Times Online Points to Games as Motivation for Planned School Attack

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Times Online Points to Games as Motivation for Planned School Attack

Predictably, the fact that a French boy played World of WarCraft is the only story that matters, even though he did not go through with the planned attack on his school.

A 13-year-old kid was arrested in Beauvais, France on Tuesday for attempted murder. Known only as Bastien, he made a post on his blog hinting an attack at his school and his parents, seeing the post, called the police. The authorities shut down Saint Esprit college, a Catholic private secondary school, and barricaded the front entrance. Bastien allegedly left his home with his father's shotgun and 25 cartridges, but upon seeing the police at the school's gate, ditched the gun in a field and ran off. He was later found in an internet cafe by his father. Bastien's friends said that he played World of WarCraft.

Those are the only facts known, yet the Times Online found it necessary to run with the headline "Computer games fan 'planned school massacre.'" It is upsetting that even an attack that was thwarted is blamed on the fact that the perpetrator played videogames. With games becoming so ubiquitous, that biographical detail has almost no bearing on stories of this nature. It might just as well be reported that Bastien played basketball, or that he enjoyed drinking Coke.

According to the French prosecutor, the boy, usually an excellent student, stated that he was upset that he recently received bad grades from his teachers and that he was planning to kill them all because of it. Hmm, maybe the academic pressures of a very competitive school atmosphere pushed Bastien to the edge of possibility committing murder? Maybe? Nah, it was clearly videogames.

It is just sloppy reporting by an uninformed writer, especially since the article describes WoW as a "hugely popular online game in which the player takes the role of a fantasy warrior from the Middle Ages." Yeah, right. The Middle Ages had orcs.

I don't know about you, but I'm disgusted.

Source: TimesOnline via GamePolitics

The Middle Ages didn't have orcs??

I'm sure playing WoW makes you better at performing terrorist activities... I mean seriously wtf...

CantFaketheFunk:

He must be lying. Next, he's going to tell us there were no dragons, either.

Oh for fuck sake, I can see how playing WoW for a while would drive you insane but I think the fact that his Dad's got a shotgun lying around might be more of a direct influence.

*sigh*

Headline!: Kid enjoys potato chips, kills 5.
*ahem*
Yay, glad to see our beautiful games are still the scapegoat for the 21st century.

I bet you they are using this to take flak away from that private Catholic school....I mean who knows what they could've done to him.

Greyfox105:
*ahem*
Yay, glad to see our beautiful games are still the scapegoat for the 21st century.

Like TV, film, rock and roll, music and witches in the centuries before.

SilentHunter7:

CantFaketheFunk:

Orcs and Dragons easily made up half of the subject matter in my world history classes.

OT/ Really? Should we expect anything else from a news source that requires rateings. Nothing gets people reading like sensationalized reactionary bullshit.

[quote="Greg Tito" post="7.156471.3850547"]Times Online Points to Games as Motivation for Planned-School Attack [/qoute]

There's your problem right there

Hey, I just noticed something. A French kid chickened out. Way to break the stereotype, kid!

And this is why I gave up being a member of the press, and instead decided to write stories.

Why is it that some people still think that all games involve guns and massive levels of violence?

You can tell from the fucking box art that WOW is most definately a fantasy game, and not an uber realistic FPS.

Croaker42:

SilentHunter7:

CantFaketheFunk:

Orcs and Dragons easily made up half of the subject matter in my world history classes.

OT/ Really? Should we expect anything else from a news source that requires rateings. Nothing gets people reading like sensationalized reactionary bullshit.

...and I suppose they're going to tell us they had names for their gold coins.

HG131:
Hey, I just noticed something. A French kid chickened out. Way to break the stereotype, kid!

BWAHAHHAAHAHA

Woodsey:
Oh for fuck sake, I can see how playing WoW for a while would drive you insane but I think the fact that his Dad's got a shotgun lying around might be more of a direct influence.

*sigh*

Maybe he has lvl 80 lock picking or something.

I am also disgusted. People wonder why journalism is dead, and why newspapers are going out of print. Well, take a long, hard look at modern media, and you will understand why. From the competition for ratings and readership came sensationalism, and from there all hell broke loose. Nowadays with our media barons, there is no journalism, there is only criticism form either the left or the right towards each other, and biased reports. Couple that with reports on subjects the "journalist" clearly did not read up on and you have one stiff, stiff corpse.

Warstratigier:
I bet you they are using this to take flak away from that private Catholic school....I mean who knows what they could've done to him.

Unfortunately, that's no laughing matter. A tiger doesn't change it's spots... no matter how many times caught.

Lol, he must have ran off beause he couldn't find a tank or a healer

LazerFX:

Warstratigier:

Unfortunately, that's no laughing matter. A tiger doesn't change it's spots... no matter how many times caught.

Tigers don't have spots. Quit mixing metaphors.

I'd comment on this here but I've saved my rage for the comments section on the Times Article. I suggest everyone do the same. Isn't the TImes known for basically being a shitty tabloid in the UK? I thought they also ran some article called "Ban these violent Games". One of the games included was the original 10 years old ID software made Doom.

Brb raging at the Times.

Edit: Nevermind it was The Daily Fail I mean Mail.

I'm disgusted that his own parents would call the cops on him. So much for loyalty.

In other news: Water is wet. The sun is on fire. Etc.

I really hate the state of the media nowadays....

LOOOK ATTTT MEEEEE! I am going to kill you in order to gain more levels and loot your miserable corpses out of the chump change that they have! Then I will start punching you and kicking other idiots to score points! Then run over you using a stolen car-

OK, I will stop right now.

This is bad people.

semicolon left parentheses.

WoW did this?! Really? You couldn't come up with anything else TimesOnline?

EDIT: Anyone notice that he was playing WoW AFTER the attempted shooting?

Captain Pancake:
I'm disgusted that his own parents would call the cops on him. So much for loyalty.

Keep in mind that we are talking about the French.

OT: When Bastien ditched the gun, he should have called Falcor and went of to Fantastica to lay low for a few days.

Every week. Every damn week a story like this comes along. Sooner or later someone's going to do something about these terrible video games they keep hearing about. And it won't be pretty.

bernthalbob616:
Why is it that some people still think that all games involve guns and massive levels of violence?

You can tell from the fucking box art that WOW is most definately a fantasy game, and not an uber realistic FPS.

Yep. Not a shotgun in sight. Maybe he watched Mad Max or something. Times Online's blatantly stupid connection is certainly uncalled for.

Serious note: school violence sucks. I'm glad they caught the little bastard. Nothing excuses him.

Humorous note: *snort!* Now, if he was a true WoW player, he'd have crafted that shotgun (and the ammunition) himself. Engineers forever!

Greyfox105:

Breaking News!

Yeah, lucky they caught him, he was a level 80 hunter, he woulda kicked our asses with his dragon whelp(i've not played wow in a while and i'm sure there was one talent that let you tame exotic pets:P)

Gaderael:
OT: When Bastien ditched the gun, he should have called Falcor and went of to Fantastica to lay low for a few days.

You, sir, win the thread. I knew I should have put a Neverending Story bit in there.

This is just another instance of trying to find blame where there is none. I hope the boy gets some counseling and turns his life around.

I almost can't wait for an actual murder to happen where the victim is teabagged, post-mortem, and the cops have it on tape. The first actual game-related murder would make for some hilarious headlines.
"Murderer Caught On Kill-Cam. Games To Blame For Teabagging"
"Murderer and Pervert Arrested Playing Halo"

It would be even more ridiculous if he were never caught:
"Teabagger Strikes Again, Noob"

Video Games, the scapegoat of newsworld. Murder, Video Games caused it. Iran building nuclear weapons, Video Games fault. The Apocalypse coming, Rockstar did it.

i hate people that do this to video games. the kid probly needed help be for WoW and dosnt WoW have like over 60 million user and only one show violent activety which makes it the game fault

You're all dumb, you can clearly see that this boy was influenced not only by games, but the evil horde.

OT: Yet again another game being blamed and it's about as violent as two 7 year olds whacking each other with funoodles in a pool. Maybe it was just sheer stupidity mixed with rage, how can you tie a shotgun to a MMO about elves and orcs?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here