EA Vets Launch New Activision Studio

EA Vets Launch New Activision Studio

Activision has announced the opening of Sledgehammer Games, a new studio that will be headed by former Visceral executives Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey.

Schofield and Condrey were formerly the general manager and chief operating officer, respectively, at the EA-owned studio Visceral Games, where they played prominent roles in the development of the award-winning game Dead Space, Schofield as executive producer and Condrey senior development director. The pair departed for the greener pastures of Activision in July and will assume the same roles at Sledgehammer that they held at Visceral.

"This was an opportunity for us to assemble a world-class team made up of developers with a proven track record in delivering top-rated games," Schofield said. "We know what it takes to develop a Game of the Year title, and we also know that the title needs the support of a strong publisher to make the game a success."

"Activision Blizzard's independent studio model is very empowering," added Condrey. "We have a fantastic new studio facility, the foundation for a world-class team and the backing of the industry's most profitable game publisher. This was a rare opportunity we couldn't pass up."

It's hard to imagine that this isn't a real kick in the ass for EA management. Not only did a couple of their top guys fly the coop for the competition, but they're launching a brand new studio to great fanfare the day after the floundering EA closed the doors at Pandemic. There is one potential upside, however; Sledgehammer is "actively recruiting" talent to work on its first, unannounced project, which could be a boon for a lot of EA employees left jobless by its recent troubles.

I think those who lost their jobs at pandemic and trbiuon and few other EA studios need to go here or try Sony or MS for a new job

Wow, you know what they say, when one door closes, you need to backtrack to find the right keycard that will open the other door.

heyheysg:
Wow, you know what they say, when one door closes, you need to backtrack to find the right keycard that will open the other door.

Lol that was pretty funny. :)

The problem with this is that because of activisions policies, they will never make more then 1 games with a bazzilion pieces of dlc and sequels.

They should have named the new studio "Vaccine Games".

I think this will be a good opportunity to pick up some real talent.

I'm excited about the prospects for a new IP from Acti/Blizz & Sledgehammer :)

OK, on one hand, I love the name "Sledgehammer games" - this makes me want to buy anything they make. On the other hand, I don't like Activision.

Also, isn't a bit of hype and a release all that's needed to get Game of the Year somewhere?

Woo yay! Run to the Reich, you dirty cowards! No-one is going to regret your countless sequels plunging into "so bad it's horrible" territory.

Bobby Kotick will be the one to rule them all...

only a matter of time...

Kollega:
Woo yay! Run to the Reich, you dirty cowards! No-one is going to regret your countless sequels plunging into "so bad it's horrible" territory.

Does this count as a Godwin? I think it does.

:P

CantFaketheFunk:

Kollega:

Does this count as a Godwin? I think it does.

:P

Well, i meant "reich" as in "empire", and put it there because it's a case of added alliterative appeal.

EA and Activision better not combine because of this into AA: Activision Arts.

with EAs marketing and repeat tactics combined with Activisions idioticness, selling tactics and evil schemes, they would end the industry.

There's a Kotick/Palpatine joke in here somewhere.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
There's a Kotick/Palpatine joke in here somewhere.

Someone needs to photoshop this now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here