Mysterious Blue Spiral Light Appears in Norwegian Sky

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Mysterious Blue Spiral Light Appears in Norwegian Sky

Astronomers and Norwegian citizens alike have been baffled by the appearance of a strange blue spiral light in the sky above the Scandinavian country last night: Was it aliens, evil Russians, or just a Dante's Inferno marketing stunt?

This one goes under "holy crap": The astronomical community (and the Norwegians) have been all up in a tizzy since the appearance of a bizarre spiral light in the night sky, reports the Daily Mail.

Witnesses in the north of the country reported an unusual atmospheric phenomenon that began when "what appeared to be a blue light seemed to soar up from behind a mountain. It stopped mid-air, then began to circulate ... Within seconds a giant spiral had covered the entire sky. Then a green-blue beam of light shot out from its centre - lasting for ten to twelve minutes before disappearing completely."

The Norwegian Meteorological Institute was hammered by a flood of telephone calls after the light show had concluded, though astronomers say that the startling display was not connected to the Aurora Borealis. Though Tromsø Geophysical Observatory researcher Truls Lynne Hansen said he believed the light had been the result of a Russian missile that had spun out of control and exploded - with the mysterious spiral light a result of moonlight reflecting off the missile's fuel - the Russians initially denied any missile tests had been conducted in the area last night.

Besides, one look at the pictures should tell you that an exploding rocket probably wouldn't look like that - nor would it last over ten minutes. From the pictures, it really does seem like some gigantic CG display, and one Norwegian witness added that he "initially thought it was a projector."

The Escapist's own Jordan Deam, after viewing the videos on YouTube, observed that it was obviously a wormhole through which aliens had reached the earth (and watching the second video, the phenomenon's disappearance certainly does look like what you'd imagine a wormhole to look like).

Others, like Escapist forumgoer Carnagath, joked that it might be a Dante's Inferno marketing stunt (for the sin of "Astronomy" or "Being Norwegian"), though Senior Editor Susan Arendt was quick to point out that it was clearly a Ubisoft logo, not an EA one.

Reports of young Kryptonian babies being found in the Norwegian wilderness in the direction of the light remain uncorroborated. As for my personal take on the matter? Well, anyone who has seen uber-mecha anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann knows that a blue-green spiral light can only mean one thing: Somewhere, ridiculously huge giant robots are fighting, and it is completely awesome.

Update: Apparently, official word is that it was a failed Russian test of a Bulava missile fired from a submarine in the White Sea. But I don't know, this feels a little like "oh, it was swamp gas reflected off a weather balloon" to me. How exactly does a failed missile result in a perfectly spiral twelve-minute light show? I could certainly understand a missile producing a light show like, say this one from November 1st, but this looks nothing like a missile at all.

Update 2: Okay, so a genuine rocket scientist whose name may or may not be Dr. Atlantis has some computer simulations that would show how this phenomenon would be created, and it's a bit easier to swallow now. But ... I mean, come on, the guy's name is Dr. Atlantis! He's either an alien or a supervillain, and either way you know he's gotta be in on it.

I'm still going with the Spiral Power Giant Robots thing, though. I like it best.

(Thanks, Carnagath!)

Ubisoft strikes again...

EDIT: They bought the sky and is proving it
EDIT2: Also, is it a coincidence that it happened on the 9th December 2009?
09/12/09?
QUICK someone check for that date in the bible! Dante's Inferno is on!

News have confirmed it as a Russian missile...

Blue lights from space...WE RE NOT ALONE! *panic*

Dele:

Source?

If you listen very closely, you can hear all the alien fanatics in the world jizz in their pants and jump onto the internet forum train.

TheNamlessGuy:
Ubisoft strikes again...

Haha, I laughed.

To be honest, I'm not at all pleased with this light. Things in the sky are always cause for concern.

'Cause nothing is supposed to be there.

lvl9000_woot:
Sorry Funk, Carnagath beat you to it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.160449

... I highly recommend you reread the original post here. :P

I'm sorry, it would appear my Spirit Bomb went a little off course.

Hadron Collider anyone?

Military Experts are calling this a Cynosural Field.

Props for the reference.

Dang. It looks like God's messing around with Photoshop...in the sky...

That, or it's another marketing ploy from those guys from Dante's Inferno's again.

The video looks pretty cool to me. I don't really know what it is, but it certainly does look like what I would imagine a wormhole would look like.

CantFaketheFunk:

Dele:

Source?

Non-English. Russia has informed about their missile tests in the White Sea early on wednesday..

it could be any number of things that aren't too hard to replicate that type of thing

CantFaketheFunk:

Dele:

Source?

http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/-det-var-en-mislykket-rakettutskytning-fra-ubaat-3052536.html

It's in norwegian but I read the words-russiske militæret which I guess is russian military and Bulava-missil which I guess is missle, but it's only a guess :)

Dude, where is my crowbar?

CantFaketheFunk:
As for my personal take on the matter? Well, anyone who has seen uber-mecha anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann knows that a blue-green spiral light can only mean one thing: Somewhere, ridiculously huge giant robots are fighting, and it is completely awesome.

Glad I'm not the only one who read "mysterious blue spiral light" and immediately thought that. Sky has officially been pierced.

Here is some real stuff in English

Does anyone know from how far off this could be seen?

Dele:

Bullshit. Quoting Funk here : How exactly does a failed missile result in a perfectly spiral twelve-minute light show?
Seriously, I'd love to know (I mean it).

McCa:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/-det-var-en-mislykket-rakettutskytning-fra-ubaat-3052536.html&sl=no&tl=en

There you go Guys.

I believe I just Ninja'd you.

Pfft...I see that all the time.

Damn Dantes inferno ads!

Oh my God!!

The Spiral curse has begun! Run for your life, don't let the spiral catch you!!!

You don't want this to happen:

Or this:

http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/8/12/

Uber Evil:

McCa:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://www.tv2nyhetene.no/utenriks/-det-var-en-mislykket-rakettutskytning-fra-ubaat-3052536.html&sl=no&tl=en

There you go Guys.

I believe I just Ninja'd you.

And for that. You die.

Julianking93:
Oh my God!!

The Spiral curse has begun! Run for your life, don't let the spiral catch you!!!

You don't want this to happen:

Or this:

http://www.onemanga.com/Uzumaki/8/12/

What the hell is that comic?

Looks like the Norse have angered the Anti-Spirals. Better get Gurren-Lagann over there quick. How do you say "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM??" in Norwegian?

i love Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway and Sweden), we may not understand what each other say but we can read it.

and to all you Finns out there, im sorry but you are not Scandinavians.

oh and OT, i believe in the rocket, i have no idea of how a rocket works except that it goes boom and disarming one often require some QTE, so unless some credible source comes whit a different explanation i believe it.

in soviet Russia weird blue spiral makes rockets!

OMG, I only just realized...it's not Ubisoft or even Dante's Inferno...the spiral...

DREAMCAST IS RETURNING!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!

ErGo:

Dele:

Bullshit. Quoting Funk here : How exactly does a failed missile result in a perfectly spiral twelve-minute light show?
Seriously, I'd love to know (I mean it).

Simple. It doesn't. Even if there was a failed missle launch, and even if it could make an image like that, there is no way that a failed missle launch could A) Cause that kind of perfect spiral for 12 fucking minutes, without changing into some crazy course and B) explain the light coming off the ground like that. Just no way.

Honestly, I'm not buying the whole "it was a Russian missile" thing. First and foremost, the detonation of the combustible materials in a missile or rocket will glow white or yellow-orange, and produce a fast-moving shockwave through the air. The anomaly lasted far too long to have been propelled using an electromagnetic ion propulsion system (does produce a blue emission, but not as long as this did). I'm guessing this was some sort of cosmic event, likely either the death of a massive star somewhere in that direction, or perhaps some sort of cosmic collision.

Either way, how dare the Ruski's take credit for it?!

As a student of Physics, I have to say this is absolutely fascinating, and though I'm nowhere near the calibre of researcher that the professional folks are, that hasn't stopped me thus far from digging up information on emissions spectra and combustible materials formulas.

Susan Arendt:
OMG, I only just realized...it's not Ubisoft or even Dante's Inferno...the spiral...

DREAMCAST IS RETURNING!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!

THERE IS A GOD!!!!!

Get your guns, people. Aliens are coming!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here