Japanese McDonald's Makes Fun of White People

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

I feel a strange kinship to this so-called "caricature".
I simply must wash my hair soon...

Sparrow Tag:
And?

Nobody makes fun of white American people nowadays, I think they're well deserving of a good joke. The French, Russians and black people have been in the firing line for too long.

you forgot the irish and the blonds.

Well we do take the piss out of Japanese tourists though not directly to their face (not that I have seen) so this is pretty harmless. However not everyone likes these types of jokes and will find it to offensive either way.

I guess it depends how it is done in away, usually when I see a comedy show/movie/comedian having a go at stereotypes it goes for everyone, not just a single race.

hahahaha the stereo type is pretty funny the franca guys need to lighten up.

Yeah, just a funny stereotype. Just like black people eating watermelon. Funny, right? "Learn to laugh at ourselves" and all that? People who don't find it funny "take offense at everything", amirite?

Or is stereotyping of white people an acceptable double standard?

Sparrow Tag:
And?

Nobody makes fun of white American people nowadays, I think they're well deserving of a good joke. The French, Russians and black people have been in the firing line for too long.

so youve never heard a hill billy joke/southener joke or one about how much mc donalds they eat and why theyre so fat?

Oh boy. What happened to people having thick skin? Simply ridiculous. Stereotypes are made when a group of people, regardless of race or gender, act. Doesn't mean it's suppose to be applied personally. Blondes are considered dumbest of the other hair color. Women are all evil, PMSy thing, men all think with their dicks, etc etc. The list goes on. Double standards seriously need to blow my left big toe.

People need to grow up and be comfortable in their skin. If you know you're not the stereotype, why the hell should it matter? Let people think whatever the hell they wanna think. Just know who you are and know that not ever single stereotype is true.

Hell, I'm 1/2 black and I hate watermelon. Yeah. I just blew you mind.

I'm white, and I don't give a fuck! We all need a good laugh, even at ourselves.

I think it's quite funny, I don't think anyone would take offence to it anyway.

Everyone is getting all pissy over the race of the target caricature, but it's not about mocking white people. It's about making fun of Americans. Who, typically are boorish and stupid.

That's our stereotype, huh. I guess it's improved a little bit. Anyway, I don't think people should get mad over stuff like this so I refuse to allow myself to be angry about it.

Dazza5897922:

EcoEclipse:
I'm pretty sure we'll well overdo. Personally, I would like to see one of these ads. And you know, it is Japan. They do things like this.

"I'm sure we're well overdue" your grammer is confusing.

Dammit. One of those was a typo, the other was me being an idiot. /shame

In my country, specifically scotland.. we have something like the worst for smoking in europe, the worst for teenage pregnacies, and they are mixed in with our countries high obesity rates too. Our economy is going to pot, it always rains and yet for some strange reason... the little city of Edinburgh is home to one of the biggest comedy festivals worldwide.

Just goes to show that if you admit to your faults, you can laugh about them and get on with more important stuff, like making elastic band balls.

It's not any worse than how McDonald's portrayal of black people. Check out some of the older commercials and ad campaigns. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I think we can all safely say McDonald's doesn't really care about how they portray their customers. But we can also safely say that McDonald's food sucks.

Some people need to develop a thicker skin and not let their delicate feelings get destroyed over little things.

Considering that this is their ronald mcdonald while we just get a fucking scary ass clown. I think they have the right to market their shit however they want.

ScruffyTheJanitor:
Just goes to show that if you admit to your faults, you can laugh about them and get on with more important stuff, like making elastic band balls.

Northern Calypso. Guide to Edinburgh. You have just got to love Hale and Pace.

civver:
Yeah, just a funny stereotype. Just like black people eating watermelon. Funny, right? "Learn to laugh at ourselves" and all that? People who don't find it funny "take offense at everything", amirite?

Or is stereotyping of white people an acceptable double standard?

White men cant dance!

... Fried chicken mmm mmm mmm.

I kinda like both.

Mostly because I am white, hate fried chicken... And cant dance.

And chinese goldfarming? I got a chinese schoolmate who shares his wow-acc with 3 other ppl... And guess what they are doing ;)

Well, America did nuke them.... I say let them have their fun.

If you're white, male, and heterosexual, you've got no rights anywhere anymore.

Ah who the hell cares? Every now and then commercials in the US and in Australia are racist towards other nations as well.

Hell, if white people can't laugh at themselves (and there's plenty to laugh at, just like any other culture), then that's sad, because white comedians are usually the ones who accept no restrictions on what jokes they can make. If white people say "we can make "l and r" jokes about the Japanese", why can't the Japanese make fun of the almost universally TERRIBLE japanese most white people speak?

No one cares about this - aside from a few VERY THIN skinned white people. Most white people accept it as a joke, not a very clever or subtle joke, but just a joke nonetheless. Besides, Japanese society has never really had to deal with racism (apart from racism against the Chinese and the Koreans) and are totally clueless about black/white sensibilities. You really can't get angry at ignorance.

Sparrow Tag:
And?

Cant help but agree, this is just stupid, so what?, im a caucasian man but i still laugh at racial satire, it's not something personal for everyone of that color, its a satirical joke made on a stereotype, No one should get offended by this, especially not white people.

Americans deserve to be made fun of. We've made fun of everyone else, now it's our turn. But since we aren't used to it, many Americans react badly to a joke.

Seeing the Japanese 'interpretation' of English, German, French language in serious Japanese Commericals and Products gives me a great laugh all the time.

So, I donīt expect the Japanese people to take my Japanese skillz too seriously, also.

tkioz - come on. You have just as many rights as anyone else. What White, Male, heterosexuals are complaining about is the fact that they no longer have any EXTRA rights to enjoy. Last I checked, white people are still just as likely (or more) to be employed in high level positions, have access to higher education, utilities, voting rights, gun-ownership (in the USA), property ownership, blah blah blah bling bling bling blah.

You get my point - the only thing that's changed is that white people can't be mean to not-white people. How you construe that to "having your rights destroyed", I can't fathom.

Oh so what - you're complaining that you can't say the N-word, while black people can?!?! Oh booo hoooo hoooo. That's certainly worth crying about.

Oh you can't make funny racist jokes about other minorities but they can make them about whites? Again, boo hoo hoo. You actually still can make racist jokes. The government won't arrest you. But you can't expect the rest of us to like you for making it.

White people's rights haven't been touched and you know it. Society just frowns upon treating minorities like scum, and if some white people don't like it, I invite them to invent a time machine and travel back to the "glorious" 1950's or even further back.

White people haven't lost any rights. Racists haven't even lost any rights. It's just that racism, homophobia and patriarchy are not as socially acceptable as they once were. And if people don't like that, well, sorry but we can't remain in the stone age forever.

I live in Japan, I am white, speak Japanese and do research here.

I think it is funny, not offensive.

Japanese TV has a load of stupid adverts like this. For example, recently, instead of using beautiful models to represent beauty products they have started using a lot of fat ugly women wearning too much makeup (called `busu`). PLus Japan features plenty of non-Japanese people on the TV who speak fluent Japanese.

Japan uses silly stereotypes in adverts all the time, housewives, salarymen, sumo players e.t.c. Recently, the werider, the better

scnj:
Just seems like a harmless joke to me. People take offense at anything these days.

I would agree, but I don't negotiate with Viruses.

But seriously, I am in favor of anyone making fun of anyone for anything. The only way we will ever get past bigotry is to embrace stereotypes and slurs, thus removing the hate and replacing it with gags. But that's just what a fat-ass bastard canuck cracker thinks.

ROAR! I AM DISPLEASED!
I've seen this coming for while now, first they mock us, then one day BAM, their giant gundam suits and crazy robot seals are destroying our cities. The bastards.

they wrote in a letter?

because of course, prejudice, racism, etc hav all been removed and america is the cultural hub for free people on earth, end sarcasm mode.

seems funny to me, and japan is aparently rather xenophobic anyway, i doubt itl make anything harder for foreigners if it wasnt already there before.

That One Six:
Americans deserve to be made fun of. We've made fun of everyone else, now it's our turn. But since we aren't used to it, many Americans react badly to a joke.

thats a gd way of putting it. like the annoying little brat who tried to join in on water fights(when children were alowed out to play sum 10 years bak, and werent drinking, having underage sex and or being molested, in that order) but then tells every1 that he couldnt b soaked cos he would get in trouble, so ovcourse every1 turned terminater style and locked on to terminate :D ah the gd old days, theirs a few others i can think of, but im sure every1 can remember scenarios like that.

I've been to Japan twice, and I'm Caucasian female. While I don't know if I get treated differently due to my gender, for the most part, as long as you are polite and make an effort to either learn the language or get along with other people, you get treated well. At least that's been my experience.

I took Japanese in high school, but I forgot most of it by the time I went in 2003, and moreso when I went in May of this year. I could only speak simple phrases and sentences, and broken phrases for other things, but people generally understand what you're trying to ask. Definitely know the culture and how things work before you go, so you don't accidently make any faux-pas.

I love Japan. In addition to the culture and the people being so kind and generous (again, just my personal experience), I feel so much safer there.

I just find it funny that it hasn't gotten more attention in America. Everyone knows Japanese people are racist with their adverts. Hell there was a national uproar and received media coverage in the USA for this one which used a character that the mobile phone always used and giving it an Obama backdrop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInLo10I72w

That was on the news for a week of people hating on the fact that they felt the people were calling black people monkeys. But now that it is a white guy it is ok and cute, right? I live in Japan and have so for many years. Racism is bad here, but there is nothing to do about it. Japanese people don't care if they are racist because they are not taught that it is wrong.

Edit: As I re-read my post maybe I should spell out what the point is. I am more angry that people are willing to accept this, an advert calling foreigners idiots, than the one that was basically idolizing Obama, but did so in a poor way.

EVERYTHING I HAVE LEARNED FROM ANIMU WAS A LIE

TheFacelessOne:

Anyways.

In my opinion, this generation is too soft.

I mean, It's not like they intended this commercial to be offensive, they just tried to make it funny.

No course of action was necessarily needed to be taken, at least not an action like what just happened.

Deal with it.

It seems the lesson (once again) is that white people making fun of other races is racist, but when other races do it "just deal with it." And for the last time, White Chicks was not funny.

Twilightruler:
White people complaining about racism..now that's comedic. The same people who enslaved black people for somewhere in the area of a century. The same people who tortured japanese prisoners of war and wouldn't release them. The same people who "randomly screen" middle-eastern people at the airport. Honestly though...the double standards just keep on coming.

funny how the blacks would sell their people to the whites.

well im glad its being stopped, and like other people have said if we were all able to make fun of each and every race religion then im all for it but we cant because some people (often not the ones the joke was aimed at) get offended oh boohoo. I am white and I am not offended by this but its not one rule for one another rule for everyone else.

Also in terms of Japanese culture, they are very welcoming to outsiders but always look down upon them at the same time hence the word Gaijin which is largely unused now in japanese media due to the derogatory connotations.
This ad campaign just keeps up the view of outsiders being inferior in japan. not good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here