Run Over the Undead in Zombie Driver

Run Over the Undead in Zombie Driver

As it turns out, the cast of Left 4 Dead was doing everything the hard way.

The scenario is familiar to most gamers (or general nerds) by now: A disaster - in this case, a chemical disaster - has changed the general populace from normal, everyday humans to brainless, ravenous monsters who may or may not actually be undead. You're one of the few survivors, so what do you do? Do you hide in your house and wait for the end? Do you grab a machete and a shotgun and try to make a break to safer waters?

No. In Zombie Driver, you get in your car. What transpires is a mix between games like Left 4 Dead and the classic Spy Hunter or the original Grand Theft Auto - vehicular mayhem from an isometric perspective - that features one lucky survivor tearing through the hordes of infected individuals with railguns, flamethrowers, and four-wheeled steel.

The game, developed by Polish indie studio EXOR, supposedly features a free-roaming city with 17 story missions, upgradable cars and weapons that include flamethrowers, miniguns, and railguns, but who cares about any of that? You're slaughtering zombies en masse with a car, and that's awesome.

Zombie Driver is out on GamersGate and Steam in a measly two hours, and it won't even set you back $10. Impulse buy, anyone?

Holy fuck, it's got railguns.
And flamers.
And rocket launchers.

That looks awesome, it really does. Do want.

looks like a flash game i played with better graphics.

It kind of reminds me of Jackal for the NES. Especially the rescuing civilians by driving up to the sides of houses part.

gah, come out faster, I already bead zeno clash while I was waiting for this

Looks good, but I doubt it'll stay good for more than 10 minutes of playtime.

Dude, that looks AWESOME! GTA 2 + Dead Rising = Game that was made for me!

Now if it just had zombies on bicycles toting bags of newspapers....

Eh, not my type of game. I'll try the demo if it comes out, but still, I doubt it'll warrant a buy.

Ha, looks pretty good, hope it comes out on PSN eventually.

Probably wont because we have Burn, Zombie, Burn. :(

Looks very fun. I'll shoot my friend this trailer, he digs the zombie slaughter.

Argh! Damn you! I rashly bought it as the article suggested, then remembered I'm on mobile broadband.

Laptop's graphics card is so crap it can't run it. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Torque669:
Ha, looks pretty good, hope it comes out on PSN eventually.

Probably wont because we have Burn, Zombie, Burn. :(

Eastern europe rarely gets licenses to develop for consoles so blame sony for not letting you play it.

CantFaketheFunk:
What transpires is a mix between games like Left 4 Dead and the classic Spy Hunter or the original Grand Theft Auto

Looks more like Twisted Metal meets Crazy Taxi...

Seems more like a free flash game to me, I cant see this being very fun for an extended amount of time. Although it does have cool graphics.

Let me guess... No plans for this to come out box-retail?

I would only play this on my cellphone, but what can you expect from indie developers.

Amnestic:
And flamers.
And rocket launchers.

This. Pretty much epic win in this game right here, it's like taking GTA and combining it with that one zombie game where all you do is light them on fire, and left 4 dead.

Anyone else getting a GTA 2 vibe from this game? Like before it was 3d.

Dude, this game kicks ass - I'm 7 missions in, and still having fun. It handles a helluva lot like GTA2 (like TsunamiWombat said, before it went 3D), but with a much improved physics engine (nVidia PhysX I suppose). It's a simple game, but totally worth the $10.

Also gonna say, the cars give me a Twisted Metal vibe, which are awesome in themselves.

Sounds like Carmageddon w/o the racing part.

So, more or less, twisted metal and dead rising's love child?

I preordered this game and so far it is a waste of $9. The controls fucking suck and the trailer was misleading. WASD or arrow keys for driving and you cannot change them, and no game controller support. I have to go back and forth to try and clear all the zombie at half of the places. Oh, and you barely get any ammo for the weapons. It would be a lot easier to steer with the mouse even. The game is pretty much unplayable for me.

Amnestic:
And flamers.
And rocket launchers.

Railguns + Zombie Apocalypse = Epic Win.

I think Ill need to invest in this little game...

First thing I thought on reading that was "Weyhey! Death Race(the Exidy arcade game of yeaars ago) remake".
Man I'm old;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here