Highlander Remake Announced

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Highlander Remake Announced

Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift director Justin Lin has been tapped to direct a "re-imagining" of Highlander, the cult classic tale of swords and immortals.

I hate the word "re-imagining." You know why? Because it implies that whoever's behind it actually has some imagination, some vision, some creative spark of his own, when that's clearly not the case. If it was then there wouldn't be any need for Hollywood to shamelessly plunder the graves of past films to compensate for its own shocking lack of original ideas. So you can imagine how I feel about news that Highlander, an absolutely freakin' awesome movie that starred Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and Clancy Brown as the most psychotically bad-ass barbarian of all time, is about to suffer that particular indignity.

Lin is rejoining with producer Neal H. Moritz to make the film, having worked with him previously on the 2009 release Fast & Furious. The new Highlander movie will be written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, who were part of the Iron Man writing team. Peter Davis, a producer on the original Highlander movie, will also have a production credit in the remake.

The new film will "expand on the original Highlander's core mythology of immortals battling amongst us," and is expected to spur the rebirth of the entire franchise. "Justin and Neal are an exciting directing/producing team and I am confident that they will deliver a truly dynamic film while being totally respectful of Highlander legend," Davis said.

No word yet on when production is scheduled to begin or who might appear in the movie; personally, I've got my fingers crossed for Freddie Prinze Jr., Kane and Steven Seagal as Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez. Hell, if that happened I might actually pay to go see this thing.

Source: /Film

No.... Nooooo.... NO! Just leave Highlander alone. If they want to remake something, remake 'Highlander 2: The Mistake' or even 'Highlander 3: The Apology' just leave the original alone.

:( I feel very uneasy about how this will turn out.

I am a sad panda.

Argh.

It's the only sensable word I can find to express myself about the matter at this moment.

Just, argh.

No.

Just... No.

Maybe they'll throw in decent fight scenes. Old movies have terrible fight scenes... Fucking petty.

I do not know if I have seen the first Highlander, but I have seen some sequels, they all have terrible fight scenes.

Nooooooo :'( It's like an innocent baby awaiting to be kicked in the face.

Will it have Clancy Brown playing a psychopath? Someone with a Swiss accent playing a Scotsman while a Scotsman plays an Egyptian/Spaniard? A custom soundtrack by Queen?

Tentative "no" on this one.

I have a bad feeling about this

It's going to suck and what the hell happened to the Highlander video game that was in the works?

Who else feels extremeley uncomfterable?

I swore I'd never say this but, "can't we have new movies, not remakes?"
yep, just died a bit inside.

It's the only good thing with the Highlander name so it makes sense to remake it to be as bad as the rest.

Two words: Highlander 2

The amount of good remakes can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

(39 Steps counts, Batman counts, Spiderman counts, very few others)

KillerMidget:
:( I feel very uneasy about how this will turn out.

Look at the bright side, could anything they do with it be worse than any of the sequels?

I'm quite exited..., no wait the other one... dismayed. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! So stop making sequels.

There is no reason to remake Highlander anything. Remakes and reimaginings (as well as sequels to other people's movies) are nothing but shortcuts for bad writers who don't want to take the time to think of original ideas. It's basically fanfiction. The only thing remakes accomplish is creating a poor imitation of the original work.

Malygris:

I hate the word "re-imagining." You know why? Because it implies that whoever's behind it actually has some imagination, some vision, some creative spark of his own, when that's clearly not the case. If it was then there wouldn't be any need for Hollywood to shamelessly plunder the graves of past films to compensate for its own shocking lack of original ideas.

Took the words right of my mouth. We've got an Oldboy adaptation coming, a Lady Vengeance adaptation, an Akira adaptation (?!) a Fantastic Four reboot, a Superman reboot, a Daredevil reboot and more.

I hate it. Reboots and adaptations are a creative sink, and all you tend to do is make a blemish on the original's reputation by making a film that can't live up to it's predecessor.

Wost still is an adaptation that just exploits die hard fans by creating an "adaptation" that resembles it's source material in name only. That's a couple mill already in the bank.

Can't create an original piece of work? Let's see what the old nostalgia chest can cook up...

Oh for the love of all that is good and holy please no. If I wasn't so tired and sleepy I'd fire up Vice City and pretend the hookers are all Justin Lin. And chop them to bits. With chainsaws. After frying their asses with a flamethrower.

Leave it alone. The first film is fuckin a!

Best line:
Help, I'm drowning!

You can't drown fool, you're immortal!

*facepalms to his throat and takes his own head.*

A remake?! but... but... but...

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

They could cast a scot as the Highlander, a spaniard as the spaniard and update the special effects. I think this could be an actually good idea!

DrTrevelyan:
A remake?! but... but... but...

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

...+1 Internet is winging it's way to you shortly.

electric discordian:
They could cast a scot as the Highlander, a spaniard as the spaniard and update the special effects. I think this could be an actually good idea!

Soo... You want to remove all the stuff that's good about it? I'm sure 50 Cent will be on hand to do an all-custom song list for it, too...

Oh god, I got 100 bucks that says it will have Jason Stathem in it... every year I hate that guy more and more.

Hmm.

I'd be far less worried if they had a good director on board...

NOOOOOOOOO jesus h fuckin christ will hollywood stop fucking with seminal movies from my childhood!

AAARGH!!!!

Now Highlander is next?!
When I am old I will friggin "Re-imagine" the late 90's till now and erase all those godawfull remakes out of existence!!!

Please tell me this is a joke. The only people I saw in that description about whom I'm even moderately optimistic are the screenwriters. Iron Man was pretty well-written (even if the villain was shallow and the final fight was lame).

But Fast & Furious? Really?

Making a 50-year old B movie into an A movie is admirable (a la Ocean's Eleven), but making a B movie that's less than a decade old into another B movie is just uninspired repackaging. I'll be watching this through covered eyes, like the train wreck it is.

We really need to let this one go... Highlander was like the most awesome thing ever, everything after that was... well...

Time to let it RIP

Malygris:
So you can imagine how I feel about news that Highlander, an absolutely freakin' awesome movie that starred Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and Clancy Brown as the most psychotically bad-ass barbarian of all time, is about to suffer that particular indignity.

To be fair, Highlander 2, 3, 4, etc, already dug up the body, had sex with it, peed on it, and then reburied it upside down with a container of nuclear waste on its back.

Nincompoop:
Maybe they'll throw in decent fight scenes. Old movies have terrible fight scenes... Fucking petty.

I do not know if I have seen the first Highlander, but I have seen some sequels, they all have terrible fight scenes.

Well, I saw the first one once, and one or two of the others a few times, but from what I can tell, the first movie was much better than the sequels; as in, the first movie was the only good one in the lot.

GyroCaptain:
Will it have Clancy Brown playing a psychopath? Someone with a Swiss accent playing a Scotsman while a Scotsman plays an Egyptian/Spaniard? A custom soundtrack by Queen?

Woah.

Queen did nothing to you, or Highlander.

Insults are not necessary.

Mrsnugglesworth:

GyroCaptain:

Woah.

Queen did nothing to you, or Highlander.

Insults are not necessary.

What?! I'm confused; there are no insults there whatsoever, either of Queen or Highlander. Those were the listed reasons that Highlander is effing awesome and doesn't need to be remade by somebody who thinks showing ricers going around in circles makes a good movie.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here