EA Tempts Media to Sin With Dante's Inferno Promotion

EA Tempts Media to Sin With Dante's Inferno Promotion

Would you sell your soul for a couple hundred dollars? EA is asking the media the same question.

Dante's Inferno for the PlayStation 3, PSP, and Xbox 360, currently scheduled for release in February 2010, will take gamers into the nine circles of hell as they aim to rescue their beloved Beatrice. EA is giving some media outlets a chance to experience the fourth circle right now by tempting them to cash $200 checks.

GamePro "previews/community master Andy Burt" received a package recently from EA containing the check, which was verified as real, along with details about the fourth circle of hell. Simply receiving the check creates a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation, as greed in Dante's Inferno is apparently a "two-headed beast." The details warn: "He who clutches golden coins with a clenched fist closes his heart to divine grace," meaning those who cash the check are guilty of avarice, feeding one of the beast's heads. However, they also warn: "He who squanders wealth allows the first fruits owed to heaven to rot on the vine," meaning that not cashing the check leads to prodigality, feeding the beast's other head.

This might be the coolest promotion I have ever seen, much better than that other one (though I kind of enjoyed that too). The Dante's Inferno marketing team has some creative heads within it, that's for sure. Follow the source link to see pictures of the creative package the check was sent in. The correct choice is rather obvious to me: cash the check, forget where it came from, and spend it on steak, lobster, and videogames.

Source: GamePro

Solution: Don't cash the check, Deposit it in savings. you both took the money for yourself, and refused to use it.

GamerLuck:
Solution: Don't cash the check, Deposit it in savings. you both took the money for yourself, and refused to use it.

It still wouldn't quite work that way. You'd still technically have the money, and hence be guilty of avarice. The better thing to do would be to cash it and donate the money to charity. You're technically not keeping the money, but you're not squandering it either.

...or you could remember that the Divine Comedy was written centuries ago by some guy with a very creative take oh hell.

What if you cash it, but give it to charity?

God, these guys are just CRAZY.

I mean, first they have that whole booth babe bad wording fiasco, and now they're toying with the gaming media for kicks? I gotta say, they're good at making themselves infamous (which I suppose is the point.)

Also, I predict that SOMEONE will be all over this thing as if it's the latest GTA game.

This is cool but I liked the Bioshock 2 better.

Simple, tithe 10% to a church (biblically the proper amount) and keep the rest for yourself. Problem solved with $180 profit!

As long as you yourself aren't a very firm believer in Hell/Christianity, I'd see it as a free heap of money. Ka-CHING! I mean, this whole avarice against prodigality thing, and feeding either head becomes very meaningless once you don't believe in the beast/heads at all :P

If it was me I'd use the money for myself, and just write/blog about it so the games marketing would be happy as well as me. This is actually a cheap PR event. Usually journalists around the world are flown in to participate in WW 2 reenactments etc costing thousands of bucks per person in airfare, hotels, free booze etc.

Heart of Darkness:

GamerLuck:

It still wouldn't quite work that way. You'd still technically have the money, and hence be guilty of avarice. The better thing to do would be to cash it and donate the money to charity. You're technically not keeping the money, but you're not squandering it either.

...or you could remember that the Divine Comedy was written centuries ago by some guy with a very creative take oh hell.

Way i saw it as working was that your feeding both heads of Avarice at the same time, so they either bump heads and knock each other out, or fight over which one gets you, so you can run off scot free..... not the most mythologically or rationally sound argument, but it works for me.

Personally, I am gonna take the money... lot of good games coming out in the next few months.

Apparently they donated the check, and a bit of their own money, to charity. But all that aside have you seen what that check looks like? Hot damn I want to know where I can get a checkbook that looks like THAT!

Kenjitsuka:
As long as you yourself aren't a very firm believer in Hell/Christianity, I'd see it as a free heap of money. Ka-CHING! I mean, this whole avarice against prodigality thing, and feeding either head becomes very meaningless once you don't believe in the beast/heads at all :P

If it was me I'd use the money for myself, and just write/blog about it so the games marketing would be happy as well as me. This is actually a cheap PR event. Usually journalists around the world are flown in to participate in WW 2 reenactments etc costing thousands of bucks per person in airfare, hotels, free booze etc.

Dante's inferno is a very romanticized reimagining of hell. I don't think accepting a gift of $100 qualifies as avarice.

the guys at kotaku got the same thing and they burned the cheque

Cash it, and reject the shaky concept of spirituality.

Then laugh at EA for their ridiculous attempt at guerrilla marketing.

I hope that they cashed the check, gave twenty bucks to a bum, and then kept the rest. Problem solved!

How many checks did EA send out?

EA just trying to build hype for what appears to be another God Of War knockoff

Soooo... EA just bribed the game press, and then claimed they weren't doing it by saying that "they can choose NOT to take the money at any time." That's what I got out of this.

GamerLuck:

Better solution: cash the cheque and spend the money on beer and cocaine.

harhol:

GamerLuck:

Better solution: cash the cheque and spend the money on beer and cocaine.

Even Better Solution: Tell us where we can order some of those badass checks with the skeletons on them. Seriously I would love to pay my bills with those. Hell If I had checks like that I would actually look foward to it.

Dear lord, what's with EA suddenly being really awesome?

This is a rather stealthy bribe isn't it? Do you think the guys at gamespot got a check with more zeros on the end of it so they could give them a better review?

I don't know about anyone else, but if not for my limited funds and AC2's impending arrival, I'd buy this. EA might not have taste in anti-piracy, but they have a knack for great publicity.

FinalGamer:
Dear lord, what's with EA suddenly being really awesome?

With this and rescuing Brutal Legend, they really look as if things are changing.

Activision still seem to be the villains, though, which is nice. Not sure if I could take that much of a shock.

Wish they sent a check to me, i know which head id feed hehe. Though i've read in official texts that Dante Alighieri stole the idea of 9 circles of hell from moslem people back in the thirteenth century, also there was no mention of the 9 circles in the 1000 years christianity was "legal" before Dante so i don't find that game offending, since its based on fiction, and i wouldn't mind cashing the check. Hey im not greedy, they send that as a gift! - Plus EA has tons of cash :-)

I wonder how much money EA really spent on this? I bet more then a few guys never cashed the check. It'd be interesting to find out.

What does Dante have to say on bribery? I really hope this won't affect reviews.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable cashing a check from EA. I get the nagging feeling that after a few months, if I cashed it, they'd send two large men to my house to explain exactly why not paying the money back to EA drastically increases my chances of tragic, unforseeable injuries.

Yeah, I'm not buying the "new EA" thing. I just think Activision has raised the bar for evil. Also, the journalists who got checks better not be reviewing the game...

ace_of_something:
This is a rather stealthy bribe isn't it? Do you think the guys at gamespot got a check with more zeros on the end of it so they could give them a better review?

Yeah i'm not sure that 200$ is a big enough bribe to influence reviews, unless you're some piss-poor excuse for a website/magazine/reviewer, 200$ won't do much for your bottomline.

It's a marketing ploy, nothing more, if they sent those to say 100 reviewers, that's 20,000$, that's pocket change for EA(especially for something so publicized as their Dante's inferno campaign)

It's cool to see such creativity in advertisment, first the Yahtzee box and now this. I really like these guys because they're not just doing the same stale advertisment campaigns as everyone else. Go them!

I'd cash that check in an instant as I don't believe in hell and it was technically a gift, I guess.

DrunkWithPower:
This is cool but I liked the Bioshock 2 better.

Seconded, this was cool but the Bioshock 2 ad campaign is just genius. The website 'Something in the Sea' website along with those Arcadia Merlot bottles that washed up on shore made for one hell of a way to advertise.

that's a good ploy but as i'm heading to one of the rings anyway i would cash the cheque.

Jonny49:
What if you cash it, but give it to charity?

Actually, that's probably the correct answer

Well done "Jonny"

So, if the game gets good reviews we'll know why....

OT: That's actually a very good idea - as others have said I assume giving the money to charity would be the best option.

Mekado:

ace_of_something:

Yeah i'm not sure that 200$ is a big enough bribe to influence reviews, unless you're some piss-poor excuse for a website/magazine/reviewer, 200$ won't do much for your bottomline.

It's a marketing ploy, nothing more, if they sent those to say 100 reviewers, that's 20,000$, that's pocket change for EA(especially for something so publicized as their Dante's inferno campaign)

Yeah, it was a joke brah.

GamerLuck:

refusing to use it and taking it is like "Clutching it in a clenched fist". you are not doing anything with it, you have picked the first option. no solution there buddy

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here