Courtney Love Enraged At Guitar Hero 5's Cobain Cameo

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Courtney Love Enraged At Guitar Hero 5's Cobain Cameo

In a display of grunge ideals long presumed smothered to death by silicon and Prada handbags, Courtney Love has taken to her Twitter account to threaten revenge on Activision for the company's use of her deceased husband in Guitar Hero 5.

"For the record this Guitar Hero shit is breach of contract on a Bullys part and there will be a proper addressing of this and retraction," Love wrote in a moment of rage-induced lucidity.

"WE are going to sue the shit out of ACtivision we being the Trust the Estate the LLC the various LLCs Cobain Enterprises," the former Hole frontwoman added later.

Since then, she has spent hours responding to fans on the issue in her typical endearingly scatter-shot stream-of-consciousness text blocks.

Growing up in the Northwest during the late 80s and early 90s, I've got that kind of special affection for the nihilistic, cynical ideals for which Kurt Cobain was -- and is possibly even moreso in death -- emblematic. Seeing Activision stuff his likeness into GH5 just to sell more fake plastic guitars simply reeks of the kind of stereotypical evil that the company is regularly accused of.

Up until reading this I'd assumed Love had signed off on the use of Cobain's likeness in the game. After all, the woman has acquired a taste for Dolce Gabbana and you can't exactly swing down to the nearest Red Light and pick up a vintage DG gown for $30. Indeed, the use of "breach of contract" implies that there was some sort of contract between the Cobain estate (i.e., Love) and Activision.

Reading her Twitter rant however, makes me feel a bit better. There's just something so appropriately disgusting about the idea of Activision metaphorically robbing graves in pursuit of the almighty dollar, and Love's words inspire a sort of nostalgic hope for twentysomethings living within my region of the I-5 corridor that maybe the ideals we grew up with didn't die with the premier of The Real World: Miami.

(Via Perez Hilton)

Let's be fair though: They did a really good job on him. I mean, really. That looks just like the guy.

Yoko Ono released John Lennon for Beatles Rock Band... and she has a deathgrip on his name and image.

Question is, does breach of contract mean they were going to use a Nirvana track but not allowed to use old Curt, or that they simply didn't pay anyone to put his face in the game.

At the risk of being ignorant, doesn't Dave Grohl hold the keys to Nirvana's copyright these days?

Isin't that just a little bit hypocritical? From what i heard she was the one that made the deal in the first place...

fix-the-spade:

At the risk of being ignorant, doesn't Dave Grohl hold the keys to Nirvana's copyright these days?

Courtney got all rights to all Nirvanas material after Kurt died. Sadly.

She just trying to be relevant, Forget it Courtney, no one cares about you. Your were a horrible singer of a terrible band.

Apparently she didn't get enough money from killing her husband. Now she has to sue somebody to get even more.

I knew....somehow...that Courtney woudl've made a big fuss out of it.

DrunkWithPower:
Yoko Ono released John Lennon for Beatles Rock Band... and she has a deathgrip on his name and image.

precisely indeed and < look at this here post of drunkwithpower

tehroc:
She just trying to be relevant, Forget it Courtney, no one cares about you. Your were a horrible singer of a terrible band.

I love Love.

I...can't think of anything to comment on about this. So, I think I'll just sit on the side-lines and see what happens.

I dunno, if there was a contract it might have been for the songs and maybe she didn't realise if there was a clause in there that allowed for them to use Kurt's likeness...

Fuck Activision. Courtney Love may be slightly off her rocker but at least she has some sort of integrity and passion.

Silly bitch, if she had a problem with it in the first place why didnt she speak up way back when? Anyway I think Kurt looks alright in the picture, all nice and grungy. Fans of Kurt will love the inclusion and people who arent fans will simply go 'Oh he's in this game..ok then'. She has no reason to bitch and complain unless she wants money.

Remind me again why I should care about the opinion of a semi-illiterate drama queen?

Yes, she was... well, not married, but whatever... to the man, but that doesn't mean she owns the corpse and the air he breathed. And somehow I doubt that Activision just crammed Cobain's likeness into the game without jumping through licensing hoops.

-- Steve

I find it kind of hard to believe that Activision didn't at all tell her that they were going to do this. And if she DID know about it, she should have asked them to remove the likeness pre-release, instead of waiting for the game to come out so she could sue them.

ViktorValentine:
Fans of Kurt will love the inclusion...

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you were born sometime after 1987, no?

Anton P. Nym:
Remind me again why I should care about the opinion of a semi-illiterate drama queen?

Yes, she was... well, not married, but whatever... to the man, but that doesn't mean she owns the corpse and the air he breathed. And somehow I doubt that Activision just crammed Cobain's likeness into the game without jumping through licensing hoops.

-- Steve

I am very tempted to say "This" but is frowned upon so I will elaborate
Why do so many rock stars and wives think that their opinion is so much better then other peoples. Most of them are so ignorant and blind that it hurts

I'm a massive Nirvana fan and harbor a burning hatred towards Courtney Love. The fact that she has any control or say in anything that happens with their music catalogue is sickening. Likeness rights is another story, but I'd be incredibly surprised if Activision just stole his image without permission. Attention-seeking whore was probably just too stoned to remember signing off on anything in a meeting.

Machines Are Us:
Apparently she didn't get enough money from killing her husband. Now she has to sue somebody to get even more.

This is one of the few conspiracies I subscribe to as having truth to it. The separate handwriting styles in the suicide note and having that high a level of drugs in your system and somehow maintaining the dexterity of putting a gun in your mouth unassisted strains credulity in my book.

This is clearly not the full story. I doubt they would use his image without having proper permission...they're most likely more savvy than that.
Having said that...this is in poor taste.

Machines Are Us:

Quoted for Truth.

Why is she only speaking up now? I didnt really follow GH5's development but was Cobain prominently featured in the hype, especially close to release? Maybe I was just seeing things, but in case i am actually sane, wouldn't have made more sense to speak up before the game shipped?

Uh...didn't they bother telling her beforehand?

Maybe this is like drunk texting...only drunk twittering? I mean...it IS Courtney Love we're talking about.

brabz:
I'm a massive Nirvana fan and harbor a burning hatred towards Courtney Love. The fact that she has any control or say in anything that happens with their music catalogue is sickening. Likeness rights is another story, but I'd be incredibly surprised if Activision just stole his image without permission. Attention-seeking whore was probably just too stoned to remember signing off on anything in a meeting.

Machines Are Us:

This is one of the few conspiracies I subscribe to as having truth to it. The separate handwriting styles in the suicide note and having that high a level of drugs in your system and somehow maintaining the dexterity of putting a gun in your mouth unassisted strains credulity in my book.

Alcan Inc thanks you for your unwavering support.

Do a bit of research into the guy who pushed the whole Courtney killed Cobain thing. You may change your mind.

No way in hell she didn't realise this beforehand, nor did they tell ask the people they thought they had to for permission. Though I did find it sickening that Cobain is being exploited in death (but what's new?) hell Courtney Love can barely speak clearly and stand up straight for more than a few minutes at a time (and as it shows, type clearly either)s, although if we're going with the murder theory (Which I'm inclined to believe)...

Bah, probably a loophole in the contract, she should lay off the dope while she signs off methinks.

GamerLuck:
Why is she only speaking up now? I didnt really follow GH5's development but was Cobain prominently featured in the hype, especially close to release? Maybe I was just seeing things, but in case i am actually sane, wouldn't have made more sense to speak up before the game shipped?

The same reason most companies wait to sue a few months to a few years after products are released, to drain as much money as physically possible. For them to try and say "hang on a tick...I didn't know our patented tech was being used like this without permission for so long!" is bullshit, they probably have teams dedicated to that sort of thing.

After reading her tweets and articles on the subject I think it's pretty clear she's drunk, delusional or both...

The Bandit:
Let's be fair though: They did a really good job on him. I mean, really. That looks just like the guy.

They did a great job on capturing his look - that's definitely true. And if they had confined his likeness to being used with the two Nirvana songs, I don't think anyone would really be complaining. But....

I think you can see why this might be something fans consider disrespectful.

We shouldnt even be giving this stupid bizznatch THIS much attention. Is Courtney Love even a real person anymore? Once the top of Kurt's head went missing, so did her relevance. NEXT!!!!!

Machines Are Us:

This is one of the few conspiracies I subscribe to as having truth to it. The separate handwriting styles in the suicide note and having that high a level of drugs in your system and somehow maintaining the dexterity of putting a gun in your mouth unassisted strains credulity in my book.[/quote]

If u want more info on that little suicide staging. It would of been impossible for kurt to pull the trigger in the first place. The trigger was to far away from his hand it was a double barrel shotgun.
sorry just adding fuel to a fire.

OT: i think activision would of found some loop hole allowing them to use his image its been a while since he died right so wouldnt the image rights of run out by now being like 15 years and all ?

I hate countney love
And since when did the Escapist start getting its articles via Prez Hilton?

I seen Hole in Louisville, KY at some POS bar (thunderdome?) back in the 90s. It was a pathetic show, so her rants are even more laughable. Some people play for the love of the art of music. But eventually the fame and fortune twist into a teet that pays the bills, etc. just like a regular job, so she wants her cut, and she ain't getting it, boo-hoo.

Virgil:

The Bandit:

They did a great job on capturing his look - that's definitely true. And if they had confined his likeness to being used with the two Nirvana songs, I don't think anyone would really be complaining. But....

I think you can see why this might be something fans consider disrespectful.

I can definitely see your point in that, but by the same token, we're dealing with a game that pretty much creates the fantasy of being some manner of guitarist. In that fantasy world, Kurt may be alive and well, and singing other people's music.

Courtney love, go die in a fire.

seriously, It's just a game. I would be ecstatic if I was featured in it.

Machines Are Us:

My favourite post of the day.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or