Modern Warfare 2 Recalled in Russia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Last time i checked it's all imaginary and a video game. Thats all I'm saying.

So Russia is angry that it's feeding Americans bad ideas, so it's preventing it's own citizens from buying it?

And are they really that afraid that the terrorists are a representation of them?

Lord_Gremlin:

Sovvolf:
In Soviet Russia video games ban you...

Soviet Russia does not exist.

Jesus Gremlin. You never heard of a joke or pop culture reference!?

Pyromaniac1337:

Katana314:
I just wonder what country they COULD make the enemy without that country getting pissed off.

Canada. Provided we weren't portrayed as cowards with a shitty military.

Nah. Thats France. ;)

Sorry. Did'nt relaize I was triple posting. Disregard.

Sorry. Did'nt realize I was triple posting. Proceed and have a pleasent day.

Lord_Gremlin:
Imagine a game, where British terrorists brutally murder British civilians. You know, stereotypical British, first they drink tea with cookies and then gear up and start mass murder. What? There are terrorists in GB. Oh, they're not British? And "thetzenian" are not Russian. Now you understand?

I think it's more that (unless I've misunderstood the Modern Warfare 2 story, which is a distinct possibility) the civilian populace then turn to these terrorists, and go:

'Oh mighty terrorist man, who probably couldn't care less about us even if he tried, student of Zakaev, illegal arms dealer extraodinaire, is clearly the hero of the nation who should lead us! Come, let us depose of our current government and install this man, who kills our fellow citizens without a second thought, as our leader, and follow him in all his endeavors without question!'

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if my country was portrayed as being populated by retards. To the point of banning the game though? I think that's going too far.

JordanMillward_1:

flaming_squirrel:
My favourite part about MW1+2 is how the Americans get completely and utterly buttfucked both times, resulting in the British SAS crew to save the day.

I know, I love it too. Then again, the SAS are the best in the world at what they do, and I don't see any reason to deny their awesomeness at all.

Me two, and I'm American!

Dont know how they'd fare against Spetznaz though. Thats a leauge of bad ass mother shut your mouth's if I ever did see one.

i can see where Russia's getting at

They dont want to be shown as the evil faction anymore but in a more friendlier state but here we are the escapist community and many others saying they should just "man up"

For once i almost agree with the "others"

Lukeydoodly:

...feel that the game's portrayal of Russian terrorists shines an unflattering light on the nation as a whole

This made me laugh.

Yeah, me too. We all know the worlds opinion on a nation is based on the willingness oftheir terrorists, wether real or fictional. Apparently they are of a mind to believe that this is beyond Russian terrorists capabilities.

Although, out of all the people bitching about this game, I think they are the only ones that are doing it from a valid standpoint, and not just because they are closed minded opinionated egotists that think the world shoud believe what they do.

quiet_samurai:

Lukeydoodly:

...feel that the game's portrayal of Russian terrorists shines an unflattering light on the nation as a whole

This made me laugh.

Yeah, me too. We all know the worlds opinion on a nation is based on the willingness oftheir terrorists, wether real or fictional. Apparently they are of a mind to believe that this is beyond Russian terrorists capabilities.

Although, out of all the people bitching about this game, I think they are the only ones that are doing it from a valid standpoint, and not just because they are closed minded opinionated egotists that think the world shoud believe what they do.

Like Fox News? ;)

People are impressionable idiots. After they watch or play certain fictional game portraying certain nation as terrorists, next thing you know these idiots are going to associate them as terrorists like the new stereotype. Honestly, I don't see how you can't understand why Russians have to be happy about this.

Multi-Kill:

JordanMillward_1:

flaming_squirrel:
My favourite part about MW1+2 is how the Americans get completely and utterly buttfucked both times, resulting in the British SAS crew to save the day.

I know, I love it too. Then again, the SAS are the best in the world at what they do, and I don't see any reason to deny their awesomeness at all.

Me two, and I'm American!

Dont know how they'd fare against Spetznaz though. Thats a leauge of bad ass mother shut your mouth's if I ever did see one.

I dunno, some of the stuff the SAS has pulled off is pretty dark, and the SAS have been doing it for longer, essentially proving the "special forces" concept back in WW2. Plus, have you seen the video of the Iranian Embassy Storming (Operation Nimrod)? That's some kick arse shit right there. There is a reason the SAS are widely regarded as the best Spec Ops in the world.

Plus, "Spetsnaz" refers to any and all Russian Spec Ops units, rather than any specific ones (such as those under the control of Internal Security, the secret police, the army, etc).

in soviet russia, game recalls you!

but georgia attacked them first so the russians were like "no you didn't motherfuckers" lolz and completely owned the georgians

Well, I'm confused; I thought those terrorists (as well as the ones in the first game) were Chechens. Can somebody clear this up for me?

RebelRising:
Well, I'm confused; I thought those terrorists (as well as the ones in the first game) were Chechens. Can somebody clear this up for me?

No, the baddies in CoD4 were Russians. They are an ultranationalist (I still don't understand what that means) group that wanted to return Russia to the 'glory days' of the USSR. Apparently they had enough support to start a civil war (again, don't ask me. I only found out that there was a civil war the other day, I can't remember any mention of it during CoD4 at all). They were operating out of bases in the Ukraine and Azerbaijan, apparently without interference from those governments (patently silly ideas, as both these countries would be hunting them down an kicking them out, and would be none too pleased with any foreigners popping in to have a war. Especially Russians).

Sulu:
Russia backs this independence and when the georgians invaded they beat the georgian army up.

- Around two-thirds of annual budget revenues of around $30 million come directly from Moscow. Almost all the population hold Russian passports. They use the Russian rouble as their currency.

-- Russia's state-controlled gas giant Gazprom is building new gas pipelines and infrastructure, worth some 15 billion roubles ($640 million), to supply the region from Russia.
Link

Mmm mmm, lap up some of that delicious, healthy Russian-backed independence.

Armitage Shanks:

Sulu:
Russia backs this independence and when the georgians invaded they beat the georgian army up.

- Around two-thirds of annual budget revenues of around $30 million come directly from Moscow. Almost all the population hold Russian passports. They use the Russian rouble as their currency.

-- Russia's state-controlled gas giant Gazprom is building new gas pipelines and infrastructure, worth some 15 billion roubles ($640 million), to supply the region from Russia.
Link

Mmm mmm, lap up some of that delicious, healthy Russian-backed independence.

are you somehow trying to say that all this is bad? If Russia backed Georgia you know for a fact that the USA would back south ossetia.

I'm not exactly surprised. Imagine if a video game was made where the US are an entirely evil force (Let's say the final mission of Modern Warfare 2, extended into a whole game) and where you spent the entirety of it building up just how bad people they are and killing thousands of them for being so very evil as to invade another country.

Do you really think American audiences would take to that with any kind of glee, except for the antisocial emo gits and wannabe anarchists?

no
georgia invade south ossetia first
the UN put the blame on Georgia for the whole thing

Sulu:

are you somehow trying to say that all this is bad? If Russia backed Georgia you know for a fact that the USA would back south ossetia.

I'm saying that Russia aren't the outspoken defenders of self-determination, protecting a weaker nation with no thought of their own benefit or profiteering. Moscow's hands are just as grubby as Tbilisi's. The conflict isn't for South Ossetia's independence, no one cares about that; its for who gets to annex it.

I have to agree with Ivan it's an evil plot by the Yankee devils! Really tho I'm surprised Russia said anything about this because it will only remind people(and by people I mean me) of the movie theater incident with the sleepy gas and hilarious Russian incompetence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

Can Australia volunteer to be the next 'bad guy'? We're under-represented in games as it is :P

Armitage Shanks:

Sulu:

I'm saying that Russia aren't the outspoken defenders of self-determination, protecting a weaker nation with no thought of their own benefit or profiteering. Moscow's hands are just as grubby as Tbilisi's. The conflict isn't for South Ossetia's independence, no one cares about that; its for who gets to annex it.

Mighty right, gov'na! Although Georgians did invade first, Russia wouldn't have acted the way they did if not for their interest in the region. But that's just the way the politics work -- there is no country in the would help another out of simple good will and amity, RF and US are not an exclusion.
The Chechen president, backed by the Russian government, is a bloodthirsty bandit (they called themselves "field commanders") and would be a potential terrorist threat if his clan wasn't given complete control over the region.
The Georgian president, backed by NATO as a countermeasure against RF, is a man who has a history of physically eliminating any and all opposition in the government. And it just so happens that he really REALLY wants Osetian territory and believes that he has all the rights to it -- something native South Osetians strongly disagree with.

Ugh, politics.

Anyway, the reaction of Russian conservative media and some gamers was predictable -- it's the same way US natives would have reacted if you played a terrorist gunning down American citizen and then playing as the Russian military defending against an American invasion.

-----------------------

My own opinion about this debacle as an Ukrainian with Russian roots:
The set-up for the invasion of US was a pretty poor one, it kind of makes you think that the Russians are just sitting there waiting for the right chance to invade America... Relax people, even if the current RF military was capable of this (which it clearly isn't -- they've barely managed the Georgians), they're much more interested in the former USSR countries -- US land is too far to be of any immediate interest. Getting sidetracked here...
Gunning down the Russian military while playing as an American soldier was a bit unpleasant (it felt as if I could end up on the other side of the gun barrel in such a situation), but if all missions against Russians were by SAS it'd feel a bit better -- I can't hold anything against UK and its citizen, the unapologetic Anglophile that I am.
Thanks to the former SAS being the heroes of the game I was left with a generally positive impression of MW2.

flaming_squirrel:

LopezMeister:
Put it this way, if say, a UK developer (or even a Russian one) were to make a high profile game that showed the American Army as warmongers commiting bad deeds, people in the US would be pretty pissed off. Yes it is just a game and yes they are just fictional terrorists but people are very impressionable.

You mean like CoD:MW 2? (without the Uk developer, obviously)

Touché, what I mean though is a game where the US aren't even being the "good guys". Raping an pillaging and stuff like that. Even if it doesn't annoy the gamers it's bound to get the general population in an up-roar, definitely once fox jumps on the bandwagon (or starts it rolling).

LaBarnes:

Sparrow:
To be honest, if America was portrayed in a game as the "bad guys" (Heh, yeah right.) for no real explained reason, YOU'D BE PISSED TOO.

Okay, someone's gotta point out the flawed reasoning that fuels this ignorance.

Wow. Did you even read my spoiler?

Russia are the bad guys for NO REASON. America on the other hand are given their title of well recieved Douches Of The Year because they try to, oh gee I dunno', fool the world into thinking America are the good folks even though they steal some intel to make it look that way, and kill two of the most well designed characters in the game. (Roach is well designed, even though you see nothing of him. There are big hints.)

Russia on the other hand are the bad guys because... well. There's no reason. Hence, why they're allowed to be pissed.

Multi-Kill:

Hey, finger of god technology is finger of god technology.

Amen to that. Let's hear it for American Kill-Em-All technology!

Or not.

Alex the Pally:

Multi-Kill:

Hey, finger of god technology is finger of god technology.

Amen to that. Let's hear it for American Kill-Em-All technology!

Or not.

No. Finger of god technology is technology that essentially allows you to destroy enemies with technology that give a birds eye view of the battlefield for you to pick and choose the enemies you want dead, like orbital lasers or airmounted weapon such as the hell fire and preadtor combo.

oh well. it'll all blow over i suppose.

Well, thats another country who are raging about MW2, time to add another to the list.

Major Tom:

RebelRising:

No, the baddies in CoD4 were Russians. They are an ultranationalist (I still don't understand what that means) group that wanted to return Russia to the 'glory days' of the USSR. Apparently they had enough support to start a civil war (again, don't ask me. I only found out that there was a civil war the other day, I can't remember any mention of it during CoD4 at all). They were operating out of bases in the Ukraine and Azerbaijan, apparently without interference from those governments (patently silly ideas, as both these countries would be hunting them down an kicking them out, and would be none too pleased with any foreigners popping in to have a war. Especially Russians).

Weird. They had Chechen accents and outfits, but they were still Russians. That Hammer and Sickle symbol for their team also confused me. It's like they were confusing two things together.

Ah well, I'm getting too worked up over this. Thanks for the explanation, anyways.

In America Game fight government

In Soviet Russia Government fight game

A pretty lame joke but seriously?

Double Post:

QUICK WORLD LEADERS BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO GIVE JACK THOMPSON A BLOWJOB

Wow, I'm not moving to Russia nor will I ever. It is a violent level but to ban the game is just cruel.

Hey at least they don't kill any Russians. They have morals and rep their country, it should be seen as a positive mission ;)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here