Call of Duty to get WoW-Like Subscriptions?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Call of Duty to get WoW-Like Subscriptions?

Activison CFO Thomas Tippl has said the company is looking into monetizing the online components of some of its biggest franchises.

At the BMO Capital Markets Conference Tippl said that gamers should expect to see efforts to monetize Activision games in the near future.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," he said. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

According to Tippl, a monetized platform would work, citing DLC and WoW's successful subscription model as evidence. "Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," he said.

What's especially worrying about Tippl's comments is that he might be right. Modern Warfare 2 sold in enormous amounts, and if the next iteration involves some subscription fees to get the best experience, Activision could do very, very well out of it.

Source: CVG

Love the wording. Yes, Tippl... we're demanding to pay extra for additional content. Who in their right mind would want free stuff, anyway?

They better fucking not, we pay for the online anyway (Xbox owners only this applies to) and having to pay two companies for one service, that's bullshit.

Also "there is a demand from core gamers to pay up for that". What? People want to pay to have subscription fees? If there are people like that they need to have their wallets shoved up their ass!

If that comes into effect, I'm not buying Call of Duty anymore.

The price has already been jacked up here in the UK, they don't need any more of my cash.

As important as subscription fees are to a game, I don't believe Activision can use the same level or responsibility Blizzard has.

Aww, damnit.
This sucks.
If they do this, a lot of people will actually buy it.
Soon enough we'll be paying subscriptions for most of our games.
Hopefully that won't happen.

And so it has finally happened...

Another money making scheme from them. As if the 50 million they pull in monthly from WoW isn't enough already.

To me this is nothing but the beginning of the end. It was bound to happen eventually. (End of me buying anything other than D3 from Activision/Blizzard.)

I find any story involving Activision deeply depressing thses days, they really are working to be the Disney of gaming and people in their infinite stupidity pay them to do it.

Besides Planetside I can't think of any subscription based FPS, CoD's rpg elements and scale certainly don't match that, yet here they are contemplating charging for it on top of 60.
As much as I dislike piracy it would be incredibly awesome for Activision's sales to flatline under the poison of a million torrents...

Monthly subscription? Well, I don't play WoW anymore and going over to more games ain't gonna help with them any more.

If they do that I'm sure that the boycott for that will actually happen, unlike the stupid PC one which everyone bought the game for anyway.

/facepalm

ok mmos = / = fps or non-mmos, god this is going to suck if they do this...

Hah, why subsribe to Modern Warfare 2's unbalanced, cheap ass online full of kids when you can buy Counterstrike or Battlefield 2 for 10 and get a much better online experience? Oh well, most console gamers still quite happily be over-charged for it like most of do with DLC that PC gamers get for free.

He's serious? My god that's stupid.

Who the hell did he talk to? I'm sure when they said they would be glad to get some new features they meant DLC not a monthly subscription

This is a very bad idea, if call of duty gets wow-like subscription then they will lose many many customers.

GamingAwesome1:
They better fucking not, we pay for the online anyway (Xbox owners only this applies to) and having to pay two companies for one service, that's bullshit.

You are paying for internet and Live already, so don't you mean paying three companies for one service?

Well, it would help get rid of the little kids. Some of them, at least.

If they do make COD online into a subscription based service, then people will just move back to COD5. The COD5 community is still quite large and vibrant with plenty of servers still running, so why would I pay for what I can get for free?

At least the ds version is safe

Before everyone goes on and starts shouting gloom and doom lets look at this logically. If Activision actually supports Call of Duty with regularly content patches then a sucription system might be worth it, BUT we're talking about ACTUAL content here, not just a couple of weapons and skin changes. That definitely would not warrent a sub cost. Now if Activision and IW actually launch new modes, missions, content, etc on a regular basis like Blizzard does then a base cost of say $5-$10 a month might be worth it for the die hard CoD player.

That said I would never support a forced subscription method. If it's implemented it should be completely optional.

When I read this I think of team fortress 2. So much new content, new weapons, hats, balancing and tweaking YEARS after I bought the game... God I love valve so much.

Well wow got subscriptions to pay for big servers (theoretically) yet Guild Wars managed to survive with no sunscriptions...

I think activision i biting off more then they can chew, thy're greedy bastards and their greed will be their undoing. As for DLC - I guess people will learn to live with that if it won't affect balance in the game. As for the rest, they can go suck a cock.

Bigeyez:
Before everyone goes on and starts shouting gloom and doom lets look at this logically. If Activision actually supports Call of Duty with regularly content patches then a sucription system might be worth it, BUT we're talking about ACTUAL content here, not just a couple of weapons and skin changes. That definitely would not warrent a sub cost. Now if Activision and IW actually launch new modes, missions, content, etc on a regular basis like Blizzard does then a base cost of say $5-$10 a month might be worth it for the die hard CoD player.

That said I would never support a forced subscription method. If it's implemented it should be completely optional.

Team Fortress 2

See, this is what you get for encouraging them.

MasterStratus:
Aww, damnit.
This sucks.
If they do this, a lot of people will actually buy it.
Soon enough we'll be paying subscriptions for most of our games.
Hopefully that won't happen.

well if it does happen a lot of people will be pissed off and wont be able to afford to be gamers anymore...

cieply:
Well wow got subscriptions to pay for big servers (theoretically) yet Guild Wars managed to survive with no sunscriptions...

I think that has a lot to do with the way the games are set up - Guild Wars only has more than 5 players on a single map in towns, which may help with the server load/sizes. That's pure conjecture of course, but it'd be my guess.

OT - I'd love to meet someone who demanded to pay a subscription fee for Call of Duty's multiplayer. This does look more like people would be willing to pay for DLC packs and more content/game modes, though.

You damn money whores!!! i just finished paying WoW and now they expect me to pay subscription fees for a FPS like Modern Warfare

Sadly, one person cannot unite the whole world to boycott Activision products and show them what's what. One foot is all it takes though to kick their ass, though.

I would like to go on the record as saying I fucking called it.

Yay for more milking! Congratulations Activision for scaring off new potential customers just to milk every last drop from your loyal fanbase. I will enjoy seeing the Call of Duty franchise crash and burn. Same case with Guitar Hero.

As for demand to pay by gamers? I call that a lie. The same kind of lie as "The PC version of Modern Warfare 2 will be the most content-rich one".

I'm sorry but who the fuck would pay so much for a game at launch price and then a monthly fee on top...

... for 9 vs 9 multiplayer?

Look, the WoW model works because it has a VAST amount of content and is ADDICTIVE as hell and no COD game has ever lived up to that. It is a short and sweet game, the multiplayer you will keep coming back to but not THAT much and not for that long.

I mean Activision have been releasing a COD game steadily every year since 2005 (alternating between IW and Treyarch), is that not a steady revenue flow? I mean COD4 is still selling for 30 on Steam.

WoW subscription fee is justified by the amount of time spent on the game and the interactivity with SO MANY other people. That is just not what you get with COD, especially Modern Warfare 2.

If they try this then there is NO REASON not to pirate it, I'm sorry, there just isn't a single moral reason that you should respect such an amoral corporation.

Please, someone buy out IW... anyone... even MICROSOFT could do a better job!

congrats activision youve sucessfully topped EA in being the absolute most dickish game developers, even EA would look at this and think "wow what a bunch of dicks".

whatever who in their right mind would pay an extra charge to play on a shooter thats basically the same as those who have come before it? and what would they offer you anyway look at how huge the world is for wow and all the stuff cod would basically be like having what 5 more guns and a couple of new maps.

I give up with activision first the price jacks then dissing out the ps3 and now this, their now standing on the chair and in the noose what stunt will they pull that'll kick the chair out from beneath them i wonder.

If they do that, I will stop playing CoD. I am not paying for it

God, they just love to be hated, don't they? They know people are stupid enough to keep buying their games no matter what, so they don't have anything to worry about.

you know what, I think the gaming industry needs to collapse on itself so it can rebuild they are only getting this greedy because its the only industry to flourish in the economic problems. once they start feeling the pinch, then they will tone it down a bit.

I want to know who is talking to, because no gamer alive is demanding to have to pay to play their games online. It works for MMO's, MMO's have a LOT of content, and is constantly updated. That will not work for a FPS game, they will never be able to update the game fast enough, and the content will never be challenging enough to hold people over longer then a day.

Do these people not understand most people don't have money to throw around? We are in/just got out of a recession in the USA, so a lot of people are busy buying you know, food, paying bills, things like that.

If they charge people to play online with Diablo 3, it is over for activision/blizzard. I will go down there myself and curse them all to death.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here