Bobby Kotick Wants to Take the Fun Out of Making Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

bloody hell.

Another reason to walk around Activision games.

If anyone finds this man alone, please beat the shit out of him.

EDIT : or just fucking kill him. Either or. How do you put a bounty on someone's head?

ssgt splatter:
Everybody, meet the new Jack Thompson.

He is the opposite of Jack Thompson. Jack thought what he was doing was right. This guy...

Is so much more...

If only Lorne Lanning were here, he'd save us all :(

Especially if him and Gabe Newell formed into one super-being of Godlike awesomenes...

Seeya fellas, I have to go and fantasise about this for the next few hours.

So this is the guy responsible for ruining Guitar Hero?

God, what a douchebag

And this is the same guy that told Sony last summer to drop the price of their PS3 or he would stop publishing Activision's titles on the console?

What a dick.

This man looks like he comes from a loveless marriage of a women that smelled of failed trailer park dreams and heroin and screech from "Saved By The Bell", and has children who never appreciated him as a father(unlike mommy's poolboy), and kills his favorite pet just so he could possibly get the message one day that everyone hates him.

Sorry, went a little off there.

But seriously, he's a big wig idiot, who deserves to be beaten with a bandsaw for all of his idiot ideas.

bjj hero:
There are a lot of complaints here about how evil he is but this guy is the american dream. Free market Capitalism working well.

The American kids on this forum should want to be this guy.

Yeah if we were all a bunch of morally corrupt stereotypes we'd want to be this guy. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than "make a shit-ton of cash and having no conscience"

Capitalism itself isn't so bad but it's people like Kotick that make it pretty crappy for the "lesser" people. I'm glad he's only in control of a video game company and not something that could really upset the balance of the world or some other weird paranoid conspiracy crap like that.

I'm not surprised, but I don't hate him for it, either. He's a businessman, running a business. His companies have only gotten where they are by stepping on a few fingers, including fingers that were holding on to the cliff face. He's ruthless. No businessman of his caliber would be anything but.

That doesn't mean I respect the man.

I want to say this.

Do not buy Modern Warfare 2. Borrow it, rent it, pirate it, anything to make sure he does not get your money. Spread this message to everyone you know. Robert Kotick needs to learn that he can't treat his consumer base like this.

I for one, will buy MW2 as soon as I can. Used.

Well, I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't buy any more games from Activision...

At first I thought this guy was just a particularly greedy and corrupt executive, but now he is just a bit short of mustache-twirling tying-women-to-railroad-tracks villainy.

Fun is the purpose of life (IMO), if he tries to remove it then he a ponce and fails.

I'm pretty sure someday soon we'll discover that Activision actually means Hell in another ancient language and Bobby Kotick would be the name of its keeper.

What... A... Dick.

Seriously, the guy may know how to make money, but he's just a complete knob. I just gotta hope there really is something to this karma stuff, but he's due a load of ass kicking in the near future.

O well fun while it lasted the games industry will hopfully die soon then as was before it will be reborn new and better than the last time.

I don't know if I want to buy another Activision game if this guy is in charge of the company. He appears to be the true gaming Anti-Christ. Eventually, his greed will lead to the mosr restrictive DRM ever devised so he can attempt to wring the hard-earned cash out of us!

The prophecy is coming to pass! Beware all ye who game!

Let him have a go, but it everybody up and quits or nobody actually wants to play those games, I don't think his future is very bright.

The only reason I bought GH5 was to get the free Guitar Hero Van Halen before the retail release. In the meantime, we're playing considerably more Beatles: Rock Band than GH5, likely because it's more "fun"...

Business is business, but you don't have to be such a corporate killjoy about it!

-Joe

how can Kotick even manage to convince any of his employees that Activition could go bankrupt? he is CEO of the single largest gaming company on earth, making nearly twice the money NCsoft (largest MMO company on earth, makes more money then WoW) does in a month (NCsoft makes about as much as WoW, and Activition does also).

Looking at all the Bobby Kotick articles and threads here and everywhere else, I believe we may be buying games from the real world's most efficient troll.

I agree with the people who say he's jerking us around.

Not that he isn't a corporate bottom-line slimebag who hates anyone who enjoys life. Just that he's aware we're all aware of that.

Say what you like about Kotick embodying raw undiluted evil in corporate form, these public statements of his are frighteningly funny in a "why the hell would anyone go on the record saying that?!" sort of way. It used to be Activision was just another publisher, now they're my number one source of morbid comedy!

Gangster Amoeba:
Looking at all the Bobby Kotick articles and threads here and everywhere else, I believe we may be buying games from the real world's most efficient troll.

Something like this?

You never know what someone will do with power, until you give it to them - Harry Dresden, The Dresden Files.

"and how technology has not yet reached the point where gamers can develop real emotional attachments to on-screen characters."

Interesting statement. I don't know if he was referring to guitar hero or all games in general. As far as PC games go, and even some console games, I have certainly developed emotional attachments for characters.

As for his Evil reign, Companies are there to make money. So what he is doing is understandable. But taking all the fun out of your job is not a wise decision.

Kotick was always an asshole, and even if you didn't know that personally, you could assume it. He's in marketing, so it's kind of obvious. It seems like most publishers use this methodology, but only Kotick has the balls to say it out loud.

I said this in another thread and they said I was nuts:
Game companies need to be run by artists. The business people need to be employees, advisors, NOT CEOs.

Now Activision proves me right again, that unfettered capitalism is a bane. Kotick is an idiot but rich one because too many of you keep buying the games.
Ahh, the joys of piracy. I never need worry about funding this shithead as I'll simply ignore his products until I decide to steal from him.

Sad thing is he has us by the balls. Almost all the big games that are coming out are produced by Activision. So we either shut up and do nothing or we stand up and boycott.

*keeps his politics and his cognitive opiates very much separate*

*ahem* He sounds like a 100% capitalist. Good for him. He is honest and consistent.

when something becomes your job, it stops being fun. there was no point for Kotick to even say this, cold hard reality already has a bitchslap cocked for each person who is hired to program a game

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I remember a time when another big name video game company got taken over by corporate minded folk, more interested in making the company into a printing press and getting the games out the door as fast as possible then letting programmers and such have creative freedoms. The games ended up being so banal that it caused the video game market crash of the '80s, and the company was sold off piecemail. Today, the only remnants of the company is another company who wears its name around itself like a dead skin.

Game company big wigs best pay attention to the lesson that is Atari, less they fall to the same fate...kinda like the Atari of today is now.

AceDiamond:

bjj hero:
There are a lot of complaints here about how evil he is but this guy is the american dream. Free market Capitalism working well.

The American kids on this forum should want to be this guy.

Yeah if we were all a bunch of morally corrupt stereotypes we'd want to be this guy. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than "make a shit-ton of cash and having no conscience"

Capitalism itself isn't so bad but it's people like Kotick that make it pretty crappy for the "lesser" people. I'm glad he's only in control of a video game company and not something that could really upset the balance of the world or some other weird paranoid conspiracy crap like that.

Actually TRUE free market capitalism would be people refusing to buy his company's games. Which would, in turn, cause Activision to suffer heavy losses (which they would futilely blame on file sharing), and later, hopefully, result in the bankruptcy of his company.

Of course, this is all hinging on the fact that Big Government hopefully won't hand him a couple billion and a blow job...

This man disgusts me.

Perfect example of money and power corrupting.

As violent as this sounds, can someone just kill him and get someone who actually plays games to take the CEO position?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)