Zynga CEO Admits to Being a Scammer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Cid SilverWing:
Why didn't he get sued for this?

Because I'm pretty sure all of it is legal. Not ethical but legal.
But yeah, I salute you Mark Pincus, son of corporate America.

So he basically put viruses in the games? How is he not being persecuted for this?

well, he's honest at least. Taking the Bobby Kotick approach of, "yeah I'm a jerk, I don't care. Nothing you can do about it.".

Read the fine print on those games. It says they take your information.

They are extremely obvious, and who would be foolish enough to put insurance details in?

I KNEW IT!

I knew those "games" were made of evil.

The guy didnt have to build the games, the people didn't have to play them. They all volunteered their information in exchange for playing the games.

The aim is to make profit. There isn't really any other way to do that on facebook aside from data collecting and getting people to sign up for other services.

HG131:
I support that "any means necessary" attitude. Why? Because too many people are too afraid to do anything.

I agree. Anyone else read Jennifer Government and think "That sounds good by me"?

The best way to make money is from stupid people.

But really there is a real lack of consumer protection in the digital world.

Flos:

LeonHellsvite:
I may sound cold but people falling for those scams get what they deserve a lot of them were very obvious, though on that scale he should also have more than a slap on the wrists

Wouldn't you trust a game that Facebook endorses? I mean, you trust Facebook with personal pictures and friends and possibly personal information. It doesn't seem too far a stretch that one would expect Facebook to not allow scammers to profit from their website.

But I guess you'd be wroooooooooooooooooong.

I don't trust facebook at all

This story is really humorous to me especially when another person was swearing how what they were doing was not scamming folk. See: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95894-Blogger-Says-Farmville-Ads-are-Scams

Also, the reason they are not being sued, is because they didn't exactly do anything illegal. People didn't read the fine print about what was going to happen when they downloaded or installed or signed up for whatever the offer was. Questionable, yes... Ethical, not in my opinion, illegal.... not that I can see..

maddawg IAJI:
Well, that is definitly a dirty marketing campaign right there. Granted he succeded, but whatever happened to your parents saying "Hard Work and Dedication" are the keys to success.

Yup. I mean really...who plays fair anymore? NOBODY. That's who.

Besides, since when was marketing anything but sneaky, underhanded, etc, etc. hmmm?

People fell for those?

Dusty Pancakes:

3. Never believe the free offers -- they never are.

any economics teacher can tell you this.

they will laugh at you if you try to claim there are free things in life. there are no exceptions.

also, Im pretty sure people knew Farmville was a scam, but lets try to get Evony to admit that it is one and then we can calibrate.

A CEO who only has his best interests at heart. Come on, why is this so shocking?

After hearing this bullshit, I want to kick the shit out of the guy.

Wow, felt like we were back in the Hall of Doom, with Luthor bragging about his new scheme to scam people of money. This is true evil folks, and scamming anyone has no excuse.

Hah! I knew Farmville was evil! Vindication at last!

He sounds like a pretty cool guy. Be a predator and tear some guts!

Although I'd expect at least a hundred lawsuits zooming on him by now.

Proof that Barnum's Maxim is alive and well and a great profit driver.

I mean, it's Facebook, fercryinoutloud. I can't blame Pincus and the Brain for this one.

Cid SilverWing:
Why didn't he get sued for this?

I'm waiting with my fingers crossed.

Yeah, I've played both Farmville and Mafia Wars and never spent a penny on it. I take pride in this.

I play Mafia Wars and Vampire Wars along with countless other apps on facebook(most of which have offers that reward you with more point, coins, tokens ect) and I admit sometimes Im in a situation where i want more favor points(or what ever they're called) but Im never so desperate for said points that I try to complete the "offers" that are obviously scams.

This guy is scum. He should not be allowed to walk around freely, he should be locked up. To assholes like him, other people's hard-earned money is just "revenues".

Of course, some people seem to have this weird "if other people are stupid I should be allowed to committ crimes against them" attitude, so he gets away with it and some people even admire him for it. The fact is though, that we were all stupid once because life is a learning process, and learning by mistakes is how people learn. It shouldn't make profiting off mistakes legal though.

Leroy Frederick:
Yes, X Factor sucks too and gets worster with every iteration and is filled with annoying people, that's TV nowadays. Long live the internet.

Hey, not all TV is like that. As long as Ninja Warrior exists, there will always be hope.

maddawg IAJI:
Well, that is definitly a dirty marketing campaign right there. Granted he succeded, but whatever happened to your parents saying "Hard Work and Dedication" are the keys to success.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what he did didn't involve hard work to be honest. Or at least hard work within the sphere he was operating in. I mean he had to get games that people were interested enough in to want the additional benefits for, then he had to get the scammers on board and to work with his infrastructure. While he says a lot of his investers were friends of his, he still had to work all of those deals, and keep them on board. Not to mention watching his back to make sure he kept all the control he mentioned (stocks, etc...).

I'm not going to knock him for lack of effort. Though I suppose I do agree with you in spirit. While it's always been true that the best way to get ahead is to have an angle, I think our society is becoming stratified enough where it's rapidly becoming the ONLY way to get ahead.

What gets me though is that they guy was nailed as a scammer and nothing much is going to happen to him as a result of being caught, to the point where he can sit there with a mic and go on and on about how cool he is for being able to make a bundle messing with people.

The part that gets me is that there needs to be some responsibility in all of this. Him getting away more or less clean just encourages people to do the same thing. To some extent I can respect the risk he took, but it's the whole old saying "don't stick it out unless your willing to lose it". The more people are able to avoid having to face repercussions for what they've done, the worse things are going to get.

Basically if there is no legal way to nail this guy right now, that's a good sign that someone needs to sit down and come up with laws to nail people in situations like this and have them stick.

LOL! thats funny. its like Bonza Buddy. Just constantly Dling new "friends" lol.

Just another reason i don't have a facebook account.

yay mafiawars founder

PINKY IS EEEEEVVVVIIIILLLL!!!

Check out this video from newsy.com about the farmville scam http://www.newsy.com/videos/facebook_application_farmville_faces_scam

HardRockSamurai:
A company that makes multiplayer facebook games admits to being a SCAMMER?

That's like if a lobster admitted that it has pincers, or if a shoe admitted that it was a shoe.

lol
exactley

how about a grizzly bear saying it has a furry ass

I wonder how my Farmville-addicted friends would react to this.

Therumancer:

maddawg IAJI:

Well, I'm not entirely sure what he did didn't involve hard work to be honest. Or at least hard work within the sphere he was operating in. I mean he had to get games that people were interested enough in to want the additional benefits for, then he had to get the scammers on board and to work with his infrastructure. While he says a lot of his investers were friends of his, he still had to work all of those deals, and keep them on board. Not to mention watching his back to make sure he kept all the control he mentioned (stocks, etc...).

I'm not going to knock him for lack of effort. Though I suppose I do agree with you in spirit. While it's always been true that the best way to get ahead is to have an angle, I think our society is becoming stratified enough where it's rapidly becoming the ONLY way to get ahead.

What gets me though is that they guy was nailed as a scammer and nothing much is going to happen to him as a result of being caught, to the point where he can sit there with a mic and go on and on about how cool he is for being able to make a bundle messing with people.

The part that gets me is that there needs to be some responsibility in all of this. Him getting away more or less clean just encourages people to do the same thing. To some extent I can respect the risk he took, but it's the whole old saying "don't stick it out unless your willing to lose it". The more people are able to avoid having to face repercussions for what they've done, the worse things are going to get.

Basically if there is no legal way to nail this guy right now, that's a good sign that someone needs to sit down and come up with laws to nail people in situations like this and have them stick.

Lots of things take "hard work". Nigerian email scams take "hard work". Organised crime takes "hard work". Walling in an entire suburb and then going to every house and killing all the inhabitants one by one is "hard work". Sourcing the material for, then building and planting an IED is "hard work". Just because something is a lot of effort doesn't make it automatically something to be admired.

Listen to that fuckhead bleating on in the video about "I control my own company now". If I saw him in the street I wouldn't even talk to him, I'd just walk up, smack him in the mouth and let him figure out on his own what it was all about later. Fortunately for him he's got such an ugly, boring face I'm not likely to remember his appearance beyond the next five minutes so the chances of that happening are nil. I guess I'll just have to settle for linking everyone I know to this article instead.

This guy's my hero.
On a side note, it's probably one of those legal scams, and not covered by the law because the user signed a contract that they should've read.
I think scamming is one of my favorite crimes, it's like a puzzle, you have to figure out how to dope the person and I don't feel bad, because they were stupid enough to fall for it. I should try it someday...

HG131:
I support that "any means necessary" attitude. Why? Because too many people are too afraid to do anything.

If you only were my friend and lived here in sweden I would finaly have someone to start up a business whit...

OT: mr Pincus did the rigt thing. its a bitch to get investors if you havent had a sucsesful buisiness before and I dont think the bank will lend you any money if your idea is a facebook game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here