Xbox iPlayer Deal Delayed Indefinitely

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox iPlayer Deal Delayed Indefinitely

Discussions over bringing the iPlayer to the Xbox 360 have hit a 'stumbling block' according to sources close to the BBC.

Whilst UK owners of PS3s and Wiis have been enjoying BBC content via the iPlayer, Xbox 360 owners have been left out in the cold, something that looks set to continue as discussions between the BBC and Microsoft about bringing the iPlayer to Xbox Live break down. The point of contention is that Microsoft want to make access to the iPlayer available only to those with Gold subscriptions, which is something that the BBC, as a public service broadcaster, simply cannot do.

"[Microsoft] wants to ensure that only those paying for Xbox Live Gold accounts can access its additional content services ... This does not fit with the BBC's model and Microsoft will not budge at the moment. It is really frustrating for those involved on the BBC side who want to make sure iPlayer is rolled out on as many popular entertainment platforms as possible," said a source close to the BBC.

It's difficult to see Microsoft changing its policy just to accommodate the BBC, and as that is what it would seemingly require to see the iPlayer on Xbox Live, I think I'm about ready to give this one up for lost.

Source: Telegraph via 1up

Uhrgh. Why does microsoft always require a dollar sign in front of everything before they even consider doing it? I mean, they have most of the worlds money, they could be generous once and not even notice the loss.

As much as I love my Xbox and Windows, Microsoft are such dicks.

I dont understand this. You can get it for free on the internet, ps3 and wii right?
Why on earth would people pay for something you can get elsewhere. If MS were to give it to silver users too, then maybe, just maybe it might help increase sales

This is such a lame move on Microsoft's part.

Good old Mirco$oft.

Microsoft are money grabbing bastards, and this is coming from someone who actually likes them. No matter though, I'll simply watch it for free on my Virgin Media box or on my laptop...

Greedy sons of...

BBC won't change there minds, the only loser is the Xbox owner.
As this fellow said...

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Congratulations! You worked out that the dollar sign looks like an "S"! You are the first person ever to realise that! You're so witty!

OT - I do feel bad for 360 gamers. The optimised iPlayer on the PS3 has got me watching TV again. Of course, it's only CBBC and the occasional round of Lazy Town when I wanna yell at things. It's not fucking Sports Candy! It's called fucking fruit!

Chipperz:

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Congratulations! You worked out that the dollar sign looks like an "S"! You are the first person ever to realise that! You're so witty!

Calm down tiger.

I don't see the problem here. Everyone has a PC anyway, why not just watch it on that?

Oh Microsoft. Never does your quest to squeeze every penny out of your customers not fail to amuse me. *note before the free-market etc fags chime in* I'm not saying they are in the wrong, only that it amuses me.

Danny Ocean:

Chipperz:

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Calm down tiger.

I don't see the problem here. Everyone has a PC anyway, why not just watch it on that?

Gaah yeah, I shouldn't care, but putting the dollar sign instead of the "s" is one of the stupidest things I've seen in a loooooong time. Pisses me right off.

Also, PCs are very rarely set up in places of comfort - consoles get the positions in front of the couch, on the TV facing the bed, that kinda stuff. iPlayer on consoles is basically putting iPlayer on your TV.

Danny Ocean:

Chipperz:

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Calm down tiger.

Because not all of us have decent speakers. That, or a lot of people don't want to sit in front of their PCs.

I have a VGA cable to my TV, but the sound is awful.

Sky, Twitter, Facebook, Zune> Iplayer. Everyone has a pc with internet so why not just watch iPlayer on that?

I love the iPlayer, but I'd much rather watch it on my nice big screen TV than my laptop. Luckily I have a PS3 so I can. But then XBox has the Sky Player so it's not totally devoid of TV features.

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
Sky, Twitter, Facebook, Zune> Iplayer. Everyone has a pc with internet so why not just watch iPlayer on that?

Maybe people want to watch it on their Xboxes! Maybe they should be able to for free just like PS3 and Wii. Microsoft isn't winning anyone over with actions like this.

Trivun:
Microsoft are money grabbing bastards, and this is coming from someone who actually likes them. No matter though, I'll simply watch it for free on my Virgin Media box or on my laptop...

Snap. I love my xbox, but Microsoft are out there for everything they can get. I don't know what else needs to be contributed to this discussion...

Not sure what the big deal is. Isn't this what PC's and, heck, even televisions are for anyway?

SamSmith:
As much as I love my Xbox and Windows, Microsoft are such dicks.

Yes, indeed. Actually, most game companies are at least some of the time. 2x for Activison.

What the hell is an iPlayer? And why should I care, considering that I live in America? You know what, don't answer either question.

In their greed, it seems that Microsoft have underestimated what the license fee means, believing that they can get a second payment for something which is offered free at point of use everywhere else, including Windows.

Furburt:
Uhrgh. Why does microsoft always require a dollar sign in front of everything before they even consider doing it? I mean, they have most of the worlds money, they could be generous once and not even notice the loss.

I agree, greedy bastards!

The Xbox would, of course, be yet another device that I wouldn't actually use iPlayer on, because mostly I use it to have something on to idly watch whilst I've got a game on.

Crimsane:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

Maybe people want to watch it on their Xboxes! Maybe they should be able to for free just like PS3 and Wii. Microsoft isn't winning anyone over with actions like this.

Yes they are. They are winning the favor of all the gold members who pay thier 60 a year for features like this. What I don't understand is the problem. Why can't they make it for gold members. It isn't like they are paying directly for the service. It is just an extra.

squid5580:

Crimsane:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

Yes they are. They are winning the favor of all the gold members who pay thier 60 a year for features like this. What I don't understand is the problem. Why can't they make it for gold members. It isn't like they are paying directly for the service. It is just an extra.

Yea but BBC provide iPlayer for free, they don't want people to pay for a free service you can get on the internet when you already pay for your TV licence fee

I couldn't give a shit about iPlayer, or Netflix, or Sky on my xbox.

Am i the only one who plays games on my xbox now?

Why should you get any of that stuff for free? They dont owe you shit

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

These three words, It explains everything.

if you are already paying a fee for tv license then you shouldnt have to pay microsoft again for the priveledge

Timelord91:

squid5580:

Crimsane:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

Yea but BBC provide iPlayer for free, they don't want people to pay for a free service you can get on the internet when you already pay for your TV licence fee

So would they be paying twice then (I mean the consumer)? Be paying 60 bucks a year and then paying X amount for the TV license on top of that? If that is the case then it doesn't make much sense for MS not to charge an extra fee of top of the license fee and open it to all. Although the discussion would be the same.

*EDIT* Wait a second. Does MS see any of that license money? Or are we to expect that they invest the time, money and bandwidth for free?

Pet Peeve time:

A company is an "it" not a "they."

So, "Microsoft has," and "Microsoft is," rather than "Microsoft have" and "Microsoft are." The more you know!

squid5580:

Crimsane:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

The BBC is paid for by taxes. It therefore doesn't contain any adverts or whatever because it doesn't need them and it's free. People don't want to pay double to watch it (I guess) and the BBC doesn't want to force them to.

edit: Bugger, ninja'd

jedstopher:

squid5580:

Crimsane:

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

The BBC is paid for by taxes. It therefore doesn't contain any adverts or whatever because it doesn't need them and it's free. People don't want to pay double to watch it (I guess) and the BBC doesn't want to force them to.

edit: Bugger, ninja'd

Actually you weren't ninja'ed. You answered a question I had in my second post. We already are paying MS "twice" for the same service. We pay for our internet we get through whatever companies we use. Then we pay MS for being able to use it that every other company gives away for free. I just can't fault MS for not offering a free service it would have to invest resources in to make available.

Better Funk?

Danny Ocean:

Chipperz:

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Calm down tiger.

Exactly. I've got 2 PCs and 2 TVs, one has Virgin and one has Freeview, so I can watch Iplayer in four different places at the same time. Somehow. If you've got even basic cable or satellite on any TV in your house, you can get iPlayer.

shifty89:
if you are already paying a fee for tv license then you shouldnt have to pay microsoft again for the priveledge

If you have a TV license, the likelihood is that you have access to Iplayer on your TV. If you have the internet (which you would, seeing as it would be on Live, you can access it on that. It doesn't matter. At all.

Danny Ocean:

Chipperz:

Ranooth:
Good old Mirco$oft.

Calm down tiger.

My arguemnt for pro PC gaming, everyone has one, why not have it do everything?

Pr0 InSaNiTy:

Y'know, the same could be said for everything else you said except Zune.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here