Leaked Modern Warfare 2 Opening Will Be Controversial

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Yeah, this is totally a publicity grab. We all know controversy worked great for Six Days in Fallujah!

Wait...

Oh really? This video is leaked?

I really find it hard to believe that all these developers keep leaking important information. It just seems so unlikely that this one specific clip would get out. It was probably "leaked" just to create controversy and draw more attention to the game.

Now I was not able to see the video before it was taken down. But based on the description of it, it sounds pretty gruesome. I'm fine with something like this being used in a game depending on how it is used. If this scene is a legitimate event that has a significant impact on the rest of the game, rather than something just tacked on to exploit controversy, then I have no problem with it.

A company grabs some headlines and boosts sales with a controversy. Then they low for a little while and everyone forgets them and just remembers the game. When it's all over Gaming's reputation as art, or at least a medium that doesn't always dissolve into murder simulators and sexmachines, is smeared by a dozen news outlets and we're left trying to defend our hobby. AGAIN.

I'd never blame Infinity Ward for being controversial until I play the game, maybe this has some context I don't get, but it sucks that this will play into CNN and Fox News' hands so well. What's Geoff Keighly supposed to say this time? You can defend Mass Effect, because they didn't even understand what they were angry about. Whose going to defend the images we just linked to? What context could really be needed? Infinity Ward created images of terrorists shooting innocent people in an air port, allowed the player to control the murder, and called that entertainment?

Again, not saying it's cut and dry, we don't have all the information. But Fox News doesn't care. CNN doesn't care. The protesting moms at my store don't care. Infinity Ward did this specifically to anger them.

and what do you know, you do die again... well, I guess my hunch was right...

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets a lot of controversy (if true) and I can sort of see why. I'm personally not offended but I doubt anyone can honestly tell me that playing a terrorist doesn't cross the line just a little bit. However, considering the themes of Modern Warfare it'll probably be used as a powerful anti-war statement. It's just a pity that at least some people will just think, "He he I'm a terrorist lol!"

I guess all I've really got to say is, good luck Australia.

Oh how I hope that is real.

Infinity Ward would officially have the biggest balls of any developer.

You'd be able to tell an IF employee at trade shows by the little cart wheeling around their massive testicles.

If this is real, imagine the emotional connection the game will make. Do you gun down the civilians, and in turn have a stronger desire to defeat them as the good guy? Or do you not gun down anyone, and in turn spend the rest of the game wondering if the man you just shot was someone who wasn't there by choice. If it's done well, it could be ridiculously good.

Wow... am I the only person that's uncomfortable in the least bit? I can't believe that this would be a part of the released game. I really, really hope that this is a fake. I think I might be ill. Its one thing to see someone doing this, its another thing entirely to do it and from a first person perspective, no less. Call me too sensitive but there is making an artistic statement and then there is being outright tasteless.

I can't lie, this really disturbs me at the same time, however, I can't help but applaud the studio for taking such a risk to really show the grizzly horror that is....well modern warfare. Sadly though I don't think I can play a game that has me gunning down civilians in an airport, call me a pansy if you will but a man has to have his limits.

In the first you were executed, and that gained no coverage despite being a pretty shocking thing (and of course, someone should think of the children!). Besides the only game that any media outlets have heard of is GTA.

http://www.gamedat.blogspot.com has the real sound to the game. how come you dont use that one.

stopcrying:
http://www.gamedat.blogspot.com has the real sound to the game. how come you dont use that one.

Well, I'd say that just about confirms these videos as legitimate.

KeyMaster45:
I can't lie, this really disturbs me at the same time, however, I can't help but applaud the studio for taking such a risk to really show the grizzly horror that is....well modern warfare. Sadly though I don't think I can play a game that has me gunning down civilians in an airport, call me a pansy if you will but a man has to have his limits.

Well if you are given control of the terrorist,(and from what I can tell from the vid, you are)you have the choice of firing your weapon or not. So if you're inclined to do so, you could play as that terrorist having second thoughts about his mission . . .

stopcrying:

They can't be embedded. Their player doesn't work here.

Terramax:
If it is true, Infinity Ward will have no-one to blame but themselves when some crazy American does shoot up a shopping mall and the media starts pointing the finger at them.

Couldn't they just blame the crazy American? And why an American anyway, what's up with that? Other countries have in fact spawned crazy people.

So let me get this straight. It is perfectly acceptable to watch people get killed in any number of horrific ways in a movie or on the news. It is OK to read about people being killed brutally in a book, but having it as part of a video game is somehow wrong?

A video game is an interactive story, nothing more.

this seems plausible as the actual fist mission.... in the 'reveal' trailer it showed russian police officers moving in on an airport with ballistics shields

I know it's evil and all, but I'm looking forward to shooting the civilians.

Russian_Assassin:
A game where I play a bad guy that kills innocent people? How refreshing! I sure have never seen or played a game like that before! (GTA, Prototype, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed, The Sims 3 Saint's Row, God Of War and a gazillion other games) "Angry person is angry >:@"

To be fair though, in most of those games you mentioned, it was an option to be a bad person and to kill innocents. It's your choice.

By the looks of this though, you have to kill them, or at the very least, watch innocent people die then fight your way out through the police/SWAT/whatever. This'll will be alot further outside people's comfort zones, even to some experienced gamers, like me, who's played all of those games you mentioned.
EDIT WITH HINDSIGHT: How wrong was I? What a bad game.

theApoc:
So let me get this straight. It is perfectly acceptable to watch people get killed in any number of horrific ways in a movie or on the news. It is OK to read about people being killed brutally in a book, but having it as part of a video game is somehow wrong?

A video game is an interactive story, nothing more.

Games are alot more personal, especially as it's a FPS, and you have a small degree of control over your actions.
It's not the same as killing in films, TV shows or books, but it's not wrong either.

W'ell , it will be fun watching the news and media go crazy and declare a witch hunt , but it looks bad on the image of gamers too .

rknight718:
Just speaking from the other side of the fence, but while this could indeed be the opening maybe you don't have any control? Like the car scene in the beginning of COD:MW? Instead of just looking around, you're in the body of a terrorist and you have to watch the horrible acts firsthand. I know it looks like someone is controlling the character but that COULD be pre-recorded. Just a thought.

You definitely have a good point.

CantFaketheFunk:

stopcrying:

They can't be embedded. Their player doesn't work here.

oh, i heard you can get a early copy. im checking that source now.

This is an interesting twist to the game but I personally think this is not that bad compared to stuff in films especially that scene in Rambo 4 where the village is attacked by the Burmese soldiers, that scene is much, much more worse than this. That made me more uncomfortable then this because the soldiers just kill children with out mercy but I could handle this and I'm only 14.

I

I think that's quite smart, actually. Letting you play as your enemy.

Also, the ringleader shooting you at the end tells you how ruthless he is. If shooting up an airport didn't.

Haven't read much of the comments, but you know what would make it more controversial? If children were in that scene, also being murdered. Everyone on the internet and their dog would know about it.

Wow...Infinity Ward balls must be so big they carry them around in a wheel barrel.

It is a very smart story device I have to say. I wonder how many people will refuse to shoot the civilians.

...Muh, probably not many *tucks into a raw kitten*

I'm no prude but I do have to wonder if this is really necessary.

WanderFreak:
Oh how I hope that is real.

Infinity Ward would officially have the biggest balls of any developer.

You'd be able to tell an IF employee at trade shows by the little cart wheeling around their massive testicles.

Damn! The big balls where spotted before me!

JeanLuc761:

antipunt:
I'm not at all saying that I'm correct or anything here, but...why do I feel this -has to be a hoax-. I mean, playing as a terrorist..gunning down innocent civilians? Though there are some who would find it fun, I doubt everyone would? I don't think I.W. would force anyone to do this against their own will; there are probably plenty of people who would just be downright uncomfortable with it.

Under the assumption this IS leaked footage of the real game, I can 100% guarantee you the entire point of this section is to make the player uncomfortable.

Maybe, actually. But even so, wouldn't that mean people would just walk around without shooting anyone?

THAT is how to start a videogame.

I find this scene really good actually, and see it as perfect if it is the opener. I'm kind of sick of 'morals' always needing to be super imposed into games, and like the idea that it goes grey to black really fast. On the other hand, I could see problems with a campaign of this.

Here's what I don't think people get. You don't have to shoot the innocent people if you don't want to. If you notice your "team" will do everything for you. So if you don't want to go through doing that part wait till the Swat teams show up and then it's back to the way it was and you can forget about the first half!

Sorry, I can't hear you over the dull thud of bodies hitting my bio-shield as I run down the sidewalk at 40mph.

I don't really see the issue. Myself (and many, many others) have gunned down countless unarmed, completely innocent civilians in games like GTA4. I know those games catch their fair share of bitching and controversy too but it's nothing new. Mabye because its for a cause (presumably)? Is playing mass murdering psychotic any better than playing a mass murdering terrorist?

jojoemon:

Terramax:
If it is true, Infinity Ward will have no-one to blame but themselves when some crazy American does shoot up a shopping mall and the media starts pointing the finger at them.

Couldn't they just blame the crazy American? And why an American anyway, what's up with that? Other countries have in fact spawned crazy people.

1.) They could blame the crazy American. But that won't sell as many papers.
2.) Stuff like this is expected in the US. When it happens in other countries, it isn't.

antipunt:

Maybe, actually. But even so, wouldn't that mean people would just walk around without shooting anyone?

How many people feel bad killing innocent passer-bys in GTA? Lets face it; the gamer is more often than not likely to shoot the innocents anyway. After all, you've bought a game where the emphasis is on killing people. Whether terrorists, aliens, animals, innocents, soldiers- when it boils down to it, the fact that you're playing a game where you're ripping someone's body to shreds without any attempt of peaceful negotiations is, arguably, immoral by any standards.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here