Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Too bad that they can just write a fix for this and put it on the torrents. At least it will inconvenience pirates when they discover it in the game.

HAH! That's great. We did something similar in some of the downloadable Neverwinter Nights content. Plot items would destroy themselves, or invisible, invincible people would attack you. I love that method of DRM.

CantFaketheFunk:

erikvduyn:
Fuck it if I get in trouble for mentioning warez, but there is a fix out for it, partially rendering this useless.

Mentioning, no. Promoting, yes.

I was just about to say that someone would have uploaded a fix. Fortunately for me, I do not have a bug in my moral code, I'm purchasing it soon, along with Red Faction: Guerilla. DRM is fantastic, and Final Fantasy XIII's made me laugh so much. Chocobowned.

Littaly:
You know what would rock? If instead of gimping Batman they replaced him with Rick Astley for the pirated version.

BRILLIANT!!!

Actually...that makes me WANT to pirate FFXIII just to see that happen.

Or if you download a pirated version it comes with Spyware that steals your social security number and address. Social security so that Rocksteady gets rich, and address so that they can get a monkey to your house and fling poo in your face.

Man what an awesome idea. I just hope they don't get the same ideas for movies and music.

hahaha!! suck it.

First off:
"...pirates have their genitals attacked by ill-tempered ferrets, and the ferrets are on fire."
That was brilliant.

And secondly, I think this is a great way to get back at pirates who think nothing will happen if the download something illegally.

Tee hee hee hee hee. Wonderful.

scotth266:

ChromeAlchemist:

scotth266:
I have to say that this is quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard of. Good work on the part of Rocksteady.

Next step: "leaking" a "cracked" version of a game on the net, which turns out to be a demo that shuts down 20 minutes in to say: "Insert Credit To Continue" or "You are NOT morally superior."

"Insert Credit to Continue" Would be perfect.

No! "The police are on their way". Oh my god, if I could record their reaction...

Not to mention the few people drunk enough to wonder: "Where do I stick in the quarter?"

Now that's just great. I'd love to see that in action.

Nevyrmoore:
Unfortunately, those of us in Europe never had the chance to see it, as the Mother series has NEVER been released here. But it sounds awesome...and gets me worried about my Earthbound ROM image.

ChromeAlchemist:
Savage. I guess that means I'll never be able to play it then.

It only occurs when it's a cartridge copy; ROM images will function like it's the genuine version.

Brilliant, it won't stop the Pirates from patching it soon but it's still brilliant.

sunami88:

Oh, and on a side note, who pirates a game then submits a bug report for it? Do alot of people who pirate games feel that the dev team should stop everything and fix their bug? Or do they feel they're contributing? The guy who posted the bug report confuses me.

I know, especially considering that game isn't supposed to be out for PC yet.

LTK_70:
Who cares if the hackers can fix it in a minute, this is the kind of pirate protection that earns developers respect. From me, at least.

Agreed. Any kind of DRM that doesn't affect honest customers is worth points in my book.

saikanoto:
It only occurs when it's a cartridge copy; ROM images will function like it's the genuine version.

That confirms it then. Though I have found out that for emulators that incorporate a game genie cheat system, you can put it back into the game.

This is the kind 0f protection that promotes piracy.

I didn't want to get the game, now i want to see how well they programmed the bug in.

Hell now i want to pirate final fantasy just to see the chocobos

and i hate final fantasy.

It's like the type of "prank" That instead of pissing people off, back fires, and people just start asking to be pranked to experience it.

Instead every pirated game should rick roll you. that would end piracy. That would end piracy so hard.

Very good, the best part is this creative DRM will probably be enough to convince many not to bother trying downloading it and just buy it legit.

See, although it is just a matter of time before a pro-crack is made of the game but people will still never be 100% sure if this is a "true" crack or the "gimped" version so I suspect many would not want to waste their time downloading a version illegally, playing through it only to discover that it is unbeatable.

It is certainly an ingenious way to convince people to buy the legit version.

I havn't laughed this hard in a long time.

And to top it off, the Mod's sig is "Eidos Loves You"

Just a brilliant little form of irony.

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:
Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

ChromeAlchemist:
Why can't more devs do this?

I'm gonna be honest...when I saw the words "gimpy batman"...I assumed the worst and thought this was gonna be another "hot coffee" fiasco...except, you know...involving masochism...

HAHAHA I pictured the gimp scene in Pulp Fiction with Batman chained to the wall after reading that. Awesome avatar by the way, I just finished up watching GTO.

That is pretty cool. But as creative DRM goes, nothing will beat Earthbound, which let you play to the end of the game before corrupting your save file before the final boss and rendering it unbeatable.

While I quite like Eidos's (and especially SE's) sense of humour in these proceedings, how does this actually work though? Is it going to similarly punish any players who refuse to jump through all those on-line activation hoops? And, as others have stated, it's only a temporary setback to the unstoppable force of warez. I hope added value for genuine consumers, rather than pranking pirates wins out as the industry's method of prevention.

Regardless, I now eagerly await the chocobo attack video on youtube.

paketep:
That's a fantastic response from Eidos, but DRM is still DRM, and creative or not, it'll be bypassed by pirates. At least it looks like this won't affect customers. This still will pack ShittyROM, though, so no buy from me.

It's being released on Steam as well, if that makes a difference with the DRM issue to you. I know I refused to touch Mass Effect PC until it was released on Steam.

Does anybody remember XIII? I'm sure you will. XIII had a similar copy protection. Halfway through the game there was a level in which you had to eliminate all enemies - and the last one dropped that precious keycard that would allow you to advance to the next level.

But once you had killed the last enemy the keycard would not drop but a message would be shown to you telling you that the developers think that you really like the game because you've played that far and you'd now have to buy the game.

A really creative solution in XIII. But it really didn't help much, it took the "scene" 2 days of fixing up a new crack - too bad that's what will probably happen to Batman:AA too.
It's an amazing game and well worth its money. Though I wouldn't pay 70€ for it. Got it for 45€ as a UK import :) *wheee*

What the!? Why do pirates get the awesome chocobo summoning spell? I want that!

If DRM is a necessary evil, might as well make it hilarious.

Kudos to Rocksteady.

Spucktier:
But it really didn't help much, it took the "scene" 2 days of fixing up a new crack - too bad that's what will probably happen to Batman:AA too.

Indeed. A crack was released even before the game was released to fix this little concept.

Ha! That'll show them! Why aren't more developers doing this?

Sexual Harassment Panda:
Buy the game or Batman falls to his death, it's like the villians of Gotham are on the marketing team.

"I say, as an impartial, unbiased personage, what if he can't glide if someone pirates the game? HAHAHAHA it would be put some smiles on people's faces......and teach him a lesson."
"That's a great idea, mr .....?"
"Jo Ker. I hope it's implemented quickly. HARLEY, GET ON PIRATE NATION NOW!!!"

Wait, why would he submit a bug report for a game that isn't even out yet? Arkham Asylum doesn't come out for PC until next week!

matrix3509:
To repeat what terramax said above, it should take pirates all of about a day to release a fix for it through the torrents.

Sure, but traditional DRM is also going to get cracked. It's just anti-consumer. But at least this DRM was creative and unintrusive to the legitimate customer.

...okay, people do get that the FF13 thing was a joke, right?

saikanoto:
Doesn't anyone here remember the Earthbound anti-piracy measures? That game froze and deleted all your save game files in the middle of the final boss battle if it detected itself to be a pirated version. Surely that was the greatest/most evil DRM.

LadyZephyr:
That is pretty cool. But as creative DRM goes, nothing will beat Earthbound, which let you play to the end of the game before corrupting your save file before the final boss and rendering it unbeatable.

This seems fairly dumb, as the pirate has already played through the whole game. If they really want to see the ending, they can just YouTube it. Or maybe I don't get it.

crazyhaircut94:
Ha! That'll show them! Why aren't more developers doing this?

Why bother to spend a few hours to code something like that, when it was fixed in 2 hours?

RareDevil:
This is the kind 0f protection that promotes piracy.
Instead every pirated game should rick roll you. that would end piracy. That would end piracy so hard.

How would that stop piracy? It's not like every pirate is a mouth breather like the one who posted on the forum about the bug. They wouldn't release a pirated copy that didn't work, without fixing it.
And rick rolling is old and stupid now.

CantFaketheFunk:
...okay, people do get that the FF13 thing was a joke, right?

Damn thee Funk, you had to ruin it for us all!

i like how he asked for asistance when he'd stolen a game. thats like stealing a TV, throwing a brick at it and then trying to take it back to the store claiming it was faulty.
made my day :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or