Smithsonian Planning a Videogame Art Exhibit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Smithsonian Planning a Videogame Art Exhibit

The Smithsonian American Art Museum has announced that it will hold an exhibit entitled The Art of Video Games, an in-depth look at the birth and growth of videogames as an artistic medium.

Part of the Smithsonian Institution, the Smithsonian American Art Museum was founded in 1829 and displays works from across the United States and all the significant art movements that have occurred in the country over the past two centuries. While there have been other exhibits of art inspired by videogames, the museum says this new exhibit will be the first to "examine comprehensively the evolution of videogames themselves as an artistic medium."

"Videogames have grown to become a significant part of our culture since the introduction of the first home video games in the early 1970s. More than seventy percent of American households play videogames on a regular basis, and many families now have two generations of computer users, and gamers, at home," the Smithsonian said. "From the Atari VCS to the Playstation 3, The Art of Video Games will show the development of visual effects and aesthetics during four decades, the emergence of games as a means for storytelling, the influence of world events and popular culture on game development, and the impact that the games can have on society."

The display will include videogame footage, interviews with developers and artists, screenshots, working game consoles for visitors to play and more. Game industry expert Chris Melissinos, chief gaming officer at Sun Microsystems and the founder of JavaGaming.org, will be the guest curator of the exhibit.

The Art of Video Games will run from March 16 to September 9, 2012 - yes, that's 2012, so you have lots of time to schedule around it. For more information, head on over to americanart.si.edu.

2012? I'll be there! I wonder if my phone will let me schedule that far in advance...

Im going.
END OF DISCUSSION
This is really cool!
It will be interesting to see how much things have changes since pong.

People who don't think games are used for training 8 year olds to commit horrible crimes, and actually acknowledge that it's a medium that can be held as an art form, like movies and music?!

Excellent! Now we're getting somewhere!

i am so booking a ticket to america and going to whatever state that is in.

xxhazyshadowsxx:
People who don't think games are used for training 8 year olds to commit horrible crimes, and actually acknowledge that it's a medium that can be held as an art form, like movies and music?!

took a while but finally progress.

Sounds excellent. I've been considering taking another trip to DC in the spring, but perhaps I'll wait a couple of years.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

And it's a government-run organization too.

Cool, reminds me of a similar exhibition that they had at the Natural History museum in Edinburgh, which was pretty cool. It basically took us through the ages, starting with space invaders, and ending on beyond good and evil (Which was, at the time, one of the most state of the art games).

I tell you what, if I'm ever in america between now and when I'm eighteen, I'll definitely check it out.

People in government actually starting to take games seriously as an art form rather than just regarding them as murder simulators that train children to commit henious atrocities? Ah, progress. This is good news.

AWC Viper:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

It's probably in Washington, D.C., which isn't a state. But the state of Maryland surrounds D.C.

OT: Hooray! Now maybe the negative view on gaming is finally starting to decline. Also, I would like to see this exhibit.

thats pretty cool, i should take a trip down there from the great north once.

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

It's probably in Washington, D.C., which isn't a state. But the state of Maryland surrounds D.C.

OT: Hooray! Now maybe the negative view on gaming is finally starting to decline. Also, I would like to see this exhibit.

Thanks mate. so looks like i'm off to Maryland in 2012.

I'd like to be able to go, unfortunatly one large pond in the way.

Im sure it will be extremly interesting though, I hope I know someone who goes so I can at least hear all the gossip

oh brilliant! I'll have to check that out at somepoint or another.

I wander if I'll go America anytime soon?

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

No prob. Just avoid the doomsayers and the campaigners, and you'll be fine. I think...

xxhazyshadowsxx:

Finally Video games are getting some recognition.

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

No prob. Just avoid the doomsayers and the campaigners, and you'll be fine. I think...

mate...i'm Australian. i have a knife and some Bundy rum. i'll be just fine, although if you could point me in there general direction that would be greatly appreciated. >.>

AWC Viper:
mate...i'm Australian. i have a knife and some Bundy rum. i'll be just fine, although if you could point me in there general direction that would be greatly appreciated. >.>

Good luck getting those past customs, but if you do, the more power to you.

And, unfortunately, I don't know the general direction to any Smithsonian. I've only been to D.C. once, and living in the unbearably hot state of insanity Florida means I don't know my way around Maryland that much. Sorry.

oh if there is anyway I can go I'm going to find a way.

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

And, unfortunately, I don't know the general direction to any Smithsonian. I've only been to D.C. once, and living in the unbearably hot state of insanity Florida means I don't know my way around Maryland that much. Sorry.

yeah your customs are a bit touchy after all that terrorism stuff huh. maybe i will bring the rum and buy the knife there.

That's fantastic, a renowned institution taking video games seriously, maybe we're finally getting somewhere.

FINALLY!

My faith in humanity is nearly restored!

Now all I need is for John Lennon to come back from the dead and for Stephanie Myer to get hit by a car: then I will have achieved nirvana.

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

yeah your customs are a bit touchy after all that terrorism stuff huh. maybe i will bring the rum and buy the knife there.

You might not be able to even get the rum past customs. I'm not too certain on the rules as they pertain to liquids and if they apply to check-in and carry-on or just carry-on, but it'd probably be better to err on the side of caution and leave the rum at home.

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

You might not be able to even get the rum past customs. I'm not too certain on the rules as they pertain to liquids and if they apply to check-in and carry-on or just carry-on, but it'd probably be better to err on the side of caution and leave the rum at home.

well my friends were able to take 2 bottles to both england and germany.

maybe i should just check it.

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Maybe. Besides, customs might change in a few years, but I'd still suggest to err on the side of caution.

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Maybe. Besides, customs might change in a few years, but I'd still suggest to err on the side of caution.

Perhaps........yeah i guess your right, no Bundy on my 2012 trip to the states *sobs*

Sounds coool, can't wait, wonder if we get a hands on with stuff like pong, or if they'll have the original pacman arcadeing system :D

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Heart of Darkness:

AWC Viper:

Perhaps........yeah i guess your right, no Bundy on my 2012 trip to the states *sobs*

But no worries! It'll be waiting for you once you get back! And then you can have a drinking party with yourself and your mates!

Well, I'm going to have to save up money for plane tickets now. This is something I just can't miss!

this pretty much kicked the 'can games be an art form?' threads in the face. it is very awesome news :P

This is just amazing! I can't wait!

Hey, just in time to legitimize a video game art presentation I'm doing for my Fine Arts class.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

Exactly. Rejoice and have a beer!

Seriously though, I will go there. Although they will probably put WoW in there, and my soul and the rest of those there will be devoured in an instant.

Anarien:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

And it's a government-run organization too.

Indeed. This is a great day, my brothers and sisters!

About time... Though, I wonder, if in general exhibits are set up by people who have an interest in a certain thing, be it art, history, literature, fashion or technology etc. Will the same be true for this?

Or is it doomed to end up a tepid selection of what popular consciousness considers to be the 'standout' examples of videogaming? From Pac-Man to Mario, with possibly some 'modern classics' to balance things out. -_^ Who knows, if we're lucky they'll throw in a Magnavox Oddessy or a Tennis for Two machine? Pheh.

They should have a "Misguided doomsday theory exhibit" instead, it would be much more appropriate for 2012

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here