Modern Warfare 2 Kicks UK Sales Record's Ass

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Modern Warfare 2 Kicks UK Sales Record's Ass

Modern Warfare 2 was in the UK to kick ass and drink tea, and apparently, the UK was all out of tea - MW2 smashed the single-day sales records by a staggering amount.

Yes, yes, we all know that CoD Mewtwo has more than its share of controversy surrounding the title, but that hasn't stopped the game from being bigger than sliced bread. Here in the States, it was GameStop's most pre-ordered game of all time, and while our tea-sipping cousins across the Atlantic might not like manly gunfights in real life as much as we do, they were still looking forward to MW2 quite a bit.

Okay, perhaps more than quite a bit: The Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA) has announced that MW2's "astonishing" day-one performance has effortlessly set a new record for most copies of a game sold in a 24-hour period.

I don't mean to simply say that "MW2 sold really well," either. Not only did MW2 easily break the record set by Grand Theft Auto IV back in April '08, as John Romero would say, it bent the record over and soundly made it its bitch. GTA4 sold an estimated 631,000 copies in 24 hours, which is certainly impressive, but Infinity Ward's shooter fell the tiniest bit short of doubling it, selling 1.23 million units in just a day. Oh, and it earned an estimated 47 million ($78.3 million) in first-day sales.

"These first day sales figures are astonishing and clear evidence that video games are now mainstream in the UK," said ELSPA's Director General Michael Rawlinson. "...interactive entertainment has completely come of age."

It's such a feat that it's almost hard to wrap my head around. GTA4 was huge, but MW2 sold twice as many copies in the same amount of time. It's really, really mindboggling if you think about it too much - which I advise you not to.

Our UK readers will have to pardon me, as my Brit-slang is rusty: What's British for "holy crap"?

(Via Joystiq)

Uh?????? Why is there a picture of Snatcher on there?

At the Gamestation by me, they made 6500 in an hour at the midnight launch, so this news hardly surprises me.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Because she enjoys pwning n00bs, duh.

Say hello to your new price tag on Activision games UK ^^

This is just mind bending.

Oh by the way... British speak for "Holy crap" is "Oh my!".

CantFaketheFunk:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Because she enjoys pwning n00bs, duh.

And that she is awesome, you can't forget her Capitalist awesomeomity.

CantFaketheFunk:
Our UK readers will have to pardon me, as my Brit-slang is rusty: What's British for "holy crap"?

I can tell you the swearing way, or i can tell you the non swearing way

go with "bloody hell", that works :P

mikecoulter:
This is just mind bending.

Oh by the way... British speak for "Holy crap" is "Oh my!".

Or that, that works also, britain has many different ways of expressing our excitement.

Littaly:

You realise we all paid about 20-30 for it right?

we paid almost nothing for that game, i'm getting my copy delivered tomorrow, its so cheap over here!

"holy shit"
not that surprised frankly

Anyone have the numbers for world wide first day sales? - did it beat WoW RotLK?

CantFaketheFunk:

"Cor blimey", if you think we all sound cockney.

On my list of Xbox Live friends there was a never-ending line of people with the game. I guess in the face of extortion we just buy more, though I've seen low-priced versions now.

Don't move too much, GTA4, you've just been sale-spanked.

There were more people getting the game in Sainsburys for 26 yesterday than there were people buying food.

Depends what part your from to be honest.
Im from the Bristol area and i say holy crap not oh my.

You know back in the day when Escapist was an online PDF only stumbled across by Pro Gamers like me...

I seem to recall one of the very first stories was "The Mainstream is Coming" where the author both applauded the direction of gaming into the mainstream and lamented the fact that our little hobby was going to be popular and that being a "game nerd" wasnt going to be quite so exclusive anymore.

Well it would appear that if there was any doubt left about gaming being a hobby for the majority and not the minority... its been put to bed now.

Sad in a way...because the quality is definately suffering for the popularity just like modern music. But good because as the novelty of churning out garbage wears off the mass market, the games should in theory start to improve again. Hopefully this is the start of soemthing good and not something bad.

Littaly:

Yeah most Sainsburys were selling it for 26 and Asda for 32 so its not like we can be certain 55 will be common.

Well, what can we say - it's a freakin' sweet game.

I was actually very disapointed by the length of MW2's Campaign. I finished it in a single sitting! ... But then again, I do finish games very quickly.

I guess thats why I can't find a copy

CantFaketheFunk:

Bloody Hell!
Or further south.
Bugger me!
There you go, I've teached you some English. Here in the North we don't like them in the south...

Littaly:

Not likely, no shops have been selling it over 40, the supermarkets have been clsoer to 30 or less. Activision rrp plan < Good old Capitalist price wars.

Bloody Hell, Bugger Me, Holy Shit...

Yeah, I like Holy Shit the most.

And yeah, I got my copy, finished it today, and my friends are going to buy the game when they get some money.

Gonna be awesome, love it so much.

No surprise to me.
More than half my friends on psn has the game and frankly I can't wait to get the game myself but I would rather wait until I find a cheap Prestige package of the game.
*Fantasizing about having nightvision goggles* :)

I'm not suprised, is anyone else?

The British expression for "Holy Crap!" generally tends to be either "Oh my!" or "Bloody Hell!"

British for holy crap, is "My Word"

And this doesnt surprise me. I went to one of my local midnight openings, HMV and Game right next door to each other. There were easily about 500 people there throughout the night so yeah, this really doesnt surprise me. does it really surrise anyone? i mean come on, we were all expecting this to be bigger than everything in the history of ever

This is a BAD thing people, Activision was charging 10 Pounds More than the equivalent NA retail price in England, BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WOULD SELL. Yes that's right, England has just validated Activisions belief that they can charge whatever the hell they want and the dumb consumers won't give a crap.

So yes, hooray.

I'm really not surprised to hear how many it sold. I wonder how many shelled out the extra cash for the Prestige edition?

I had no idea that it was going so cheap. I may have to go hunting...

PedroSteckecilo:
This is a BAD thing people, Activision was charging 10 Pounds More than the equivalent NA retail price in England, BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WOULD SELL. Yes that's right, England has just validated Activisions belief that they can charge whatever the hell they want and the dumb consumers won't give a crap.

So yes, hooray.

Except if what most people wrote is to be believed, most people got it for less than most PC games sell for these days - stories of 26 and 32 sales, compared to the possible 50 Activision wanted to sell it for.

That's very nearly half price.

Oh dear!

Littaly:

I bought it 17.99 from macro!

Amnestic:

Except if what most people wrote is to be believed, most people got it for less than most PC games sell for these days - stories of 26 and 32 sales, compared to the possible 50 Activision wanted to sell it for.

That's very nearly half price.

So... wait, retailers are going against recommended pricing? Really?

This might actually be a good thing, can anyone corroborate this with figures?

Wow. I'm simultaneously trying to figure out why we needed the image of one sales record sexually abusing another, and attempting to scrub aforementioned image from my mind. The Thatcher pic was disincentive enough to continue reading without the register-tape rape.

PedroSteckecilo:

So yes, hooray.

17.99! It begs to differ!

Not a single price above 35= AWESOME SAUCE!

fix-the-spade:

Littaly:

Not likely, no shops have been selling it over 40, the supermarkets have been clsoer to 30 or less. Activision rrp plan < Good old Capitalist price wars.

Ah, gratz on counter-screwing Activision then I guess ^^

I think if I'm translating correctly the British term for "holy crap," is "holy crap."

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here