Wii 4.2 Update Reportedly Trashing Consoles

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Wii 4.2 Update Reportedly Trashing Consoles

Nasty reports are beginning to surface that the latest Wii update, which was intended primarily to remove "homebrew" content, is actually destroying some consoles.

Both NeoGAF and and Nintendo's technical support forum are being hit with reports from people whose Wii consoles have frozen during the download of the 4.2 update and will not reboot when they're unplugged and restarted. It was originally suspected that only consoles with the Homebrew Channel installed were being damaged but it now appears to be a random issue, as some "non-HBC" Wii owners are claiming that their systems have been "bricked" as well.

The problem appears to lie with the "boot2" program, which the Wii requires to start up properly. Changes to that program as a result of the update leave it prone to write errors which can cause the console to refuse to boot, regardless of whether or not it has ever been modified. The risk is only present during the update process, however; once the update is complete, there is no risk of your system coming to harm.

Nintendo has remained silent on the matter thus far and some users with out-of-warranty systems have reportedly been told they'll have to cover the cost of repairs themselves, although that stance could presumably change if this grows into a "Red Ring of Death" style problem. In the meantime, until the matter is settled once and for all, it's probably best to just avoid this update altogether.

via: Nintendo Everything

It's a good thing two things are true then.

1. I didn't bring my Wii to college, and
2. Other than a wired connection, my internet sucks at home.

Perfect. The red ring, the yellow light of death, trojans, and now this.
Technology is slowly going down the crapper.

They update that thing?

Booze Zombie:
They update that thing?

My thoughts exactly.

Oh well, join the club.

This basically confirms what we all know already: QA is wishful thinking as far as gaming industry is concerned. Suddenly, the fact that Microsoft requires weeks of testing for any patch or update to any GFWL games doesn't sound so bad. Nintendo has remained silent because it's the best option they have. Confirming the problem will likely mean they have to replace a lot of consoles. Denying would mean the same thing plus more bad publicity if it gets confirmed further. Keeping quiet and seeing how it plays out is their safest bet...

On a related note, what's Homebrew Channel? I'm guessing it has somethig to do with user-made content...

Maybe they'll change their tune if someone sues them.

Surely there's a solid argument that if a console maker's update ruins your console they should replace it warranty or not because they bricked it and wear has nothing to do with that.

If a garage broke my car or cycle shop damaged my bike they'd be obliged to make good without charge, so there's precedent.
There could also be a slightly more subversive argument that these updates are deilberately released with bricking flaws in the to drive sales of consoles out of warranty, of course no company would willingly put something on the market that they kne wdidn't work right, right?

Booze Zombie:
They update that thing?

Casual Shinji:

Booze Zombie:
They update that thing?

My thoughts exactly.

Oh well, join the club.

Yes they update it. Sheesh.
Seeing how I don't have Homebrew, My hasn't crashed.

Jandau:

On a related note, what's Homebrew Channel? I'm guessing it has somethig to do with user-made content...

Homebrew's user made content not sanctioned by Nintendo. It's extremely common on the DS and fairly common on Wii.

~Nintendo hate it naturally, the official line is that it's piracy or encourages piracy, which is only partialy true as a lot of homebrew is original material. I think the reality is that lots of excellent pieces of software come out of homebrew and Nintendo do not like that they cannot control or charge for it.
There's a bit on the PSP as well, but over there it is more pirated games than clever programs.

Haha. Man, this just completes the trifectate of crap that's spread over all the consoles. Really, can't anyone get any updates right?

mmmmmmm I think I updated to 4.2......... If I did didn't crash on me. Although there have been times where I'm playing World at War on it and the screen totally freezes and never fixes. So I have to rip the plug on the sucka and start all over. kinda annoying, but happens rarely for me ^_^

Magnatek:
It's a good thing two things are true then.

1. I didn't bring my Wii to college, and
2. Other than a wired connection, my internet sucks at home.

Both of these are also true for me. Who needs to bring a Wii to college when the DS works just as well?

...as well as the fact my mother wouldn't give up the Wii. Her and her Animal Crossing addiction...

I downloaded the update when my Wii blued at me. It updated. Nothing happened. My Wii is fine.

I'm just stoked I haven't upgraded mine since I got it now

Good thing my internet is out at the moment.
my wii is safe!

Well crap.

Um...guess I'm not turning on my Wii until 4.3 happens.

I just honestly don't get it why Nintendo hates the homebrew channel so much. My little brother has it, and he has no pirated games on it, only user made content or fan made source ports of classic games like Wii Quake (they only created the port so you need to own the game to use it) that allows you to play Quake with the Wii mote. Plus there are also allot of old school arcade games like Asteroids.

By little brother stopped updating his Wii ages ago exactly to avoid Nintendo's attempts to remove the homebrew channel from his Wii, so Nintendo can kiss my ass.

I updated, but my Wii seems fine.

Casual Shinji:

Booze Zombie:
They update that thing?

My thoughts exactly.

Oh well, join the club.

Third-ed. Never knew it had updates, what really is there to update....

Mazty:

Casual Shinji:

Booze Zombie:
They update that thing?

My thoughts exactly.

Oh well, join the club.

Third-ed. Never knew it had updates, what really is there to update....

Well let's see there was the USB peripheral support, the Free Wiinternet Channel update, the update that allows us to save data to SD cards, tons of stuff really. Anytime there's an update to the firmware or something along those lines.

Now I'm wondering if my Wii back home is set to auto-update or not...

I'm glad I don't auto update, then. Just goes to show, this is why sometimes the 3rd party updates are better than the branded ones. Though, the usb peripheral support would be a nice touch to have added. Mine is finnicky at the best, and I could use the new support...

Don't some Wii games update the system? And will that also brick the Wii?

Or am I wrong?

Nintendo is sending an update that breaks their consoles? No surprise there >_>

I already got the update and nothing's wrong with it so I think I'm fine. I would also recommend not getting the update before they alter it somehow if it really is bricking random Wii's. You might not be able to use Wii Shop Channel, but it's better than having to pay $200+however many VC/WiiWare games you downloaded.

One thing's for sure though: If New Super Mario Bros. Wii will have this update on the disc, this could potentially reach an RRoD-level pandemic.

The Wii cost $200 dollars now.

There new update is trashing consoles.

Its a conspiracy! They're doing it on purpose!

*Ahem* Anyways, that sucks. People are going to get angry when they can't play their Wii Sports.

Don't worry! I'm here to stop the fanbo-- oh, crap. Too late.

Ahem, anyway. Needless to say, my Wii won't be getting an update in the next few months.

Anyone else miss the old days, when consoles and their games didn't require patching and firmware updates?

Jandau:

It's basically an application you use to launch homebrew software from your SD card.

Originally there was a security flaw in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that allowed people to use a hacked save game to force the Wii to load an executable from the SD card, so someone created a file that (when run through this so-called "Twilight Hack") would install the Homebrew Channel on the Wii's internal storage.

So, yes, with the Homebrew Channel installed you can with very little effort run all sorts of homebrew applications from your SD card.

Personally I just use it to get region free games.

Icehearted:
Anyone else miss the old days, when consoles and their games didn't require patching and firmware updates?

I do.

Turning consoles into mini-PC's is the worst thing the industry can do. Though unless not installing a patch actually denies me access to my games or my ability to use the console i don't have all that much of a problem with it. Plus getting new features for free every now and then is always neat.

I don't know why game system companies don't support homebrew. If they did, they'd push more product. They waste too much time and money trying to get rid of homebrew users, like on the PSP. That system could've been amazing, but Sony wasted all its time with updates to get rid of the hackers that ended up just cracking their stuff in the end anyway.

Booze Zombie:
They update that thing?

Yes, the firmware is updated periodically. Why does this surprise you?

Incidentally, my Wii updated without incident so whatever. I didn't even know there was a Homebrew Channel.

Krakyn:
I don't know why game system companies don't support homebrew. If they did, they'd push more product. They waste too much time and money trying to get rid of homebrew users, like on the PSP. That system could've been amazing, but Sony wasted all its time with updates to get rid of the hackers that ended up just cracking their stuff in the end anyway.

it's not so much that they're against homebrew that they are against piracy, since the same methods to get homebrew working are then used by pirates. homebrew unfortunately becomes somewhat of an innocent bystander.

Also it could have something to do with the whole XBLA/WiiWare/PSN indie game scene that's starting to crop up.

I've updated and nothings wrong with my wii so far. The only thing I've been using on the system after updating is the internet channel, the nintendo channel, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for the gamecube and everything seems fine.

And this is just another reason why I never bothered to buy a Wii...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here