Wii Gets Superly Smashing 500th Downloadable Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wii Gets Superly Smashing 500th Downloadable Game

The Nintendo Wii hits a milestone today, adding its 500th downloadable game to the WiiWare and Virtual Console rosters - and guess what it is?

If you answered "Super Smash Bros," then congratulations - give yourself a pat on the back - because you're completely correct! If you didn't answer "Super Smash Bros," then, uh... I can't really help you there. But yes, the grandpappy of one of the Wii's most popular titles is now available on the Virtual Console for the price of 1000 Wii Points - and hey, just in time for the series finale of There Will Be Brawl, too. All three Smash Bros games are now at last playable on a single console, in case you wanted to, you know, switch it up for ... whatever reason.

In case you're not into the whole Smashing of Brothers Superly, there's also the original arcade version of Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden, also known as the Team Ninja game before they discovered modern jiggle technology, and that'll only set you back a mere 1000 Wii Points. But surely you'd rather play one of the most beloved N64 titles of all time, right? Not saying that Ninja Gaiden's bad or anything, but you can't Donkey-Kong-Punch Link in the face in it.

As for WiiWare, new additions include Eco Shooter: Plant 530, a recycling-oriented shooter, party trivia game TV Show King 2, action platformer Pallurikio, and a Christmas helper app called Happy Holidays Christmas.

Yeah, no offense guys, but I'll stick with the Super Smash Bros for now.

I just bought it. Ah the memories.

Sweet! I never got to play the N64 Smash Bros. ( I rented it once but never bought it). I'll be buying that over the summer when my Wii is home and hooked up to the internet.

yesssssssssssssssssssss freaking freaking freaking yes, its was reviewed in onm teased to come out around the realse date of brawl, and i didnt buy because i was told to get the new one. finaly 8 years of waiting over

i should get wiiware sometime.

rokkolpo:

Well, this is Virtual Console, not WiiWare, but they're both sold in the same place.

OT: I guess they were waiting until an event like this to finally put this in the Wii Shop. However, I will not likely buy it, as I have access to an N64 copy of the game. Either way, I hope this gets more people to actually appreciate the "smash"-ing success that was Super Smash Bros.

I wasted hours on that game as a child...I just might get it.

Sweet, I think they should have released this game along with Eternal Darkness/Duck Hunt on the same day as Halo 3 though.

That would make some hilarious numbers.

Anyone here have the "Hey You Pikachu" N64? that was BA.

I'll be sure not to alert my Tourneyfag friends.

They'll probably never switch on another platform for about six months.

Really, that brings some good memories...would get it if I had a Wii!
Or when I get one...

I bought the wii primarily for the virtual console.

Oh, and homebrew.

Check out Uncharted Waters: New Horizons and Super Metroid next!

I'm wounded cause i sold my wii.

Hmm, Super Smash Bros has been out on the Virtual Console in Australia for 6 months now. Finally Nintendo America screwed up and gave the Australians something first!!

In the senior lounge in my school we have an N64 and all everyone plays is Super Smash Bros. Its like a culture now. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to see this online.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Such great memories!

I already have the version with all those characters and Roy, so why would I get this one?

Where's Dads credit card?

JWAN:
Anyone here have the "Hey You Pikachu" N64? that was BA.

I remember the commercial with the depressed Pit Bull talking about how his owner ignores him.

i guess conker's bad fur day won't be on the wii eh? ... but by the time i get a wii there will be 600 games and the new wii 2 will be out soon after

Well, it's a game with Ness in it on the virtual console. That's getting closer, right?

jimduckie:
i guess conker's bad fur day won't be on the wii eh?

None of Rare's games will appear on the Wii. Well, it could, if Microsoft and Nintendo learn that sharing means they'll both get a profit out of it.(it's not as simple as this, but Rare is owned by Microsoft and Nintendo will own at least some part of Rare's games from the N64)

Ahh that game brings back such fond memories. It had an amazing ad campaign here in the UK. I mean how could any Nintendo fan see it and NOT want a game with all their favourite characters in it?

My brother always shut the console off when I was about to win.

I hate him for that.

Still got it though, no need to buy it again.

Wow, I hope one of my wii owning friends buys it!

No Doctor Mario or Big Blue?

Not interested.

I lied. DO WANT!

Scrythe:

FINAL DESTINATION FGT!

I would buy it...but my N64 still works.

I'm not dropping another point onto my VC until it is used to purchase Earthbound.

Wow, I thought it was already on the Virtual Console (GameFAQs has had something devoted to it for a while, now).

Not sure if I'll buy it. Not because I still own the game, but because I'm not sure it would feel right playing without an N64 controller.

Gamecube Controller support?

NeutralDrow:
Wow, I thought it was already on the Virtual Console (GameFAQs has had something devoted to it for a while, now).

Not sure if I'll buy it. Not because I still own the game, but because I'm not sure it would feel right playing without an N64 controller.

It's been in the PAL regions (I think, I only know that Australia had it) for six months now!

what a classic.thats a bit much tho, but since i havent bought points in a while i forgot how much they are going for. ill stick the the super bros. wii for now :0

Hell yeah Bitches

AWESOME :D

...I mean, it's kind of rendered completely irrelevant since you can play both of the far-superior sequels on the Wii as-is but WOW!

Scrythe:

God do tourney tards piss me off.

Amnestic:

FINAL DESTINATION FGT!

I would buy it...but my N64 still works.

Is that a joke?
My still works but I still bought it anyway.

rokkolpo:

WiiWare isn't really something you buy, it's just a flashy name Nintendo used for original titles that you can download on the Wii. It's like saying that you need to buy X-Box Live Arcade sometime.

That said though, there are some good games on there. Mega Man 9 (and soon 10) if nothing else.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here