FarmVille Creates New Avenue for Videogame Pixel Artists

Pages 1 2 NEXT

FarmVille Creates New Avenue for Videogame Pixel Artists

Do not play FarmVille, ever, if you treasure your soul. Do, however, look at this pixel art.

The coolest thing at school nowadays is FarmVille, an addicting Facebook game that will make you hate yourself in real time. Do you have a desire to throw hours of your life directly into the toilet, and then to urinate all over them? Or maybe to become a souless husk that can only think about how to arrange a group of banana trees? Play FarmVille. We're all doing it, man.

FarmVille allows "players" (I'll leave the debate about whether FarmVille is actually a game or not for another day) to grow crops and design their own farms, placing fencing, animals, buildings, trees, and other objects. Interestingly enough, something pretty cool has come out of FarmVille's design: the ability to create pixel art. There are a variety of colors of hay that can be used as uniform pixels, and some FarmVille users have created a selection of decent videogame-related art doing so. It does not excuse the devil's creation of FarmVille, but I still must acknowledge that this art exists.

Mario is a given for any form of pixel art, as we can see in the photo accompanying this post, in addition to this version of Mario before he eats a mushroom. Someone even made the rare Tanooki Mario. From other 8-bit titles, people have done Final Fantasy's White Mage, Metroid's Samus, a large Donkey Kong, an Excite-biker, and The Legend of Zelda's Link. And, did you know that Sonic and Knuckles fell in love through FarmVille? Now you do.

To see the entire album of videogame-inspired FarmVille pixel art, visit this photo album. Videogames are not the only subject matter covered in FarmVille; someone has even done the Mona Lisa, which just seems like all sorts of wrong.

In closing, I want to recommend that nobody ever play FarmVille, even at the threat of their own life. The release of death is likely much sweeter than planting a full screen of daffodils day after day. I have to go throw up now, my coffee crop is ready for harvest.

Sounds like someone really depsises FarmVille......and I agree.

Mind you, it's about time someone found a use for this other than it eating your life.

Ah yes, Farmville...in comparison to that, I could almost view my time playing WoW as being as productive as acing an interview for a 40k a year job. Almost.

Good to see a productive use for Farmville though!

you just reminded me of my crops! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! they're all dead. *sniffle*

I saw my brother playing that game the other day and just shook my head. Glad to see that someone found another use for it.

YOU FOOL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

If even I am tempted to start playing this, obviously your pleas of restraint are not going to be enough!

I already know what piece of art I'm going to make, too, but I'm not telling anyone otherwise they'll steal my idea.

I just posted this on Facebook.

Yes, I see the irony, thank you

Wow, Facebook's ripping off Harvest Moon now? Weird. At least they're not claiming this is a 'brand new revolutionary idea.'

And that pixel art certainly is pretty! Though I pity the poor souls that made them.

Im ashamed to admit this but my dad plays this, he competes with his girlfriend. She was beating him so he changed her password for a while. So yes, Ashamed.

SirBryghtside:
That art was pretty awesome.

There was this wierd fat Link - is this from a game, or just bad art?

"That is awesome, is what that is!" The Zelda nerd said with a smile upon his face

I recently got dragged into this myself. Though now I have a goal I can work for. Wouldn't of thought of that myself.(Doesn't help that I only know of one hay bale color from my brothers OCD exp farming...)

Hey, Farmville is a nice little game to play around with once in a while :S

Pretty cool stuff, though, people will always find the most obscure thing to do with things that were never meant to be used that way.

The link was sweet but, the Sonic and Knuckles............hopefully im just interperting wrong.(i hope so.)

How is FarmVille addictive? I played it for four days and got utterly utterly utterly bored of it. Even at the second day I was playing it for the sake of ... I don't know, nothingtodoness. The finishing blow which made me quit that bloody thing was when I planted 50 strawberries and forgot to harvest them at the right time... is there something wrong with me, I cant seem to be able to get addicted to anything. Seriously, not WoW, not peggle, not bejewled, not even smoking.

Great art anyway. Loving pixel art more and more lately.

ErGo:
How is FarmVille addictive? I played it for four days and got utterly utterly utterly bored of it. Even at the second day I was playing it for the sake of ... I don't know, nothingtodoness. The finishing blow which made me quit that bloody thing was when I planted 50 strawberries and forgot to harvest them at the right time... is there something wrong with me, I cant seem to be able to get addicted to anything. Seriously, not WoW, not peggle, not bejewled, not even smoking.

Great art anyway. Loving pixel art more and more lately.

It's something about working up to achieve that next object that you can show off to all of your Facebook friends, similar to raiding for that next piece of equipment in WoW. I started because of my girlfriend though, so my playing it comes from her. She's spent actual money on it, taking that next step down into another level of hell. I guess I enjoyed designing my farm, and writing "Poo," "Ass," and "Fart" in hay, but now that I'm done with that I'll probably quit soon.

Oh, FarmVille. I do have a farm, I never do anything with it.

I REALLY hope I am interpreting the sonic and knuckles picture wrong...

the people I know who play FarmVille don't own their own video game consoles or have a gaming pc so...idk
I'll pass...I'll feel bad enough when I think about how many hours of my life has already been devoted to gaming and traveling

300lb. Samoan:

If even I am tempted to start playing this, obviously your pleas of restraint are not going to be enough!

I already know what piece of art I'm going to make, too, but I'm not telling anyone otherwise they'll steal my idea.

Pac-man?

OP: That just seems like a waste of time.

wouldyoukindly99:

300lb. Samoan:

Pac-man?

OP: That just seems like a waste of time.

Nope, not pac-man. Not video game related.

Waste of time? Farmville is a waste of time. It's even a waste of time for people who don't play it, because they have to wade thru all the damn messages it randomly sends out to people you know.

So now I've spent an hour making a pixelized version of my subject, and I've determined that I'll need 40125 coins to purchase all the hay it'll take to make this bastard. So I'm going to have to start harvesting shit like everyday for the next couple weeks. Thanks a lot OP, now I'm gonna drop out of college.

I used to play Farmville...after being disconnected from the server for the umpteenth time and losing all of the work I just did, I quit.

Yo editors, "addicitng"? <-- spell check pz! :)

it may not be perfect but this is my awesome face farm =D

FarmVille makes me weep for humanity. I used to... "play" it, but then I realized what I was doing.

Farmville is only popular because it's on Facebook. And only retards, sheep and peer-pressure victims use Facebook.

It speaks for itself, really. Case closed :)

My mum and sister are both addicted to FarmVille. I suddenly understand what it's like listening to me talk about games. It's fucking boring.

How can people do this stuff?

I hate Farmvilee so much. But at least some good has come of it. Albeit very little..

I enjoy Farmville exactly because it's Harvest Moon lite. Don't have to worry about watering, your livestock never gets unhappy...you don't even have to pick up your pup every day. So I can pop in, do something for five minutes, and leave. Quite relaxing, really.

That said, if I never touched it again, I wouldn't really care all that much.

skribb:
Farmville is only popular because it's on Facebook. And only retards, sheep and peer-pressure victims use Facebook.

It speaks for itself, really. Case closed :)

It's POWERFUL peer pressure, though. REALLY powerful. But still I hold firm. I just RSS my real blogs onto my Twitter and tell people to go follow that (so I have a Twitter that doesn't suck!)

Susan Arendt:
I enjoy Farmville exactly because it's Harvest Moon lite. Don't have to worry about watering, your livestock never gets unhappy...you don't even have to pick up your pup every day. So I can pop in, do something for five minutes, and leave. Quite relaxing, really.

See that's why I enjoy it as well, plus the new |Harvest Moons are pissing me off so this is a nice change, go to college, go to work, come home spend ten minutes on it and it's calming

I love you Tom, so I shall post this article on how you despise FarmVille onto Facebook.

Susan Arendt:

Oh yeah? Have you ever tried quitting it? I have. Cold turkey is not the way to go.

It starts as a gnawing doubt. Your crops are withering. Your cows are near-bursting with milk. All that money, and you're just throwing it away because you can't be bothered to check on the farm.

Then the cold sweat begins. Maybe if you just log in to see if... NO! The rejection of FarmVille must be absolute! Not even one moment of weakness.

Sleepless nights are broken only be intermittent naps. The shortest of dreams are horrifying creations - crazed ducks, overflowing with feathers. Monstrous turtles, atop kingly mountains of eggs. The festering calves, abandoned by the bull that sired them, crawling aimlessly towards you.

Your Facebook news feed mocks you! Your friends offer free gifts and abandoned animals! All yours for the taking! But you know that one click will draw you back into the agrarian vortex from which you so narrowly escaped!

Finally, the truth becomes clear. You must delete the application from your profile entirely. A drastic, last-ditch contingency, but one that must be made boldly and confidently. Carefully, but without wavering, you begin to move your mouse towards the "Applications" menu. Soon, there will be no turning back.

Something catches your eye. A notice in your news feed, that you missed before! FarmVille offering new holiday items? Only available for a limited time? The darkest hour. You realize that if you don't act now, those items will never be attainable again! Without pause, you quickly hit the bookmarked piece of corn at the bottom of your screen.

After a brief loading screen, you are back in the sweet agricultural embrace of your farm. Holiday items abound. You pick up the fetid remains of your sunflower crops and begin anew. A fresh dawn is coming. Maybe you'll send out a few gifts to your friends after you finish planting the new crops...

At least, that was my experience. Other results may vary.

EDIT: Predictably, I only noticed what an atrocious necro of a thread this was after I finished typing this up. *sigh*

That image is awesome and im ashamed to admit i play that game and my farm is 24 x 24...i must also reap my poinsettas.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here