EA's Riccitiello: Over a Billion Gamers in the World Today

EA's Riccitiello: Over a Billion Gamers in the World Today

EA big boss John Riccitiello thinks that there are more than a billion people playing games all across the world, and that the emergence of online gaming has played a huge part in rapidly expanding that market.

In case you didn't get the memo around the time last month when Modern Warfare 2 smashed pretty much every single entertainment record in the book, gaming is a pretty big deal these days. But while mainstream games are more popular than ever, the number of people playing games skyrockets when you count all the stay-at-home moms playing Peggle, or the millions playing FarmVille and Mafia Wars on facebook.

In fact, in an interview with PBS, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that he was being conservative with an estimate that there were a billion gamers in the world today.

"With the advent of the new digital media landscape, we've seen a torrent of new consumers. Conservatively, if I add up mobile users who play games, social network people who play games, people who play PC games online in Asia, there's at least a billion people gaming today ... So we have five times the audience we've ever had, and it's growing in leaps and bounds."

This isn't necessarily at odds with the prediction Riccitiello made back in June, where he expected there would be a billion gamers "in a year or two," it just means that perhaps it came a little more quickly than expected.

Naturally, as a businessman Riccitiello was quick to point to the fact that his company was moving to position itself as a giant in the digital space - scooping up casual game maker Playfish in November for $300 million - which is where he expects the industry to see the most growth, saying last week that the digital space would be as "important as, and over time maybe more important than, our packaged goods business."

In fact, he had another billionaire statistic to throw at the PBS interviewer: "We've hosted over a billion online games. That's a staggering number. I mean, it's the productivity of a small nation wrapped up in just EA Sports online."

It's a little strange to think that there are more gamers in the world than there are people living in every country but India and China, but ... it's also kind of cool, too.

(Via Edge)

Heh, they cannot stop us now...
There are too many of us... soon we will rise and become the Overlords! (minus minions, armours, weapons and magic, unless you want it, but you have to make it yourself.)

Basically... Nice.

Man...that picture is creppy! Take it away!!!!

OT:Hooray for videogames?

He looks like Mr. Rogers mixed with the devil. That picture isn't very becoming.

Anyways, I'm not surprised about the number of gamers. Even for $500 for everything needed to start gaming (console-wise anyways), it is still much cheaper than other hobbies after you play for a year or two. The cost to entertainment ratio really starts to balance itself out.

That smile wins over the shareholders by terrifying them into submission.

He's got a look in his eyes which says "I just slept with your wife, and there's nothing you can do about it because I'm so bloody rich. Now I'm going to go smoke a cigar and laugh at some poor people."

That means that gamers make up 1/6-1/7 of the global population. That's just cool.

Amnestic:
He's got a look in his eyes which says "I just slept with your wife, and there's nothing you can do about it because I'm so bloody rich. Now I'm going to go smoke a cigar and laugh at some poor people."

That means that gamers make up 1/6-1/7 of the global population. That's just cool.

At least he doesn't look half-evil like Bobby Kotick.

And yeah just 10 years ago, gaming was still treated as childish hobby.

Yaaay!

We're gaining power in numbers =D

Next task, form a country -.-

Gamers of the world unite! Rise up and throw off your oppress - okay yeah, I'm done with that. It's still a nifty statistic.

Real Gonzo:

Amnestic:

At least he doesn't look half-evil like Bobby Kotick.

And yeah just 10 years ago, gaming was still treated as childish hobby.

I'm pretty sure its still looked upon as a childish hobby.

ansem1532:
Yaaay!

We can form a government led mainly by the most prolific posting and well respected members of The Escapist (including myself, naturally - OK, enough egotrip for one post), and wage war on China, as we'll be the only country with the numbers to do so! Make /b/ illegal in our borders and sentence all /b/tards to torture by forcing them to watch kid-friendly anime (so no hentai, true torture for the /b/tard). We will rise up, it's only a matter of time!

This figure is including people who play mobile phones games and whatnot too?

Do such people really count? Seriously?

Judging by the direction military technology is going, a nation formed by gamers will achieve military domination of the planet in relatively short order.

All from the comfort of our subterranean basements, where the deadly rays of the sun cannot reach our pale, bloated bodies.

Trivun:

ansem1532:
Yaaay!

We can form a government led mainly by the most prolific posting and well respected members of The Escapist (including myself, naturally - OK, enough egotrip for one post), and wage war on China, as we'll be the only country with the numbers to do so! Make /b/ illegal in our borders and sentence all /b/tards to torture by forcing them to watch kid-friendly anime (so no hentai, true torture for the /b/tard). We will rise up, it's only a matter of time!

Destroy all humans! Except one...

But hell yeah! We've got enough people now considered 'gamers' by the general populace to actually be seen as a legitimate force! Holy shit!

(Okay, yeah, mobile users and things are pretty weak, but dude - that still means there's a shitload of us actual gamers, even without them.)

Trivun:
snip

Yes, yes!

To the gyrocopter, we must take action!

5.5 billion to go!

The more gamers the merrier, gaming has become a vital part in modern society and culture, just like with the TV. Makes for more online fun and violence, but also for a lot more idiots in my fps games -_-

ansem1532:

Trivun:
snip

Yes, yes!

To the gyrocopter, we must take action!

To the HindenTrivun!

Sounds like it could be an accurate figure. I mean, if you were to ask people even if they played BEjeweled madness on the Iphone, still counts as a game...so, I can certainly believe those numbers!

A nice figure to pull out of your hat but the question has to be asked; What constitutes a gamer? someone who plays just 5 minutes a day or 10 minutes or 6 hours a day, someone who has a console and has played it at least once, someone who play on their phone when they are bored?

I think that it is coming to point where we no longer need to classify gamers as such since so many people play games even if it just on their Iphones once a day whilst waiting for the bus that the title "gamer" is becoming less a title and more just another facet of everyday life.

When it comes to number i think that it would probably be larger then 1 Billion people but then that still depends on your definition of a gamer.

Amnestic:

Actually, for some reason it reminds me of the James Bond villain look.

Good news is good: more gamers hopefully means less pointless gaming regulations in the long run.

I should send EA a 60 dollar check to work on Mirror's Edge 2.

The next step is gaming countries.

A billion gamers and yet they still treat games as if they are created for children. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

Wow, the gaming community is bigger than China now.

So... About 1 in 6 people are gamers worldwide? It's kinda mind-numbing to comprehend that in a global scale. Though it does mean that video games aren't some goofy children's fad like so many old people and government big-wigs like to think.

That mans face is entirely devoid of any trace of humanity.

Still though its good to see games becoming more and more popular worldwide.

Sorry but playing tetris and an occasional sports game doesn't make you a gamer.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here