Leaked Modern Warfare 2 Opening Will Be Controversial

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Oh shit, oh shit, ohhhhh shitttttttttttttttttttttt.

This is gonna be awesome! This game is my NEW GOD. (Okay...My God, but still, point stands. xD)

Man, I WISH this wasn't coming out on my girlfriends b-day, GOD, IT'S GONNA BE SO GOOD.

(As you can tell, I love controversy ingames!)

Simalacrum:
ok, fighting in D.C? Yeah, not much of a controversy in that in my opinion, but frankly, I have a feeling Infinity Ward have taken it too far this time... sure, its still going to be a great game, but IW are risking getting they're game banned in a lot of places, particularly ultra-sensitive America.

We are allowes GTA, so this game will slide as well, I'm sure.

Wow, they pulled that video quick!

I can see the stories now:

"Spoiled Rotten Nine year old steals Daddy's gun and shoots hundreds of people in an airport."

Diga1994:

Russian_Assassin:
A game where I play a bad guy that kills innocent people? How refreshing! I sure have never seen or played a game like that before! (GTA, Prototype, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed, The Sims 3 Saint's Row, God Of War and a gazillion other games) "Angry person is angry >:@"

To be fair though, in most of those games you mentioned, it was an option to be a bad person and to kill innocents. It's your choice.

By the looks of this though, you have to kill them, or at the very least, watch innocent people die then fight your way out through the police/SWAT/whatever. This'll will be alot further outside people's comfort zones, even to some experienced gamers, like me, who's played all of those games you mentioned.

This doesn't necessarily mean that this level is an "awful" thing. It's very striking and I think it's a brave move by Infinity Ward (if it's real). But it will be a very different experience from those other games.

i'd be okay with it if you could actually shoot your 'team' mates in that bit, if not...then i simply don't think i'd WANT TO PLAY IT.
And i though SP would be fun, but this seems a bit too far for me.
AND it looks like a 1up on treyarch's Russian campaign bit of shooting the wounded nazis, but those were...nazis, its fine to slaughter them, but civvies...not so much, especially when your teased with control over the situation.

Wow, I can't believe everyone is so up in arms about this. It's a video-game, and while this part looks boring (the gameplay, anyhow), I can see that they're trying to tell a story. My guess is you're a CIA agent (or, more likely, a terrorist turned good) who is infiltrating the group, they find out and play along; until the end, when they kill you and the SWAT team comes to try and save you. You probably don't even have to fire a single bullet if you don't want to.

EDIT: Besides, none of this would ever be possible in real life, so little bobby isn't going to go crazy and take his daddy's M249 for a spin through the airport.

CantFaketheFunk:

ElephantGuts:
I'm...not really sure what to say to this. I mean, of course Infinity Ward and indeed any video game developer should be allowed to put whatever they want into their video game, as book and movie writers may. But I would say this is far over the line. I mean...it's appalling. Massacring innocent civilians is a horrible thing and something I honestly don't want to play out. Why Infinity Ward would decide to make such an event into a playable mission is beyond me.

Of course, that is assuming this is real and not a hoax. I think it very well may be. I can't imagine why a mainstream developer like Infinity Ward would feel compelled to include such a thing into their game, especially one that is highly popular, will be highly publicized, and will be played by many children. It's far different from a relatively niche game like Manhunt.

Considering the widespread criticism this mission would receive, and how much it would hurt IW, I think there's a high chance that this is a joke. I sort of hope it is. If it is, I would think we should get confirmation from IW soon enough. How long has this video been circulating?

ElephantGuts:
I'm...not really sure what to say to this. I mean, of course Infinity Ward and indeed any video game developer should be allowed to put whatever they want into their video game, as book and movie writers may. But I would say this is far over the line. I mean...it's appalling. Massacring innocent civilians is a horrible thing and something I honestly don't want to play out. Why Infinity Ward would decide to make such an event into a playable mission is beyond me.

Of course, that is assuming this is real and not a hoax. I think it very well may be. I can't imagine why a mainstream developer like Infinity Ward would feel compelled to include such a thing into their game, especially one that is highly popular, will be highly publicized, and will be played by many children. It's far different from a relatively niche game like Manhunt.

Considering the widespread criticism this mission would receive, and how much it would hurt IW, I think there's a high chance that this is a joke. I sort of hope it is. If it is, I would think we should get confirmation from IW soon enough. How long has this video been circulating?

Considering that some of the mirrors have apparently been taken down - which one would assume would be possible in the event of a copyright breach, but not "some guy's mod of the game," this does lend a bit more weight to the idea that it's real.

Plus John, notice how it fits PERFECTLY with thee scene in the new trailer, and the CGI FIRST trailer.

Do you see the dots?

This is going to get a lot of flack, but I doubt anyone will actuallyvdo anything. At least in te U.S., games rarely get banned. Sure, a lot of people will be pissed, but I highly doubt anyone will do anything than just bitch. I've done a lot worse in GTA and Saints Row.

"Video taken down due to copyright claim by activision"

Couldn't see it.

Personally, I think it's a nice addition to a game based on modern warfare. It takes it from being a generic game where you kill the baddies, to a game which really makes you think "Christ, this can actually be real.." Hopefully it'll stop a few kids getting this game as well, if this hits news networks, which it most probably will, then a few parents will be canceling their' child's pre-order pretty sharpish. But yeah, I personally thinks it's good, very chilling and nasty way to start a game, and that's how a game about war should be.. Chilling and nasty.

mokes310:
Wow, they pulled that video quick!

yeah :( Damn I'm annoyed

/

I am so getting this game, particularly before it gets banned or censored. While horrible, it's quite refreshing to play from the villains POV, particularly in such a graphic manner. Not the rather tame "He's a bad guy but only fights other bad guys" like HALO 2 did or a bad guy who never actually sees or participates in the worst his side engages in, so he can feel justified by his actions, but a no shit evil bad guy. The C&C and warcraft series have played with this, particularly in missions where you waste civilians(though the "Good" forces in the Generals series could cause a surprisingly huge amount of collateral damage).

If it's pulled off well, of course. If it's not, it'll just be a really disturbing and ill conceived level that won't justify the critical outrage.

rknight718:
Just speaking from the other side of the fence, but while this could indeed be the opening maybe you don't have any control? Like the car scene in the beginning of COD:MW? Instead of just looking around, you're in the body of a terrorist and you have to watch the horrible acts firsthand. I know it looks like someone is controlling the character but that COULD be pre-recorded. Just a thought.

That actually is a good thought but the character who u are playing as dies and respawns at one point in the video, and he has a compas and I cant remember what its called( the health meter and game time, theres a word for it I know.) are showing.

OT: its definately real but it looks like they might be forced to take it out of the game. I'm actually ashamed that I think it's pretty cool, seeing how Im american.

My hats off to IW. This just elevates what a game can do in storytelling. It's by far one of the most morally disturbing sequences I've seen in a game. No, scratch that. It is the most disturbing sequence I've seen in a video game. That's because this kind of thing that we all fear. The kind of thing that is the basis for this modern war on terror. Plus, it isn't like this kind of thing hasn't happened. Remember that huge shootout that happened in India last year where dozens of people were gunned down? It is supposed to elicit a strong emotional response against the antagonists of the story. Stories in games, for the most part, are pretty generic and only serve as an excuse to further the game along. But then you get a game like MW2 that just completely redefines what a story can do in a video game.

Who cares if there's outrage, it's not like they can get the game banned or anything.

But it does look like fun.

Diga1994:

theApoc:
So let me get this straight. It is perfectly acceptable to watch people get killed in any number of horrific ways in a movie or on the news. It is OK to read about people being killed brutally in a book, but having it as part of a video game is somehow wrong?

A video game is an interactive story, nothing more.

Games are alot more personal, especially as it's a FPS, and you have a small degree of control over your actions.
It's not the same as killing in films, TV shows or books, but it's not wrong either.

You make really good points bud. I'm still gonna get the game but what you said earlier about this being a little outside our comfort zone, I agree. Games like fallout our pure fiction, you have the choice to be evil but its in a slightly (for use of a better word)comical way. I think it would be acceptable if you aren't allowed to shoot at anyone and just watch. It is a ballsy and pretty mature move on IW's part, they must have known people would get mad. A little excuse for IW, you only shoot men, no women, no children.

if you want to see the videos were they never get taking down. go to http://www.gamedat.blogspot.com

This looks sick, I actually might get this game

I personally think this is a strong move for IW, you get to really see who you are fighting. How evil they are, how willing they are to kill innocents to further their cause. They could have done it simply by non-interactive scene like the first game, but they took it a step further.

There will be a reason for this scene, I bet he is a "plant" or someone who is undercover. But, we will see.

As for kids playing the game, that is not IW's fault. Parents can easily see the warning on the box.

Huzzah someone gets it!

And here I thought there was no way they could beat "Shock and Awe" from MW1. Silly me.

Nightfall2021:
I personally think this is a strong move for IW, you get to really see who you are fighting. How evil they are, how willing they are to kill innocents to further their cause. They could have done it simply by non-interactive scene like the first game, but they took it a step further.

There will be a reason for this scene, I bet he is a "plant" or someone who is undercover. But, we will see.

As for kids playing the game, that is not IW's fault. Parents can easily see the warning on the box.

Haha, that would make sense if he doesn't get heat shot at the end. xD (Hope I'm not spoiling anything, but it's in the vid...So yeah.)

A bold move on IW's part, if this is real. I've always detested how FPS games set in a somewhat modern era always involved you slaughtering hordes and hordes of a politically appropriate enemy to kill - zombie nazi aliens. But oh, the horror if you ever had to, you know, kill real people who believed in what they were fighting for just as much as you did.

Even though it's for entertainment, I think a war game of sorts which strikes a little closer to home and points out that killing people is killing people should be released every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I play violent games as much as the next fellow, but it's become pretty apparent that videogames are now beginning to cross over to the realm of art and storytelling much more easily nowadays, and that they should definitely be treated as such.

Tdc2182:
You make really good points bud.

:D

Tdc2182:
I think it would be acceptable if you aren't allowed to shoot at anyone and just watch.

Your suggestion would make it acceptable to more people. But just because it's a mainstream game doesn't mean it should have to be trying to please everyone, even if it's expected to.

Tdc2182:
A little excuse for IW, you only shoot men, no women, no children.

Just out of interest, why only men? I understand that children would be way too big of a step. But why not women? Why do men deserve to be shot more than women?

Game looks awesome.

As for controversy? Well, I know what I don't like, I don't buy.
Want to train as a terrorist? It's not happening on your xbox.

Watching the video my overwhelming thought was "What the FUCK are you THINKING Infinity Ward"

Don't get me wrong, I see the statement they're trying to make, and it's bold and admirable. "Modern war is ugly and savage, and not just entertaining shootouts." But...that can't really expect anyone in the mass media to understand what they're saying, can they? All that people are going to take away from this is that it's a terrorism sim where murdering innocents is a form of entertainment.

It wasn't the scene of storming an airport being programmed into the game that appalled me, it was the player voluntarily joining in and gunning down civilians as they were trying to crawl away. Because the game isn't MAKING kids into bad people...it's showing us that they already ARE. Maybe people will argue that it's just a game and not a reflection on the player to kill imaginary innocents for no other reason than wanting to shoot at something while moving through the level, but god...the game is designed for maximum immersion and realism. It's not the mindless, easy, stupid violence of GTA or Fallout; you're marching deliberately through an airport machinegunning people with all the indiscriminate prejudice of a highschool shooting. If that isn't some reflection on the player, what is?

Holy shit....

mechanixis:
If that isn't some reflection on the player, what is?

A mirror.

mechanixis:

It wasn't the scene of storming an airport being programmed into the game that appalled me, it was the player voluntarily joining in and gunning down civilians as they were trying to crawl away. Because the game isn't MAKING kids into bad people...it's showing us that they already ARE. Maybe people will argue that it's just a game and not a reflection on the player to kill imaginary innocents for no other reason than wanting to shoot at something while moving through the level, but god...the game is designed for maximum immersion and realism. It's not the mindless, easy, stupid violence of GTA or Fallout; you're marching deliberately through an airport machinegunning people with all the indiscriminate prejudice of a highschool shooting. If that isn't some reflection on the player, what is?

I think you're reading too much into it. A person's actions in a virtual environment does not necessarily mirror what tendencies he would have in real life, especially if he's aware that it is just a virtual world.

Add to that the fact that in the video, the player is put in the role of a terrorist; basically being told to act out the role. By shooting, the player is simply playing his part, acting out what he thinks a terrorist would do. Much like an actor in a movie role-playing a character.

Diga1994:

Tdc2182:
You make really good points bud.

:D

Tdc2182:
I think it would be acceptable if you aren't allowed to shoot at anyone and just watch.

Your suggestion would make it acceptable to more people. But just because it's a mainstream game doesn't mean it should have to be trying to please everyone, even if it's expected to.

Tdc2182:
A little excuse for IW, you only shoot men, no women, no children.

Just out of interest, why only men? I understand that children would be way too big of a step. But why not women? Why do men deserve to be shot more than women?

Im bad at ordering points like you do so I will be lazy.
2nd point.) To tell you the truth, although I do find it a little over the top, I think it was actaully pretty smart and a bold new move. It was interesting.

3rd point) I'm old fashion and find women and children the image of innocence. Its just my opinion and I do view it as destroying something delicate and precious. (I swear I'm not a sexist)

ermm

is it just me or are the vids on http://www.gamedat.blogspot.com been taken down as well =(

ps. this is the greatest thing to happen in a videogame. The fact is with the PHENOMENAL amount of press around MW2, IW have the chance to pretty much implement whatever they want, including a test of how fucked up gamers' moral compasses are.

I'm not reading or looking at this, though I'm taking a wild guess and saying that its pretty fucking cool. The opening video to COD4 was epic, I still watch it sometimes, 2years later, when I fire up that game.

It's a Russian airport and you don't play a terrorist, you're an undercover CIA agent. Sorry if this has been said. Didn't read the entire thread.

For more context, the guy who seemingly gives you the mission at the start of the video is speaking in french. Rough translation :

"... blah blah. Two men eliminated a whole base. I'm going to ask you to do even more. Yesterday you were a soldier on the front. But today, the front is over. Uniforms too. War is everywhere and there will be victims.

Makarov fights for himself and obeys no law. He has no limits, backs down from nothing. Torture, human traffic, genocide. He isn't guided by any ideal respects no flag, no country, he trades blood for money.

He's your new friend. I won't tell you what it cost to bring you next to him. It'll cost you a part of yourself. Which is nothing compared to everything you'll save."

[loading time?]

"God bless us." and "blah blah russian".

Holy shi-

I can't wait to play it. It seems very awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here