Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

"A Eidos gold account is required to play this game"

karmapolizei:

theultimateend:

There is no other kind of DRM that hasn't burdened me.

The game was awesome, I've seen no legit folks having issues, and the game was awesome.

Yeah, that's really surprising with a game that isn't even released yet.
Let me say it again: With every kind of DRM, false-positives are bound to happen - read: A portion of legit copies will be falsely recognized as pirated, and I have no reason to believe Arkham Asylum will differ from that in any way.

On reflection, I think in terms of customer relations, this kind of copy protection does even worse than the regular kind. If an online activation DRM or a regular copy protection mechanism fails to recognize a legit copy, they will tell you the why's and how's, so a customer at least knows what's wrong. But what will a regular customer (who does not follow the gaming press closely) think if they come across this crap? Probably something like this: "This game is broken. Sucks"

Well I'm currently playing it on the PS3, but I'll leave it at that since that first sentence alone was pretty rude sounding. I'm not sure when people required that people be assholes when they respond on the internet.

Three words.

Deep

Fried

Awesome.

Terramax:
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.

Not that I honestly care too much. I played the demo. It sucked. If anyone lacks a moral code, it's Eidos for releasing such an un-enjoyable pile of rubble.

Any system can be hacked - that much is entirely true. The real key in combatting piracy, at least as far as the bottom line is concerned is delying the inevitable. Most games have their DRM cracked in a matter of days after release, and the longer one can hold the hackers at bay the less real damage they may do. Most games seem to sell more than half of the copies they ever will sell in the first few weeks, and in the space of a month or two even a white hot title's sales will slow to a trickle.

If memory serves me, Spryo, Year of the Dragon had a similar system, wherein there were multiple layers of DRM. The first two came out up front (disc check and copy protection) and were, as one would expect, quickly bypassed. The third came in the form of the removal of several items that were critical to progressing through the game, resulting in a similarly broken game after a few hours of gameplay. The brilliance of this move is that one may not immediately recognize the DRM as such and simply think the game is broken for other reasons. Since there are a few enterprising scoundrels who make money of the piracy racket, such people get the joy of dealing with unhappy and potentially unsavory customers. What's more, some of the people who may be using a pirated game may desperately want to continue playing and won't wait for the hackers to produce a patch and therefore end up purchasing the game through legitimate channels. In a single stroke, such a system manages to delay the full cracking of a game, damages a pirate's ability to profit off of a game, damages the good name of the hacker who supposedly cracked the game and diverts some good hearted but misguided people from a life of crime back into the fold.

And as a side note - DRM has been in place in console games for years. It just tends to be far less intruisive than that on PC's thanks to the much higher degree of dificulty involved in getting ones system to play a pirated game in the first place. I'm sure people recall the famous mod chips for the PSOne for example, a piece of hardware that among other things allowed the game to execute code on copied discs.

Now THIS is good DRM. Rocksteady Studios, you are so fucking awesome.

Codemasters used a similar DRM in Operation Flashpoint years ago.

The CD was created with a pattern of 'scratches' that CD copy programs corrected.

The DRM code then reduced your shooting accuracy by about 99%.

Was hooked in at so many random points (and used 'embedded', repeated code not a single method call) that it proved very hard to completely remove.

Brilliant.

i think the devs behind Batman AA all deserve 1 free interwebz.

Brilliant. Is there really any more to add? This is how to get pirates properly, though I doubt it will work for long.

theultimateend:

karmapolizei:

theultimateend:

There is no other kind of DRM that hasn't burdened me.

The game was awesome, I've seen no legit folks having issues, and the game was awesome.

Yeah, that's really surprising with a game that isn't even released yet.
Let me say it again: With every kind of DRM, false-positives are bound to happen - read: A portion of legit copies will be falsely recognized as pirated, and I have no reason to believe Arkham Asylum will differ from that in any way.

On reflection, I think in terms of customer relations, this kind of copy protection does even worse than the regular kind. If an online activation DRM or a regular copy protection mechanism fails to recognize a legit copy, they will tell you the why's and how's, so a customer at least knows what's wrong. But what will a regular customer (who does not follow the gaming press closely) think if they come across this crap? Probably something like this: "This game is broken. Sucks"

Well I'm currently playing it on the PS3, but I'll leave it at that since that first sentence alone was pretty rude sounding. I'm not sure when people required that people be assholes when they respond on the internet.

Well, I'm sorry if that came out rude... but please tell me how I was supposed to know that you referring to the PS3 version, seeing as there's a 99% chance that the measures we're talking about here are only part of the PC version, and the article only mentions the PC version. Come to think of it, wouldn't make a lot of sense on consoles, would it?

Thats beautifully genius

Should have done something like this in Clear Sky, the only reason I never bought that is because of the DRM... Shame, I pre ordered the first one and love it.

Why is everyone saying "omg this is so brilliant" when I've already beaten the game on PC?

I wish to run to RockSteady and high five every single person there. Even the guy in the mailroom.

Just like all other DRM, AA's is bound to fail at least some of the time, and this way just makes it more annoying for the unfortunate people it bugs out on. In fact, instead of being assinine like that, why didn't the admin just ask for the person who posted for their serial code, instead of immediately assuming he was a pirate? Antagonizing people like that just makes people want to illegally download you're game more.

This is the funniest thing I've heard in months.

Instead of this:

They get this:

saikanoto:
Doesn't anyone here remember the Earthbound anti-piracy measures? That game froze and deleted all your save game files in the middle of the final boss battle if it detected itself to be a pirated version. Surely that was the greatest/most evil DRM.

Funny thing about that is that Earthbound wasn't even a good game

Oh, how I love it when the thieving bastards of the world get what's coming to them. Now if only someone could do that for the majority of the world's politicians.

any attempt to use magic will always result in summoning a rampaging horde of Chocobos to crush the party

Wat

I might be more impressed if I wasn't sure this took about an hour to get around. Which the pirate probably did while eating and watching TV.

And all SE has done is created an Iron Man mode for the new FF. Yeah I'll take you on, without magic bitch.

KarumaK:
I might be more impressed if I wasn't sure this took about an hour to get around. Which the pirate probably did while eating and watching TV.

And all SE has done is created an Iron Man mode for the new FF. Yeah I'll take you on, without magic bitch.

An hour? Child, I did it in ten minutes. This is, to me, not a deterrent. It's a CHALLENGE. Once they revealed this I HAD to get the game working against their will.

Such chumps.

Disclaimer: I'm not promoting anyone to commit the cool, and harmless crime of piracy.

honestly best idea for drm i have ever heard.

What everyone should observe here is the game sold amazingly well. That's what happens with good games; people tend to buy them. If they are steaming piles of shit, then they won't, which is why certain games don't sell. Not because of pirating, almost the first thing to be blamed when sales numbers are terrible.

There is a certain group of people who pirate. They always have, and most likely, always will. I'm not sure if game companies actually believe they will make those people buy a legitimate copy, because it's not gonna happen.

I love you Eidos.

They should have made a virus destroy your CPU/Console.

WAit for it wait for it...

The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free.

It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.

GOTCHA BITCH!

I knew it would happen, I can still remember my comment on Shamus' article about creative DRM and i said that some idiot pirate is gone try to report it asa a bug, or something similiar to that. I love it when stuff i say will happen happens. Like that tornado that went through Atlanta awhile back, i said "I wonder what it's like when a tornado goes through a big city. HAHA.

This is utterly hilarious. Also, it's much more practical than restricting installs.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Arkham Asylum any more, it pulls this. Amazing.

Now I want to illegally download games just to see what kind of hilarious bugs will be present.

Chibz:

KarumaK:

An hour? Child, I did it in ten minutes. This is, to me, not a deterrent. It's a CHALLENGE. Once they revealed this I HAD to get the game working against their will.

Such chumps.

Disclaimer: I'm not promoting anyone to commit the cool, and harmless crime of piracy.

Well I didn't want to totally destroy the developer's confidence. After all if I do I'll never get my Nightwing game.

This put a smile on my face. (No pun intended) Now that's how you do DRM. I hope the thing about FFXIII is true too.

Funny enough, this made me want to pirate the game just to see this happen.

Rocksteady Studios has become one of my favorite developers. First the great game and collector's edition, then the free DLC, and now I read this. Awesome.

KarumaK:

Chibz:

KarumaK:

Such chumps.

Well I didn't want to totally destroy the developer's confidence. After all if I do I'll never get my Nightwing game.

I want to destroy their confidence. The game was horrible! If I could, I'd demand my precious bandwidth back, as compensation for the game's utter lack of quality.

It would be immoral to charge full price for that game.

Either they were lazy and wanted to produce another mediocre-at-best game (Because those sell as well as amazing games), or they completely lack any talent in the game design field.

My bet is a combination of the two: Lazy and incompetent.

Chibz:

KarumaK:

Chibz:

KarumaK:

Such chumps.

I want to destroy their confidence. The game was horrible! If I could, I'd demand my precious bandwidth back, as compensation for the game's utter lack of quality.

Irrelevant, opinions are subjective and easily overridden. I don't give two shit's who like it, I don't give two shit's if it's mediocre. I WANT NIGHTWING!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here