Aion's Absurd Custom Keyboard

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Aion's Absurd Custom Keyboard

Looking forward to NCSoft's Aion when it hits at the end of the month? Check out this ridiculous custom keyboard designed specifically for the winged MMORPG.

Now, there are custom models - a new paint job here, a logo there - and then there are custom models. The newly unveiled SteelSeries Aion Keyboard is definitely the latter.

This thing is hardcore: Though the left part of the keyboard seems mostly untouched, the right portion has been thoroughly Aion-ized. In the place of the good ol' numpad (sorry, no efficient number-crunching for you!) lies a selection of Aion-specific keys, and a glance at the hi-res image reveals such goodies as "Spread Wings," "Add Friend," "Block Player," "Alert," "Alliance," and "Group Invite." There are also specific keys that can be assigned to emotes, so if you're the type who really wished there was a "/spit" button in WoW or a "/teabag" button in Halo, this keyboard might be right up your alley.

Presumably these keys are also rebindable for other games as well. Otherwise, you better be really, really sure that you're going to love Aion lest you get stuck with a 69-button paperweight.

Aion hits on September 22nd.

(Via VG247)

Pretty much the same as the WoW-keyboards really.

Look familiar? I hate to say it....but everyone copies WoW. *Joke*

http://shop.steelseries.com/us/index.php/marketplace-us.html

They have many keyboard layouts for all kinds of games and they just snap onto a special base.

They are actually pretty decent keyboards.

Not a spectacular keyboard series but not bad. One note of caution do not by the knock of brands of these keyboards.

WrongSprite:

Yea i was going to say that too. Eh, i never understood the point of custom keyboards, oh well.

Wow. Pointless.

I would understand if it gave you 2 additional rows for quick access when you have 2 or 3 full skillbars... But geez. Most of these things can be replaced by just memorizing that Page Up is flying and Page Down is landing ;d Even then you can simply rebind the keys.

Thats.. cool?

Since I've never played an MMO I don't see what the point of all the extra stuff really is. I should look it up.

To the Google mobile!!

there's a ton of these out right now, doubt i'd ever use one tho

I hear Z-Boards are loud as hell.

I'll take my G15 any day, tyvm.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Loud? My Z-Board isn't that loud.

They have custom keyboards now? Really? Eesh.

Keyboard with a specialized "teabag" button sounds much more intresting.

if i was a keyboard, i would.

CantFaketheFunk:
Looking forward to NCSoft's Aion when it hits at the end of the month? Check out this ridiculous custom keyboard designed specifically for the winged MMORPG.

Congrats. You successfully misreported an old, mundane gaming keyboard + $19 faceplate as some kind of single-purpose rarity.

Is there a badge for that? :p

Wow. Looks, cool, but pointless. I'll stick with a G15, still.

Meh. Never been a fan of ZBoards. My Belkin N52's are the only way I can game.

imageimage

Behold! The Right and Left Hands of Khell...
Trackman Wheel and N52 for the FPS games, MX Revolution and N52TE for the RTS games, and everything else a combination of one Logitech and one Belkin.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Ironically, the best (as in, most reliable, best-built, longest-lasting, most satisfying to type on) keyboards in the world are the loudest. A significant number of IBM Model M keyboards from the late 1980s still survive today, as their keys are rated for a million keystrokes each. The reliability comes courtesy of heavy construction (including a big metal backplate) and the buckling-spring key construction, which leads to a loud click and a noticeable tactile pop reminiscent of an old Selectric typewriter.

More modern keyboards derived from or inspired by the Model M use similar technologies, either using the buckling-spring construction or the similar Alps mechanical switch.

http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/merc_stealth/information

^^ love this keyboard. The gaming keys are on the left. I never understood why people put the gaming keys on the right. I just don't get it.

RAKtheUndead:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Ironically, the best (as in, most reliable, best-built, longest-lasting, most satisfying to type on) keyboards in the world are the loudest. A significant number of IBM Model M keyboards from the late 1980s still survive today, as their keys are rated for a million keystrokes each. The reliability comes courtesy of heavy construction (including a big metal backplate) and the buckling-spring key construction, which leads to a loud click and a noticeable tactile pop reminiscent of an old Selectric typewriter.

More modern keyboards derived from or inspired by the Model M use similar technologies, either using the buckling-spring construction or the similar Alps mechanical switch.

OOOOH Clickyboards. What I wouldn't give for them to return to the old classic clicking keys but on a USB model with some half-decent media keys. Nothing beats typing code or messages on a clickyboard. Slimline "laptop" style ain't bad either, but it's not the same.

BlueInkAlchemist:

I second that notion. G15 rules all.

Wow what kind of person has one of these...is it really so hard to use a mouse that you need to hotkey a in game button straight to your keyboard. Although it would be fun to see someone switching out keyboards for each individual game they play.

It's not a keyboard at all. It's a Z-Board Keyset, which as many of you guys have already pointed out, is pretty much just a redesign of the WoW Keyset. For anyone unfimiliar with Z-Boards, they come with the ability to 'change' the key layout, by purchasing the 'keysets', which you just unclip and then clip the new one on. Pretty funky, and I like the artwork, however I fail to see how this was anywhere near news worthy.

Oh look. Another z-board layout. I feel almost, not suprised.

I was hoping for 'CUSTOM!' sorta like the steam punk keyboard they showed off a little while back.

Havnt we moved on from this foolishness yet?

hmmmmm... can we change the channel on this thingy, whats the button with the circle and a line through it? Is that Phi?

OK, here's my issue. The articles and comics on this site pray, and whine, and carry on about quality and just plain integrity.

I think this is something that merrits a banner with flashy lights, it would get the message across to the market its shooting for far more accurately. This 'FOR SALE' article is just silly when it comes to the quality of work that is put out for the Escapists readers.

Write something fun about it. there's enough banner space out there somewhere to sell the board on launch day. Custom is custom. This gimmick has been selling the z-board for years, they pretty well sell themselves. Heck, oogle the artwork or something, give us the readers insite to its nuances, the beauty of its practicality. Anything but 'Buy Me, I'm Single'.

ok im done.

thanks.

P.S. Give us a full page of oogles?

Khell_Sennet:
Meh. Never been a fan of ZBoards. My Belkin N52's are the only way I can game.

imageimage

Trackman Wheel and N52 for the FPS games, MX Revolution and N52TE for the RTS games, and everything else a combination of one Logitech and one Belkin.

While I'm usually not a big fan of these types of controllers ("my keyboard + regular mouse will do just fine") these actually look pretty good. For an intense game like Quake I would prefer more keys on top of the N52 than on the left though.

On-topic: Yes, this is much, much more absurd than their WoW mouse.

auronvi:
http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/merc_stealth/information

^^ love this keyboard. The gaming keys are on the left. I never understood why people put the gaming keys on the right. I just don't get it.

There are people who use the mouse with their left hand. This sort of keyboard would be entirely useless for them.

I would kill for a right-handed version of one of those Belkin N52's. Or just about any similar device allowing for right-handed use.

ae86gamer:
Thats.. cool?

Since I've never played an MMO I don't see what the point of all the extra stuff really is. I should look it up.

To the Google mobile!!

(Can I call shotgun?)

If I bought one of these I would feel like on of those people...you know the ones I'm talking about.

Woem:
While I'm usually not a big fan of these types of controllers ("my keyboard + regular mouse will do just fine") these actually look pretty good. For an intense game like Quake I would prefer more keys on top of the N52 than on the left though.

On-topic: Yes, this is much, much more absurd than their WoW mouse.

Trust me, investing in a Nostromo N52 is something you never regret. Biggest problem I find with keyboards is that the keys are offset, not in perfect rows. This makes it painful for me to use the WASD controls because the W is halfway between the A and S keys, not directly atop the S like it belongs, and the middle finger has to bend backwards to hit it. Nostromo keys are in perfect rows, five per on the first two rows and four on the third row. This means you can play with WASD in the center of the pad like it comes pre-programmed, or if you play like I do, you shift it one row to the right.

My typical Battlefield or FPS setup
imageUsing only 1/4 the functionality of the N52 (no using the Red/Green/Blue shift modes) I can play BF1942 thru 2142, only needing to hit the keyboard for weapon/vehicle slots higher than 4 (and weapons can still use the mouse), and for manipulating the map functions.

Not shown on the picture, the orange thumb button works the ComoRoso (BF2/2142), and thumb button 15 returns the camera view to normal (or inside vehicle). The 8-Directional thumbpad is set to the arrow keys for the extra flight/vehicle axis controls.

Changing to more typical, less vehicular FPS games than BF, the mousewheel is usually set to cycle grenade types, with the orange button throwing them, Key 14 resets to crouch, 11 to sprint/run, 02 (prone) to medkit, 15 (lower thumb, not shown) to melee attack, 01 (chute) to flashlight, and 12/13 get disabled. Enter vehicle becomes Use Object, the D-Pad typically becomes inventory items or weapon select, or a second set of crouch/medkit/light keys, and Bob's your uncle.

Some words of caution. The Nostromo N52 is superior to the Belkin N52TE. The TE (the one from my post above, blue glow black frame) has nicer keys but the programming software is vastly inferior (Razor or not, the software bites) and there isn't really 52-command functionality because there is no "No-Lighted" mode. The N52 has No-Light, Red, Green, and Blue. That means every key except the shift keys (shift between color) can have four commands mapped to it. The N52TE is always in one color or another, meaning only three commands per key. As well, the knob they placed on the DPad is more annoyance than benefit, and not removable (without breaking it permanently), and the TE costs 50% more for all its flaws.

I'm not saying don't get a TE, the N52TE is still better than the Saitek Commander, or any other command pad out there, but given a choice between the N52 and TE, my money rides with the classic N52.

Tygerml:
I would kill for a right-handed version of one of those Belkin N52's. Or just about any similar device allowing for right-handed use.

My gods would I ever love a matched pair of right-hand and left-hand N52's. For older or non-mouse games, it would be freakin sweet.

Khell_Sennet:

Oh, those things on the left are neat. What are they called, exactly?

EDIT: Saw the mouse on the far right: thought about getting it, cause it fits my hand, but I didn't have the money with me at the time.

scotth266:

Khell_Sennet:

EDIT: Saw the mouse on the far right: thought about getting it, cause it fits my hand, but I didn't have the money with me at the time.

The names are right in what you quoted. The Belkin N52 (silver) and N52TE (Blue, stands for Tournament Edition).

Khell_Sennet:

scotth266:

Khell_Sennet:

The names are right in what you quoted. The Belkin N52 (silver) and N52TE (Blue, stands for Tournament Edition).

I meant as in, what's the general terminology for them? Like how mice are called mice.

WrongSprite:

Every body copies everybody, but its a good thing. Its called improving (or deproving as seems teh case of newer shooters)

scotth266:

Khell_Sennet:

scotth266:

Khell_Sennet:

I meant as in, what's the general terminology for them? Like how mice are called mice.

Speedpad or Gamepad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or