Sh*t My Dad Says Becoming a Sitcom

Sh*t My Dad Says Becoming a Sitcom

The popular Twitter feed Sh*t My Dad Says is reportedly being developed into a sitcom for CBS.

Sh*t My Dad Says debuted on Twitter in August and has since grown into a genuine sensation, with over 700,000 people following the nuggets of oft-profane wisdom dispensed by Justin Halpern's 73-year-old father. "The baby will talk when he talks, relax," the elder Halpern said in one gem. "It ain't like he knows the cure for cancer and he just ain't spitting it out."

That, apparently, is all CBS needs to make a sitcom. The network has picked up a project based on the feed (which will no doubt be relabeled to Stuff My Dad Says or something similar) being co-written by Halpern and Patrick Schumacker. David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, the creators of Will & Grace, are serving as executive producers and will supervise the writing.

"If I wasn't me, I would kind of hate me," Halpern, who still lives with his dad, told the Wall Street Journal. "A lot of people are busting their ass, and a lot of people are really talented. And I just got lucky."

It's just what the world needs: A sitcom featuring the zany antics of a gruff-but-lovable father figure, his hip, youthful son and their outrageous friends and neighbors, all based on a Twitter feed. Does anyone else think this is a terrible idea? On the other hand, Will & Grace always struck me as just slightly less funny than that time I got shanked in the joint and it somehow managed to notch up 16 Emmy Awards. So maybe it's just me.

Source: The Live Feed

I actually think it has potential. GOGO OLD PEOPLE!

I give it good chances. Old people say very funny things...now if he went into senility it'd be a bit better MAYBE

To say this is a silly idea would insinuate that just about any other sitcom these days has a better premises, which I don't think any of them do.

I guess at the end of the day the ratings will tell.

Sounds interesting. This could actually be pretty good.

Aside from that, this reminds me of myself a bit. I've made some of my friends choke due to my random comments. So maybe I do a have a career on my hands.

Not a big fan of old people or jokes about farting.

I'll stick to shows that don't suck.

While I love "Sh*t My Dad Says" in twitter form, I shudder to think of the sitcom. Granted a lot of the lines SOUND like they already come from one, so I don't know if it'll be that much of a change... as long as there's no laugh track.

Let's take all the coolest shit he says, censor the fuck out of it, and make it horrible...

Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

PS. Will & Grace got 6 Emmy Awards, not 16. :P

Dumb premise, shit writers, old people... it'll probably run for at least 8 seasons. -_-

Considering that ABC did Cavemen (of Geico fame), I'm not surprised that some executive at CBS thought, "Hey, let's Green Light a multimillion $ sitcom on a Twitter feed." Because after all, we haven't got enough brainless crap on TV.

Soon to appear on NBC: Will It Blend? (Tom moves to the Big Apple with his Blendtec Blender and hilarity ensues).

"Ow! My Balls!" cannot be far off.

Doesn't this seem like a cross between The Simpsons "Angry Dad" and Tourette's Guy?

At least they've not used the words "Zany antics" or "with hilarious consequences". Oh god...they have, haven't they?

Sitcom + American network television = No thank you.

To me old people represent the pinnacle of humanity; ever old person I have met is unusually kind and more than willing to help. Unlike many of todays people.

Some of the things he said are pure gold, but I'm not really sure if you could pull up a sitcom out of this

THGhost:

Not according to the IMDB, Wiki, Retrojunk and other sites.

But we do agree on the quality of the idea at least.

Otterpoet:
Considering that ABC did Cavemen (of Geico fame), I'm not surprised that some executive at CBS thought, "Hey, let's Green Light a multimillion $ sitcom on a Twitter feed." Because after all, we haven't got enough brainless crap on TV.

Soon to appear on NBC: Will It Blend? (Tom moves to the Big Apple with his Blendtec Blender and hilarity ensues).

"Ow! My Balls!" cannot be far off.

Haha I'm still waiting for them to change the name of Fuddruckers to Futtbuckers.....then to Buttruckers, etc... :P

OT: I'm predicting this show will = fail.

This has potential. Crazy old people are hilarious.

While I think some of the tweets are hilarious I can't be the only one who thinks it's all bullshit. I mean, I don't expect Justin Halpern to reveal that his dad never said any of those things since that would spoil the mass appeal of it but c'mon. No one says stuff like that on a daily basis.

Plus, why would they hire the younger Halpern if it's his dad coming up with all this stuff?

Maybe the guy's just a good writer and now he's gotten his break. Let's see what he can turn it into.

I love that twitter thing, I follow that old man everyday... But I'm not sure how I feel about the sitcom. I guess I'll wait and see

Cant it just be the other end of the spectrum version of Kid's say the darndest things? Cosby could even return...but not as the host.

Yeah, "Shit my dad says" has never been done before.

Nope. Definitely never.

Old man blurting out pearls of occasionally humorous wisdom in a suburban family setting, backed by a not even attempting to sound real laughing track. It will be a hit.

CaptainCrunch:

Nope. Definitely never.

Strange I also immediately thought of all the male roles in "8 simple rules"

I think this is gonna be like "Everybody hates Chris"...

Well that's what I think...

Besides maybe, leave it on Twitter, it's funny because it's the ramblings of a obviously easily aggitated old man on the internet where he can't be censored.

Take away the internet and uncensored part and it's lost whatever charm it didn't have and isn't funny anymore.

It'll just be another sitcom people barely remember to watch.

It's not even new to the internet. Anyone remember Tourettes Guy? Those guys were TRYING to be a sitcom, how come they didn't get any offers?

This is gonna be a miserable failure. But not the same kind as "The Jeff Dunham Show", no: this will be a glorious zeppelin descending in flames, possibly destroying large chunks of CBS's ratings and offering NBC a chance to slip back into the prime time big leagues. I can't miss it!

This reminds me of how CBS tried to make big ratings with Baby Bob.

Look what happened with that.

CaptainCrunch:

Nope. Definitely never.

And the list only goes on and on. And here I thought they already did that with Gary Unmarried. Oh well, since Frasier went off the air I stopped watching most of that, almost got back in with Gary Unmarried but it fizzled pretty quickly. I wish them the best of luck but I'm not expecting much.

Malygris:
"A lot of people are busting their ass, and a lot of people are really talented. And I just got lucky."

Damn right you did.

HAHAA!! Its his dad saying all this hilarious stuff anyway...his son (who still lives with his father, not the other way around) only typed it up.

Count your blessings and hope dads around a little longer. (I don't mean to speak ill, but his so called "money train" is 73 years old...it could all be over before this sitcom even films a pilot...)

I think it'll be pants. I don't find the twitter feed funny but even if I did, I still can't see this being funny at a sitcom. Not even necessarily awful, just plain not funny. But we'll see, I could be proven wrong. It all just seems like the Simpson's episode where they make the 'Angry Dad' cartoon to me.

I liked this show better when it was called ARCHIE BUNKER!

Then again, if they bring back Archie's profanity and political incorrectness... it could work

TsunamiWombat:
I liked this show better when it was called ARCHIE BUNKER!

Then again, if they bring back Archie's profanity and political incorrectness... it could work

That would be "All in the Family"

I love shitmydadsays, but dragging it down to a sitcom level, then stretching it out to 22 minutes a week is going to break the concept.

I don't like it when people make things bigger than they are. I hadn't heard of that twitter feed but I must say that it's pretty funny. Pretty funny for something on the internet that is. I really don't think we need to see a sitcom made of this. I also don't want to see a movie based on MyLifeIsAverage now do I?

Malygris:

THGhost:

Not according to the IMDB, Wiki, Retrojunk and other sites.

But we do agree on the quality of the idea at least.

A test - good eyes. ;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here