Swedish Hacker Builds Sudoku-Solving Lego Robot

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Swedish Hacker Builds Sudoku-Solving Lego Robot

Realizing Sudoku is incredibly boring, Swedish hacker Hans Andersson created a robot from a Lego Mindstorms NXT kit to solve the number puzzles for him.

As you can see in the video at right, the robot uses an optical scanner and character recognition software to scan the entire puzzle before crunching the numbers in its superior robo-brain and filling in the remaining blank squares with a pen.

Given that this is really just a writing implement built around a calculator we don't expect this lil' guy to go nuts and start lopping off heads or ejecting its pen into people's eyes.

Then again, that's what they said about Teddy Ruxpin, and we all know how evil that thing turned out to be.

That is slow...But so cool. Seems like a waste of time to build, but It's certainly fun to watch.

Ahh, lego mindstorm, what CAN'T you do :P

That's awesome.
I want one.

Certainly a cool showing of what technology can do. Can't wait until Skynet comes. I'll be laughing then at the irony of how people were joking about it. You know, kind of what I'm doing now.

I want NEED one of these things!

Haha, that was awesome.

I thought this would be a fix or a fake.
I was mistaken.
That is awesome... now this guy should go out and make one which solves crosswords.

OH DEAR GOD, A ROBOT THAT SOLVES SUDOKU...
MANKIND HAS BECOME OBSOLETE.

Seriously though, that guy's got mad programming skillz.

Wow, that thing completes Sudoku puzzles about as fast as I do with a normal pen, but I don't make the little whirly noise!

LEGO MEN if real would rule the world. We all know this.

Whatever you do, don't give that little guy the centuries it would take for him to scan in the world, cause then he'll quickly work on solving the Earth's problem with humanity. And we all know the pen is mightier than the sword. We're doomed.

Cpt_Oblivious:
That's awesome.
I want one.

That One Six:
I want NEED one of these things!

Who doesn't want/need one?
Pretty awesome thing to build, but the time to make it would have been extrodanarily long. Props to the hacker all the same.

You have to be pretty bored to do that

That robot has better handwriting than me.
OT: I want one.

Draygen:
Wow, that thing completes Sudoku puzzles about as fast as I do with a normal pen, but I don't make the little whirly noise!

To make it work that fast is not hard at all, as a program to solve sudoku is relatively simple and when done efficiently the time is very quick, so as long as the robot can write the answer faster then you can think it, it will win :P Now the actual motions of writing the answers is somewhat difficult, it's far from outstanding. Now to actually scan and recognize the numbers on the sheet, that's a difficult task.

But ya, robots are awesome, and lego mindstorm is awesome.

I would pay for that.

Jesus how bored was this guy? This is obviously not what this robot kit was designed for, you could this this in seconds with a scanner and some simple code.

Slow, but DAMN is that a neat application of the technology.

not a zaar:
Jesus how bored was this guy? This is obviously not what this robot kit was designed for, you could this this in seconds with a scanner and some simple code.

Actually this is exactly the kind of stuff lego Mindstorms was designed for.

erm...yeah!

too much time on their hands i feel.

Further proof that Lego is made of concentrated awesome, solidified and cast into bricks. The little car was kinda cute I thought. The way it moved it's pencil head thing was very industrious, gave the impression it was really concentrating :)

just one word: WHY???

The next logical step would be to make a complete sentient being using nothing by lego...
It would be so awesome!

Imagine your little lego friend comming in while you watch TV and bump your feet because itīs batteries are running out.
And then just watch it as it goes to ammuse itself in some way, like using chairlegs as an obstacle course or counting the crumpets on your carpet or solving sudoku XD
I bet japanese fangirls would go KAWAAAAIIIII and buy it for a shitton of money, then be dissappointed because your lego creation misses itīs "master" and just goes emo until itīs batteries run out.

Whatever can be archieved with lego in the future...
I used most of my freetime as a kid to build stuff with lego from age 6 to 15 onwards...then came videogames...and my lego collection hasnīt grown or moved ever since D:

I can do that. But better. And faster.

Earnest Cavalli:

Realizing Sudoku is incredibly boring

I like Sudoku...

I would just like to point out to all the people saying "He has too much time on his hands" that you play computer games in your spare time. You're just as bad, maybe even worse ;)

Crazzee:
That is slow...But so cool. Seems like a waste of time to build, but It's certainly fun to watch.

You have never played with legos have you?

sasquatch99:

For something that awesome, do you need a reason?

Lunar Shadow:

Crazzee:

You have never played with legos have you?

'course I have. But I would make some other awesome stuff. I don't see the point of making a sudoku solving robot, when you could make castles and have them get sieged and whatnot.

sasquatch99:

one of many obvious answers: Great for Resume!!!

People forget just how big of an impression simple shit like this makes on employers when getting into a job working as a programmer/debugger what have you.

Almost makes me proud to be swedish
Now reprogram it into the slowest printer ever

Yet another piece of evidence that proves that Sweden is the leetest country on earth.

Soon our droid army will rise up and solve all the worlds sudoku puzzles then what will you do for 5 hours on a plane WHAT WILL YOU DO THEN AHAHAHA

It's amazing what people can do with a bunch of legos and some programming skill.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here