Rumor: Activision Adding Third Studio to Call of Duty Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Activision Adding Third Studio to Call of Duty Series

Activision is rumored to have put a third studio to work developing games for the Call of Duty series and is also considering turning the franchise into an MMOG.

There's no denying that Call of Duty is huge. Modern Warfare 2, in case you missed it, is the biggest thing in the history of everything, while Treyarch's World at War, often looked down upon as the red-headed stepchild of the series, is a major success in its own right, with 11 million copies sold as of June 2009. So is it really all that shocking that Activision apparently wants to hitch another car to that money train?

That's the deal, according to the LA Times, which in a recent report about the Modern Warfare 2 launch also casually mentioned in passing that the publisher has attached yet another developer to the franchise.

"As Activision seems to be discovering this year with Guitar Hero, there's danger when a title is overexposed with too many iterations. Nonetheless, the publisher has aggressive expansion plans for Call of Duty. Although Infinity Ward and Treyarch have produced sequels in alternating years since 2005, the publisher now has a third development studio working on future versions," the article says.

"One person close to the company said it also was considering adapting Call of Duty as a massively multiplayer online world," it continues. "The genre, in which Activision's Blizzard Entertainment subsidiary is a leader, requires huge upfront investments but can be very profitable as players pay a monthly subscription fee."

There's no indication of which studio has been drafted to the cause, which war they might be taking on or whether the potential MMOG plans tie in with the recent report that Activision is looking at monetizing Call of Duty online gameplay. But as the report notes, even mega-popular franchises like Guitar Hero - or, potentially, Call of Duty - can be threatened by overexposure. Do we really need three studios hammering out games for a single series?

We've dropped a line to Activision seeking confirmation of the report and will update when we hear back.

This, totally does not surprise me at all one bit.

It's proof enough with all the actions that Activision has been taking that it's corporate greed is all that matters.

If there's money to be made, Activision will force blood from the stone.

hmm, i've heard this is confirmed from all the other sources. honestly wouldn't surprise me, especially considering how IW has been talking about branching out of the COD franchise. I just hope they make more quality games than Treyarch...

Teh_Doomage:

It's proof enough with all the actions that Activision has been taking that it's corporate greed is all that matters.

The stone being my willingness to buy their games.

And it's DRY

Isn't Blizzard working on a unnamed MMO project not based on one of their existing IPs? Let fly the conspiracy theories!

cool. I hope to see another Warfare game soon...maybe within a year of MW2's release.
or sooner..

Slycne:
Isn't Blizzard working on a unnamed MMO project not based on one of their existing IPs? Begin the conspiracy theories!

I hope it's this

Call of Duty, an MMO? Surely they must know that would never work. But then, this is activision, the company with a CEO who has been quoted saying "We reward profit and nothing else" as well as "We've been trying to take the fun out of making video games." So it's understandable they would forget all sense the moment they took a wiff of the trail of money that follows WoW and the idea of monthly subscriptions.

But as this as still a rumour, I'll hold out hope that they'll actually learn a lesson from Tabula Rasa, FPS's mixed with MMO's don't work. I'd be curious to know if Kotick has even played a game in his life.

Slycne:
Isn't Blizzard working on a unnamed MMO project not based on one of their existing IPs? Let fly the conspiracy theories!

I think it was "an original" IP, actually. But man, what a twist that would be.

Honestly, I think Treyarch gets a bum rap. WaW was a perfectly decent game.

Yassen:

But as this as still a rumour, I'll hold out hope that they'll actually learn a lesson from Tabula Rasa, FPS's mixed with MMO's don't work.

Just because Tabula Rasa failed doesn't mean all MMOFPSs are doomed to fail. Planetside still maintains a small but loyal fan base, enough to keep the servers running and they are working on a sequel. CCP is also developing an MMOFPS to work in tandem with EVE.

A Call of Duty MMO would likely do quite well because it will be hitting on a number of the same points that help make World of Warcraft popular. Now would it be a good game would remain to be seen.

If they do this can i go kill em?

As begrudgingly as I am to admit this but it isn't Call of Duty if it wasn't developed but IW. Cod3 was no good. Cod5 is a re-skinned Cod4 with zombies added.

Cod1 made you part of an army. (granted your still a one man army, but you never felt alone)
Cod2 introduced the rebounding health ::edit:: (yeah b4 Halo! :O) for PC? surely that is true! XD
Cod4 had an awesome achievement/rpg element in MP (and let you play as gunner in an AC-130 that is pure badassery!)
Cod6 was a publicity magnet

Neither Cod3 (wagging melee combat) or Cod5 (zombie panic gameplay, lots of fun btw) was all that headlining. Treyarch did a fine job with Cod5 but they just don't bring any spice to the franchise.

But if its money what they are after, an MMO would be interesting to say the least. If they brought in another company for that id say thats cool. But dear god don't have them make FPS' for the CoD franchise D:

I'm glad that they are adding a new studio to work on the game, maybe these guys will actually make a good campaign and not overprice the game.

I am not glad that the idiots who run Activision decided that turning franchises into MMO's was a good idea. What are you going to do in a Call of Duty MMO? Run around, talk to people then go shoot other NPC's whilst putting points into a specialty? We can already do that; multiplayer rings a bell?

Activision can suck my dick.

CantFaketheFunk:

Slycne:

I think it was "an original" IP, actually. But man, what a twist that would be.

Honestly, I think Treyarch gets a bum rap. WaW was a perfectly decent game.

Blimey, someone else who thinks Treyarch are alright. CoD 3's multiplayer was excellent in my humble opinion, and the WaW campaign was lovely and cinematic. I'm looking forward to seeing what this new studio can bring to the equation though.

an MMO? they would have to compete with WoW, and I doubt that it will survive Blizz's monster of a game (yes, I know that its part of Activision)and I dont think a FPSMMO would survive it...
just my opinion, of course, but I honestly don't see a MMO based on CoD surviving too long, and they should use their money and time elsewhere.

DTWolfwood:
(yeah b4 Halo! :O)

Whoa, Halo came out 4 YEARS before call of duty 2.

Teh_Doomage:

As long as that blood is quality games like WoW or MW2 I don't mind buying the good games they make.

not surprised but i will only ever buy IW's cods/mws as treyarch just copy and flop.

Woodsey:

You should have more respect for your bodily extensions.

Anyway, hooray.
More games where you shoot at people with the same ten weapon types.
Can't have enough of those.

WrongSprite:

DTWolfwood:

Than sir i am incorrect! but damn Cod2 seems soooooo old. <.<

MaxTheReaper:

Woodsey:

You should have more respect for your bodily extensions.

Self-esteem issues "/

I kid.

DTWolfwood:

WrongSprite:

DTWolfwood:

Than sir i am incorrect! but damn Cod2 seems soooooo old. <.<

Yeahh it does....probably all the sequels :D

But yeah, Halo's 2001 and CoD2's 2005 XD

So we'll start seeing COD games every six months? Fuck that.

Slycne:

but.....wha..........

great, and here I was about to do laundry, now I have to lurk for connections..............

also, how would a CoD MMO actually work? they already have the MMOG part down with the leveling system, but as an MMORPG? how the hell would that even work?

WrongSprite:

DTWolfwood:

And 2 before Call of Duty.

This might be a good move though a better move would be to just give the COD franchise a rest for 3 or 4 years and see if people still want it.

See Activision in their extremely finite vision seem determined to release a new COD game every November and with only two studios tag teaming this is clearly causing compromises in quality... MW2 was just not very fresh and is on the wrong side of the 6 hour minimum acceptable length of singleplayer.

You cannot make a new engine and a game to go with it within 2 years... you just can't. Now three dev studios in tag teams would give a much more comfortable 3 year development cycle.

Though the most ideal route would be to... I don't know... not try to make a "franchise" out of Call of Duty.

By all means, keep making sequels for it... but not every year. I'd rather have just one Truly Classic call of duty game every 3-4 years than to try and desperately churn them out at such a rate.

I mean they tried to do that with the James Bond franchise, one every year... yet the best ones are those that time were taken over.

As much as I sympathize with the complaints about Activision milking its cash cow bone dry EA Sports styly... why is it that just now people are really starting to get off about it? Look it up, there's been a Call of Duty game every year since 2005! Even since 2003, if you count the CoD 1 add-on. Now that's hardly news, is it?

lol franchise.

I love how everyone likes to ramble about 'Corporate Greed' here...

For some reason here I am thinking that gamers give them that money. You know, when they buy their games. That they release. For money.

Sigh.

I only buy the CoDs made by Infinity Ward.

Ori Disciple:
an MMO? they would have to compete with WoW, and I doubt that it will survive Blizz's monster of a game (yes, I know that its part of Activision)and I dont think a FPSMMO would survive it...
just my opinion, of course, but I honestly don't see a MMO based on CoD surviving too long, and they should use their money and time elsewhere.

yeah but then you still have all the Cod Fan boys which I'm pretty sure beats WoW's fanbase and im talking about the Fan Fanboys that will play a sequel to the game they liked and even if it sucks they will keep playing and try to convince everyone else that it's better than jesus.

Fallenangel157:

Ori Disciple:

yeah but then you still have all the Cod Fan boys which I'm pretty sure beats WoW's fanbase

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Wait you're serious?

if Activision wants to pump the money out of me not only with guitar hero (which lost its charm after 3), half-decent games (WaW and many others i dont know the name of) plus an P2P MMO?

Activision, you are now offcialy the worst game related company since Atari or LJN.

activision you money grabbing bastards.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or