Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Microsoft Adds a Price Tag to Left 4 Dead's DLC

Though Valve apparently wanted to release the upcoming "Crash Course" downloadable add-on for zombie shooter Left 4 Dead free of charge, Microsoft demanded people pay for the content.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Valve's Chet Faliszek said that while his company traditionally tries to release add-on content for free -- "Crash Course" will be released on the PC platform free of charge -- Microsoft was having none of that.

"We own our platform, Steam. Microsoft owns their platform. They wanted to make sure there's an economy of value there," said Faliszek.

"It's not like [Valve is] looking at this as, 'Oh my god, we need some money, we're going to charge,' obviously, or we'd do it on the PC. So it's just kind of the way the system works right now."

The good news is that the add-on content for Left 4 Dead has a relatively small price tag, considering it includes an entirely new chapter of gameplay for the multiplayer title. When it lands on the Xbox Live Marketplace later this month, you'll only have to drop 560 Microsoft points ($7) to purchase it.

those dicks.....

GEERRRRAWWWW

that's it I'm switch to PC completely

BOO!

Thanks Microsoft. You know, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sheesh, greedy bastards!

That's a pretty dick move, I think.
I guess I can slightly understand it, what with costs to keep that file up, which (if free) would be downloaded like crazy.
Still, though. I'm disappointed.

Yep.. that's Microsoft. Them and Activision... and many other things are greed in human form.
Well.. at least this isn't Valve's fault

what the fuck microsoft seriously dude you used to be cool back in the day what happened to you, youve been hanging around with that apple havent you? we warned you about them now your a money sucking bastard too.

Ooh, they certainly jumped on that opportunity.

"Why have Free DLC when you can charge? hur hur"

how weird, a company that wants to make money!?!? ODD!!

Eh, I've got 600 MS points left on my account. Doesn't cost me anything extra.

Still, that's a pretty dick move.

Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.

[EDIT] Ok you know what, forget I said anything. I'm getting tired of you people calling me a dick when it's over something this stupid.

thanks microsoft. You do realise you were the pedantic kid nobody liked at school, right?

HentMas:
how weird, a company that wants to make money!?!? ODD!!

You know, that argument is starting to sound really stupid.

If it is free on PC then it should be free on all platforms. The same goes for everything else, it punishes people for buying games on a certain platform and that is not fair.

If they charged on all platforms then your argument would be valid.

Microsoft just need to get money from everything dont' they?! Hardly any DLC is free unless now Mircosoft have an off day or get it sponsored. (Original Gears of War maps are paid for Discovery Channel, Dash of Destruction is paid for by Doritos)

Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.

And that's one of a few reasons i can still consider PC gaming half-decent. Lolz.

The_Oracle:
Oh noes, Microsoft has decided to do something it has every right to do! Come on, people. I know having to pay for DLC you didn't know was going to have a price at all is annoying, but it costs Microsoft money to make AND distribute the DLC. And that cold hard cash has to be made back somehow. They're running a respectable business and money invested has to be made back. It's the way these things work.

only it didnt cost them anything to make all they have to do is host the file, valve made and ported everything.

I thought this had already been announced a while ago...?

Steam for the WIN.

I wouldn't entirely put Valve in the clear just because they themselves say they are not responsible.

The_Oracle:

You are also missing the point. It's not the fact that DLC costs money, it's that it only costs on the 360, PC gamers get it for free so those who bought it on the 360 are getting punished for their choice of platform (which is harsh considering they are both owned by Microsoft).

If everyone paid then Microsoft would be simply ripping people off, in this case they are screwing over half the customers by letting the other half have something for free.

Also, in this case it is somewhat different. Remember that the L4D2 boycott was based around the idea that Left 4 Dead was promised new content because it was a small game. It's a bit insulting to turn around and say "Don't worry, we are still making more for the game which we made too small, but um... we are going to charge you more for it."

I know it was MS's decision (allegedly, Valve could be just as greedy) but it is still slightly hypocritical and it adds credibility to the Boycotters argument.

The_Oracle:

So then how does Valve manage to make AND distribute it at no cost?

ssgt splatter:
Big deal, we have to pay $7 for new DLC. I'm a rich SOB, I have $250 in my wallet alone so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, Microsoft knows we're going to buy the DLC anyway regardless of the price they put on it so relax; save the price moaning for MW2's price tag.

...No shit? Why else would they charge for something that is free on another system? They know your going to buy it anyway and they are exploiting the fact.

KSarty:

The_Oracle:

Ah the miracles of the digital age; since Valve sells more digital copies instead of hard disks production cost are reduced significantly.

yosophat:

KSarty:

The_Oracle:

Ah the miracles of the digital age; since Valve sells more digital copies instead of hard disks production cost are reduced significantly.

Its DLC, there are no hard disk copies. Valve developed this DLC and is distributing it themselves for PC through Steam for free, so how does allowing Microsoft to distribute it on Live add a $7 price tag?

But, they released the survival pack for free...I guess I don't understand how big business works.

OT, valve are faithful to PCs and probably forever shall be.

Off-topic, to the boycotters: you wanted DLC, go get it, PWNED!

KSarty:

The_Oracle:

Because Valve is a group of video game artists, and Microsoft is just a group of businessmen... Ok, so that statement was only half serious, but I can't help feeling that that isn't at least a little bit of what is going on here.

Now if this was Sony you would all be calling for whoever is in charge to be crucified and impailed.

It's a dick move, free everywhere or payment everywhere.

news just in,Microsoft is gonna make a new attachment for the xbox that makes you pay 50 cents every time you boot your system.

I really hate to break it to you guys, but this is how the world works. You want something? Pay for it. It you're not willing to pay for it then you don't want it that bad.

M$ always tags on prices to DLC they know will be popular. This type of thing is definitely not new.

More reason never to play (ported) games on the Xbox.

Evilbunny:
But, they released the survival pack for free...I guess I don't understand how big business works.

The Survival Pack had some ads to sponsor it though, plus Valve helped convince them. I mean this is a whole new campaign, I'm happy paying a little bit of money to play this, as saddening as it is that PC players get it for free.

The sad thing is that people will still dl it...

Though technically, there's nothing saying they have to make DLC free. It's using their servers and costing them money. I'm not going to buy it, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to give away freebies.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here