U.K. Workers Calling In Sick to Play Videogames

Pages 1 2 NEXT

U.K. Workers Calling In Sick to Play Videogames

A new study has revealed that more than half the sick days used in the U.K. are burned up on things other than actual illness, the most common reason being - you guessed it - staying home to play videogames.

A survey of 1920 workers in the U.K. found that only 46 percent of sick days were used as a result of actual illness. Nearly three-quarters of the men in the survey admitted to having faked a sick day "in recent years," compared to 65 percent of women; while 24 percent of men say they lie about being sick so they can stay home to play games, it's a far less compelling excuse for women, only five percent of whom fake illness so they can indulge the habit. 14 percent of men also said they have no hesitation about calling in sick on launch days for high-profile games like Modern Warfare 2 or Grand Theft Auto IV.

"The sickie is a time-honored employment tradition, and although employers, including myself, wouldn't be happy to know that our workers are faking a cold in order to play the latest PS3 or Xbox 360 hit, you've got to admire their dedication to their interest," said Mark Pearson, managing director at MyVoucherCodes.co.uk, which commissioned the survey. "Whatever the reason people decide not to go into work despite being fully capable, sickies cost the U.K. economy a shedload of money. Perhaps the government could look to recoup lost revenue from games developers and fashion outlets?"

The top five reasons for faking a sick day, according to the survey:

1. To play videogames - 24%
  2. To attend an appointment - 16%
  3. To visit friends and family - 13%
  4. To do DIY around the house - 10%
  5. To catch up on sleep - 7%

The study said an estimated $11.5 billion is lost through people who call in sick unnecessarily, $1.6 billion of which is caused by videogaming alone.

Source: HR News

(photo)

I am not shocked really.I will probably follow suit(If I return from Somalia).

I have to admit I am guilty of all 5 of those...although I dont do it often, if its a new game (like with Borderlands) I did take a couple days off with apparant 'Swine Flu'

Although, I generally just over exagerate a previous or current condition...

Whats DIY?

This is not really supriseing, I mean this is what most people do after a big game release.

Kiutu:
Whats DIY?

Do-It-Yourself. Doing up your own home, putting up shelves/wallpapers and the like without the aid of professionals.

Kiutu:
Whats DIY?

Do It Yourself. Generally refers to home improvements (Building tables and shelves and shizz like that).

Welcome to Britain, where we'll go into work if we're sick but stay home to play games. Best work ethic ever.

Amnestic:

Welcome to Britain, where we'll go into work if we're sick but stay home to play games. Best work ethic ever.

If you're going to be ill and miserable, might as well share the love.

I can honestly say I have never called in sick when I wasn't actually sick. Now, the severity of my illness might not have warranted a day off, but I was still sick nonetheless.

I guess if I was salaried, it might be a different story, but since I make an hourly wage, me being at work is essential for collecting a paycheck and paying my bills since I don't get paid time off. Just recently, my boss forced me to go home when I got sick for two days. Damn H1N1 scare. All I had was a flippin' cold.

Hmmm.
See when I'm off because I'm ill, I usually play video games, but I don't take days off JUST to play games.

Well that's alright! Good for them!

But I mostly take days off because im tired or I gotta lot of crap to do so I need a day to get my stuff together.

Well that doesn't suprise me. I've done it at least once before.

You think that is bad?

I read that one of them was a judge!

We don't have best buy in the UK yet

Video games weren't around in 1920! I call shenanigans. (har har)

Edit:
And this quote is funny:

"The sickie is a time-honored employment tradition, and although employers, including myself, wouldn't be happy to know that our workers are faking a cold in order to play the latest PS3 or Xbox 360 hit, you've got to admire their dedication to their interest," said Mark Pearson, managing director at MyVoucherCodes.co.uk, which commissioned the survey.

It's like he's saying, "I admire these people, but if you're my employee, please don't stop hiding the fact that you do this. I don't admire these people that much."

Then:

"Whatever the reason people decide not to go into work despite being fully capable, sickies cost the U.K. economy a shedload of money. Perhaps the government could look to recoup lost revenue from games developers and fashion outlets?"

What kind of evidence does he have to back up his claim that it hurts the economy? Only one of the things listed is free (catching up on sleep), so these people are injecting money into the economy. And for employees who get paid for sick days, that is more money which will be injected into the economy as well. As long as they are productive when they are at work, I don't see the problem. They only get a certain number of sick days per year or at least if they take too many they'll get fired, so it's not like people are calling in sick for a year at a a time, playing video games and collecting money from their employers...

Eh, who hasn't done that?

Who hasn't stayed home from work/school/family events to play a game? Some days you just can't make it maybe you are genuinely sick, stress is considered a sickness by many. Games relieve stress so therefore! You are simply fixing it the same way you'd be taking and advil, only with more fun.

well. GO UK =]

Who the he'll is having time off to do DIY?! =P

Just noticed the picture is of a Best Buy - we don't actually have those in the U.K ;) although they do plan to open stores sometime during 2010.

Holy crap it's almost 2010. I'm almost 20 years of age. Weird.

Andy Chalk:

The study said an estimated $11.5 billion is lost through people who call in sick unnecessarily, $1.6 billion of which is caused by videogaming alone.

Interestingly in 2008 alone $43 billion was gained by the economy in unpaid overtime so it all balances out nicely.

Not surprised people use sick days for gaming, good way to relieve stress and mental health is just as important as physical.

Conveniently for me I caught a nasty bacterial infection the day before Dragon Age came out and was subsequently told by my doctor to stay home from work. Hence nothing better for me to do BUT stay home and vidya game.

Ha, ya I skipped school for three days during the Modern Warfare 2 launch.

I'd take those figures on how much sickies cost the economy with a bucket of salt.

People need a break every now and then. Also whenever some economists use facts like ...

"an estimated $11.5 billion is lost through people who call in sick unnecessarily, $1.6 billion of which is caused by video gaming alone"

...just pisses me off, so what if some money is being lost, its like saying "if people didn't go to the bathroom and used minimum time to breathe we would save 50 billion dollars!" bunch of greedy people they are. Games are fun, all work and no game makes for a sad worker who wishes he was home owning noobs and neglecting his wife.

nice :)

Why stay in?

Take your handheld to work!

....and get fired.

Hurray, we're lazy!

Oh noes, I think I'm comming down with a feaver... *cough*

Just because you're down with a flu or something, doesn't mean you can't hold a controller, I've spent sick days playing slow turn-based stuff, or watching movies, I'm usually more of an action player. Just because you're sick, doesn't mean you can't do anything, I'd die out of boredom if I didn't do this.
Also, catching up on sleep is just preventing yourself from getting sick, and is a perfectly valid reason to call in sick for sometimes.

I know someone just like this.

Well considering in my country your are entitled to 3-4 weeks holiday per year and 5 days sick leave I doubt it really costs the economy shit. You were always going to take these days off anyway so eh.

*cough* *cough* I'm sure no-one at the Escapist would EVER do that as well. ;)

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader:
Why stay in?

....and get fired.

You only get fired if you're shit at hiding it. I managed to almost complete Dungeons and Dragons on the PSP when I was working on the front desk at probation (I aint saying which one :p) I even had the wires trailing out of my desk drawer to keep it charged!

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader:
Why stay in?

....and get fired.

Or just be good at your job. I used to work at a call centre and when I played my DS, I managed 150% work output, but when they tried to stop me, my efficiency suddenly dropped to 100%.

Danny Ocean:
You think that is bad?

I read that one of them was a judge!

Proabably at home playing GTA:IV, running over some cops.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here