonus and a half.

Dumb question!

Are Sony going to advertise the bejesus out this one's release? I can't remember seeing a single PS3 advert when it came out to begin with. I only knew it had come out because one appeared in my neighbour's.

Casual Shinji:
The cat's outta the bag.

The old one wasn't?

It's just... thinner then?
I remain unimpressed.

I don't understand the appeal in having anything less than a bricklike monstrosity laying on your entertainment shelf.

Found images, it LOOKS cheap. Power button/eject are no longer touch sensitive. They are actual buttons. Cheap plastic, cheap looks, etc. Given a choice between the 2 if I didn't already have one I think I would still buy a large one.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-slimmer-ps3/2216341/

EDIT: .... Seeing the images I just can't believe how cheap and hideous it is. I don't think that will leave my thoughts for quite a while.

Simalacrum:

to be fair, Sony is a Japanese company and they aren't as aware of 9/11 is as, say, America may be.

Still, that is a pretty big f*ck up of Sony's marketing team... again.

9/11 was big news all over the world. I'm from the UK but was in Spain when 9/11 happened and it was all over the news in those two countries also.

Secondly, Sony will obviously always be in contact with other branches elsewhere in the world when it comes to big news like the release of a slim model.

They didn't just pull the date out of a hate. All companies are very particular and tactiful about release dates of any products i.e. when would be the perfect day/ week/ month to release to maximise sales and avoid as much competition.

In other words, releasing on 9/11 is very deliberate. Maybe even possibly so guys like me would spread the word on forums like these.

*gasp*

Does that make me Sony's bitch?

Izerous:
Found images, it LOOKS cheap. Power button/eject are no longer touch sensitive. They are actual buttons. Cheap plastic, cheap looks, etc. Given a choice between the 2 if I didn't already have one I think I would still buy a large one.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/sonys-slimmer-ps3/2216341/

EDIT: .... Seeing the images I just can't believe how cheap and hideous it is. I don't think that will leave my thoughts for quite a while.

Really, it looks fine to me. What exactly about it looks hideous, it's just a thinner, more lightweight PS3. What's so ugly about it? It's not like you buy a console for the aesthetics anyway.

Now it is time for all those people who said if the price was lower I would buy one to put their money where their mouth is. Hopefully everyone who said that will do it.

About time. I was hoping they would drop the price to $249, but oh well, such is life.

Now as long as people buy it, there will be more people to play games online with. Yay.

It's nice that this has let them reduce the price to $299.99, that's the price of a regular blu-ray player. It's also not as huge as the first version. I'll admit I don't think it looks that great, but then again neither did the first one. Backwards compatibility would cost Sony about $30/a console which would kill their margin.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

This is great news. I was going to buy a Ps3 anyway and now I'll save 200 bones. I'm glad those nerds at Sony finally figured out how to lower the price.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here