New Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Goes Down in "Infamy"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Goes Down in "Infamy"

Feast your eyes on the newest trailer - called "Infamy" - for Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2, also known as the reason every other game is getting pushed back to 2010. (Warning: Spoilers!)

SPOILER ALERT. SPOILER ALERT. DANGER, WILL ROBINSON.

We were promised a trailer for the weekend, and boy did Infinity Ward ever deliver. My first thought as I started watching the above trailer: "Sweet Baby Jesus, that game looks pretty." My second thought, as the trailer neared the ending: "Oh, so that's how they're planning on beating 'Shock and Awe'" - that is, the famous nuke sequence from the first Modern Warfare.

To sum things up, this trailer features an unnamed speaker posing the hypothetical question to (we're assuming) American forces: What if the battle were on your own homeland? It might be an unthinkable outcome in a post-Cold War world, but is it really impossible? The trailer goes on to show this exact "unthinkable" scenario, depicting what is obviously a wartorn Washington D.C. complete with bombed-out White House, Washington Monument, and Lincoln Monument.

So it appears that in addition to flying all across the globe in search of foreign enemies to dispatch with extreme prejudice, the American soldiers will be dealing with a war at home. We already know that the Brits will be returning from CoD4, but the idea of a battlefield within America's borders raises some questions about what their involvement will be - will Soap McTavish and the others join the fight in the USA, or will they still be traipsing around the world dealing with the more international aspects of the conflict?

Sure, MW2's existence means that (almost) every other major title is being pushed back to the beginning of next year, but it just might be worth it after all.

Do want this game.
not long now... Oh, that looks sooo good...
I Want To Take It Home!
oh wait, that's the point.

Well, I know what game is on the top of my list...

Mine, mine, mine, mine... *Drools*

And the SAS should be returning in some form in MW2 as Soap is supposed to return.

God the plot seems to get more fictious every time I hear of it

and where are the miniguns on Humvees? I never have seen them

i think they just jumped the shark, CoD4 was great because it was realistic-ish modern warfare, and now...wow,

They better bring back the brits! :P

Looks great. I probably won't buy it since Christmas is just a month after the release but either way I can't wait.

I'm gonna wait untill it's the same price as every other fucking game. However, that trailer looked purdy.

MR T3D:
i think they just jumped the shark, CoD4 was great because it was realistic-ish modern warfare, and now...wow,

I don't believe it's jumping the shark if whatever nation doing the invasion has a legit amount of infantry and vehicles for said city. For all we know, the invasion is just in that local area, so even a small nation could start a huge battle there.

"One wonders if the Brits will be returning from CoD4, and if so in what respect."

Errr... What? This guy realises the first gameplay video shown (or one of the first) showed Soap and that new guy Roach who are both British, right?

Modern Warfare's British missions were miles better than the American ones.

That trailer really made me want to play Fallout 3...

Well, I know I was getting this game anyway, but the idea of fighting a war in Washington DC? Sweet.

Pulse Reality:

And the SAS should be returning in some form in MW2 as Soap is supposed to return.

He is , as part of the international task force that is- as far as I know- the protagonist of this game.

i think that i am the only one in the history of this planet who wont be getting this game. that won't stop it selling like hot cakes.
I am also afraid that other great titles like uncharted or brutal legend wont sell well because of this games release... :(

Jimmy_shredshot:

yeah, the ending looks like fallout 3: modern warfare

Jimmy_shredshot:

Yea me too

I am looking forward to the story, the multiplayer... not so much...

Well, they're certainly playing the dramatic card here. Be interesting to see how it all fits into the story though.

Woodsey:
"One wonders if the Brits will be returning from CoD4, and if so in what respect."

Errr... What? This guy realises the first gameplay video shown (or one of the first) showed Soap and that new guy Roach who are both British, right?

Fixed the original story to clarify my question - it was more wondering whether or not the British forces would be involved in the fighting in America, or if they'd be doing just the international missions.

Pulse Reality:
Mine, mine, mine, mine... *Drools*

FUCK YEA!!!! SOAPS MACTAVISH!

Damn, what a great trailer. As if I didn't want the game hard enough. And the music is kick-ass.

Omega Hunter 9:

MR T3D:

I don't believe it's jumping the shark if whatever nation doing the invasion has a legit amount of infantry and vehicles for said city. For all we know, the invasion is just in that local area, so even a small nation could start a huge battle there.

frankly put, its nigh impossible to conventially invade the contential US, IDC who you are, so unless there's been a nuke strike, which would render much of the area uninhabitable due to radiation, then it seems silly and is there just for the 'wow' factor.

Well at least the campaign seems to be longer this time.....WHICH IS EPIC
but I doubt they'll be able to beat Shock and Awe...unless they nuke DC...which would probably result in MW2 being banned in America on claims of provoking terrorism or something like that

Damn, they should have kept that DC footage underwraps. Imagine the impact of DC getting invaded if you didn't see it coming. Let's be honest: most people decided whether or not they were going to buy this the moment that first teaser dropped. Everyone else decided by the time the multiplayer footage got released.

This trailer was unnecessary, despite the awsomeness of it.

Pretty good trailer, although I do have to echo the sentiments of everyone who brought up Fallout. Still, looking good so far. I don't think I'm gonna watch any more trailers until release though. The reason Shock And Awe was so good was because I didn't know it was coming.

CantFaketheFunk:

Woodsey:

Fixed the original story to clarify my question - it was more wondering whether or not the British forces would be involved in the fighting in America, or if they'd be doing just the international missions.

Ah OK.

I thought about it after I commented anyway and aren't all the missions going to be following Task Force 141 (or whatever it is)? I believe they're an international group so it may be like the latter stages of Modern Warfare; i.e. Americans and Brits working together.

Fantastic trailer though, nearly on par with the killer AC2 ones (pun intended). Shame about that nob Bobby Kotick and his 'business methods', which I assume is the main reason why the prices for the various editions of the game have gone from waist-to-nipple height like a granddad's trousers.

"Yea, and God said to Infinity Ward, 'You shall declare that thou wanteth the army in thy butt.' And said Infinity Ward, 'I wants the Bush Administration in mah ass!' And sayeth God unto Infinity Ward, 'Thou shalt go back to making World War II games.' And said Infinity Ward, 'We are making Modern Warfare 2.' And God, defeated in his ways to not maketh Infinity Ward blow ass, said merely, 'Fuck it,' and went back to bed."
From the Book of Everybody's A Moron.

Am I the only one that saw this coming? They'd already depleted Russia and the Middle East in the first game.

not impressed at all. LETS USE EXPLOSIONS IN THE TRAILER TO HIDE THE LINEARITY OF THE LEVELS

I hope you're not serious about the games getting pushed back, because I don't have a 360, and my PC's not particularly powerful, so Idon't want to be stuck there come christmas twiddling my thumbs whilst my friend gloats and boasts about this fantasmical piece of software.

I suppose that means the SAS will not be present to clean up the mess this time round.

Is anyone else getting the nagging feeling that this will all turn out a bit Matrix: Reloaded? So conciously trying to top what worked incredibly well in CoD4 that it all ends up a generic ott bad guy fest without the grounding in story telling and (sort of) reality that CoD4 did so well...

MR T3D:

Totally agree and I said so last night on my community forum. Russian terrorists blow up the US Capitol City? This is Glenn Beck crying on national television bad. We were dealing with a broken arrow situation originally so why couldn't we have just continued in another war torn venue like the Russian/Chinese border and protected North America from circumpolar launches (lots of snow for your snow levels). There's Pakistan/India that's heating up and there were already bombings and escalation.

Heck why not fight through the Bering Straight and face Alaskan helicopters piloted by lipstick wearing bulldogs? That would be less cheezey than the idea that a tiny foreign group of para military could assault and destroy the US Captiol City and all her monuments. IW messed up the campaign story with this one.

metroidgearsolid:
i think that i am the only one in the history of this planet who wont be getting this game. that won't stop it selling like hot cakes.
I am also afraid that other great titles like uncharted or brutal legend wont sell well because of this games release... :(

Oh don't worry, with the amount of fanfare it's gotten, Brutal Legend I'm sure will do fine. Uncharted, probably not as well.

Oh man, I'm so pissed that my honor and intelligence demand that I wait until the game has reached less than 50 Euros(normal price for a new game in Germany). I really want it now, but I am NOT going to contribute to a raised price for future games.

This game better be good.And who the hell is Will Robinson?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here