Is Sony Supplying Futuristic Weapons to Terrorists?

Is Sony Supplying Futuristic Weapons to Terrorists?

In the latest "Dear Playstation" PS3 commercials starring Sony's Chief Weaponologist Kevin Butler, a shadowy secret organization seeks to acquire all of the futuristic weaponry in Ratchet & Clank's arsenal.

Have I mentioned I love the Kevin Butler PS3 ads? Okay, yeah, I have, but have I done it lately? These are the antithesis of the creepy PS3 ads of days of yore - they're clever, they're funny, and they present Sony's PS3 as a genuinely compelling and desirable product, rather than presenting it as something that would make your Rubik's Cube explode.

The first of these two new commercials features Butler as Sony's Chief Weaponologist, eagerly espousing the virtues of the new arsenal in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. Unfortunately, the arsenal gets the wrong sort of attention, leaving the normally sharp-witted Butler at an adorable loss of words.

The second commercial promotes Butler to VP of Epic Footage, in which he answers the question posed by a hypothetical brand-new PS3 owner: "So whatcha got?" Unlike the others, this is less amusing and creative banter, and more a clipshow. Admittedly, it's a damn cool-looking clipshow, with Killzone, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed - all of the "2" variety - among others looking very, very nice. But it doesn't quite have the wit of the other Kevin Butler commercials... though it may be worth it just for the Hair Metal bit at the end.

I do love these commercials. They're genuinely enjoyable to watch, and the character of Kevin Butler is a great one. Please keep him around, Sony. He's like the mascot that you always wanted since Crash Bandicoot.

(PS Blog)

"This Just In: President Obama has now announced a "War On Sony". Obama has admitted already working with General Microsoft and Admiral Nintendo. More info as this story develops."

I love these new PS3 ads.

I like the end of the second commercial with the guitar and crazy hair. Thats just comedy advertising at its best.

Psssh, We've got Jak and Daxter on our side

Woo! Montage!

That was hardcore!

Exclamation point!

If they are, then Sony is more awesome than I thought.

"Is Sony Supplying Futuristic Weapons to Terrorists?" Yeah, but don't worry, it's full of Sony DRM, so it wont work.

As much as I love these commercials...that montage was what three games? PS3 you have so much more then that.

I freely admit this is a 360 user. Playstation has some darn good games.

the second one was much bettre then the first

LOl at first one

I love the guys reaction in the second one "tight!"

I actually really like that second ad: "Two Words: Mon tage"! Classic.

Now if only they could get the voiceover guy to stop saying it costs "two ninetynine". As in 2.99. That's just getting my hopes up, really. :O

I wish Sony keeps this up for at least a year.

I laughed at the 2nd one.

Wakefield:
As much as I love these commercials...that montage was what three games? PS3 you have so much more then that.

They showed 9.

I love the first one... lol

"Yes... don't "exist"... We'll take all you got..."

That is exactly how I imagine a shadow government buying top secret super weapons would respond.

I have to say, Kevin Butler really has a huge range of jobs to do... and he's still able to be funny despite? He's like the heavenly opposite to Bobby "devil-on-earth" Kotick!

Brilliant, Kevin Butler is adorable. The only way Microsoft could challenge this is by using Murray Hewitt a la Flight of the Conchords as their salesman.

Thats a really clever ad.
Good job Sony!

I know I say this all the dang time, but sony was this really that hard?! Go to any advertising class at a college and you would find stuff much better than sony's original ads. Much better than whatever it was that sony used on release time. Finally they've got it figured out.

Sony's ads really are getting better. But then, it wasn't like their earlier ads were much competition. Anybody remember the laughing baby commercial for the PS3 at launch? That thing was scary as all hell!

Now that I think about it, the "Dear Playstation" commercials are very enjoyable.

Aqualung:
Brilliant, Kevin Butler is adorable. The only way Microsoft could challenge this is by using Murray Hewitt a la Flight of the Conchords as their salesman.

sadly when they try stuff like this it falls rather flat, they try too hard to be hip and cool

the commercials are really good, tho the second one has been around for a while already

CantFaketheFunk:

In the latest "Dear Playstation" PS3 commercials starring Sony's Chief Weaponologist Kevin Butler, a shadowy secret organization seeks to acquire all of the futuristic weaponry in Ratchet & Clank's arsenal.

Uh-oh.

These ads are really funny but the tagline is terrible. PS3 only does everything? Can it play my old N64 cartridges? Because I haven't played Goldeneye 007 in a while and want to play it again.

Whoooooooooooooah!

LOL LOL LOL at the first one!

Reminded me how much i luv ratchet and clank. its not like i need a very cool commercial to buy the game. . . but it is an amusing bonus:P

Also the dude`s expression at the end of the 2nd commercial...priceless xD

The montage one was a really good commercial. The other one was merely ok.

Still, more Kevin Butler is a good thing for Sony. I bet he'll become their "face", just how people associate Reggie and Miyamoto to Nintendo, and Molynuex/Gates to Microsoft. And that isn't a bad thing.

Definitely an improvement over the mad days. Still doesn't compel me to buy them though, I'm quite content with my 360, Wii and DS.

Another Kevin Butler commercial that made me laugh out loud. Ah, they finally got the marketing right.

i like the one with uncharted 2 and the gf who watches it cause she thinks its a movie...

I spotted three Assassin's Creed moments in that.

Sorry.

Oh Sony, how I wuv woo. Woov winally weelised wat woo weed weffective wadvertising.

Done.

The old Ratchet and Clank commercials where the kids screw around in their backyard are superior.

I love the new commercials too... And I don't even own a PS3...

The weapons ARE real! :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here