Army of Two Producer Says Modern Warfare 2 Went Too Far

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Army of Two Producer Says Modern Warfare 2 Went Too Far

The producer of Army of Two: 40th Day said that Infinity Ward pushed the boundaries with the airport scene in MW2 and that he "wouldn't have done it."

Matt Turner, writer and producer of the forthcoming Army of Two: 40th Day, told Computer and Videogames that the makers of Modern Warfare 2 went too far with the notorious scene, but that's ultimately a good thing. He goes on to give respect to Infinity Ward with a "hat's off." Army of Two: The 40th Day will be released on January 13th, 2010.

"You're playing a CIA agent, it's designed to show the atrocities... it's pretty awful and if you fail to see that side of it than you're not getting the whole picture," Turner said. "That being said, I thought it took it a little far; it was pretty out there. But I like seeing that they have guts like that."

Turner goes on:

I say maybe they pushed it too far but in a way that's a good thing because the media of videogames is very young. We have to start pushing limits, making statements and seeing what kind of social and cultural relevance that we can have which hasn't really been nailed yet. I think [Infinity Ward] were pushing towards that direction and trying to make people experience something truly terrible.

Whether they were successful or not I'll leave up to the players to decide, but I liked the fact that they were trying something new that people haven't done before. I think that's really gutsy and my hat's off to Infinity Ward for trying at least.

It's interesting to hear one developer directly comment on another's work. MW2 has polarized our culture, and that is also true of game designers. The lasting effect of the airport scene remains to be seen. Will we see other developers try to emulate experiencing such atrocities from the point of view of a terrorist?

Source: CVG

So going to far is good now....?

That means saw 7 will be entertaining now.

Make a good game, Mr. Turner, then I'll give a shit about your opinion.

What about the incredibly offensive douchebag protagonists of Army of Two?. That said, how the hell is that mission so controversial again? You've killed innocent people in many, many games, right? Just not in a CoD game before.

Steelfists:

Quoted for truth.

A man who makes a game thats is an immature 10 year olds fantasy has no right to complain about anything.

Not like it matters.

Everyone knows that the governments are going to unite and ban Video Games as though they encouraging kids to support Naziism if Australia is anything to go by. *sigh*

I mean the mission in question was brutal (to me)but I don't remember the bad guys at all laughing or saying how fun it was to mow down unarmed people in the airport. Please don't think I'm against Modern Warfare, just saying that level was a bit brutal to me.

While I'm inclined to loath any news about MW2 because I'm bloody sick of hearing about it, I think I might be able to take this tidbit more seriously if it wasn't somebody from the Army of Two franchise saying it. That series did after all prompt the creation of this comic to highlight the ridiculous juxtaposition of frat boy spring break antics with freaking genocide.

I think he was just jealous of a design team that doesn't make crap.

That game designer sounds like a pussy.

The whole concept of the GTA is to kill innocent people and now because MW2 does it, it makes it horribly controversial?

No.

Reading these comments makes me suspect I may in fact be the only person on these forums to have thoroughly enjoyed Army of Two.

Is this the thread where I get to post the "I bet none of you tossers have made any game at all, Army of Two made a profit and he's actually in games design so I'd wager his opinion is a tad more worthy than yours, Mr. Anonymous Internet Poster #35489780701760487" card?

Sonicron:
Reading these comments makes me suspect I may in fact be the only person on these forums to have thoroughly enjoyed Army of Two.

I loved Army of Two. It's a good game to mess around in.

Steelfists:

QFT

DeMoNxDaVe:
That game designer sounds like a pussy.

The whole concept of the GTA is to kill innocent people and now because MW2 does it, it makes it horribly controversial?

No.

Er, no, its not. The point of GTA is to kill various gangsters, thugs, and associated goons. They just don't stop you killing innocent people.

In other words: My game is shit because I didn't take it too far. Had I taken it to the point of "rebellious" my game would be a huge, popular success.

Sonicron:

And yes, perhaps you are.

No.

Er, no, its not. The point of GTA is to kill various gangsters, thugs, and associated goons. They just don't stop you killing innocent people.

You must play it the boring way then lol ;)

Well, it's a good thing they're making inferior games instead of creating controversy. And I don't really think MW2 is much of a game... that should say something.

Yet another idiot who thinks that what MW2 did was 'pushing boundaries'. For the love of [god, Krishna, the great fish of Ulm, etc], the MW2 airport level was NOT original. Players have ben forced to commit atrocities in games in the past, the only thing Infinity Ward did better was that they made it gratuitous and out of place enough to stir up controversy. The only thing they're pushing the boundaries of is bad sensationalist marketing.

i still don't understand the big huff about being a terrorist in a game. Seriously in GTA You can walk down the Street bludgeon a mans head in take his car and run over his wife. Then when your done doing that blow up a string of cars killing a unknown amount of people. Yet shooting people as a terrorist is Worse?

Steelfists:

Army of Two was not a bad game hell I thought it was kinda fun.But even if a game is bad try to think of some positive things about it,like how much effort was put into developing it.

DeMoNxDaVe:

Thank you!! I raised the exact same point a while back. Yes GTA has had its bad publicity, but with MW2 they blew it right up...also I'm getting sick of MW2 threads now, no matter how much I like the game.

Furburt:

Steelfists:

Quoted for truth.

A man who makes a game thats is an immature 10 year olds fantasy has no right to complain about anything.

He's not really complaining about it. Instead, it seemed like he was complementing Infinity Ward for having the guts to do this. At least that's the impression I got from the article.

OT: I'm all for games pushing boundaries, but only if it serves a purpose within the game. And that's why I'm not to fond of this level. I haven't played Modern Warfare 2, so I may be wrong when I say this. But from what I've heard from other people this level didn't have a major impact on the games story, and was unnecessary. In that case I do have a problem with them putting this into the game because then they are just trying to create controversy. It's hard to justify this scene in the game when it was only done for controversy. That just makes the entire industry look bad.

But again, I haven't actually played Modern Warfare 2 so it might actually have a significant purpose.

Xcelsior:

DeMoNxDaVe:

Thank you!! I raised the exact same point a while back. Yes GTA has had its bad publicity, but with MW2 they blew it right up...also I'm getting sick of MW2 threads now, no matter how much I like the game.

It's not controversial just because your killing innocent people. The game has you play the role of a terrorist (or rather, someone pretending to be one). Considering how much fear there still is surrounding terrorism, a game having you directly mimic their actions is bound to grab some attention.

DeMoNxDaVe:

Too controversial Matt Turner? Fuck you.

But he said it was a good thing. Why are all of you guys insulting him over this? I don't get it.

Sonicron:

haha well I enjoyed it while it lasted (not thoroughly tho), but believe me I tried to love it and was really excited to finally play it with my roommate
in the end it did leave me a bit wanting (even with the alternate ending dlc) but at least I'm having some hope the sequel will be everlasting =)

Xcelsior:

DeMoNxDaVe:

You are welcome good sir, now excuse me while I smash pregnant babies with British bones.

Too controversial Matt Turner? Fuck you.

When I saw this, I almost expected Turner to start complaining that the whole of 'No Russian' being so epic that it makes his own game look like crap or something. But he just complained about it going to far. Oh well, guess I'll find something else to laugh about.

"Oh no! A game put you in the shoes of a fictional terrorist made of pixels against fictional people made of pixels! THE HORROR!

Seriously, fiction is fiction. Stop making such a big deal about it.

Steelfists:

Agreed.

Or at least a game that isn't about two closeted, overcompensating douchebags shooting people for money.

Problem is, that Games are mainly for entertainment, and aren't considered by the mainstream as a serious art form. So, the main reaction you're gonna get is "Massacring(spell check?) Innocents is fun?"

In the end it got MW2 plastered all over the news which helped them sell their game (which is what they meant to do). Best part of this whole MW2 thing are the amount of people I'm running into saying "Woa! have you seen Modern Warfare 2? It's so realistic! i think i'm going to get an xbox360 now and get that game!" (btw, they've never heard of the other games)

WHERE THE HELL HAVE PEOPLE BEEN? This is prrrrrobably the least realistic version of the game to date. Love how media, news and hype bring 'em outta the woodwork.

Steelfists:

Erm... He has a valid point. Or should I say points. Those valid points stand whether or not he has a degree in science, mops floors at McDonalds or is a video game designer. And he has made good games. And whether a game is good or not is, I don't know, subjective?

Stupid remarks aside, the man is totally right. Games have to keep pushing the boundries and showing that games aren't "just" for kids. They can tell a story that's funny or tragic and show glimpses of life where a movie or a book perhaps couldn't. I'm glad they made the scene, it blew me away. I managed to persuade myself to start ripping shit up, and while doing it a voice said in my head "it's only a game, you would never do this IRL".

I FELT something in that scene. I hope games keep doing these kind of things, I'm tired of the blandness most games have. You play it, you forget it.

Oh and the multiplayer sucks hard. Way unbalanced! Just wanted people to know

Furburt:

Steelfists:

Quoted for truth.

Quoted for truth!

I agree!

Pff, the only reason he wouldn't have done it was because he wasn't MAN enough to do it.

Why is he relevant and why does what he says matter?

I think in context of his whole statement he's not quite the "know-it-all" we're making him out to seem. Just wouldn't have done it himself I suppose. He actually gives IW props for trying a new thing.

"went too far with the notorious scene, but that's ultimately a good thing."

"Whether they were successful or not I'll leave up to the players to decide, but I liked the fact that they were trying something new that people haven't done before. I think that's really gutsy and my hat's off to Infinity Ward for trying at least."

Onyx Oblivion:
You've killed innocent people in many, many games, right? Just not in a CoD game before.

But in CoD your playing as a "terrorist".And playing as a "terrorist" might make kids think that "terrorism" is cool,and that the game will make them "terrorists".

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here