Bobby Kotick Wants to Take the Fun Out of Making Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Bobby Kotick knows what the masses want; they don't care about quality, they care about buying the thing of the moment, the popular item. Kotick and Activision are like the Abercrombie of the games industry. Their product isn't necessarily good, but all the hipsters want it (or at least they did four or five years ago).

And just like I think Abercrombie is a disgrace to the clothing industry, feeding off the fear of social alienation of teens and aging 20 somethings, so are Kotick and Activision to the games industry.

I personally believe that the entertainment industry should put their hearts into their products rather than just repackage the same old junk to make a profit. Obviously Kotick isn't doing anything illegal, but he's being a greedy, sleezy fuck.

Michael Eisner had the same attitude while he was at Disney. This caused them to churn out shit like The Return of Jafar and Cinderella 2. Now, Bob Iger is Disney's CEO, he's all about fun and creativity, and the company is producing better products and making more money.

The fact is, better products tend to make more money. Just compare Twilight Princess to Anubis II, the difference in quality correlates to the difference in sales. TP is a better product and has sold better. And what made TP better is that it was made by people who are passionate about what they do, like Miyamoto, whereas Anubis II, like all shovelware, was made by skeptics hoping only to make a quick buck.

P.S. Thanks

"In the near future... Corporations control everything... and make no effort to conceal it..."

Well screw this, I am quitting WoW, those bastards at Activision aren't going to get my 15 a month.

To reiterate:

dragonsatemymarbles:

In my little world at least, it's the writing that makes you care about the characters. Take Mass Effect - your party members especially are characterised really well, to the point where I would take Garrus along wherever I went just because I liked the guy. And Ashley, despite her combat effectiveness, would always stay behind due to her being a xenophobic bitch. She had her redeeming features, of course, but her attitude toward her non-human allies was a bit much.

Exactly! If a game's developer has made it so you establish that kind of connection with a character in their game, even if it's only as superficial as "I have Person X in my party 'cos I like his character" then they've succeeded as far as characterization goes. Mass Effect is a great example of how lifelike and endearing video game characters can be, and the fact that Mass Effect was made by BioWare, who was known for their great characters, also helps.

I wonder for how long his evil plan will last.

He will force them to make sequel after sequel with no joy in doing so, making Fifa and Madden seem like new franchises compared to their games.

Hopefully he will realise it though before it's too late. I mean hes already ruined Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

Mr.Kotick either has Asperger's syndrome, or thinks he is Snydly Whiplash.

They should untether Guitar Hero though. It would do well in its own right.

This is nothing more than demonstrating that the people who are now entering the video game industry aren't involved because of their passion for video games but instead the interest is in money.

When it comes to being a good businessman basically you must be ready to sacrifice all basic morales. You must be willing to break a promise, you must be willing to go against good ideas that are not profitable, and most importantly you must be able to not care about the development but only the end result. Very few businesses actually require one to care about both ends of business and when you get up to Kotick's level there is no need to worry about the employees because he already has people who do the work. All he has to worry about is keeping shareholders.

Malygris:

See I read this and I wonder. Just how someone can have this train of thought and still not understand where Piracy gets much of its fuel?

kotorfan04:
Well screw this, I am quitting WoW, those bastards at Activision aren't going to get my 15 a month.

While I too don't play right now (for different reasons) I'm not quite sure Activision would notice if Blizzard went under and Vice Versa. These sort of companies don't need people to pay them, they just seem to exist. My guess is they have printing presses.

Alright Bobby you did it, you officially are more evil then EA right now? You happy?

All forms of (good) entertainment require creativity to produce, which for game developers is the fun had in working on your games.

I'm not sure how he ever got the position of CEO but his mentality will be the downfall of the company, especially when you pressure your employees into disregarding a critical aspect of their job damaging their motivation to keep working for you. As I recall while Google pays really well and has an excellent working environment, most of the people don't even last a year due to the stress and pressure on innovation everyone is obligated to present during employment.

Activision may be a corporate behemoth, but with people like him they'll never get anywhere near what Nintendo's goals have achieved.

The name of the company, Activision, says it all.
In fact reports say that there mission statement reads:
Our vision is turning video games into video activities.

Malygris:
And yet, under his watch Activision has grown to become the industry's one true behemoth. So maybe he's on to something. Maybe, at the end of the day, evil works.

i doubt it will in the long run. my guess is 10 years from now Activision will be sold off or out of business and Kotick will have long since bailed out with a golden parachute. you can only get so far in business when you have nothing but contempt for your customers and employees.

Well there goes any lingering doubt that Bobby Kotick wasn't a profoundly unlikeable individual.

bushwhacker2k:
I don't think I'll be working at Activision any time soon.

Agreed. The entire reason for my choice of subject at university, my downloading of various game design programs, and my optional computing module next year, are all so I can make a career in games development and/or games programming. I want to do that as my career because I find it interesting, and above all else, fun. There's no point working on a project if it isn't fun to be involved with, and more to the point, fun to actually implement once complete. In this case, that means creating and playing games. There's no way I'll be applying for a position at Activision when I graduate. Which is a shame as they were responsible for Spyro the Dragon, one of my favourite PS1 franchises of all time.

Nah, I'll probably go for Bungie or Lionhead instead. Reasons being that, I'm a Halo fanboy so working for the company that helped create it would be awesome, even if they aren't planning any more Halo games after Halo: Reach. As for Lionhead, I just want to work for Peter Molyneux, because although he constantly hypes his games too much, I would genuinely love to be a part of his vision, since I see him as a guy who genuinely loves the industry and simply gets too excited about his company's products (to the point that they end up overhyped).

MaxTheReaper:
Oh, the beauty of true evil...
It's...incredible to behold.

If I could, I would share an evil laugh with this man (as he picked my pocket.)

I doubt even Bobby Kotick would risk picking your pocket. There's no telling what we might find within...

hell yeah. must be cool to work for him. he basically hated on his developers. asshole. still, he shits money as itīs the only thing he seems to eat all day.

Malygris:
Maybe, at the end of the day, evil works.

More like sometimes crazy works.

The best thing about this guy is that eventually he will keel over and die.

Trivun:

I doubt even Bobby Kotick would risk picking your pocket. There's no telling what we might find within...

It depends on if he's intelligent enough to pick my real wallet or my decoy wallet.

The decoy injects whoever opens it with poison.
Shortly thereafter, their skin falls off.
Shortly thereafter, they die.

I really love Lawful Evil at work, it truly is a sight to behold.

I believe his position as the CEO of Activision is numbered.

Also, anyone up for a game of Modern Warfare 2? I'd like to see him as an NPC in it, one that you can shoot with infinite ammo, and he keeps getting up.

MaxTheReaper:

Trivun:

It depends on if he's intelligent enough to pick my real wallet or my decoy wallet.

The decoy injects whoever opens it with poison.
Shortly thereafter, their skin falls off.
Shortly thereafter, they die.

Then what happens with the real wallet? I'm assuming that's somehow worse.

And I realise it says a lot about both me and you that I can possibly entertain the thought that you have something worse than that in your real wallet.

Trivun:

And I realise it says a lot about both me and you that I can possibly entertain the thought that you have something worse than that in your real wallet.

I keep pictures of various tragedies in it.

The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, pictures from the Holocaust, a picture of Superman 64...

kotorfan04:

Well done, kid, your now a man *tear comes from eye*.

MaxTheReaper:

Trivun:

I keep pictures of various tragedies in it.

The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, pictures from the Holocaust, a picture of Superman 64...

Now you've made me feel bad. You really are a master of evil, it's rare that someone manages to make me feel bad...

P.S. Just out of interest, what is your avatar? I cn't help feeling that I've seen that picture somewhere before, but I'm not entirely sure where...

Is public stoning still out of style? I'm thinking we should bring it back for special cases like this.

EDIT: OT: It's really no wonder I've been so disinterested with the gaming market for the last few years. If everything that's being pumped out is being made under a guise of "skepticism, pessimism, and fear" not to mention the company's employee incentive program that "really rewards profit and nothing else." Eugh, makes me want to vomit.

Faeanor:
Is public stoning still out of style? I'm thinking we should bring it back for special cases like this.

Yeah, we did that 50 years ago, with unprotected sex.

Why not just let him design his own perfect game, lock him in a room for 30 years, feed him through a hole in the door, with what ever console he has, and that game only, seems more up my street of Karma punishments.

Activision are becoming bigger cunts by the day. The devil looks on with envy.

Well I hope this guy is now happily aware of how many skitso gamers want to murder him in his sleep now. Mouth off all you want to the press sonny-jim it's going to come back to haunt you sooner or later in the form of a twitchy eyed downtrodden video game developer and a sharp object.

Trivun:

Now you've made me feel bad. You really are a master of evil, it's rare that someone manages to make me feel bad...

P.S. Just out of interest, what is your avatar? I cn't help feeling that I've seen that picture somewhere before, but I'm not entirely sure where...

What can I say?
I'm talented.

I sincerely have no ide--actually, that's a lie.
It's a picture I found in a thread.
After some digging, I discovered that it's just that - a picture, as far as I'm aware.

Bobby Kotick, i have 2 words to say to ya: FUCK YOU.

Next thing you know he'll be shooting rays of pure evil from his eyes...

Man, this guy makes my blood boil..

I am quite sure that if I ever met this guy on the street, I would punch him directly in the dick.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here