Unboxing Modern Warfare 2's Prestige Edition

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Unboxing Modern Warfare 2's Prestige Edition

Has a deficit of cash or a surplus of common sense prevented you from springing for Modern Warfare 2's Prestige Edition? Then experience it vicariously through these unboxing photos.

There's a good chance that you've already purchased your copy of Modern Warfare 2, and unless you're a stalker-in-the-making or a rabid Infinity Ward fanboy, it probably wasn't the $150 Prestige Edition, which ups the ante on the $80 Hardened Edition by adding a fully functional pair of night-vision goggles and a stand to hold them while you're not busy skulking around in the middle of the night. So when we received a couple copies of the Prestige Edition this morning, we took it as an opportunity to show the less "prestigious" among us what they were - or weren't - missing. (Expect our full review of both the game's single-player and multiplayer components next Tuesday.)

First up: the case. Inside the Prestige Edition is a copy of the Hardened Edition of Modern Warfare 2, which includes a fancy tin containing the game disc and a 33-page art book for fans to pore over. Sure, it's not exactly Okami or Ico material, but if you wanted to know why they decided to tweak the contours of the MP5 in MW2, Behind the Lines: The Art of MW2 should provide some insight.

Next, there's a plastic stand to assemble from four distinct pieces. Or rather, there should be four distinct piece - my plastic head came with two right sides, so I wasn't able to assemble it as intended. Anybody get two left sides in their copy? Maybe we can swap.

No matter. People don't buy the Prestige Edition for a crappy plastic head; they buy it for the goggles. And I'm quite happy - and, frankly, surprised - to report that they're actually pretty effective. After gingerly removing them from their packaging and scrounging up five AA batteries (not included), we turned off the lights and powered them on. Minor disappointment: They don't make that signature infrared "whine" when you flick the switch. In fact, they're totally silent, which is more practical but slightly less cool.

Aside from that, they work pretty much as expected. There are three toggles on the top left side of the goggles: an on/off switch, a switch that lets you choose between a black-and-white or green filter (go with green - it's more authentic), and a switch that turns on a ring of red LEDs at the front of the goggles, which sharpens the image but also gives away your position to anyone in the vicinity.

So, is the Prestige Edition worth the $90 premium over the standard retail copy of Modern Warfare 2? If you've always wanted the ability to see in the dark, I'm going to say "yes." A quick Google search informs me that a pair of standalone night vision goggles costs anywhere from $135 to $2,800, and while the pair that comes with the Prestige Edition seems liable to fall apart at the first sign of a combat situation, they seem perfectly useful for things like getting the mail at 2 a.m. without using a flashlight, or watching your roommate while she sleeps. Just make sure to disengage those red LEDs to avoid any awkward conversations the next morning.

So you have 2 "right-halves" of Soaps head?! HAHAHAA....

Oh...and the nightvision sounds cool...but 5 AA batteries?! I'd rather save that stuff for the game controllers...

Dunno if I'd ever bother with special editions, even if I made shitloads of money. I can't imagine myself having genuine appreciation for the extra trinkets I'd get.

Want... Very much want...

But I've already got my bog-standard copy, so that'll have to do ;)

But will you use them? Ever? Really? The first few weeks, sure. After that? They'll be collecting dust.

fricking genius... I've always thought that the only thing that could make a game better is night vision!

Although to be fair, they'll just be a cheap replica of night vision goggles.

I envy you, but alas I am poor until next week.

Next halloween is going to be fun...

im a bit of cheap skate so i didnt splash out this.... but i still did get the game for 25 at my local sainsburys (rather than the rrp of 54:99 of other shops) and for whatever reason sainsburys had a wee basket full of cardboard 3D glasses lying at the check outs to take for free....... so whether my eyewear rivals yours though is up for debate haha

Nice, I would love a pair of night-vision goggles. They look heavy though, were they?

Cargando:
Nice, I would love a pair of night-vision goggles. They look heavy though, were they?

No, they're pretty light - I wouldn't want to find out what happened if you dropped them. Still, for a kid that used to dress up in fatigues and play "army" in his backyard, they're pretty slick.

Jordan Deam:
they seem perfectly useful for things like getting the mail at 2 a.m. without using a flashlight, or watching your roommate while she sleeps.

Don't even think about it!

The goggles are freaking awesome. I tried them out last night and you get a pretty good range on them.

I dunno. I think I'd have difficultly fitting them over my Mjolner Cosplay Armor.

yeah it ' s cool but there is one problem i 've noticed ... i picked up the game today ... the official release date ... and there are people already ranked high and the score says they have played 2 days already ... that ain't right ... that would mean some stores sold the game early

XDUCK:
yeah it ' s cool but there is one problem i 've noticed ... i picked up the game today ... the official release date ... and there are people already ranked high and the score says they have played 2 days already ... that ain't right ... that would mean some stores sold the game early

yea, nov. 9 some stores [gestapo, aka Gamestop] broke the street date. not to mention the first thing people do is find ways to boost their ranks.

I swear, they better not have Cage Fights in MW2, that was stupid in CoD4.

XDUCK:

did you not see the newspost about the street date being broken yesterday?

If I got two left sides of Soap's head, I would say awesome and put it up as art. I think it would look better than a whole head of Soap with a big seam down the middle. And the night goggles actually work? No wonder Activision tacked on ten extra dollars to the regular retail. I think we can expect a fair number of those to already be busted by over-eager 13 year olds(or the maturity equivalent).

ckeymel:

Jordan Deam:
they seem perfectly useful for things like getting the mail at 2 a.m. without using a flashlight, or watching your roommate while she sleeps.

<fixed the quote for ya!>

Don't even think about it!

I was just thinking of the nightmares that would give the female roomie, waking up in the middle of the night, and seeing little red lights hovering over her with some weird grunting noise accompaniment.

I know it's just the stand, but I think that's quite an oversight to be releasing such a high profile product with a dodgy piece. Were they even paying attention when they were packing the boxes?

Otherwise the goggles do look pretty cool. Probably not worth the expense for me though. I'd probably wear them around for the next few days and then get over the novelty, and never wear them again.

i will have nightmares about the double right head forever.

the goggles dont look very stealthy, can you even get some that are no bigger than your average snow goggles?

you might want to check the prices on the night vision goggles again, actual nvgs range in price from $300 (for a very crappy gen1 pair) to over $10k (for gen4's). cheapest GOOD gen1's ive seen is $500, with good gen2's not going for less than $1500 and gen3's going for $2500-$6000 for a good pair.

these kind of nvgs, while they work well, have no ability to amplify ambient light, they are entirely dependent on an led that sits inside the goggles, which is why they are so cheap compared to other ones. when that led burns out you might as well throw these away because they will be useless. still, for those who would like a pair but dont have the money to spend on traditional ones their still very good.

personally, seeing as i have an $800 pair of gen1 nvgs (and the fact that the prestige edition isnt available for the pc version), and the fact that i have no interest in mw2, im not that interested in it, was really just interested to see if these things actually worked.

just one point of caution to those who did pick this up: be very careful when using these outside at night, especially if you have the front led's on. if a neighbor catches you and calls the cops youll be in pretty big trouble, trust me on that.

Screw you...

Anyway.I wish i could have gotten the prestige edition.Just so i can say "I have a pair of night vision goggles.Not you nya nya nyana.".I felt a little dead inside after i wrote that.

interesting

CoD6 MW2 is not Battlefield 2. you must remember that when you even think of giving it a rating, and downrate it one because it cant compare in multiplayer.

reason: CoD6 is a FPS that tries to break the Zeroth rule: good singleplayer and good Multiplayer are 2 completely opposite things that totally despise each other, and can not exist in one package.

Orange box excluded, as its 5 games, not 1

Peachfuzz1000:
im a bit of cheap skate so i didnt splash out this.... but i still did get the game for 25 at my local sainsburys (rather than the rrp of 54:99 of other shops) and for whatever reason sainsburys had a wee basket full of cardboard 3D glasses lying at the check outs to take for free....... so whether my eyewear rivals yours though is up for debate haha

I think those 3D glasses are for some thing Derren Brown is doing later this month.

Your avatar is perfect.

I was originally going to get the standard version (when I went to pre-order they basically said I'd have to do horrible, horrible things to get a Prestige) but when I went to the midnight open while everyone was in line one of the staff kept going back and forth showing off some stuff they had on sale, mentioning to people they had a few extra Prestige editions open. They'd used them to demo the goggles to the people in line, so the trade-off was you got an open box, but a good $40 off. So I figured what the hell, I could use night vision goggles.

A co-worker who I picked up a copy for gave me a lift home, and we stopped on the way in a dark parking lot at the side of the road and were running around trying it on.

In retrospect we probably looked somewhat suspicious.

Jordan Deam:

Cargando:

No, they're pretty light - I wouldn't want to find out what happened if you dropped them. Still, for a kid that used to dress up in fatigues and play "army" in his backyard, they're pretty slick.

They fuck with your depth perception though don't they?

Its kind of interesting that they can call them Nightvision goggles when all they did was take the IR filter out of an average digital camera, and put in some IR LEDs.

Don't you mean two left sides of a head? Seeing as the head itself works on the basis of eyes at the front. In which case you need two right sides.

I lol'd at the Head...still wouldnt get them since i would hardly use the NVGs anyway! (I am one of very few people that sleep at night)

I got the regular MW2 but with my shiny new 250GB 360.

And the prestige edition is the reason that I now carry around a very bright flashlight. If you skulk near me and I find you, you get to be blind.

The nightvision goggles I just found out you can buy for 50 bucks at Toysrus, it's made by Jakks Pacific, the same company that makes another night vision toy (the toy being the one you can buy at Toysrus).

http://kotaku.com/5401708/bright-eyes-mw2-night-vision-goggle-impressions

I wish I'd pre-ordered.

Also... the guy in the last pic is really hot.

Just sayin'.

At least with the nightvision goggles you can attempt to sneak back into the store you bought it from at night and get your money back.

Fasckira:
At least with the nightvision goggles you can attempt to sneak back into the store you bought it from at night and get your money back.

Haha I can see that

"Hey...is that some jackass wearing crappy Night Vision Goggles trying to break into gamestop?"

"Yeah, if there weren't cameras and alarms and stuff it might actually work...except those bright red lights. Dead Giveaway"

i still havent got MW2, dont really care tbh, altho the amount of it in shops is driving me nuts, cant get any game but MW2 now...

here in the UK I found the hardened edition for 90...so its not quite $80 here :P

i never even saw a prestige edition but i hope it wasnt cause they sold out...man IW and acti are gonnabe rolling in money for years and years...acti will now dominate the gaming industry further and were all doomed!

I'd rather shell out some money for real night vision goggles that don't look like you have an huge camera strapped to your face.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here