EA Shutting Down "Older" Game Servers in February

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA Shutting Down "Older" Game Servers in February

Electronic Arts has announced that it will be shutting down the online servers for several EA Sports games in February, most because of their age but at least a few, apparently, because they suck.

25 games from a wide range of franchises and platforms will get the ax on February 2, although EA warned that related services such as "certain community programs" may be taken down before that date. The full list of games losing server support is as follows:

• UEFA Champions League 07 PC and x360
  • Facebreaker x360 and PS3
  • Fantasy Football 09 x360 and PS3
  • FIFA 07 PSP, PS2, PC
  • Fight Night Round 3 PS2
  • Madden 08 Wii
  • Madden 08 PC
  • Madden 09 Xbox1
  • Madden 09 Wii and PSP
  • March Madness 07 x360
  • NBA 07 PSP, x360
  • NBA 08 PS2, PSP, Wii
  • NBA 09 Wii - Europe only
  • NBA Street (2007) PS3 and x360
  • NCAA Football 08 PS2
  • NCAA Football 09 PS2
  • NASCAR 08 PS2
  • NASCAR 09 PS2
  • NASCAR 09 PS3 and x360 - Europe Only
  • NFL Tour PS3 and x360
  • NHL 07 PSP and x360
  • NHL 08 PC
  • Tiger Woods 07 PC
  • Madden 09 x360 and PS3
  • Madden 07 Xbox 360

EA claimed in the announcement that the shutdown would affect "some older titles" but there are an awful lot of '08 and '09 games in that list, not exactly what you'd call long in the tooth. Some of the shutdowns are fairly obvious - the European NASCAR servers, for instance, and I don't think many tears will be shed over the demise of Facebreaker - but a few are rather surprising, the mighty Madden series foremost among them. An occasional housecleaning is one thing, but pulling the plug on Madden 09 barely a month into 2010 somehow seems a bit more ominous. The full announcement can be read at ea.com.

Gee, wonder if people will finally realize the importance of dedicated servers...

... I'm overrating people again ain't I?

Caliostro:
Gee, wonder if people will finally realize the importance of dedicated servers...

Came to say this. Dedicated servers can exist forever - I do believe Mechwarrior 4 is one such example of the game where the online play was picked up by consumers after being dropped by the developer.

For games like Modern Warfare 2 it might not be a huge issue considering its popularity, but one day the servers will be dropped, killing the multiplayer forever.

Caliostro:

A-yup.

Caliostro:

Yup.

But jeez, taking down Facebreaker already? That's kinda fast... but hey, i dont play most of those anyway, so i don't really care.

That's pretty insane, although Madden is a VERY american title, I can imagine it having a huge following.

I guess it gets people to buy their new titles?

Facebreaker is a bit of a surprise.

I guess id be pissed if I played any of those games. But I dont. So shut em down for all I care, this is just another example of why games need dedicated servers.....-.-

Not Tiger Woods 07! NO!

Amnestic:

Caliostro:

Came to say this. Dedicated servers can exist forever - I do believe Mechwarrior 4 is one such example of the game where the online play was picked up by consumers after being dropped by the developer.

For games like Modern Warfare 2 it might not be a huge issue considering its popularity, but one day the servers will be dropped, killing the multiplayer forever.

Good point, games need a split screen multiplayer too, I dont think you were saying this, but i thought of that while reading what you said. I say this because for christmas my family abode finally got a 360, we are PC geeks, and only one game lets somebody else in the room play with you, and thats only co-op mode. It's really sad that we can have a room full of people who like the game, but your forced to play with people across the world for any action.

Andy Chalk:

EA claimed in the announcement that the shutdown would affect "some older titles" but there are an awful lot of '08 and '09 games in that list, not exactly what you'd call long in the tooth.

Couldn't have put it better myself. So I didn't try.

Some of them not a surprise but some of the recent one!? o.O Seems a little strange and odd politics

They should be forced to support games sold with any online aspect until nobody uses them at all. People should get what they paid for.

Maybe EA will wise up and stop releasing new sports games every year. We really DON'T need a new Madden every year. All we mainly need are roster updates..

They can do what they want with those games in my opinion. It's when they shut down the services to Fifa 09 that I will care and OH HO HO - You just caught me being sarcastic! Seing as the EA Sports servers are awful anyway I'm not sure TOO MANY people care...

Judging by the list, this seems like a simple means for EA to force everyone to upgrade to they latest rehash of identical sports games.

mikecoulter:
They should be forced to support games sold with any online aspect until nobody uses them at all. People should get what they paid for.

Agreed, they should, but then again, the bottom line is probably what dictated the demise of these servers. I am not going to act surprised that a company bypassed the customers to do something that was 'for the greater good.'

OP

Concerning the games lost? I don't play any of them, and never will. I hate sports games.

Why does Facebreaker need some kind of server support? Can't you just use peer-to-peer connection? It's 1-on-1, after all.

HAH! TAKE THAT SPORTS GAMES!

I bet no one is even on those servers. 2009 xbox1 madden, NBA 09 Wii, I'd say those are dead online. Sports games die quick deaths as they soon become outdated by the new release, roster updates etc.

This is one of the whole issues I have with multiplayer online games right now. When the company decides to kill a server you really have nothing you can do about it.

I look at games like "Demon's Souls" (which I am slowly slogging through), without online support that game would be missing half the point (to me). 2-3 years down the road if I decide I want to rev up Demon's Souls it's going to blow chips if the servers are dead.

As far as Madden 09 goes, that's not a good sign, but it does say Xbox1 so that makes me think that the original X-box version didn't see many sales.

I guess they think if they discontinue madden 09, madden 10 will sell more. Except people will also realize that madden 09 was quickly discontinued and know that madden 10 may not have online capability for all that long... much in the same way that 09 is discontinued.

Caliostro:

Yup - rather ironically most of these are console games. Weren't all the console gamers telling the PC crowd to stop going on about dedicated servers?

Capo Taco:
I guess they think if they discontinue madden 09, madden 10 will sell more. Except people will also realize that madden 09 was quickly discontinued and know that madden 10 may not have online capability for all that long... much in the same way that 09 is discontinued.

It says Madden 09 for Xbox 1 I'm guessing they're only shutting down the old Xbox servers and not the 360 ones.

Edit wait no theres the 360 one too.

I was all set to insinuate that the EA we all know and loathe, which has mysteriously seemed to change its ways recently, was back in action - until I read the list and realized it was just the annual sports games and I don't actually care about those.

So this news gets a resounding 'meh' from me. Screw sports games!

Amnestic:

Caliostro:

And at that point, all 500 people still playing it will have to move on. The horror!

Well, its odd they're closing Madden 09's servers already, though. It's been 2 years.

Caliostro:

It would be nice to think that you aren't... But I've never been THAT much of an optimist. Still... I can dream of a world one day where Australians enjoy R rated games, with heavy gore, slaughtering noobs on dedicated servers... *sigh*

On Topic: I don't really care, I don't play many sports games. I did quite enjoy FIFA though... Anyway, still seems like it's a bit early to be shutting down any of those servers.

Dang can't not belive facebreaker would be on there

Onyx Oblivion:

Amnestic:

Caliostro:

And at that point, all 500 people still playing it will have to move on. The horror!

Well, its odd they're closing Madden 09's servers already, though. It's been 2 years.

Well if they've been playing it for that long, chances are they quite like the game. Those 500 people just lost a favourite multiplayer because the Powers that Be said so, even though dedicated servers would allow people to continue to enjoy the product that they paid for.

It'd be a horror if you were one of the 500, I would wager.

Amnestic:

Onyx Oblivion:

Amnestic:

Caliostro:

Well if they've been playing it for that long, chances are they quite like the game. Those 500 people just lost a favourite multiplayer because the Powers that Be said so, even though dedicated servers would allow people to continue to enjoy the product that they paid for.

It'd be a horror if you were one of the 500, I would wager.

Not really, I'd understand that this saves them money. Business is business, fuck the small number of people still playing. That's right, I sympathize with big business.

Amnestic:

Caliostro:

Came to say this pretty much... And this is becoming a frequent occurrence from what I've seen. (the coming in to say this and being beaten to the punch by you)

Oh, thank christ Battlefield 2 isn't affected.

Weight off my mind.

This is all only because EA run their own shitty game matching service in the first place.

You'll note that games which just use Xbox Live, Playstation Network, etc are not going to be affected.

Well sucks for anyone that like to buy older sports games or second hand ones... seems to me they just want more money from the people undecided to get the new FIFA or Madden or whatever....

EA Servers SUCK anyway...

sunami88:

Andy Chalk:

EA claimed in the announcement that the shutdown would affect "some older titles" but there are an awful lot of '08 and '09 games in that list, not exactly what you'd call long in the tooth.

Couldn't have put it better myself. So I didn't try.

yeah but you have to remember 09 games where released mid 08 in most cases and 08 games likewise in 07 so technically these are games that are 1-2 yrs old i personally think the 09 ones should be shut down after the '11 ones come out in june at least then you allow people who only pick up every 2nd incarnation of the sports games to keep playing online

they could also argue that its to prevent the community spreading out over 5 years worth of games but meh

yeah dedicated servers are underappreciated by console gamers but many of them have never had them and others plain dont understand what they mean

i still think its ridiculous that an XBOX live scrip doesnt get you dedicated servers for every game(i dont care if it uses some stupid proprietary MM service and the dedi's are just sitting on the back end of the setup but your charging me to use my internet to Lan with other people) so long as the consoles cant have mods theyll be no outcry for dedi servers because people dont realise that half the time they have an unbalanced MP

MW2 will go down in 2 years and you know it regardless of popularity 5 months after MW3 comes out boom youve had time to buy the new one now get your ass in there

id be more angry if i had some online DLC purchased that i could no longer use as a result

whew that turned into a WALL o' TEXT

it could be that no one is playing those games, so they have no reason carry on hosting them and this would make the few that do go out and get an updated version.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here