Dust: An Elysian Tail Wins Dream-Build-Play 2009

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dust: An Elysian Tail Wins Dream-Build-Play 2009

The winner of Dream-Build-Play 2009 features anthropomorphism and is quite a piece of work.

Microsoft's Dream-Build-Play competition challenges development groups of up to seven people to create an amazing game using XNA Game Studio. This year the competition's top prize was won by Dean Dodrill's Dust: An Elysian Tail, an incredibly vibrant side-scroller featuring an anthropomorphic hero.

Watching Dust: An Elysian Tail's trailer here, I almost get a bit of vertigo with everything going on, but the game's quality cannot be denied. For winning the grand prize, Dean brought home a cool $40,000. Second place and a slightly warmer $20,000 went to Max Blastronaut, third and a hot $10,000 went to Rotor'scope, with fourth place and a totally sweaty $5,000 going to HurricaneX2 Evolution.

All of these titles highlight the creativity and talent out there in the independent community today. Now, if Microsoft could find a way to get more people to buy titles developed with XNA. Higher profile XBLA indie titles like Castle Crashers have no problem selling, so maybe it's an issue of branding or marketing? Whatever the reason, developers behind games like Dust deserve to earn a living on their amazing works.

I remember when this game was shown in the new room some time ago, and even now, it still amazes me. Well it certainly deserved to win, and I really hope I can get to play it soon.

Awesome the game I wanted to win, won. I really do hope to see this released and hopefully see a PC release later on. This game reminds me when video games were video games throwing out all reality where anything and anyone could be a hero.

Wow...Muramasa on the Wii just got matched by ONE DUDE....

I'm probably going to get this. I hope it's not $20 though. And it better have Achievements too.

Woohoo! It won. Its the only game I had known about, but that hardly matters. It won! Yay! Hopefully I'll get to play it soon.

TheTygerfire:
Wow...Muramasa on the Wii just got matched by ONE DUDE....

I'm probably going to get this. I hope it's not $20 though. And it better have Achievements too.

We have to play it first, but the art is definately top-notch. Since it won the game is probably good and I look forward to being able to play it.

Hah! Excellent. I was rooting for this game. Glad it won. Will be waiting for this to pop up to purchase. I'll definitely be investing.

The only thing that *really really* annoys me about this game is the walking animation. I can't stand it to the point where I doubt I'll even play it because of that.

The movement is very Muramasa-esque actually, looks pretty good.

SuperFriendBFG:
The only thing that *really really* annoys me about this game is the walking animation. I can't stand it to the point where I doubt I'll even play it because of that.

In the video, there's an annotation that says that they've redesigned the running animation.

SuperFriendBFG:

Aye, the movement animation is a little off there. However, the annotations in the video state the run animation has been redone, so maybe you will be able to play the game after all!

Personally, I wouldn't let that bother me too much, especially considering how good the game looks.

Woo! I'm glad it won! Looks amazing and I wish I could play it!

But I'm unhappy that it'll probably never get to PSN or PC for that matter >_< darn.

I'm glad that between Sony's Pub Fund and Microsofts competitions like this Indie Devs have a real great way to express themselves. Forget the console 'war' and forget what system what is on, this is awesome.

MarsProbe:

SuperFriendBFG:

Aye, the movement animation is a little off there. However, the annotations in the video state the run animation has been redone, so maybe you will be able to play the game after all!

Personally, I wouldn't let that bother me too much, especially considering how good the game looks.

Aye I turn off my notations on Youtube, so I can't see messages like that.

Damn. This game is very well designed. Something else I want to play but lack the capabilities to do so... *sigh*

Well, this game looks fantastic. I heard about it a month ago on Kotaku, and I thought it was gorgeous then.

Pity I'll -never- be able to play it without going to another country. Australia doesn't get access to the Indie Games portal for some reason. Is it our taxation laws? Our censorship board? Our geographical isolation (it take sooo much more effort to push the game through the wires all the way to us!)? Maybe Microsoft just don't like us... but yeah, can't ever play it. Can't even see it on Live.

So grats to the guy who made it! I forget his name, but he did a great job. Pity I'll never see the fruits of it.

Yeah,yeah,all happened like it was supposed to,yay for the creator,i hope it sells well and gets a PC release later on,etc,etc. Don't really know what else to say.

Can someone tell who is the protagonist? What's his species?

I cant wait to give him money for this game

uh oh...defensive fanboy urges rising...

TheTygerfire:
Wow...Muramasa on the Wii just got matched by ONE DUDE...

well, just from looking at the youtube videos, the backgrounds in Dust don't seem to have nearly the level of detail or layers upon layers of parallax that Muramasa has.

then again, since i don't have an xbox and Ignition still hasn't sent me my copy of Muramasa yet, i can't say for sure. X|

also, Vanillaware only has about 20 employees and they had to localize the game to boot.

So, I'm hoping that that means it's a now a given that we will see it soon on XBLA.

Oh @#$%! I forgot to vote! Dang. I wold have guessed I Made a Game with Zombies would have won.

Good for him ^-^ This game looks awesome for only one guy working on it, and I hope people come to realize how much effort he must've put into it. Of course, that's a faint hope (given the number of 12-year-old dickheads that apparently don't care a bit about "artsy" games), but one that deserves dreaming about >.>

Now if only I had a bit more motivation to blow off ~300 dollars and add another blinking box to my collection... and no, I don't call the Halo or GoW series motivation >.> Try again.

I could even forgive it if they DIDN'T redo the running animation, if you consider that its _one_ guy behind this :o

Game looks excellent. If it really does have multiple locales and awesome boss battles, then it might be good. But from that trailer alone, it looks pretty poor at best. The combos are pretty lame and enemies are pretty lame, the platforming is not interesting, and the animation is pretty sub-par for a console game.

If this was an iphone or PSP or DS game, then I would be singing its praises, but since the consoles require a much higher standard, I feel that what was shown in the trailer barely passes to be weakly interesting. I mean, for an indie game, this really isn't creative (we're talking Flower and Everyday Shooter territory here).

Edit: and for the people that are giving it a break because it's only made by one guy. The way I see it, the creator's lack of partners doesn't make the game any better.

Chaossebba:
I could even forgive it if they DIDN'T redo the running animation, if you consider that its _one_ guy behind this :o

He did redo the running animation, there was a note in the video.

HardRockSamurai:
I remember when this game was shown in the new room some time ago, and even now, it still amazes me. Well it certainly deserved to win, and I really hope I can get to play it soon.

agreed. the game looks like castlevania: SOTN mixed with Devil May Cry.

Jumplion:
Woo! I'm glad it won! Looks amazing and I wish I could play it!

But I'm unhappy that it'll probably never get to PSN or PC for that matter >_< darn.

as far as i know, 1 of the staff members here told that it might come for the PC.

RavingPenguin:

Chaossebba:

I am aware of it, thats why i said even if they DIDN'T.

Chaossebba:

RavingPenguin:

Chaossebba:

I am aware of it, thats why i said even if they DIDN'T.

The phrase "even if they hadnt redone" in place of "if they..." might have been a better way to phrase your sentence, seeing as past the first is in the tense and suggests that something had been done. I wouldnt have been confused.

The art is all nice and such but apart from that the gameplay doesn't seem that interesting.

Also I'm really not a fan of anthropomorphic characters.

But still congrats to guy for winning and anything like this takes a hell of a lot of effort.

It looks amazing but I didn't really see anything "innovative" about it - isn't it just an artsy 2D beat-em-up; kinda like Dishwasher, a game that also won this competition?

D_987:
It looks amazing but I didn't really see anything "innovative" about it - isn't it just an artsy 2D beat-em-up; kinda like Dishwasher, a game that also won this competition?

And there's no problem with that. Not every game needs to be innovative, but at least stand out of the crowd. Aside from Ratchet and Clank, what other game has cutesy anthropomorphic creatures in it?

Fenixius:

Pity I'll -never- be able to play it without going to another country. Australia doesn't get access to the Indie Games portal for some reason.

I'm the same. I just saw this then, and I want this game so bad. There has got to be some way to get access to it...
Siiigh. Stupid country.

Magus44:

Fenixius:

Pity I'll -never- be able to play it without going to another country. Australia doesn't get access to the Indie Games portal for some reason.

I'm the same. I just saw this then, and I want this game so bad. There has got to be some way to get access to it...
Siiigh. Stupid country.

If you ever find a way to unlock the indie library on an Aussie 360, let me know. From what I've heard, downloadable content is region locked (wtf?!), so we can't use it even if we get access to the US or other Xbox Live system. Siiiiiiigh indeed.

Reminds me of Odin Sphere, but a little more slick.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here