Modern Warfare 2 Recalled in Russia

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Modern Warfare 2 Recalled in Russia

Russian versions of Modern Warfare 2 have been recalled from stores across the country thanks to political and gamer outrage over the game's infamous "airport scene."

Controversy has swirled around the "airport scene" in Modern Warfare 2 (and if you somehow don't know what I'm talking about and want to avoid spoilers, you'd best stop reading now) since before the game was launched, as people debated back and forth about whether or not it was appropriate to let gamers take part in a brutal terrorist massacre of unarmed civilians. Entirely predictable, of course, but what wasn't predicted was the reaction of the Russians, who apparently feel that the game's portrayal of Russian terrorists shines an unflattering light on the nation as a whole.

In fact, according to Hellforge, every copy of the console version of the game has been recalled, while Infinity Ward has released an official patch for the PC and Steam releases of the game that remove the mission entirely. It's a bit tricky to determine if the game has been banned by the government in any official sense but the site notes that censored versions of Modern Warfare 2 are expected to be released within a month, "pending validation from the Russian government."

The anger doesn't appear to be entirely political, either; an admittedly dodgy Google translation of the Russian gaming site gotPS3 seems to suggest that many Russian gamers are also upset with the game, which "feeds the primary audience residing in the United States of America a story about the evil Russian!"

It's all nonsense, of course, from the suggestion that a handful of Russian terrorists are somehow a reflection of the entire Russian state to the feigned surprise that an American videogame would appeal first and foremost to an American audience. And correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time the relationship between the Russian and American nations has been portrayed as adversarial; as the man once said, "I have no desire to drink with him or any other Russian son of a bitch." Still, I can't help but be amused by the fact that even though the perspectives and reasoning are radically different, at the end of the day the net result is exactly the same: People get pissed off about videogames for really stupid reasons.

That's pretty pathetic Russia. I thought you were badass. :(

...feel that the game's portrayal of Russian terrorists shines an unflattering light on the nation as a whole

This made me laugh.

I think it's kinda funny how all these people are freaking out about the kind of thing I do in Saint's Row all the time: kill masses of innocent civilians for the lulz.

Who knew that all the mightiness of Russia could be offended...by a video game. A video game which may I add, has about as much credibility as an 80's action film. Not that that's a bad thing.

It's kind of understandable; to a point. Russia wants the US to look past the Cold War era and move on to a friendlier open relationship where we are free to rely on one another. I'm sure Russia doesn't want to be slandered in any way. Although it can be said "Oh, it's just a video game", it's also the highest selling video game right now. Millions and Millions of people will be paying this and seeing the 'evil Russian terrorists' may reflect a bad light on them.That's how they proably feel.

I for one think the airport scene is interesting and I couldn't actually shoot any civilians. I felt bad, damn guilty feelings. I understand the scene can set the tone for the video game, whch is why I have no problem with it.
I could see how the Russians may have took offense though.

Wait...wait.

Didn't Russia invade Georgia for little to no reason a while ago?

Well done russia, you just lost all kudos for saving all our asses in world war 2.

Who wants Putin? bring back the commies, at least then we had something to hate rather than belittle.

I'm sorry Russia, but you kind of did it to yourself with your storied history of this kind of crap. It's more or less a portrayal of the Russian government, which for the most part, has taken advantage of as well as take the lives of their own people.

I know several Russians here in America, and if they are any indication of how Russians still in the Motherland behave, then I have no problem with them. They should know better than to put too much stock into some animated pixels.

Rahnzan:
Wait...wait.

No, they had a reason.

mikecoulter:
That's pretty pathetic Russia. I thought you were badass. :(

We are 100% pure badass.
But this is really retarded. Especially since Call Of Duty 4 is my favorite part of all-time.
I think our government should fix our international issues INSTEAD of fucking with my favorite viodeo game devs of all time.
Even if you release the console version here, fuuuck you, guys. That airport mission is one of the highlights in Modern Warfare 2.
Come on, do it. Follow the German government censorship policy.

I have already said this once and i will say it again: Creating that level was a stupid stupid thing to do and it was extremely obvious that something like this would happen as a result. I wander if Infinity award has any common sense in there heads.

Yes, you can talk all you want about how the scene is not offensive and stuff but that's not the point i am trying to make here. The point i am trying to make is that including a level like that in the game is more or less an insurance that it will cause a public outcry and bans, and that's bad for there sales and reputation. But instead Infinity award just ignored common sense and just assumed nobody would care.

I don't blame the Russians for being pissed off, if someone wrote such a shitty nonesensical story about me portraying me as the bad guy I would be angry too.

MW2's story did pretty much portray the Russians as moronic aggressive barbaric, and violent. I am referring to the Russians deciding the Americans were responsible for a terrorist attack just because one of the terrorists was an American (how did they find that out anyway? I can't imagine he was stupid enough to have ID on him labeling him as an American, as he was a deep undercover CIA operative), even though the person who clearly lead the attack was a well-known Russian terrorist, whose image was probably caught on dozens of surveillance cameras throughout the airport.

And then, the Russians attack the United States in a massive invasion, devastating atleast the capitol and surrounding area, all because of a terrorist who happened to be American. That doesn't seem like something a civilized nation does.

Rahnzan:
Wait...wait.

No. American funded and trained Georgian military invaded an area called South Ossetia who want to be independent. Russia backs this independence and when the georgians invaded they beat the georgian army up. It was entirely Georgia's fault because stupidly they thought they would get military backing from NATO or the USA.

I think the Russians are entirely validated in their anger, though why they haven't gotten angry about the countless other negative portrayals of Russians there have been over the years is beyond me however.

They have taken their reaction to a bit of an extreme I would say.

Are they forgetting that a massive, massive chunk of the game revolves around shooting Russians?

To be fair, it would be nice if after over 20years, a mainstream action game could move on from "lolbadEast(Russians) vs lolgoodWest(Americans)." The moreso if you're going to be selling that game where the fictional enemy lives. I'd imagine saying Russia gets taken over by mad ultra-nationalists is like telling them they were defeated & taken over by Chechen rebels...who you then get to play as gunning down civillians

Rahnzan:
Wait...wait.

A better reason than most of the USA's invasions (& I mean that in general not recently)

From CoD4, a pair of my favourite lines:

Price: Kamarov and his men will meet us in the next clearing.
Gaz: Are they the "good" Russians or the "bad" ones?
Price: Well, they won't shoot us on sight if that's what you're asking.
Gaz: Then that's good enough for me, sir.

(Don't confuse Kamarov with Makarov)

To be honest, if America was portrayed in a game as the "bad guys" (Heh, yeah right.) for no real explained reason, YOU'D BE PISSED TOO.

Seriously. Step off of Russia. I'd be pissed if England were terrorists for no explained reason, and so would you.

IW pretty much succeeded when they announced this level...I mean, it's going to piss alot of people off, me, I'm level-headed enough to know it's a game, and this kind of thing has been done in the past by movies and books. Soon games should be held to those standards rather than their own.

Yeah, I can see why Russia would be pissed about it, but again, it's the history, Cold War, etc.

Apparently all video games need to be about zombies and monsters, because nobody likes to be the bad guys. How come this same rule doesn't apply to the film industry?

Rahnzan:
Wait...wait.

Actually, Georgia picked a fight with Russia.

Heh, I told a Russian friend today that you kill Russians in MW2.

Hardcore_gamer:
I have already said this once and i will say it again: Creating that level was a stupid stupid thing to do and it was extremely obvious that something like this would happen as a result. I wander if Infinity award has any common sense in there heads.

Yes, you can talk all you want about how the scene is not offensive and stuff but that's not the point i am trying to make here. The point i am trying to make is that including a level like that in the game is more or less an insurance that it will cause a public outcry and bans, and that's bad for there sales and reputation. But instead Infinity award just ignored common sense and just assumed nobody would care.

I thought it was a clever marketing gimmick that had the opposite effect of what you just stated.

You know what, people? All the outrage is because Russian people are fed up with "OMFG COMMUNAZIS" portrayals, yet there are a bunch of nationalistic movements in the country. And i can't say gonverment does a good job in fighting racial intolerance. Plus, Putin is a pretty tough leader. Not a full-blown dictator, but still pretty hard-line one.

It's kinda funny how our gamers rage about airport level, yet they have no qualms about...

Bunch of hypocrites.

To be fair, if you want to have a modern game about war at a time when very few organized countries are at war (Middle East is ALWAYS at war, but we needed a break from shooting turbaned terrorists) you need to dive into fiction quite a bit. I just wonder what country they COULD make the enemy without that country getting pissed off.

MW2 plot spoiler:

Kollega:
You know what, people? All the outrage is because Russian people are fed up with "OMFG COMMUNAZIS" portrayals, yet there are a bunch of nationalistic movements in the country. And i can't say gonverment does a good job in fighting racial intolerance. Plus, Putin is a pretty tough leader. Not a full-blown dictator, but still pretty hard-line one.

It's kinda funny how our gamers rage about airport level, yet they have no qualms about...

Bunch of hypocrites.

You dear sir, have hit the bull's eye of the issue. I wish I had that kind of accuracy.

VanityGirl:
It's kind of understandable; to a point. Russia wants the US to look past the Cold War era and move on to a friendlier open relationship where we are free to rely on one another. I'm sure Russia doesn't want to be slandered in any way.

This

But after all Russia has been through, I doubt that a video game can do any more damage.

Katana314:
To be fair, if you want to have a modern game about war at a time when very few organized countries are at war (Middle East is ALWAYS at war, but we needed a break from shooting turbaned terrorists) you need to dive into fiction quite a bit. I just wonder what country they COULD make the enemy without that country getting pissed off.

MW2 plot spoiler:

Maybe. Though how Fox News will shut-up about a second American civil war portrayed in a popular video-game series, I'll never know.

Nice idea though. Reminds of the story of this game that came out a few years ago called Shattered Union.

Multi-Kill:

You near sure, have hit the bull's eye of the issue. I wish I had that kind of accuracy.

Eh, who needs accuracy when you can have DAKKA! MOAR AND MOAR DAKKA!!!

saw it coming...

Russia just lost 50 points in my book

Damn commies... =P

Well, if you pay attention during MW2 you'll see that it's hardly just that handful of Russian terrorists. Those are just the incentive for countrywide anti-Americanism.
I can kind of understand why the Russians are pissed.

Atleast the Russians can complain about it be it frivolous or not, cause only 20 years ago they couldnt do this without being sent off to Siberia. so Be pissed! Express the freedom you so rightly have!

on a less political note, Russians must really like to associate themselves with their terrorist for them to take offense to a work of FICTION.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here