Shigeru Miyamoto Loves to Measure Stuff

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shigeru Miyamoto Loves to Measure Stuff

Speaking with fellow Nintendo veteran Satoru Iwata, legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto admitted that he carried a tape measure around with him at all times so that he could measure things.

In the latest installment of "Iwata Asks", Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata spoke about Wii Fit Plus and its ability to, say, keep track of your dog's weight in case Fifi needs to get more exercise and stop chowing down on the doggie biscuits. During the conversation, the Nintendo guru mentioned his fondness for weighing and measuring objects, suggesting that Wii Fit Plus could be used to "weigh the objects around you and have a lot of fun that way..."

As it turns out, guessing games aren't just something Miyamoto likes to do - they're a passion of his:

Miyamoto: I've always enjoyed guessing the lengths of objects, which is why I carry a measuring tape around with me.

Iwata: Really? That one's new to me too!

Miyamoto: For instance, I might guess that the table in front of us is about 1.2 metres long. Then I'd actually measure it with the measuring tape to check. If I got it right, I'd think: "I'm on form today!" But if I missed the mark by a long way, I'd think: "I've been slipping a bit recently!"

Nor is it just measuring the length of objects - good ol' Shiggy likes guessing what things weigh, too. Unfortunately, that's slightly more difficult to pursue, since "you don't find scales all that commonly, which makes it very difficult to check the weights of objects."

And that's why they made the Wii Fit Plus, folks. So Shigeru Miyamoto can guess the weight of something at any time he wants to.

(Via CVG)

This is insane, those crazy crazy people, i like him

You have to be crazy to be creative!
The man is a genius.

The next big Nintendo hit is going to be "Wii Ruler", mark my words.

That picture is awesome beyond belief.

Interesting I guess, but, my god, that picture is awesome.
I mean, seriously. I'm in awe of this picture.

That's weird. But everyone has weird passions/hobbies (I pace for fun sometimes).

Heh, not surprising. I mean, we got Pikmin 'cause Miyamoto was gardening.

But he is indeed a very crazy, creative man.

Hmm, does this mean the next big title from him will involve measuring stuff?

It's Miyamoto, though, so I'm sure whatever he comes up with will be great, or at least a veritable gold mine for Nintendo. He's practically the company's golden goose at this point.

And yes, that picture is quite epic.

Just shows crazy people are very creative.

he's got a bad case of the crazies AND I LIKE IT is it ocd? cuz if it is OCD FOR THE WIN -goes and punches a skunk- WOOO OCD -goes and punches another skunk-

*must resist cock joke!*
That guy is strange.
But as long (oh god) as he makes good games, I've got nothing against his being a fucking neurotic psycho.

Radeonx:
Interesting I guess, but, my god, that picture is awesome.
I mean, seriously. I'm in awe of this picture.

me too when I first clicked the article I thought THAT IS AWESOME -saved-

good god hes gone insane

He only wants to know where the Great Fox could land

tk1989:
good god hes gone insane

GONE? He's been insane for a good while now, we just never knew to what degree.

Wasn't that picture of him from an E3?

I think between him, Hideo Kojima, and Suda 51, we can all derive one easy conclusion: Japanese game developers are crazy but in the good way known as "eccentric" that allows them to be creative while at the same time having personality quirks that seem strange to us but at the same time work as a benefit to them.

Never know when someone will ask you to figure out how tall they are...

Copy and save that picture somewhere folks. It'll be in history books someday.

And nothing left but to parrot everyone else now and say that he's pretty friggin' awesome.

Everyone loves good 'ol Shiggy and his loony-ness

This is possibly the most random and pointless piece of information I have accumilated today. Why do we need to know of his obsessions, anyway?

Oh wells, I guess we like to know EVERYTHING about our celebrities these days...

He's literally got more money then sense

Maybe he's applied the same logic and because Nintendo is so stupidly rich he's gone mad

...Awesome!

AceDiamond:
I think between him, Hideo Kojima, and Suda 51, we can all derive one easy conclusion: Japanese game developers are crazy but in the good way known as "eccentric" that allows them to be creative while at the same time having personality quirks that seem strange to us but at the same time work as a benefit to them.

I agree

I think Hideo Kojima is a mad genius for making the entire MGS storyline fit together

Well I guess you learn something new everyday which makes me wonder if he used to have a job at the carinval as one of those guy's who tries to guess your wegight or age in order to win a prize.

randommaster:

tk1989:
good god hes gone insane

GONE? He's been insane for a good while now, we just never knew to what degree.

Wasn't that picture of him from an E3?

E3 2004, to be exact. He was showing off what would later be known as The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in their keynote speech.

Miyamoto makes games out of things he loves doing...

Are we going to see a game based on measuring things with a tape measure soon?

It's nice to have a hobby.

This...explains a lot. But damn if his zaniness and eccentricities aren't pretty damn dope. But maybe that's how you come to be the "Walt Disney of electronic gaming", and father, what, six? Seven? Global hit series that people crave and long for the next installments of?

If that's what happens when you embrace your batty ways...then sign me up!

I guess it's not really a big deal but GOD is it funny to talk about on forums :D

Also the picture with Miyamoto and the Mario Bros. is win.

I bet you HE knows how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

whatever keeps him happy

Can someone please explain to me: Why exactly is this News Room-worthy?

LTK_70:
Can someone please explain to me: Why exactly is this News Room-worthy?

It's more relative than Lou Albano's death. It's a site dedicated to gaming culture, news, etc., and Miyamoto is the Buddha of Nintendo gaming, therefore, his every action must be reported.

Keep it up, Funky!

My only possible reaction:

Oh my god, what the FUCK? He's a loon!

But a game-making loon, and the one responsible for Zelda and Mario, at that. So I forgive him.

...Wait a minute, still WTF'ing over here.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here