Did Modern Warfare 2 Sell 7 Million Copies in One Day?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

When December comes around there will be a lot more sales going on and multi player will be flooded by Christmas Noobs. I'm not complaining, easy kills are easy kills.

I love how a lot of people are wailing and beating their breast at this news. 'Noo, a game I don't like (or at least claim not to like hmm) is doing well, humanity is doomed, repent, run to hills, everyone in an idiot nooo' etc. I can understand not liking the game or the franchise, they have their faults, but it selling well should not be causing you to loose faith in humanity. A lot of people like these cinematic FPS and IW provides. Infinity Ward like to make these games, so why shouldn't they make these games and have them sell. Heaven forbid that gaming becomes popular in the minds of the greater audience, that more people start to game and as a result the medium grows, resulting in more and better games. Heaven forbid.

Turtleboy1017:
The neighborhood of gaming companies who believe in quality and community feedback rather than profit. But I guess you could argue that boat sailed back when Halo 3 came out. This just snapped the anchor line.

Do you have any idea how much feedback and communication Bungie provides for the fans still playing Halo 3? It is easily equal to or greater than all other developers. I have no idea what makes you think that Halo 3 lacks quality. It may not be an original premise but that doesn't mean that quality doesn't exist within the product, and if profit was the main concern it would have been released before earlier, no? Halo 3 could have easily been released in 2005 if Bungie wanted to get it out as soon as possible for a quick profit, with Halo 2 in 2003. A problem with gamers, and in a similar way music fans, is a belief that if people make money they only do what they do for the money. If you make money in the game industry than you're a sellout seems to be the opinion of many which somewhat disappoints me, I would have thought that we would be smarter than that.

Anyway, congratulations to Infinity Ward for selling so many copies of MW2.

Journeythroughhell:
My thoughts exactly. They're good developers, they WILL fix the issues, as every company with a grand multiplayer game launch has. if they don't, they'll lose their community.

With respect, they already lost a fair deal of the PC community purely through their horrific decisions and PR. Hence why the average for the PC version (assuming you only count the reviews of the game that specifically deal with the PC version), is at 60%.

They are good developers, but quite frankly, the way they've handled things lately is embarrassing (and in some cases, insulting).

JeanLuc761:

Journeythroughhell:
My thoughts exactly. They're good developers, they WILL fix the issues, as every company with a grand multiplayer game launch has. if they don't, they'll lose their community.

With respect, they already lost a fair deal of the PC community purely through their horrific decisions and PR. Hence why the average for the PC version (assuming you only count the reviews of the game that specifically deal with the PC version), is at 60%.

They are good developers, but quite frankly, the way they've handled things lately is embarrassing (and in some cases, insulting).

I believe that they are just trying a new system. Frankly, the PC community could've been a lot more forgiving but I don't really care, I'm getting it for the Xbox.
Also, what's so bad with their decisions? I can see the problem with them disallowing mods but matchmaking isn't bad and IW live sounds like a pretty good idea.

It's not so much the fact that they put matchmaking in, it's the fact that PC gamers are simultaneously being ignored and insulted. In some of their announcements about how IWNet works, they quite literally treated the majority of PC gamers like simpletons who can't navigate a simple server browser.

Frankly, the reason most PC gamers use the system is because they don't care for how consoles handle multiplayer so to be forced to adapt to the console style is unsettling. For them to tell us it's better, especially when we know it isn't, is insulting.

Whistler777:

How is the game's campaign for difficulty? If it's easier than the first MW, I'll probably try it on Veteran the first time through, in order to get more time out of the single-player game.

If you already played MW1, go for Veteran the first time through. It'll be kind of a pain, and you'll die a lot from getting flanked, but it'll be fun as hell and you'll be able to make it through.

I went and beat the single player today, and it was actually pretty good- chaotic, and disorganized, like another poster said, but that seems to be design, since it's it's simulating a war and all. The storyline was kinda bizarre, but it had some a couple legit "oh shit!" moments, which is pretty cool.

Cmwissy:
I really don't understand the Modern Warfare 2 hype - I have the first one; and too me, It's an average game with no stand out qualities - it plays everything safe; nothing new to the genre.

Am I missing something?

It's just... Average.

Maybe my brain works differently but a good game to me, needs

*Story and characters - MW has a few, but nothing worth googling
*Gameplay - Just an average shooter
*Something that makes it stand out (A gimmick, like portals or free running or something)

I'll agree that COD4's single player was solid but not amazing, but the multiplayer had pretty much endless replay value. And discussion that has it being a particularly standout game probably hinges on the multiplayer. If anything, MW2 is even more extreme- I sat down to play the single player this afternoon and by tonight I was done. If I had bought the game for the single player, I'd probably be a little miffed at the length, although the story is good enough that I wouldn't be too upset. But seriously, we're basically talking Mirror's Edge-esque length.

As for the storyline, I think that the story across both MW games has been pretty excellent. Going back to CoD4, the last stages as Pvt. Jackson and as Soap are both very good for very different reasons: in both cases, I found myself more engaged and interested in what was happening than I typically do at any point in a game. MW2 does manage to carry that over pretty well, and has a couple of very cool moments.

As far as what makes it stand out, I can only say what sets it apart for me: the versatility of the class system in multiplayer mode, the sheer quantity of guns, and the killstreak dynamics. In each regard, MW1 was tops of any game that I'd played, and MW2 still blows it out of the water.

So Call of 6 Modern Warfare Duty 2 sold as many copies roughly in the first few days as there are people watching a cat video on youtube?

mind boggling.

Of course reviewers were calling it the most anticipated game of the decade...

Can't say I'm surprised - the marketing department at Activision did a wonderful job at creating a hype I haven't seen in a while, and all that was built upon a predecessor so hugely popular it hasn't seen a serious decay in prices in two years. You might want to check out prices for Mass Effect, Bioshock and other titles from that period to estimate just how rare that is.
But mostly, it's brilliantly built-up hype. Activision has fed us bits and pieces for months now, and just the right bits and pieces at that - and even the controversy about the PC version might have done it a lot more good than bad.

The only thing that makes me wonder is how it managed to surpass GTA IV, and to be honest, I don't think it's quite done yet. Come on, GTA IV is already a cultural icon, and more or less has been from the start - that has to be worth SOMETHING... oh wait... (looking at Box Office figures for Michael Bay movies)... nevermind.

No kidding. In fact, here's some fun trivia to put it all in context: StarCraft has sold 11 million units worldwide since 1998, a feat that MW2 may well equal in less than a month.

Its not really fair to compare Starcraft, which is a PC only game, to Modern Warfare, which is out on the 3 major systems. I can assure you that if MW2 was a PC only game, it would never outsell Starcraft.

[/Starcraft fanboy rant]

Wow, the boycott did the works.

Im glad i gave a rats ass in it, and bought the game.
Itīs still as fun if not much more fun than mw1.

And yes i have been online with some lag, but they have
automatic thing the fixes that. (Moves the game to a more stabile host)

New and improved guns, easy to to join games with ur friends.
Maps are fun, ofc theres some u wont like but then it was in mw1 to.

Wakefield:

DTWolfwood:
that is what the campaign is for ppl if u cant play online actually try out the story line :P

Everyone beat the campaign yesterday.

Beat it again, hard, extreme, play the arcade mode. What yall cant make your $60 investment work for you when the interweb phails?

matrix3509:

No kidding. In fact, here's some fun trivia to put it all in context: StarCraft has sold 11 million units worldwide since 1998, a feat that MW2 may well equal in less than a month.

Its not really fair to compare Starcraft, which is a PC only game, to Modern Warfare, which is out on the 3 major systems. I can assure you that if MW2 was a PC only game, it would never outsell Starcraft.

[/Starcraft fanboy rant]

Not to mention the difference in size of the game community between 1998 and today.

That's really impressive, I didn't expect it to sell this well at all.

DeadlyYellow:
Heh heh. Mewtwo. I'm gonna start calling it that from now on.

I'm sensing the beginning of a meme...

I honestly haven't played any FPS war shooting games before. I was watching my roommate play the single player campaign it tonight, and...I was really intrigued. That snowmobile ride was really cool to watch. And then the airport terrorist scene came up, and I did cringe a bit. My roommate had no problem gunning down every civilian and then some, and I honestly sort of wish he had shown some reservation. I know, I know, it's silly to feel that way; they're not real people or even important characters, but I get into my games for their stories and characters, so it was a bit hard to watch. Maybe because it's ultra-realistic and something that could actually happen with the world the way it is, but it's difficult for me to just dismiss the whole thing as just ones and zeroes in a computer program.

Anyway, tangent, sorry. I even tried a bit myself (not the airport scene, mind you). Got killed pretty quick, but it was sort of thrilling. I don't have much of a basis, but the game seems pretty amazing. It's cool to hear Keith David in it. And Captain MacTavish? I love him. He's awesome.

I started out playing it and though, good god, this is pathetic, especially in the slums of Rio, simply because theres not many places to hide and theres so much metal heading your way, but it did pick up after that.

Multiplayer from what ive played so far is entertaining, I wasnt expecting the game to dispense blow jobs with every rank you gain and having played all CoD titles from the origional, knew pretty much what to expect.

But I am glad to see that IW has kept one tradition from all the CoD series going :-

Turtleboy1017:
There goes the neighborhood.

The neighborhood of gaming companies who believe in quality and community feedback rather than profit. But I guess you could argue that boat sailed back when Halo 3 came out. This just snapped the anchor line.

I take it you haven't played the game.

Its good.

That is all.

Ugh, i don't see whats so amazing about it. I hate COD.

And Activision still wants to raise the prices? They just made 420,000,000 in one day. That's more than any of us will make in our entire lifetimes.

I am also not surprised at all. Yesterday, any time I got on my entire friends list just said their names and then "Modern Warfare 2" next to it. Every single person.

Well now we can stop arguing about whether PC or console is better, because all we'll see from now on is money-grubbing fecal matter games on all systems.

Good job all the boycotters, you guys sure made a helluva difference!

Didn't have any interest in the game, as FPS' ain't my bag, baybee, but I did get a heck of a lot of entertainment out of watching all the PC players chucking their toys outta the pram. Heh.

While it looks like it won't hit 7 million Modern Warfare 2 still completely shattered all previous records. Joystiqs reporting that Activision announced this morning that in the UK and US alone Modern Warefare 2 sold 4.7 millions copies in 24 hours.

This crushes GTA IV's worldwide sales...I wouldn't be suprised if worldwide numbers for MW2 were close to 5.5 million.

Source

The VG industry is damned to an eternity of greed and mass consumer ignorance.

Bravo Activision! Bravo! But just so you know it, you don't deserve it you greedy fucks!

I'm gonna go sit in my corner unloved now... Oh wait, I STILL have Valve! Go Left 4 Dead 2! Go FREE dlc! Go giving a fuck about your consumer base!

Sorry, I just had a nap and I'm still a bit dizzy.

Susan Arendt:

Green Tentacle:
I don't get what's so big about this, another will beat it's record in a few months.

Possibly a Nintendo Game?

Assuming these numbers are accurate - and that is a fairly large assumption at this point, granted - the next highest selling game in history did half of what MewTwo did.

It's unlikely another game is going to take that particular crown soon.

Unless "Halo 4: Even more modern warfare" comes out that is.

*Sigh* And now Activison know they can make customer's their bitches whenever they like, and they'll still get massive sales. Now the question is if I should stubbornly stick to my guns and not buy it, or cave in and buy it.

Whistler777:

Suskie:
While I don't think something that's popular is automatically good (case in point, Transformers 2), didn't we gamers all agree that CoD4 was pretty... awesome? I mean, come on, even Yahtzee admitted it was exceptional. On that note, I just beat MW2's campaign in one sitting and ALREADY I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

So hey, good job, Infinity Ward! You guys deserve it. Excellent game.

How is the game's campaign for difficulty? If it's easier than the first MW, I'll probably try it on Veteran the first time through, in order to get more time out of the single-player game.

Eh, it's about the same as the first game. I beat it on Regular my first time through and only died a handful of times. A friend of mine is already play through on the second-highest difficulty and seems to be having a lot more trouble with it.

thebobmaster:
Notice how these are UK sales records? As in, the test region for bumping up the price to see how it affects sales? I'm sure this will have a good impact on our wallets...

I've said this many times before, everyone in the UK got it for HALF PRICE.

that means we are paying less than the rest of the world

'bout time too :P

DTWolfwood:

Wakefield:

DTWolfwood:
that is what the campaign is for ppl if u cant play online actually try out the story line :P

Everyone beat the campaign yesterday.

Beat it again, hard, extreme, play the arcade mode. What yall cant make your $60 investment work for you when the interweb phails?

I could, but I don't own MF2 I can't afford to replace my xbox

Looking at the trailers, I can see why this game is selling so well. It's like they took American patriotism and refined it into a stimulant you snort.

here we see, good marketing is all it takes. either that or a shitload of fanboys.

Wakefield:

I could, but I don't own MF2 I can't afford to replace my xbox

than y u quoting me u damn troll! :P

Meh, TF2 is better.

dogstile:

thebobmaster:
Notice how these are UK sales records? As in, the test region for bumping up the price to see how it affects sales? I'm sure this will have a good impact on our wallets...

I've said this many times before, everyone in the UK got it for HALF PRICE.

that means we are paying less than the rest of the world

'bout time too :P

Yeah, got mine for Ģ28.80, almost half the RRP.

I wouldn't be surprised at the massive sales - in my small town in south west england (40,000 population roughly), There were 150-200 people queuing outside of ASDA! Apparently HMV and Game had 200+ each as well - that's about 1.5% of the entire population getting the game at the midnight release alone!

Cmwissy:
I really don't understand the Modern Warfare 2 hype - I have the first one; and too me, It's an average game with no stand out qualities - it plays everything safe; nothing new to the genre.

Am I missing something?

It's just... Average.

Maybe my brain works differently but a good game to me, needs

*Story and characters - MW has a few, but nothing worth googling
*Gameplay - Just an average shooter
*Something that makes it stand out (A gimmick, like portals or free running or something)

All I can say about Modern Warfare is good graphics - and if gamers value nothing more than good graphics then we will never move on to be an art form.

Aegixx:
Bleh, how undeserving. WHERE does MW2 redefine the FPS genre? It's all because of CoD4, an equally uninspired game with good multiplayer. Linear shoot-the-duck fest for singleplayer. Everything's scripted so much that you could make a macro to beat the entire campaign with a single click.
/Ranting rant which wouldn't stop ranting

My point exactly.

Ah, the thing is, you've missed out the defining quality of Modern Warfare 1 and 2's SP campaigns. The set pieces. A friend of mine got MW2 the other day, and honest to god, I've never seen a game that does action packed set pieces as well as this. The action is over the top, explosive and loud, but it's also absolutely brilliantly paced. Just when you think you've seen the best of what the game has to offer, it chucks something new and even more exciting at you. One minute you're gunning it down the side of a mountain on a snowmobile, the next you're blowing up helicopters with an RPG.

Whilst on the subject of MW2, The Gulag is now officially one of my favourite all-time levels, and Soap MacTavish one of my favourite ever badasses.

CantFaketheFunk:

The real question is, will Mewtwo age the same way Starcraft did? I doubt that it will be remotely as popular in 4-5 years as Starcraft was 4 years after it's release.
But as we all know Activi$ion and IW will spit out sequels every year making the previous games unmemorable. But there have been other space themed RTS's since 1998. What do you think? Is MW2 a better game than SC?

HUBILUB:

Susan Arendt:

Green Tentacle:
I don't get what's so big about this, another will beat it's record in a few months.

Possibly a Nintendo Game?

Assuming these numbers are accurate - and that is a fairly large assumption at this point, granted - the next highest selling game in history did half of what MewTwo did.

It's unlikely another game is going to take that particular crown soon.

Unless "Halo 4: Even more modern warfare" comes out that is.

They should outsell Nintendo before claiming themselves heroes and stuff like that.

Wii Sports (Wii - 50.54 million,[68] packaged with system in all regions except Japan)
Super Mario Bros. (NES - 40.23 million)[40]
Tetris (Game Boy - 35 million)[76]

Only time i have been grateful over Nintendos success.

geldonyetich:
Looking at the trailers, I can see why this game is selling so well. It's like they took American patriotism and refined it into a stimulant you snort.

Most of the characters are British, actually.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here