Metroid Metal Album Drops Next Week

Metroid Metal Album Drops Next Week

Metroid Metal Live is releasing an album next week, full of classic Metroid tunes remixed in a metal style.

Metroid Metal is a collection of Metroid music remixed and performed as if it was played by Metallica. On September 8, Metroid Metal: Varia Suite, an official album containing a selection of rerecorded and redone Metroid Metal songs will be released to the waiting public.

The album is pretty cheap, available for pre-order here for just $8, or for $20 with a shirt and sticker. The band that plays these tunes is called Metroid Metal Live, and they are performing at PAX 2009 in case you happen to be attending. Their album should be available for the first time at the convention, too.

Lucky for us, MM Live has released a preview video proving just how awesome their upcoming album will be, though the ending caught me a little off guard (just wait and see).

Via: TinyCartridge

That actually sounds pretty cool.
The thing that always turns me off metal is the shitty singing, so I can appreciate this.

Well, that's definately different.

Rick rolls?... seriously?

Did someone say Metroid and metal in the same sentence? I'm so there!

Ricky mixed with metal isn't actually half bad.

Fat Man Spoon:

You heard the Teen Spirit version? It's actually really, really good.

As for this, well, I'll give it a shot. I'll never cast something off without giving it a spin first, but Metal doesn't come as naturally to me as others on this site...

Ummm..... what? :S

I've never played a Metroid game, but this sounds pretty decent to be honest.

ChromeAlchemist:

Fat Man Spoon:

Wow. Just... wow.
That was rather good.

Fat Man Spoon:

ChromeAlchemist:

Fat Man Spoon:

Wow. Just... wow.
That was rather good.

I know! But...it shouldn't have been. I feel dirty now.

ChromeAlchemist:

I know! But...it shouldn't have been. I feel dirty now.

I know what you mean.

Metroid Metal Live? I'm pretty sure these are played by Stemage, I've always heard them call themselves that... unless they dumped the old name to just play Metroid Metal. Huh.

Either way, this news makes me happy! I may get this...

Now if only we can get Metal version of Pokemon game music :D

Edit: Ha Ha! Rick-rolled at the end XD

Mind officially blown.

Sounds decent, although I don't really like the fact that there is some guy muttering in the background of the Elevator music. May check it out.

Metroid! Metal! Metroid Metal! It's a match made in heaven! :D I'll be buying this!

Hope this becomes available in Australia. That was seriously epic.

Jbird:
Now if only we can get Metal version of Pokemon game music :D

Edit: Ha Ha! Rick-rolled at the end XD

haha, metal versions of pokemon gotta be so awesome!

the music isnt bad, its just that while Hedgehog heaven (a remix album of sonic 2 music) sounds better.

hah cool, i love metriod. its freakin awesome.

Sounds good, I might buy it.

I'm sorta irked by the surprise at the end though.

Nice, I love Metriod, and I love metal. This is the perfect combination and I'm considering creating a PayPal account to get this.

crazyhaircut94:
Did someone say Metroid and metal in the same sentence? I'm so there!

Hah, too slow. Im already there.

I have heard some pretty damn good Metroid remixes before, but Im still eager to hear more. At least these few samples sound great. Might even buy it.

That song that starts at 2:42 is really good, but I can't remember which game or eviroment it's from.

gdnvs:
That song that starts at 2:42 is really good, but I can't remember which game or environment it's from.

I'm pretty sure that it's the music that plays whenever there are actively hostile enemies. You hear it in the Prime games whenever Space Pirates or Metroids are in the room. It also plays when you fight the Chozo Ghosts.

Personally, I hope that the lava music (Magmoor Caverns) is in there somewhere. It's mostly bass anyways, and would make for a great metal track.

gdnvs:
That song that starts at 2:42 is really good, but I can't remember which game or eviroment it's from.

It's the basic brinstar over world music from the original

Edit: sorry I read 24 not 42.

MaxTheReaper:
That actually sounds pretty cool.
The thing that always turns me off metal is the shitty singing, so I can appreciate this.

There are actually a ton of metal bands that have very melodic vocals over a heavy instrumental section.

The instrumental style of this Metroid Metal stuff would actually fit pretty squarely into a genre a lot of people call "progressive metal" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_metal). There's a lot of diversity in what's considered progressive metal but most of these bands have melodic vocal sections so if the vocals are the only thing that turn you off about metal music then you might want to check some of these bands out:

Adagio (moreso their older stuff, they've changed their style a bit), Blind Guardian, Circus Maximus (Norwegian band, not the 1960s US band), DGM, Dream Theater, Evergrey, Firewind, Mystic Prophecy, Kamelot, Manticora, Serenity, Symphony X.

Most of these bands come from Europe and they don't get much attention over here in the US. I don't really know about their popularity in other regions but it seems like South America and Japan really loves this type of music. Check 'em out!

Edit: forgot to mention this sounds pretty awesome and well worth my $8.00!

Johnny Danger:
snip

Ooh!
Ooh!
I've heard of Kamelot.
It was good stuff.
...Yeah.

Heh, yeah, Kamelot is great but I guess the whole "opera" vocals turns some people off. Dream Theater is probably the most well-known of those bands but they probably aren't as accessible as some of the others I listed.

This actually sounds awesome. I'm a metalhead and a Metroid fan, so I love the combination. I wish the actual soundtrack was more like this.

Remixed isn't the right word. "Arranged" is.
But yeah. This is good news.

I came here to say that MM is more progressive than Metallica, but I was obviously beaten to the punch. Anyone who liked that (and doesn't somehow hate keyboards) should check out Dream Theater and Kamelot; "These Walls" and "The Black Halo," respectively, for example, are fairly accessible starting points. Both bands (and many other prog-metal bands) use guitar(s), keyboard(s), bass, drums, and melodic vocals.

Back on topic, Metroid Metal is awesome and I really should download more for my iPod. It's pretty cool that they're releasing an actual album, though I do hope they don't run into any copyright issues.

Wow. The Metroid theme sent chills up my spine. I will purchase their album, without question.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here